“Pretty much what we expected..”

Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea
Ranked #34 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed here for a week in july 2014. We had the all-inclusice service.

first of all, it was quite easy to reach the hotel (and the town of Torremolinos) from Malaga airport. There was a train service (about 15min / 2e) but because of our late arrival we took a cab (20e). The hotel isn't located by the beach, but the distance is moderate. We did not test the pool by the hotel, as it was pretty crowded most of the time.

Our room was only average clean, but otherwice we liked it. We were on the 6th floor, so the noise from the park / street wasn't too disturbing. We had a nice balkony, which we loved! The only major downside was the bed. It was rock-hard and extremely uncomfortable and the pillows were ridiculously flat.

This was the first time we tried all-inclusive. The experience was mostly positive. The restaurant was nearly over-crowded at times but we never had to wait for a table. If you were there at the rush hour, you could see some empty trays and have to stand in queues. The food - as expected - was surely not gourmet, but it was ok and there was always a few options. We had mostly fish and vegetable dishes. By the end of our stay we were a bit fed up, I have to admit, because there wasn't enough day-to-day variation of the foods.

Free WI-Fi at the lounge didn't work most of the times, and when it did, it was extremely slow. WI-Fi was also available at the rooms for 5 e / 1 day. It felt like an unpleasent flashback from the 90' or something like that.

Surprisingly quiet and peacefull - allthough we might have missed the wildest parties because we didn't spend a whole weekend.

6  Thank XharryW

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Was this the worst holiday I have been on? No. It most certainly wasn't the best though. I will start by pointing out the biggest mistake we made, we went All Inclusive. Don't go All Inclusive. No, seriously, don't. People who went half board were receiving waiter service, drinks from the bottle (which seems trivial but it was annoying) and a much better service than us all inclusive louts. I think they forget we have paid up front. You are allowed 2 drinks per person, per visit. Which again was annoying as they give you tiny plastic cups with, I'd say, 2 gulps worth?..ish...? And they load the cups with ice. There were big, strapping blokes carrying their 2 piddly cups of beer away from the bar, being careful not to spill the lack they had. The bar staff however were lovely and spoke very good English. The barman, who tends to work in the poolside bar, hates his job. If you go, you will see who I mean. Otherwise the barmen are lovely. Receptionists are miserable and bark at you when they speak to you. Except one young lady who was very nice. As for the hotel itself, I cannot fault how clean it is. The cleaners do a fantastic job; however they clean at the wrong time. In the morning when you go out to sit by the pool, (I went at 8ish) they would clean both exits so that you couldn't get out. My suggestion would be to clean those areas at 6ish, 7ish? The main pool is relatively small. Maximum 99 people, and the kiddie pool, maximum 7 people and considering the size of the hotel, there aren't many brollies and not much shade in general. In the morning especially, your feet get rather muddy (don't wear white) due to all of the sun loungers being on grass and the staff washing the loungers down in the morning. The rooftop pool is always empty, the depth isn't so good in the rooftop pool but for peace and quiet, go there! (No Lifeguard there though). The rooms were ok, again, spotless, but the decor of the rooms isn't outstanding. The beds are like sleeping on cardboard, and the bathroom is quite small, but manageable. There isn’t a great selection of food available for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I expected more Spanish cuisine. They brought out spaghetti bolognaise, burgers, hotdogs, chips and pizza every night. This left approx 6 dishes to try and I would say 3 out of those 6 are potato based. It is a shame that I have written so many negatives because this hotel has so much potential. I think the hotel should be half board only, there are plenty of lovely restaurants and plenty of choices close by the hotel that half board would excel with. Would I go again? Possibly. If I did I would go half board (I bet you didn't guess that), but I can't say I would be excited to go again. I really hope this review helps because it is my honest opinion.

Room Tip: We had the reception side of the hotel, the view was a block of flats. No word of a lie, there was a...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Jenni M
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a long weekend at Cervantes. Loved every minute. We went all inclusive, there is more than enough choice of food in the restaurant and lots of different things to try.
The hotel is lovely and clean, no problems at all with any of the staff either. Reception staff were very helpful.
We got the train from the airport for 1.75euro, Torremolinos is only 4/5 stops away so it's very quick and much cheaper than taxis. When you get off the train and look up you will see the hotel sign and it's easy enough to find.
There is plenty to do in the area so it's not much of a problem that all inclusive finishes at 11pm, it just means you can go and try out the other bars.
The walk to the beach isn't that bad at all, took 10 minutes on the way up without looking in the shops.
Torremolinos is such a nice place and the hotel is great, I'd love to go back now!

