When we booked our vacation we had an option to stay at a hotel closer to the beach, or for a little less, stay at the Cervantes Hotel. Oddly this hotel got better reviews, so we chose it. On a map it's only seems a block or two away from the ocean, but in fact it's up a big hill and is about a 10 minute walk to get there. That actually wasn't a bad thing. To get to the beach, you walk down this great street, Calle de San Miguel, which winds down the hill and is full of great shops and restaurants. Plus there are lots of other stores and restaurants closer to the hotel. The location turned out to be great.
The hotel doesn't look great from the outside, but compared to some of the older, decaying places, it seems like a palace. I highly recommend getting using GPS to find this place because the roads are very tricky. You can park in the hotel garage for around $15 Euros a night, or park on the street for free. However, it's not easy to find a spot in that area. And if you're worried about your car being sideswiped, you may consider using the garage. We parked the first night in the garage and were able to find spots on the street the rest of the time.
There are two pools in the hotel, one outdoors on their terrace, and one on the roof. In nice weather, both are great. Views from the top pool are fantastic, but the better pool is the lower one. There is a big buffet restaurant downstairs, and a pub/restaurant on the main floor. They are not cheap. Luckily the buffet breakfast was included with our rooms. It's a hearty meal with tons of options. There's also a lounge area/bar where they have music and dancing every night on the main floor as well.
The service is this place was not fantastic. Even though there were two of us in our room, they kept leaving only one towel. Many times our key cards stopped working and we'd have to replace them. When we'd walk to our room from the elevators, a few times we saw cockroaches scurrying across the carpet into the laundry room. I didn't find the people behind the desk particularly friendly or helpful when I asked for help or advice.
The room itself was okay, nothing special. It was a tiny room with a king bed. There was a good-sized closet with a safe we could use. And rooms can get wi-fi. Unfortunately you have to pay daily for the safe and internet. Definitely pay for the safe. There is a small internet area which you pay by the minute on the main level. There was a good-sized TV with cable, a decent patio, and a pretty nice bathroom. It was a very basic room, one which isn't meant for hanging out in, which is fine for this city.
We stayed for a week and this definitely wasn't one of the best hotels I've stayed in on vacation, but Torremolinos I think it was pretty good. It wasn't a steal to stay here, but I think it was a good price for what we got. I'd give it 3.5 starts if I could, but I can't so I rounded up. Oh, and take the stairs. The elevators are as slow as can be.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Blue Sea Gran Cervantes is located in the commercial leisure centre of Torremolinos with sea views and only 800 meters to the beach. It is located 7 km from the Airport and only 300m from the train station. It offers good transport connections and can be easily accessed. The hotel has been recently renovated and has a total of 398 rooms which are comfortably equipped and all are adapted for every type of client, business client, individual or for family. There are gardens, a swimming pool area for adults and children; Solarium, Gym, sauna and indoor pool heated during winter. Miniclub in high season, Laundry service, Room service, Garage, Free wifi in the lobby. Restaurant Buffet, Lobby Bar, Pool Bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Onthebeach, LoveHolidays, TravelUp, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cervantes Hotel Torremolinos
- Gran Cervantes By Blue Sea Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol, Spain