“It's not terrible but it's not good.”

Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea
Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 13 June 2012

The hotel is adequate. The rooms are functional and clean, you can sleep on the beds and the ablutions work. Beyond this there is nothing that I liked about the place.

I am at pains to be accurate, which one the hand leads me to telling you this hotel is a terrible dump and yet on the other I have to admit that it isn’t. The reasons I didn’t like it are mostly down to me being a snob. So if you are even vaguely a snob you are unlikely to enjoy this place.

Firstly, the food tastes like nan’s cooking. I was all-inclusive but ate almost every meal in the restaurants outside the hotel. To be fair to the catering department, there was a mound of fodder available that the hordes were shoveling into their gobs at a vicious pace. They appeared to be enjoying the grub but God only knows how!

The ground floor pool is nice but almost impossible to get a lounger, or even any space to lie down at busy periods, unless you fortify the perimeter with a Maginot Line the previous evening. There are an advertised 398 double rooms in this hotel. I would estimate there are about 80 loungers. So at peak capacity, you have only a 10% chance of getting to enjoy one. There is a roof terrace pool but it is has less space and you are 8 floors away from the bar.

If you are staying on an all-inclusive basis, the drinks are served in 200ml cups. So is the water! You are going to wear the soles of your feet out going backwards and forwards to the bar for your miserly 200ml of hydration. If you pay-on-the-day for drinks you get served in larger glasses. In both cases the drinks are paid for but you get treated poorly if you gave your money to them weeks or months in advance. I couldn’t understand the customer service benefit in this.

There were other things that irritated me about the place but I’ll stop ranting. This hotel didn’t appeal because I am used to better at home and expect more when on holiday. But I could tell the masses loved it and so Gran Hotel Cervantes must be doing something right.

Happy travels

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank andy_acacia27

Reviewed 11 June 2012

A very well run hotel and in a great location if you want to be close to the sea front, shops, bars etc. The rooms were spotless although the beds are a bit hard for my liking. The choice of food was very limited but if you like fish then you will be fine. The bar prices were very reasonable and we often found it was cheaper there than in the bars outside. Can't comment on all inclusive as it didn't apply but there seemed to be a lot of people who were. Not much for children except for the swimming pool which was good and a pool table and gaming machines. Overall the hotel is better suited to couples I think.

Room Tip: Seaview is worth the extra although the rooms on the corner would have the sun all day long.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Edith56
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My partner and I stayed here for three nights June 1 - 4 2012. The hotel sits in the centre of Torremolinos. Our first impressions were favourable, the reception and lobby is modern with clean lines. Check-in was efficient and staff polite and helpful. We had a room on the sixth floor. The room was disappointing compared to the rest of the hotel, it was very tired, dated decor and furniture, and it badly needs an overhaul. That said it was clean and serviced daily and everything worked as it should with the exception of the TV but to be honest we were not fussed about that. We stayed on an all-inclusive basis, the food was okay, no more no less, my one gripe was it was hugely repetitive and lacked variety and choice. Drinks on the other hand were good, local beers and wines with choice and overall quality. The main pool is small, very cold also but there were plenty of sunbeds plus we secured pool towels for a refundable 20 euros. There is a rooftop pool which we visited but it was a real sun trap so we decided to stay downstairs. It is 5-10 minute walk to the beach and the quickest and easiest way to get there is via the lift which sits in a building opposite the hotel and charges 50 cents per person. Overall we enjoyed our stay; the hotel suited our needs for a short visit I would definetely not look to stay here for a week or two weeks.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms higher up and great views and better quality.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Newsatten
Reviewed 5 June 2012

This wasnt the experience i was expecting.There is no entertainment at all in this hotel.No atmosphere in bar or around pool.it was so quiet in the bar people talked in hushed tones.The hotel is in the centre of town so there was a lot of noise from traffic.Been to torremolinos three times but this will be our last.Dont go all inclusive because it is a waste of time as you will go out most of the time.Air con unit didnt get switched on til the last day.Food passable but a bit cold.

Room Tip: Rooms a bit dated but ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank janjan1705
Reviewed 31 May 2012

If your are looking for a hotel near the beach with nightly holiday type entertainment then this hotel ain't for you:( BUT! if you would prefer a more sedate, well managed ,good value hotel thats bang in the centre of Torremolinos,with an abundance of shops,,bars eating places on its doorstep and only 5 mins from train station then the Cervantes ticks every box.

Special mention for delightful reception staff,who were extremeley courtious and helpful.Excellent secure baggage storage at reception .

