“Sangria, Monkeys and Snake Charmers”

Melia Costa del Sol
Ranked #4 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 23 May 2012

After booking an almost all inclusive package to Spain with Transat Holidays I didnt really know what to expect. I picked the Melia due to proximity to the beach and location in regards to shopping and restaurants and after reading alot of reviews once I had booked I thought i'd made a mistake.

Although I dont usually enjoy staying in high rise hotels, the Melia was different since all of it's rooms were ocean view and with really nice sized balconies.

The hotel was clean and the common areas were quite upscale but still very welcoming. The staff were very friendly, and since you were able to usually have the same ones for breakfast and dinner you got to develop a good rapport with them.

The room was nice, nothing spectacular but it had everything we needed. The beds seemed large for twin which was nice and the bathroom was modern and up to date.

The hotel had a lovely lounge where most retired after dinner to have drinks and speciality coffees and watch the ballroom dancers perform. I brought my mom on this trip so we didnt go with a party mentality (which is a good thing because I was the youngest guest by about 30yrs) It seems that the hotel was used by upscale motorcoach tours that would come and go daily.

The beach was amazing, great for walking and sunbathing. I'm a strong swimmer but the undertoe when we went was quite strong so we waded in the shallows and worked on our tans.

The location of the hotel was much more ideal than I had originally thought. Directly next to the hotel is the lift or staircase that will take you up to the town of Torremolinos. It has great shopping, tapas bars, delicatessens and is just great for wandering.

We did 3 day trips which we booked through viator.com and they were fantastic. We did a Gibralter day trip, a Sevilla day trip and a trip to Tangier. I highly recommend maximizing your time and doing a few of them. Had we had more time we would have went into Malaga, or maybe Grenada? Tons to see and do in the area.

All in all I would definitely recommend this hotel, but if you're looking for a party please look elsewhere.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank wrldflightie
Write a ReviewReviews (4,240)

Reviewed 22 May 2012

Great view from every room. Cannot recommend this hotel enough. Staff is friendly, rooms are clean and big and the breakfast buffet is great!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ShesOutandAbout
Reviewed 19 May 2012

We were owed this room. We deserved this room. We longed for this room. Ninth floor, overlooking the pool but most importantly, close to the front and looking out over the Med. As soon as we closed the lights for the night, I opened the curtains and sliding door so that I would not miss one second of daybreak or sound of the waves. Unfortunately we had a mere 2 nights in heaven but it will be something I will remember a lifetime. The boardwalk restaurants and shops must be hell in summer but we were here at just the right time. Pick me up next year.....

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank SHADDACalifornia
Reviewed 17 May 2012

This Holiday Inn quality hotel is located at the end of a seaside promenade. The room was comfortable, clean, well-lit, and had plenty of electrical outlets. The view from our balcony was terrific.

There is free WiFi. Several computers (available for a fee) are located in the lobby. Tour groups stay at the hotel. The elevators with a claimed capacity of six people are way too small for the number of guests. So, you may find yourself lining up to get on an elevator.

Restaurants and shops are close by: Exit the hotel, walk up the driveway to the street, and turn left. Across the street are plenty of fancy restaurants. The less expensive eateries are on the same side of the street as the hotel. For a simple, tasty, and less expensive meal, I'd recommend the Guadalupe Restaurante, which is less than 5 minutes away from the hotel. (Make a sharp left just past the orange kiosk.) Continuing past the Guadalupe Restaurante, there is a currency exchange (no commission) and you will eventually reach the steps leading up to San Miguel street, where there are more shops and restaurants. Walking the 126 steps up to San Miguel street is less daunting than one may think. However, for those not up to the challenge, an elevator is available for a nominal fee. If one continues along the street past the orange kiosk, there is an ATM on the side wall of the supermercado (super market). This is the only ATM on the promenade.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank SDAG
Reviewed 14 May 2012

Just back from a week at the Costa del Sol, I think this must be our 5th stay at the hotel.
The location is perfect - right on the beach, EUR20 taxi fare from the airport. Large modern clean rooms, friendly staff, and the breakfasts are out of this world (available until 11am). free wifi in the rooms & a free safe in the room.
We will be back as soon as we can.

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BAZGAZ65
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Hotel is perfectly located - beach and strips of restaurants across the street, shopping and more restaurants on top of the hill (just take the lift beside the hotel for .50 eur, you will get to the top). Rooms are big, beautifully decorated, very clean. Clean bathroom. Rooms have ocean view with balcony. Good service, warm and friendly staff. Free WiFi. AC is ON only on summer months, we stayed here in April, so no AC, just open your windows for fresh air from the sea (i like it though). Food is excellent, various choices, huge dining area and excellent dining service. The only downside I could think of is the elevator, 3 doors but not enough for a huge hotel catering to many large tour groups at the same time, long que during peak hours.
Would stay again in a heart beat.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank RPRF
Reviewed 12 May 2012

I stayed here for 1 week whilst on a relaxing break with my partner. The reviews on trip advisor were mixed however I must say that I throughouly enjoyed my stay at this hotel.

The hotel has a fantastic location adjacent to the beach and all rooms have a sea view. The hotel is immaculately clean and rooms are exactly what you would expect from a 4 star hotel.

Breakfast was good and overall great value for money. I will definitely be returning to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2012