“could have been brilliant, ruined by stomach bug”

Marconfort Beach Club Hotel
Ranked #26 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Bristol, United Kingdom
“could have been brilliant, ruined by stomach bug”
Reviewed 10 August 2012

In my opinion the hotel is in a great location, virtually on the beach, the views were breathtaking.
The hotel was of a standard i expected and on a parr to the one I stayed , in benidorm last year, staff were friendly, apart from one of the barmen in the piano bar, who needed lessons in smiling.

There were eight of us in our party, ranging from ages 9 - 79. On the third morning of our holiday my father inlaw became ill sickness and diahorea it kept him in bed for 2 days, the day after he became ill my daughter was struck down with it, then the day after my brother inlaw and sister inlaw were ill, then the day after that my husband. This stopped us from doing most of the things we planned on our holiday I think it is disgracefull that the manager is putting this down to overindulgence and should stop making excuses for this bug which is effecting so many people in his hotel. Close the hotel down and give it a good clean like they do in hospital wards, this will be the only way to rid the hotel of the bug and let people enjoy the holiday they have payed alot of money for.

while this is still present in the hotel, i would not go there it is not worth taking the risk of ruining your holiday.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank maria t
LUISLUQUE, Subdirector at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2012
Dear maria t :
Thank you very much indeed for your confidence in Marconfort Beach Hotel, and for taking a few minutes of your time to express your comments regarding your stay with us.
We are so sorry that you and your familie have been ill during your stay.
Our company makes continuous efforts in cleaning and prevention and is always supervised by experts in health and hygiene controls.
For us, ensuring our clients is the main mission.
Your sincerely.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (912)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Unfortunately we did not have a good experience. We are a family of four and three of us came down with the bug. I do not wish to give a negative review, however, but only an honest one so here goes:

Pros
------

- 10 minutes or so from airport (great when you arrive in the early hours as we did)
- staff generally very friendly and helpful
- we had to call reception in the night as my daughter was sick all over her bed. We were then advised to see the doctor who visited each day. Luis (the manager) explained the issues well and I pity the staff that they cannot rid the place of the bug as it would have made a lot of difference
- food generally very good. Particularly nice tender beef one night
- pools good
- entertainment good (what we saw of it)

Cons
-------

- the bug! we spoke to a few other sets of people who also had the same bug
- we arrived early hours of the morning and tried to crash. Unfortunately there is a nightclub across the road from the hotel by the beach which played loud music all night until around 6am or so! I was not happy. Our final night it was loud too. Most other nights it was audible but not as loud as those two nights. I did not find the bed comfortable either which did not help.
- the carpet on our floor looked like it had never been vacuumed or certainly not in the last few months. Not sure if this helps to incubate the bug or not but it does not help first impressions. After the hotel knew that we'd been ill it had been vacuumed. Not sure if that was coincidence or because we had been ill.
- we booked a trip to Gibraltar which we had to miss due to the bug.

Conclusion
--------------

Overall it is a shame that the bug is present and the staff are certainly trying their best to make sure that everything is clean and there are alcohol hand dispensers everywhere. I have marked the cleanliness low not because things generally seemed unclean but because of the bug. Our experience was not good mainly due to the bug but also the noise of the nightclub. It would have been much better if not for these things as the place has a lot to offer. I would not say this was worthy of four stars either. A three in my experience.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank FamilyOfTravellers2k
Dear FamilyOfTravellers2k :
Thank you for taking your time to leave your comments on Trip Advisor regarding your holiday with us at the Marconfort Beach Hotel.
First of all, we would like to relay our most sincere apologies for not being able to meet your expectations during your stay with us.
The opinion of our customers is very important and we will take note of all comments to further improve our service.
Best tregards.
mid glamorgan
Reviewed 1 August 2012

The hotel is just a few minutes from the airport by taxi which is quickest and easiest way to go compared with about forty five mins if you pre book a transfer bus.Even if you pre book a taxi both ways it costs more .The hotel is right next to the beach you only have to cross the road.If you enjoy walkin the town is not too far away takes about forty mins to walk there, if your too lazy to walk there's buses or taxis,The food choice is excellent if you moan about the food choice you should stay at home.My wife did get a tummy bug on the fri evenin /sat morn and i had one on the tue morn about two hrs before we were to leave but then i usually do wherever I go abroad and its probably due to eating different to the normal.The hotel is clean and well looked after the staff are always busy.The pool and bar area are excellent with a really good crew serving you and you never have to wait any length of time to get served even if theres a few in the queue.Theres some good activities during the day esp the rifle and pistol shootingThe evenings entertainment is varied and some shows are very good and others not so good most of the acts are dancing acts and they can seem repetetive after seeing one or two in the same weekThe rooms are clean and i slept well every night i was there, all in all I had a wonderfull time and this is the fourth time i have stayed at the hotel.

7 Thank daiMidGlamorgan
LUISLUQUE, Subdirector at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, 4 August 2012
Dear daiMidGlamorgan:
Thank you for leaving your comments on Trip Advisor. We are very happy that you had an enjoyable holiday at the Marconfort Beach Hotel and as for rate our animation and food very good
We hope that you and your family back again for a fifth time.
London
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This was our first time staying at this hotel and its a typical 4 star hotel that we usually stay in.
No complaints really everything you would expect until all 3 of us contracted sickness and diarrhoea. In all the year we've gone abroad on holiday we've never got this before and last Wednesday night I was struck down with violent vomitting and diarrhoea, the follwoing morning a Doctor had to be called as I felt very ill and she ordered a ambulance to take me to hospital and said I had a slight fever and Iow blood pressure and would have to be given antibiotics.
After they had taken various tests blood,urine they diagnosed the problem as gastroenteritis which would have been caught through eating the food in the hotel.
I was kept in hopital until Friday afternoon then released to enjoy my last day of my holiday.

3 Thank Stephenpalmer
LUISLUQUE, Subdirector at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear Stephenpalmer :
Thank you very much for taking a few minutes of your time to express your satisfaction during your stay with us.
We greatly appreciate your comments regarding our establishment and we regret that during your stay you were unwell.
May I have the opportunity to inform you, that the hotel works with an external well known company, thats encharged of examenig and controlling ( sanitary water, swimming pools, staff, etc... ) and sampling food.
At the same time, it also monitorises all the cooked food, supervises all ingredients used in the menus, and checks temperatures directely from our buffet. Up until now we havent had any unapproved test. We also follow the current spanish legal laws in kitchen management ( HACCP ).
We also understand your concern and would like to tell you know that we on a daily basis work on prevention, cleanlyness and higiene concerning all departements of the hotel.
This means that our health and hygiene standards are amongst the highest in the area.
Your sincerely.
Sutton Coldfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

Hotel changed names since I was last here. On 6th floor. Air con very poor. Beds are like old military camping beds. Mattresses very thin. I am a lady in her early 40s and a size 12. I ache all over. Anyone heavier build would suffer here. Sons bed has slats falling out in the night. Other sons bed squeals and grinds when he turns over. It startles us and wakes us all up again. Reported last night. Adv come back at 8am. Came back to be told come back later. I just want a room I can sleep in and have some privacy!!! They have allocated one room for my husband and I, and a 12 and 15 year old!!! Am very tired and unhappy and it is only day 2 of our stay. I want to go home........

• Stayed July 2012
7 Thank emilyismydog
Dear emilyismydog:
I would like to thank you very much indeed for taking a few minutes of your valuable time to send us your comments, because through feedback from our guests, we can effectively improve our services.
Before these comments appear on Tripadvisor your problem it was already resolved and we change you to a superior room with new bed and new mattress, since it was not happy with the previous room.
You told me personally that now you are happy with the change.
I hope that you can enjoy the rest of your stay with us
Aldridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Arrived back 22nd July.
Good
Arrived at the reception, check in was quick.
Rooms were fine and a fair size, typical Spanish hotel room.
Food very good, plenty of choice breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Drinks were all inclusive and very good.
Favourite thing about the hotel for me was the service by everyone who worked at the hotel EXCELLANT.
Pool was good and plenty of hard beds to be had, We went over the road to the beach most days and paid 7.50 euro`s for parasol and two beds (with cushions).
Went to Malaga for the day shopping 18 euro`s each way in a taxi a lot cheaper by train up road and bus outside hotel, but we were on holiday bit of luxury.
75% guests Spanish 20% British 5% other
Downside for this hotel and area.
Centre of Torremolinos is a long way to walk in the midday sun.
Sea by the hotel went deep very quick (small children beware).
Hard sun beds.
Would recommend this hotel.

4 Thank phil m
LUISLUQUE, Subdirector at Marconfort Beach Club Hotel, responded to this review, 30 July 2012
Dear phil m :
Thank you very much for your very complete review of the Marconfort Beach Club Hotel.
We love that you value the wide variety of dishes from our buffet and the service that our staff has provided you and thank you for recommending us to friends and family
Wokingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2012

he location is very close to the airport and cost 20 Euros and took 10 minutes. On arrival we were checked in very quickly and were given room 615. All the rooms with 15 on the end of the room number are the biggest as they are on the end corner of the building with the sea and pool views. the balcony and bathroom were both very big. We did request one of these rooms so were very happy to have one :-D
The hotel was lovely and clean and felt very looked after.
Our arrival was slightly ruined by an Irish family telling us to go elsewhere as they had all caught a tummy bug! this did make us a bit wary but we just take extra care to wash our hands, not drink the water etc.
The next day the rest of the hen party checked in and had to pay quite hefty room deposits. All together there were 25 of us and no-one caught a tummy bug (the only illness was of the self inflicted type)!
The food was actually very good for an AI hotel. It seemed to be slightly higher standard than most. It was fresh, it was cooked in front of you. We loved the pizza/italian corner too. Lots of choice with fruit/veg etc and I loved the crackers, meats and cheeses.
The staff in the restaurant and friendly and helpful too.
The bar on an evening was good. Very generous with drinks measures and we were able to get a couple of drinks at a time! George was one of our favourite bar men!
They were quick and you never waited more than a few minutes to get a drink when there was a queue.
The pool was lovely and cool, always managed to get a sun lounger. It did get busy from lunch time onwards but was still fine. The only bad point is that the loungers are the hard plastic ones which aren't that comfortable at all.
Overall, I was very suprised by how nice this hotel was and would definately consider returing.

Room Tip: Ask for an end room with the big balcony! The view is lovely.