Rooms (most with sea views) were a wee bit dated but scrupulously clean.
Linen,towels changed daily Sorry to say beds a bit hard and pillows wafer thin,but hey !we are on holiday what do you expect.One or three wee drinks and no problemo.

Well run restuarant,at breakfast and evening meal filled our boots :) peak times very busy,but copes with the demands of guests Food adequate and HOT!
Rooftop solarium/pool a real bonus fantastic place to sunbathe with panoramic views .

We decided to stay half board basis,We do enjoy a social drink at night when on on hol and do prefer someplace that has a bit of atmosphere,so we always headed out at night to some of the numerous bars on hand.but think for us,staying all inclusive and drinking at the hotel bar in the evening it has no atmosphere,a bit bland so would be a wee bit tedious and a very very long night for us two holiday peeps.
Lastly both the times we have stayed (In May) there were families with young children,but they were in the minority.Mostly couples of various ages were the guests,many different nationalities..

Forgotten the uncomfortable beds already,just remember all the many many good points about the Hotel Cervantes.Will return next May.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank david p
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We booked this hotel as it was only 15 minute’s drive from the airport, we needed something that was in the middle of Marbella and Malaga and I thought why not, I have never been to this area.

Can I point out I am going to be as honest as possible and I will put the fact I was robbed behind me.. On that point seriously you do have to be aware, I was robbed at 9pm in a crowded square and when I chased the robber no one helped !!

There is also a lot of escorts plying there trade and offering drugs, from what I hear there is a real problem with escorts and I even witnessed a fight from a guy who bought some fake drugs from someone..

Seriously guys and girls, be careful !!

Also, the previous reviews about this being dense with gay people is very true, they have no issues with engaging in public !!

Location
The location of the hotel is good, it’s 10 minutes walk to the beach and 5 minutes in most directions to bars, supermarkets etc.

Rooms
The rooms very clean however they were basic (think of a travel lodge) there was a fridge but no kettle or tea/coffee facilities. Power shower was good.

Public Areas + Pool
When I pulled up outside the hotel I was think, opps what have I done, it’s a bright yellow high rise, that said internally the lobby and public areas are modern, clean and cool temperature wise. There are 2 bar areas, one closes at 11ish and the other about 1. The pool area was clean and tidy, the pool itself was excellent even though it was cold. It is a 3 metre depth pool.

Staff
The staff are my only main issue, if you don’t speak any Spanish your stay could be quite difficult, especially in the bar – ordering a drinks and a bar snack if very difficult, I overheard a few All Inclusive customers complain that the bar only gave them half pints oppose to full pints. Some of the staff are moody and when I tried to order food it felt like he was doing me a favour.

Cost
If you are not going AI don’t buy to many drinks, there is a supermarket that is directly across the road so go and buy your beers there and drink them by the pool.
I will say, the hotel seems to be fine with escorts touting for their business in the hotel bar, I asked the receptionist why they allowed them in and she replied they are no hassle !!

Parking
You can park under the hotel for 15 Euros a day, a little steep in my eyes.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank MrTooTrue
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I stayed here in January with my elderly mother and to be honest with the location is fantastic for this hotel from the train station and arriving late evening was a plus to find it quickly.

I returned again at the end of March with my partner and had second thoughts about this hotel.
Again we arrived at the hotel at approximately 10 in the evening and found no meal had been left for us, which in the past nearly every hotel we have booked if we arrived after dinner had closed there was always a meal left for us with a drink. Not at this hotel, we were told that snacks were available in the bar. Oh yes, left over salad, that was laid out where people were queuing for the bar with just one waiter serving all the hotel, coughing and spluttering over it. No thank you.

Another thing which I thought was very dangerous were the steps leading from the ground floor into the basement for the dining room. The lighting is very poor and we saw an elderly woman fall because of this and the darkness of the tiles.

One thing that is a big bug bearer in this hotel is the service and the lack of waiters behind the bar, resulting in large queues and being allowed only two drinks per person in plastic glasses if you on A/I means. If you are a couple and you don't wish to lose your seat means that one queues for a drink and then on return the other queues meaning you don't see much of each other.

Another big bug bearer is the football/sport on all day and night in the bar. There is no atmosphere, no entertainment at all.

The next morning we asked for two more pillows and on return from a day out had not been delivered. There are no instructions on how to use the telephone or ring reception or anything which meant one of you going down to reception, which my partner did to request again more pillows.

The food was fair. My partner who is not a fussy eater, found it digusting particularly for a 4 star. I managed in a morning with cereal and a boiled egg DO NOT ATTEMPT THE 3 MINUTE ONES THEY WERE RAW!!!!

As I said earlier the only thing going for this hotel is the location.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple