“expected better”

Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea
Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 1 July 2012

First impressions hotel nice,room nice ,food was average choice was limited, have stayed in 3* where food has been better. Arrived late at night missed dinner no offer of a cold meal, so asked if we could have dinner on our last day, as flight was not until 10pm, young lady on reception simply said no and was quite rude, this was the first time we have not been offered this service, as they always have done in other hotels in Torremolinos. We asked for late check out 6pm and was charged 50 euros the most we have paid in the past was 30 euros. We will not stay at this hotel again .

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gitaChicago

Reviewed 30 June 2012

Very clean, open spaced and airy hotel. Staff could smile a little more though some of the waiting staff made up for others. Found the room to be smaller than expected but very clean and comfortable though the view wasn't up to much ( not in room long enough to notice). The pool area is layed in lawn which is a nice change but the only down fall is it doesn't open until 9am so no early dip before the kids invade. Hope you like fish because thats about all you will get at lunch and dinner if you go all inclusive. Loads of bars and cafes around the hotel so better to go B&B. I know I sound a little on the moaning side but I must say I really did enjoy my stay here and would hope to return soon.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Diane H
Reviewed 30 June 2012

I stayed in the hotel for business purposes and it was booked by my company. Obviously I know that Torremolinos is a holiday resort so I wasn't expecting a state of the art conference hotel.

However, one can expect certain standards from a supposedly four star hotel. There was no iron in the room, no tea or coffee making facilities whatsoever and no drinking water. There was no twenty-four hour room service either. The last thing anyone wants, after crashing on the bed following a really long flight is to find that you can't even have a glass of water without having to go into a very rowdy bar full of merry holidaymakers.

I think the most annoying thing was that I had to charge my laptop in the toilet because there just weren't ANY sockets available. The socket for the really tiny television was inaccessible. People still bring their iPods and mobiles on holiday don't they? People still drink tea and coffee when they are on holiday, don't they? And 14 euros for the internet - I mean really, what a ripoff!

Finally, watch out for the room cleaners - they burst in on me while I was crouching completely naked, with my bum in the air, looking for a socket to charge my mobile underneath the dressing table. The poor woman is probably still having nightmares. Serves her right for NOT KNOCKING FIRST!

The only two good things, were waitress service in the buffet restaurant and the cleanliness of the hotel.

Other than that, a truly substandard hotel wholly undeserving of four stars.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Alexander W
Reviewed 27 June 2012

we found this hotel on teletext and went all inclusive. after checking reviews we booked it and it was worth it.

TIP 1: we read it was better to get the train to Torremolinos instead of airport transfer and it was worth it, the trains are cheap, clean and fast.

the hotel was clean, our room was fab, the staff were friendly, the food was great. A lot of folks in these reviews comment on how crap the food was but honestly i don't see what the problem was. Although they keep it simple there is plenty of choice and it is presented and cooked well. It's a huge buffet, we didn't eat out once.

TIP 2: we got chatting to an older guy who had visited there a lot and he told us that you can order a picnic at reception before 9pm the day before you go and pick it up at reception the next morning. Was excellent, no frills but worthwhile. Basically a white carrier bag with a bottle of water, selection of fruit, bread rolls, cooked meat and a yoghurt. No extra charge for all inclusive.

The swimming pools were great. The entertainment at the weekend was not to our taste but would have been a laugh if you wanted to sit with a group of friends.

We started of thinking that the only drinks at the bar included in the price was beer, wine and soda but once we found out that their were certain spirits included as well we were happy. Although you are restricted to ordering 2 drinks at a time, each of us ordered 2 drinks that had healthy measures so there was never a problem.

This is great place and i'm definitely planning on going back. We went out of season so the place was quieter and we prefered this.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank nikzageek
Reviewed 27 June 2012