Stayed: August 2014
6  Thank Nevans1
Sergio R, Responsable de Calidad at Gran Cervantes by Blue Sea, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear Mr. Nevans 1,

Thank you for your wonderful review.

We are pleased that you enjoyed your time in Torremolinos and we are proud that we was part of your plans.

The Blue Sea Gran Hotel Cervantes is centrally located, good food and our staff always puts the guests first and full attention is at hand whenever needed.

Once again we thank you for your review. We hope you can recommend us to friends and family and look foward to welcoming you in the near future.

Warm Regards,

Sergio Robles
Quality Department

Reviewed 3 August 2014

We went as 2 couples (ages 18-19), in July 2014 for a week
You cannot fault the location as it is right near all the local bars and restaurants, near the beach .. take the lift for 30cents unless you would enjoy walking down 200 steps.
The hotel is extremely spotless, rooms were tidied with replacements of clean towels and bedding everyday, there are only 3 lifts within the whole hotel that were very slow and took forever.
We went bed and breakfast and was so glad that we didn't go all inclusive as we were bored of the same food for breakfast every morning.
The ground floor pool is extremely hard to get a sunbed around, so we mostly went up to the rooftop pool, nice and quite with a really good view of the area.
The entertainment was quite poor, however the staff around the piano bar and the hotel bar were very friendly.
It was 20 euros from the airport, and 6 euros to the waterpark (which is very good) - I recommend a pack up however because the food was to EXPENSIVE!
This hotel is not a 4star, mostly a 3star, and I would go to Torremolinos again just not back to this hotel.

5  Thank Lisa B
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here in July with a group of friends on an AI basis. The hotel lobby, restuarant, rooms and bar area were brilliant, exceptionally clean and modern, rooms are a good size and comfortable. The only down side I feel to this hotel is the pool area. Its a large hotel and the pool and sunbed area is not adequte for all the guests. Yes we stayed height of season but we couldnt get a sun lounger and if we did they are so on top of each other it wasnt very appealing. The pool was nice but not very big. There is a sun lounging area on the roof but not all that to be honest, the photos are decieving of the outside areas.

We went to the beach instead which is about a 15 minute walk down lovely streets full of shops, there are lots of steps but not all in one go so doesnt seem that bad. You can get a lift back up (or down as well) which costs 30cents. We ended up spending extra money at the beach which we didnt mind as we enjoyed having a comfy sun lounger which wasnt right on top of other people ( 3 sun loungers, umbella and table was about 13 euros a day). We was there for a long weekend and so was happy to go to the beach but if I was a family booking and was there for a week I dont think I would have been happy to have paid extra for what I should of had in an AI hotel.

The snacks and food were nice, lots of choice. Its really only the outside space by the pool that lets this hotel down unfortunately. Bar staff are very good and the drinks were good, recommend a strawberry vodka slush for a cheeky afternoon beverage from the pool bar!

Room Tip: A pool view or a corner room as you get a larger balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Gemma H
Reviewed 1 August 2014

The hotel was great clean not what I expected as the reviews put me off and I loved it would recommend anyone stay there cannot fault staff all hard working and pleasant if you want 5 star pay for it thankyou to all staff for a pleasant stay

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays
1  Thank 42smiley
Reviewed 1 August 2014

Spent 8 nights AI here.have to say i cannot fault this hotel.It is spotless hotel, beds are a little hard but that didnt really matter to us. in the mornings there was always games in the pool with the kids kept well entertained. also there is a maximun of 1 hour you can leave your sunbed and go off which is good as the hotel is busy and you cant have people disappearing for hours leaving towels on the beds not being used. the roof top terrace is lovely and peaceful. Lifts get busy at mealtimes but that's just expected.Food is really no different to what you can get down the town from bacon,eggs,croissants to burgers,pizza,stir fry,fish,pork,beef, spag bol salad wine,beer and cold drinks. you get a bit fed up of the food as in any hotel but it is really same stuff as on menus elsewhere. Really cant fault the holiday and would highly recommend.this hotel is in the center of everything and the beach lift is just across from the entrance.

Room Tip: free wifi in lobby.
5  Thank brav0