This year I stayed solo and decided to try the Don Pedro, having previously stayed in the Don Marco last year with family. Check-in was quick and painless, Miguel is frequently on duty and does a great job. Room was nice, given a twin room even though I had booked single, so that was a bonus.
Room cleaning and food were 1st class once again, there are plenty of activities to keep the kids busy through the summer, and even though the hotels seemed full, the food buffets never seemed overwhelmed. There was a pleasant mix of Spanish, German, British, Polish, Dutch and French. Some wonderful Salmon and beef dishes were served in the evening... and once again breakfast was top-notch.
I don't want to repeat too much from my previous review of the Sol Don Marco, so let me say a little bit about Torremolinos, since I was travelling alone a taxi seemed excessive, so I looked for the Bus, unfortunately the service in this direction is less than user-friendly, it's hard to locate the correct ticket office and stop, and time was ticking so I decided on the train. The new trains on the main costa routes are an absolute pleasure, smooth and spacious with video screens inside and out, announcements in Spanish & English - very cheap too, e1.70 single from Malaga Airport to Torremolinos.
The train station is outside the main arrivals terminal, just across the way, there are big signs. Use the ticket machines but remember to keep your ticket during the journey as you need it to get out at your destination. The station in Torremolinos is in the main plaza where the fountains are.
The days of this town being a run-down package-holiday ghetto are thankfully long gone, the beachfront has been redeveloped extensively and many of the hotels renovated. There are some great restaurants, it is a bit touristy though so prices are slightly more than many places in Spain. Whilst I was there they were installing blocks of recycling bins for paper, plastic and even organic wasted on the actual main beach road.
It really is worth a visit to Malaga too, it's cultured, relaxed and there is plenty to see, it doesn't have to be just the place you land & take off. Though I want to try Fuengirola next I will no doubt return to Torremolinos, and when I do it will be to the Sol Don hotels. Thanks to all the staff for looking after me.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sol by Melia present Sol Don Pedro, has a privileged location, right on the Bajondillo beach promenade, in Torremolinos (Malaga), together with the Sol Don Pablo and Sol Don Marco forms part of the Don Hotels Complex. Is the perfect choice for family or friends, the new rooms (refurbish in 2016) are decorated in a modern and functional style with views over the mountain, gardens and swimming pool. Floating wood floors have been installed in all of them, they have new wardrobes, beds and bedclothes, curtains, mattresses, a giant 43-inch flat screen TV with satellite channels and air conditioning and heating systems. New windows have been installed with insulating glass to keep out noise. All of the rooms have free Wi-Fi, a Safe (*) and a minibar (On request) (*), desk, telephone, terrace / balcony, and full equipped bathroom, hairdryer, magnifying mirror, bath with shower or walk-in shower (subject to availability). Wide and varied day and night entertainment program, for adults and children (5-12 years old). Sol Don Hotels Complex has 6 outdoor swimming pools for adults, 2 children's outdoor pools, 1 indoor heated pool in winter (in Sol Don Pablo) and 2 hot tubs, surrounded by gardens and overlooking the sea. Different dining areas (Restaurant Casares, Cordoba Restaurant, Bar Bangkok, Bar Andalucia, Bar Patio, Bar Romano and pool bar); free internet connection (WIFI) throughout the hotel; Internet corner (E - point) (*); Private and public parking (*); Spa and Hairdresser (*); Convention Center with 10 meeting rooms and can accommodate up to 500 people (*). A few minutes from the Torremolinos center and close to the airport, Malaga and Puerto Marina. (*) With charge. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Hotels.com, Priceline, Expedia, Booking.com, Melia, Ebookers, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd and Cancelon so you can book your Sol Don Pedro Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Don Pedro Torremolinos
- Sol Melia Torremolinos
- Sol Don Pedro Hotel Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol, Spain