“Average Hotel”

Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea
Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We booked this hotel as it was only 15 minute’s drive from the airport, we needed something that was in the middle of Marbella and Malaga and I thought why not, I have never been to this area.

Can I point out I am going to be as honest as possible and I will put the fact I was robbed behind me.. On that point seriously you do have to be aware, I was robbed at 9pm in a crowded square and when I chased the robber no one helped !!

There is also a lot of escorts plying there trade and offering drugs, from what I hear there is a real problem with escorts and I even witnessed a fight from a guy who bought some fake drugs from someone..

Seriously guys and girls, be careful !!

Also, the previous reviews about this being dense with gay people is very true, they have no issues with engaging in public !!

Location
The location of the hotel is good, it’s 10 minutes walk to the beach and 5 minutes in most directions to bars, supermarkets etc.

Rooms
The rooms very clean however they were basic (think of a travel lodge) there was a fridge but no kettle or tea/coffee facilities. Power shower was good.

Public Areas + Pool
When I pulled up outside the hotel I was think, opps what have I done, it’s a bright yellow high rise, that said internally the lobby and public areas are modern, clean and cool temperature wise. There are 2 bar areas, one closes at 11ish and the other about 1. The pool area was clean and tidy, the pool itself was excellent even though it was cold. It is a 3 metre depth pool.

Staff
The staff are my only main issue, if you don’t speak any Spanish your stay could be quite difficult, especially in the bar – ordering a drinks and a bar snack if very difficult, I overheard a few All Inclusive customers complain that the bar only gave them half pints oppose to full pints. Some of the staff are moody and when I tried to order food it felt like he was doing me a favour.

Cost
If you are not going AI don’t buy to many drinks, there is a supermarket that is directly across the road so go and buy your beers there and drink them by the pool.
I will say, the hotel seems to be fine with escorts touting for their business in the hotel bar, I asked the receptionist why they allowed them in and she replied they are no hassle !!

Parking
You can park under the hotel for 15 Euros a day, a little steep in my eyes.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank MrTooTrue
Write a ReviewReviews (3,196)

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed here in January with my elderly mother and to be honest with the location is fantastic for this hotel from the train station and arriving late evening was a plus to find it quickly.

I returned again at the end of March with my partner and had second thoughts about this hotel.
Again we arrived at the hotel at approximately 10 in the evening and found no meal had been left for us, which in the past nearly every hotel we have booked if we arrived after dinner had closed there was always a meal left for us with a drink. Not at this hotel, we were told that snacks were available in the bar. Oh yes, left over salad, that was laid out where people were queuing for the bar with just one waiter serving all the hotel, coughing and spluttering over it. No thank you.

Another thing which I thought was very dangerous were the steps leading from the ground floor into the basement for the dining room. The lighting is very poor and we saw an elderly woman fall because of this and the darkness of the tiles.

One thing that is a big bug bearer in this hotel is the service and the lack of waiters behind the bar, resulting in large queues and being allowed only two drinks per person in plastic glasses if you on A/I means. If you are a couple and you don't wish to lose your seat means that one queues for a drink and then on return the other queues meaning you don't see much of each other.

Another big bug bearer is the football/sport on all day and night in the bar. There is no atmosphere, no entertainment at all.

The next morning we asked for two more pillows and on return from a day out had not been delivered. There are no instructions on how to use the telephone or ring reception or anything which meant one of you going down to reception, which my partner did to request again more pillows.

The food was fair. My partner who is not a fussy eater, found it digusting particularly for a 4 star. I managed in a morning with cereal and a boiled egg DO NOT ATTEMPT THE 3 MINUTE ONES THEY WERE RAW!!!!

As I said earlier the only thing going for this hotel is the location.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BarnsleyJulie
Reviewed 11 May 2012

this is a nice place, good facilities, nice staff, cant really fault it. is a bit of a mission to the beach though but right near the bars and restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank Kyle A
Reviewed 2 May 2012

This hotel is nice. For a low price you get room with balcony towards town square. If you pay more you get room with spectacular sea view.

+ Plusses: Comfortable rooms each with private balcony, Swimming pool, sun chairs and fitness room with great view at top floor. Even a sauna on top floor. Situated 100 m from the Torremolinos train station. Only 10 min walk to the beach. Friendly staff. Lively with cafe and pub on ground floor. Good breakfast and dinner. Backdoor entrance from town square. Good value for money. High quality towels and good cleaning. Near to Airport and Malaga City and very easy transport.

- Minuses: On 2nd floor i could the trains running in tunnel beneath! Woke up at 5 am every morning. Get a room further up. Noisy pub and smell of alcohol on whole ground floor. Swimming pool on top floor is shallow. Rooms with sea view are relatively expensive. The safe might not work at first. Extra payment for use of safe. About 3 Euro per day.

Tips: When coming home from beach , take the 50cent lift that stops 200 m from the Cervantes Hotel. Maybe youll have to ask locals where it is. There are cafes where the lift bottom is, that have exceptionally good ice cream and cakes with coffe and other drinks, for a reasonable price. Book a Granada guided bus tour for whole day including the Nasrid Palaces of Alhambra. Buy a cheap day card for the train.

Book with half pension. That will say, including breakfast and dinner or lunch. Well worth it!

Room Tip: ASk for room furthest up. Tell them you know that the train can be heard and felt running through tu...
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
9  Thank NorPak
Reviewed 2 May 2012

we picked the worst weekend to go to spain from friday till tues morning rain,rain and more rain.still the hotel is clean well located and not very bizzy after the weekend.as we stayed all inc after 3 days the food was a bit predictable but we didnot pay a 5star price so what was on offer was ok for us.the guests were mainly spanish but if you try most of them are friendly,as are the staff,if pepole dont bother to comunicate with them so regaurd them as misserable.just remember its spain not southend.
a good hotel (not great)
i would recommend it (for the price)
super location (if you prefer the town)

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank londonmarshy
Reviewed 2 May 2012

Visited the hotel over the Easter holiday and we were really impressed with the hotel especially for the price we paid. The communal areas (bar reception and pool) were very clean modern and inviting. The rooms are a little less modern in décor but still very clean and well kept but the cleaners who came every day.
We stayed with the hotel on an all inclusive basis and were really happy with the level of service food and drink we received. Previously when staying all inclusive in other hotel we have been disappointed by the watery drinks. However here We had access to San Miguel on tap and fresh bottles of wine opened for the evening and lunch time meals (spirits also available, beware of the massive measure they have!!).
The food was delicious and many different options each day, sometimes we struggles to decide what to have so went for a bit of everything! Really impressed with Paellas every night.
We never struggled to get a sun bed (possibly because we didn’t visit in peak season). The views from our room were stunning. Panoramic views from the rooftop terrace even more impressive!
Don’t bother getting a taxi from the airport as the train station is 2 mins walk from the hotel across the square full of bars and restaurants.
The location was great, plenty of shops, bars and restaurants nearby. If you are looking for a big night out ( past 1am) then you may need to get a taxi and ask for Live Jamming, there are some great bars round there.
I would defiantly go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea veiw, but most of the rooms do have one.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank JessyT186337
Reviewed 1 May 2012

We stayed here on the week 13/01/12 me and my fiancee 23/21 years old respectively and were very impressed with what this hotel had to offer, we stayed all inclusive and there was always food on offer whether it ranged from cakes/soup/rolls we never went hungry. One of the gripes I have to mention though which has nothing to do with the hotel in particular was the UK guests themselves, For example at dinner time you ate your food and then a waiter/waitress would come and take your plate for you to be cleaned, now I was bought up to say "thankyou/gracias" when someone did this and the staff were always very obliging and courteous when i was to say this, but we counted and of the 25 british families/couples sat around us only 3 mangaged a thankyou, what kind of image are we setting here?? Its no wonder staff can be miserable if theyre not getting any thanks for what they do! theyre providing a service and we should be appreciative, for the long hours they worked I thought all staff were impecable, and I take my hat off to them all. Now rant over back to the holiday!, the hotel is situated only approx 5 mins walk from the Renfe train station so you can explore virtually the whole area by train and it is VERY reasonable a lot cheaper than back home, plenty of shops to explore and a McDonalds and Burger king nearby for the Kids/Adults/Grannies, whatever. Rooms were always kept clean and again I found the cleaning staff to be very friendly, just a quick "hola!" goes such a long way. Overall I would recommend to anyone, a fab hotel with great food/location.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple