“Another great holiday at the Sol Don hotels”

Sol Don Pedro by Melia
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Have just returned from a 7 night stay at Don Marco / Don Pedro. We had actually booked the Don Pedro and checked in at their reception but were given rooms in Don Marco. It made little difference as the hotels are inter-connected.

I had Room 4036 which overlooked the lovely swimming pool and also the seafront.
This was my 4th visit to this lovely hotel complex and it didn't disappoint. The staff in all areas of the hotel were friendly and polite. The rooms are well kept with a daily change of towels if required.,
The gardens of the hotel are well kept as are the pool area and outside terraces.
We stayed on a half board basis. Food is varied and plentiful and there is always something for everyone's tastes.

The weather was great during the whole week - hot and sunny. Couldn't want for more.
This is an excellent hotel which I would recommend to anyone. Full marks to all. I am sure I will be returning for a 5th visit!!!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dave G
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2014

Dear Dave G,
Thank you for coming back to the Don Pedro. I am so glad that you continue to enjoy the complex so much and sincerely hope that you make for a fifth time.
Thankd for your comments.
Jaime Floyer.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,088)

Reviewed 10 June 2014

The first thing I noticed when I entered my room was a disgusting amount of black hair on the bathroom and in the shower, so I asked to have it cleaned but it didn't improve much as the cleaners are obviously not using hoovers but simple brooms, which cannot clean that well. My room was being cleaned every day but not with great results as the floor was always full of hair and dust.
I was in the 5th floor which has no elevator so I had to drag my heavy luggage from the 4th floor to the 5th floor myself without anybody asking me if I needed help. I understand why they put me on the 5th floor as I was one of the few young people in the whole hotel but still.
We had breakfast in Sol don Marco and that was quite bad: overcooked eggs, dry pastries... The one in Sol Don Pedro is slightly better so I recommend you to go there.
My colleague was staying in Don Marco and she had a cockroach on her bed: I haven't seen anything like that not even in India.
Another thing that surprised me is that the hotel doesn't have a beach, so you need to hire the sun loungers for 9€/day.
There were some positive aspects though: the staff was friendly and helpful and the common areas with the swimming pools were nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
4  Thank jitkajnr

Dear jitkajnr,
I am so sorry that you had so many reasons to find fault in the Don Pedro. I am particularly sorry to hear that the room was not properly cleaned as this is one of the areas in which we generally have very good feedback. The cleaning staff do not use vacuum cleaners as these do not give a good result on tiled floors. For this reason the rooms are first swept and then mopped. We will investigate why your room was not up to standard.
I am not sure about your comments regarding the breakfast as the restaurant in between the Don Pedro and the Don Marco is the same one with two different entrances. The eggs are done on the grill in front of the guests and the chef cooks them to taste offering the option of turning them or not, as well as making french omelettes to order. In the Don Pablo dining room we have the same system. The pastries in both restaurants are cooked on site and replenished as they come from the oven. I am sorry if they were not satisfactory.
Unlike the UK, in Spain there are no private beaches. As with most resorts, the sunbed concessions are granted by the local town hall. We offer many free sunbeds in the grounds of the hotel complex although I fully appreciate that going to the beach is a quite different enxperience!
I appreciate your taking the time to mention the good aspects of your stay despite being generally unsatisfied. All your comments are taken seriously and we hope to use them to continue improving.
Many thanks.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

just come back from the Hotel Sol Don Pedro had a great time there. The rooms clean and pleasant cleaned everyday towels and bed linen changed everyday We stayed bed and breakfast there was something for everyone to eat whatever your taste. Staff always polite. The pool area was kept clean and tidy and pool bar served good midday lunch.all in all a good holiday.

Dear susanbromsgrove,
I am so glad that you enjoyed your holiday so much. Thank you for letting us all know and thank you choosing the Sol Don Hotels. Please come again one day.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Just came back from a 8day stay at Hotel Sol Don Pedro.

Lovely hotel, nicely kept grounds, lots of pool areas to choose from.
Be sure to pay extra for a superior room with poolside view. It made all the difference.
Rooms are equipped with comfortable beds, flat-screen TV with Spanish,English, German, French and yes, 1 Dutch channel (BVN). Bathroom had a shower and bath and had soap and shampoo dispensers and a blow-dryer. The little refrigerator is ideal for keeping your bottles of water cool
Breakfast and dinner was good, lots of choices. Maybe a bit orientated to the British tourists.

When we were there (mid-May) the hotel was occupied by Brits and Belgium tourist. Nice friendly people. Just outside the hotel is the beach and boulevard of Torremolinos, lots of shops and restaurants around. Train station is a 10 minute walk and it goes to Malaga (return trip 4€)

I would stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: superior room with poolside view ! There are also rooms with walk-in showers which might be better...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank EveVenn

Dear EveVenn,
Thank you for choosing the Sol Don Pedro and for sharing your views with the Trip Advisor community. It is great to hear that the mix of service and facilities was to your liking and that you took the time to go out and explore a little bit.
Our mix of nationalities changes throughout the year with a greater number of local guests beginning to come from June and particularly July and August. In May we also have a lot of guests from Canada and some from Germany.
I hope that you do come to visit us again some day soon.
Thanks again.

Reviewed 28 May 2014

Yet another visit to The Don Pedro. Thanks to manager Jaime Floyer got the room we wanted with a great view over the pool. Entertainment staff especially Maria, Jonny, Tavo, Danny & Curro great as usual a real asset to the hotel.

Room Tip: As for a view over large pool.
2  Thank Bbillclaret

Many thanks Bbillclaret,
See you soon I hope.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Stayed at hotel but only ate breakfast. Room was comfortable and maid service excellent.
There was sufficient at breakfast to satisfy all appetites.
Hotel was starting to show it's age but pool area was good with excellent reception staff.
Bar was on the expensive side but was comfortable.
Location of the hotel is good being opposite the beach and not far from the steps to the centre.

Room Tip: Depending on whether you want the sun most of the day better to choose sea and pool view.
2  Thank oldkirkstroller

Dear oldkirkstroller,
Many thanks for your review and for choosing the Sol Don Pedro. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your comments.
I would like to add that all the rooms in the Don Pedro have been renovated over the last few years but that the hotel maintains it's old-fashioned Andalucian style. The Don Marco, which is part of the same complex has a more modern flavour for those who prefer it.
I hope that we might see you again in the future.
Thanks again for your review.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

We have just returned from a weeks half board stay at the Sol Don Pedro.
There are pros and cons to this hotel. Firstly there is no way it is a 4 star hotel, it's more like a 3 star in all honesty.
The staff were pleasant and friendly though, the room was tidy, big and the bed comfortable and the cleaners cleaned regularly. The pool areas were clean and relaxing which was nice. It's only a 5 minute walk to the beach too. The gardens are lovely and well kept and there are birds tweeting away in a big aviary in one of the gardens.

The food is of average standard, but reasonable. Some of the food was found to be lukewarm on many occasions which was off putting and there didn't appear to be much variety to the menu. Also there appeared to be a lack of direction and disorganisation in the dining room, unlike other hotels on the Costa where hotel staff have directed us to a newly set table. We fended for ourselves and on 3 occasions we had to change the cutlery as dirty cutlery had been set. Be aware of noise in general and some late night noise due to inconsiderate guests banging their room doors on entry and exit, also the soundproof is not so good, you will hear other guests/tv in their rooms at times. We didn't use the fitness centre or spa so unable to comment further.

Overall, this hotel is not too bad, but it's average. We wouldn't stay here again as we would rather pay a bit more and stay in a better hotel. It may suit other holiday makers though, but unfortunately it's not for us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Pedro by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2014

Dear HabibeYorkshire,
Thank you very much for taking time to write your detailed review of the Sol Don Pedro. All your comments are very useful to us and will help us to improve.I apologise that you were not well looked-after in the dinner service. We will attempt to solve this.
I am glad to see that in many respects you approved of the hotel. We will endeavour to build on those strengths to improve in other areas.