After much research and debating between this hotel and others we decided to chance it and go with the Cervantes.
Upon arrival both my friend and I were suprised at how nice the hotel looked and the look of the receiption area, very nice.
Our room was a good size, clean and the bathroom was good too, with an excellent shower to cool off in the hot weather.
What lets this hotel down HUGELY is the food and beverage side.
We paid for an all inclusive holiday which you would think would make things easier and worthy for a stress free holiday. What we found was if you had a wrist band all inclusive you were served your drink (soft or alcoholic) in what I can only describe as a plastic cup, the type you get at a water vending machine. I dont mind getting served in plastic cups for outside ( health and safety) but the sizes were ridiculous, in the hot hot weather you lose so much water you need to replace it and when I asked for larger plastic cups (which they have behind the bar for paying customers!) I was told no, the smaller cups were for all inclusive. So you are forever going to the bar and necking what in my book are shots of water to keep cool instead of relaxing with a suitable size beverage. What made things worse was the fact a stag party that arrived were coming outside with TRAYS OF DRINKS for their group but yet my friend and I, along with other guests were limited???? We were treated as if we were kids on a school trip!
All I wanted was water for goodness sake!!
In the evening things were the same, you couldnt have a pint glass (which were available) you had a wine glass of beer, it got laughable in the end. If you like your mixed spirits you wont be dissapointed at the measurements, 3'4 spirit and a shot of soft drink! I had to get them to reduce the spirit in the end, was wayyyyy too much!
The food with service in the restaurant was again poor. The cuts of meat the restaurant uses is way below par, grisly and tough. Most of the food is bland and has no variety, they dont use many if any slat, pepper, herbs etc in cooking. We stayed for 10 days and by day 5 we saw the repetiveness of the food on offer, even the bread was not fresh. We resorted to chips, rice and jelly!
The restaurant resembles a hospital canteen in the way service and work is conducted, staff going round with trolleys clearing tables, not looking happy at all, the waiting staff will seat you and communicate if you are a paying guest, all of us inclusive were just pointed and sent to tables, no customer service or interaction at all. By the end of the holiday we just went down for breakfast, beans on toast - you cant go wrong!
We ate at other restaurants for the last days of the holiday and what a difference that made! Food with flavour and customer service!!
Would I stay here again? Yes but only as a B&B.

Positive:
Very clean hotel, very comfortable beds
Excellent bathroom
Facilities cleaned constantly
Polite reception staff
Lovely cleaning staff
Rooms cleaned brilliantly by happy staff who gave a "Ola" every morning
Lovely pool - get up early if you want a sun lounger (not before 9am though)

Negative:
Food - bland, tastless and no variety,
No atmosphere in restaurant with poor glassware, again if you wanted water you helped yourself to cups that were same size as shot glasses.
Staff not attentive and no communication
Bar - ridiculous rules, poor level of service, very slow.
Gets rammed at 22:50 (10 minutes before end of all inclusive at 23:00!)
Made to almost feel embarresed when ordering drinks, to the bar staff: WE PAID FOR THE DRINKS AS PART OF OUR HOLIDAY, IT OURS NOT YOURS!!

If the hotel sorted out their food and bar it would deserve its 4 star that it has, but in my opinion if currently falls very short of this mark.

Room Tip: Just ask politely! Thats what we did and we got a sea view room. The staff on reception are very ni...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Gennaro C
Reviewed 26 June 2012

Went first week in June staff unfriendly if you have a band on your wrist all inclusive rooms grubby food absoulutely awfull snacks were none existent had too eat out most of the time cost a fortune so did the holiday never go back

Room Tip: Don't think there is one
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank June C
Reviewed 19 June 2012

Was very much looking forward to our four day break, peace and quite and lounging around the pool, and paid extra for the all inclusive facility. The hotel certainly was impressive when you first enter, however once we eventually got around the pool (after 3 attempts with keys that continually did not work) we were welcomed by a stag party and a hen party...bang went the quite break. We had to go and relax around the roof top pool but there were no bar facilities, and you had to go down 9 flights to get a drink!
If you are taking children, then be aware if there are stag and hen parties as the behaviour and language were appalling at times, and if I had brought my family with me, I would have complained. Very ashamed to be British, the girls were worse than the boys, the other guests looked on in amazement at times.
The hotel was clean, and the food of good quality, however the variety was boring, the worst all inclusive for food I have stayed in. There was only one bar person serving 90% of the time whilst we were there which made the All Inclusive not very attractive, if a paying customer came to the bar, they were given priority, which I found annoying as I had paid up front. Also, the snacks were on order and not easily accesible, didn't have one the whole time I was there.
As the hotel allows such large groups of stag and hen parties, I would not choose this for a family fun hotel or a quite break.
What didn't help is there are lots of protests going on in Spain due to the high level of unemployment and for the three days we did get around the pool was marred by protestors across the road that started at 10.30am until early evening - lots of whistling and load speakers! This was not the hotels fault, but certainly did not help what had already been a bad start to our break.
The location was fantastic, very Spanish, which is what I wanted would recommend the area, but most certainly not the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends