“Lovely holiday”

Sol Don Pablo by Melia
Ranked #9 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My husband of 8 months, my mother and I have just returned from a lovely week at the Sol Don Pablo. We had a wonderful time. They accommodated all my requests which I had made in advance - to have my mother close by as she is 79 now, to have a room on a high floor with a sunny balcony and sea views. The location is so handy to Malaga airport - we just got a taxi straight from the airport. The food was superb - we were half board and every meal was delicious. The hotel is spotlessly clean in all areas. I can definitely recommend this hotel - we wouldn't have a single complaint. I had never been to Torremolinis either and it's a really nice resort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank chrhug47
Write a ReviewReviews (2,574)

Reviewed 6 July 2014

I have returned to this hotel for the nineth year and will be booking it for next year. The closeness to the beach is excellent. Hotel facilities and cleanliness first class. Reception very helpful whatever you request is supplied immediately. Entertainment provided was varied and good.Good excercise facilities e.g. aquaerobics and excercise classes Flat Green Bowling. For families there is a children's club

Room Tip: request a room facing the sea if you want a view rather than quiet.
2  Thank Titch06
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Arrived at the Sol Don Pablo after a 15 min taxi ride from the airport. It was a very last-minute booking so I wasn't sure what to expect. What a hotel!!! You are blown away by the sheer size of the hotel at reception. Check-in was a breeze and staff very welcoming. Room was on the 8th floor but there is ample lifts to accomodate guests although quite small (6 people max/4 if there's cases). The room was beautifully decorated and spotless clean. Fantastic water pressure in the shower too. I found the food at breakfast quite good with plenty of choice but can be a bit hectic as it's vastly spread out. The grounds and pool/spa areas of the hotel are a huge bonus and kept immaculate. People do arrive very early though to claim sun-loungers with towels and don't return until much later in the day. The location is fantastic....right across from the beach and in easy reach of all amenities. I can't wait to return to the Don Pablo later in the year as I had such a great time staying here! A huge thank you to all the staff and look forward to seeing you all again soon :-)

Room Tip: I stayed in room 833 (8th floor) which is at the start of the corridor as you come out of the lifts...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank PollyPaps
Reviewed 5 July 2014

Great hotel, good size room, staff really helpful & friendly. Good position for beach and promenade, with plenty of restaurants and bars nearby. Shame about some of the residents who are out on the pool terraces from 6.30a.m. putting out towels to reserve sunbeds, despite notices not to!! A good holiday all round, we would certainly return.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
2  Thank Derek Alfred F
Reviewed 5 July 2014

I am the type of person who spends ages when selecting an hotel and even though I researched others in the area and further afield I kept being drawn back to the sol don Pablo. I agree that the reception staff could be more friendly and informative. In addition we had to wait 1 hour and then a further hour for both rooms to be ready. We chose a triple with our 4 year old and got a fold up bed which was not ideal but as we was there for 5 days we didn't complain and she didn't even. Also I did email them ahead of our stay to see if anything could be done to make stay more special for other family we travelled with as there first holiday away and birthday but they did not respond to my request. This hotel ticks most of the boxes we had what I believe to be an older style room as no walk in shower but the room was immaculate and the cleaners great. We went full board and the food was perfect as caters for everyone, plentiful and great variety too the point that I was sick of the sight of food by the time we left and definitely came back a little heavier. Drinks are reasonably priced with a bottle of red for 9.50 euros water 2.00. Cocktails considerably more. Although you can access the other hotels we didn't as this had everything we needed great location, nice pools, good availability of entertainment day and night. Initially I was a bit skeptical as predominately attracts the maturer client but nothing to worry about as the clientele was very varied. Only downside was the pools was freezing could maybe be slightly heated but this did not prevent my daughter using teeth chattering an all. Location ideal as not far from the airport and right on the beach which is lovely but again freezing for this time of year and have to pay 9 euros for 2 sunbeds. All in all I would highly recommend this hotel too others as is up there with the best and would not disappoint.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Olivia L
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We stayed at this nice hotel just across from the beach for almost a week in late May, 2014. There were good and not so good things about it. When we arrived, the gentleman at the front desk seemed quite disinterested in us, despite my attempts to engage him in English and Spanish. We were simply checked in and handed a map of the place and sent on our way to the elevators. No bellman. No orientation to the building nor to the fact it is connected to 2 other partner hotels. Nothing. I ran into some other tourists the next day who were complaining about the lack of orientation, too. No one told us for example, where to find pool towels, if we had access to one or more pools, meal times. Only some of this information appeared in another brochure in the hotel rooms. Whether or not they had room service, I have no idea. Wifi? No one said anything but I discovered it was only available for free in the lobby. Lots of people sitting there early morning and late afternoon using their laptops!

We asked about a bank machine and were sent to the front desk of one of these three hotels. There, 2 male staff at reception confirmed there was a bank machine at the shop outside the gate (beach side) but not to use it because it was not reliable and to walk instead down to the main traffic circle (by the Tourist Information booth on the promenade) and walk up past the condos to the next intersection where we could find quite a few bank machines. Well, we did this only to discover later that there's a bank machine near the Irish pubs (just the other side of the Tourist Info Ctre) and... we saw lots of people using the ATM outside our hotel to boot! Hmm.

The entrance to the hotel from the beach promenade street is locked at a certain hour. No one told us that. We tried to get back in around 10 pm. Gate was locked. Pushed a button numerous times and finally, finally got back in. Similar problem with a gate that is always locked at the top of the stairs nearby that goes up to a restaurant (closed for the season) and the upper pool deck.

We were checked into an adequate room on the 9th floor with 3 beds (no balcony) but not the one we had booked and if my husband hadn't popped back down to the front desk, I wonder if we would have been relocated to the room with the King Size Bed with a balcony (on the same floor). He was told it was a simple transcription error from one list to the other when we checked in. Hmm. either way, both rooms were very clean and looked comfortable.

Our room on the 9th floor was situated towards the front lobby side of the building and had a lovely view. The bed and linens were clean and comfortable. Our room had a connecting door to the next one. Absolutely no soundproofing there! We could hear every single word the people next door were saying. Ugh. Didn't like that at all. (I'm sure they didn't either.) Thankfully they weren't big partiers! The bathroom was large and modern.

Lobby and other sitting areas: quaint with some old world charm but the furniture is very old and worn. The lobby bar/lounge was mostly quiet but at night had live entertainment and was packed each night. We only popped in from time to time, but what we saw was pretty good.

Pool bar and café (upper level near street entrance to beach). This is the only place we found fabulous, cheerful staff. The 2 women working here are SUPERB. And no matter how busy it got there, they never lost patience with anyone. We sat for long periods everyday near this pool and could see them from that vantage as well as have them serve us at the café for lunch. These ladies deserve tips!

Breakfast buffet. There is a very good selection here. Try their churros. I dipped them in the pancake syrups. Yummmmm!!! Coffee is okay but people don't seem to realize there are actually 2 machines in this restaurant so there is often a very long lineup at the one. Sooooo many people waiting to get hot water and tea bags. This does impede getting that darn morning coffee to get started. Ha-ha. (Perhaps this is because this hotel caters to Irish Senior's tours? :) ) We have no idea about lunch or supper in this restaurant. No one told us. Don't know if it was a la carte or menu or both. Looked like buffet. However, with all the great little eateries out on the promenade, we felt no need to eat here.

As stated, we often parked ourselves for a good part of the day at the 'upper' pool . Yikes! Freezing water!! Awful. Too bad, too because it was too cold to go into the Mediterranean so we opted for the pool. Darn. It really was rare to see anybody in any of the pools (except kids). Lots and lots of chairs around the pool, but go up a little higher and there are even more decks. They face the hotel or the beach. Lovely.

There were challenges with the shade umbrellas on the sundecks. By accident I ran into a man who seemed to be a general manager early one morning and asked for a little help (in Spanish and English). Oh, he was great! He was so professional and guest-oriented! What a pleasure! And not only did he get someone to help us quickly, he took a look around at other problems with the umbrellas (problems with the bases) and within the week we were there... voila.... all the bases were replaced with new ones that wouldn't tip over. Hooray!

Well, that is all we have to offer. Nice, comfortable hotel. Great churros. Great location. Pretty good entertainment in the evenings! Great female staff at the upper pool bar and café.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TrueCanucks
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We have just returned from Sol Don Pablo, in Torremolinos

Good points:
the hotel was nice and clean,
the bedrooms are nice and clean
the dinning area, and food was very nice, plenty to choose from.
Good choice of swimming pools
The pool and garden area very clean
the entertainment was brilliant!!
Right on the sea front, perfect location

Negatives
the staff in this hotel are very miserable and unfriendly, they do not like putting themselves out for you as all!!!
We got no information at all regarding where anything was in the hotel,on arrival!!
We tried to be friendly to the bar staff, but forget it!, not one member of staff smiled in 11 days we stayed their!!
there is not enough parasols around the pool areas!!

If you want to go to a nice friendly hotel then I would recommend the Riu or H10 hotels,
I will never go back to this hotel just because the members of staff spoilt it for us, very disappointed!!!

Room Tip: pay for sea view, is a must
3  Thank lisa6479