“Lovely Hotel / Poor Staff”
Review of Sol Don Pablo

Sol Don Pablo
Ranked #10 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel / Poor Staff”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Stayed for 2 weeks after seeing the great reviews on here, must say I was a little disappointed due to the unfriendliness and sometimes basic lack of manners of the waiters and reception staff.

The hotel, location and facilities are excellent with the food being good although a little repetitive. The hotel is just let down by the miserable people who work here. The waiters are the worst, the first nights meal I thought I was just unlucky but this continued for the whole 2 weeks. They are simply not interested in any interaction or even smiles. I don't know if I have just been spoilt with my last few holidays being in Egypt and Florida where the staff go above and beyond to make you feel welcome and enjoy the place but here was the polar opposite.

The entertainment team were better but they don't exactly go out of their way to get to know you either. They seem to just play games with the same people every day and don't have a walk round the pool just to say hello or anything like that.

On the whole I had a good holiday due to the people I met but I probably wouldn't come back here unless the staff improved dramatically.

Room Tip: Our room was facing away from pool but still a decent view, lifts are good so wouldn't mind wher...
1 Thank Hayley M
Dear Hayley M,
We very much appreciate you taking time to write your review on Trip Advisor. I am glad that you liked the hotel and location but take your comments about the staff not being sufficiently engaging. It is true that one does not encounter the kind of "come forward" service that is typical of the US in Spain but at the same time you should feel welcomed. I am sorry that this weas not the case. We take this comment seriously and will look at ways to improve this for the future.
Many thanks again.
Jaime Floyer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (620)
  • Polish first
Galway
Reviewed 13 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is very beautiful. If you stay you must go to the 9th floor and look at the spectacular view. The hotel has a huge restaurant with loads of different foods. The best thing about the three hotels is that you can use any of the facilities in the three hotels. The animation team are amazing. Carlos, Danny, Jonny, Miguel, Fibi,Uxia,Leyra, Maria, Sandra, Tavo, Curro and the lifeguards Jose, Jemma, Ismile and Philipe. Can't wait to return next year. The animation team have great activities on for adults everyday and they are very enjoyable. Outstanding people and they are all amazing at their jobs. 10/10 for the people alone.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Emma_Richardson1,
Thank you for your glowing report. I am really happy that you enjoyed the holiday so much.
I will be sure that all the staff are passed your comments. They work very hard and it is always so gratifying to have one's labours recognised. Thank you on all their behalves.
We really look forward to welcoming you back next year (or sooner!).
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I have just returned home after a week long holiday at the Sol Don Pablo hotel. It was the first holiday my husband and I had taken with our 13 month old daughter. We found the hotel to be excellent and it made our first holiday very relaxing and enjoyable. We were allocated a room on the quieter side of the hotel on the 5th floor which suited us well. We found the food in the restaurant varied and always found something enjoyable for us and her and although the hotel was busy there were plenty of tables in the restaurant and loungers around the pool.The only slight downsides to this hotel were having to wait for the lifts as the restaurant was on the lower ground floor and during mealtimes there could be a queue to go up and down, also we brought travelers cheques to change into currency and were told that the hotel would not change them for us but a bank in the town centre would. Unfortunately the bank would not change them either but we did eventually find an exchange kiosk in Torremolinos centre that changed them for us with a 5% commission charge. I wouldn't recommend anyone taking travelers cheques to this resort but other than that this is definitely somewhere we would return to.

Dear Mollie27,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us for your first holiday away with the baby. I am so glad that it all worked so well for you and that we were able to contribute to a relaxing time for you both.
I take on board your comment about the lifts and wish to let you know that we have a project to replace the four main lifts this winter. Not only will the capacity be increased but also the speed of the cabins and the efficiency of the programming. We have been told to expect a 90% increase in efficiency after the renovation.
I am sorry about the traveller's cheque problem. The truth is that their use in Spain has been declining for some years and we are no longer able to send them to the bank. The most common method of accessing cash these days seems simply to use a debit card in a cash machine. There are also companies in the UK who offer pre-charged payment cards.
Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review. We hope that we can welcome you back in teh future.
Horley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We keep coming back as this is such a lovely hotel. We visited in June and asked for a 2nd floor room to see the entertainment and were granted our request with a super room with a walk in shower and a great view of the shows. Obviously this is not always possible in high season, but they do try hard to please their guests. This Hotel group is active in upgrading itself and has recently refurbished the kitchens, the pools and their fire security doors. Being 3 hotels it is wonderful to be able to visit different pools, bars and restaurants. We enjoy the food and find there is plenty of choice and in our experience, hot plates are always available. Also I have observed the standard of food hygiene is very good and the cleanliness is immaculate throughout the hotel. Air conditioning very good as beginning of June was unusually hot. Beautiful grounds and nice snack bar and across the road from the beach. For further praise please read my previous reviews.

Room Tip: Lower rooms have walk in showers.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank vesta53
Dear vesta53,
It is always a source of great pride to hear from regular guests who continue to be pleased with our service and facilites. Please do keep coming back and letting us know how we are doing - we promise not to rest on out laurels.
Thanks for the review and thanks for your loyalty.
Manchester
Reviewed 11 August 2014 via mobile

I'm not one for spending long periods in the sun but do enjoy swimming so I always book a hotel with an indoor pool. I was very disappointed to find the indooe pool out of order for my whole stay with no explanation.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
5 Thank DJWMANCHESTER
Dear DJWMANCHESTER,
I am really sorry that you were discppointed by the closure of the indoor pool during your recent stay at the Don Pablo. I apologise that you were not given satisfactory explanations. We have a total of 9 pools in the Sol Don Hotels complex including the indoor one. In summer we always close the indoor pool for a short period for annual maintenance as this is the time when it is least used. I appreciate that if you prefer not to be in the sun a pool in the shade would be a bonus and am sorry that your stay had to coincide with the maintenance period and that this should have impacted your stay so negatively. I hope that the rest of the complex was to your liking.
If you should want to visit us again in the future please feel free to contact us beforehand to ensure that we have the pool open during the visit. We would also be happy to show you some of the other pools that are in the shade in the mornings and late afternoons.
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

Just come back from this hotel hotel was clean but the food was awful cold and under seasoned deserts same every night i think they ran out of deserts as table was full at first by end of week it was half the size wouldnt stay here again

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Maggie G,
Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Sol Don Pablo. I am sorry to hear that the food was not to your liking. We have a very large variety including fresh meat and fish choices cooked in front of the guest to their liking. We attempt to satisfy as broad a range of pallettes as possible. We will certainly look into your comment regarding under-seasoned food and the choice of desserts. I am not clear on the amount of desserts on offer as we have not changed the display area this season but we will look at teh presentation to see how we can improve it.
I am sorry that the dining experience should have marred your experience.
glasgow
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Aug 3rd 2014 booked this for a 5 day holiday for me and my grandson age 16 , sent email and asked for a room on the 2 or 3 floor was given 304 great room ,walk in double shower and nice firm beds view of the pool and sea,pool area was fab plenty beds and walk in pool ,snack bar food cooked fresh,dinning room plenty tables and a good selection of food ,thought going down early food would be hot, shame it was cold did speak to head waiter so hopefully that would change, this was my second time here, overall yes i would still go back .

2 Thank winnerglasgow
Dear winnerglasgow,
Thank you for choosing to repeat at the Sol Don Pablo. I am really glad to hear that you were well looked-after and that your stay was a success.
I am concerned about your comment regarding the food not being very hot later in the dinner service and will follow up on your preocupation.
I hope that we do see you again in the future and that you notice an improvement in this area.