“Good Stay - Reception Staff Need to Buck Up.”
Review of Sol Principe

Sol Principe
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Dublin, Ireland
“Good Stay - Reception Staff Need to Buck Up.”
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We had a great holiday, the hotel is on the outer edge of Torremolinos and is quieter and cleaner. This suited us perfectly with a family of young kids, but would not suit young singles looking for night life. The pool area is lovely and very well kept. Our apartment was clean and suited our purposes (but 3* quality not 4*). The air con in the apartments was available 24/7 unlike some commenters have suggested is the case in the main hotel.

The breakfast buffet isn't going to set the food world on fire, but it is plentiful with a wide selection. You won't leave hungry. No fresh orange juice, in Spain, was a let down.

Biggest issue was with reception. Quite frankly the staffing levels and the speed of service on reception are nothing short of disgraceful. We arrived at 10.30pm with a young family. There was one person in front of us and it took us 30 mins to check in! If you arrive in a group or as part of a tour be prepared for a very long wait. There was never a time that there wasn't a queue in reception, so any Qs I had on places to eat or excursions I didn't ask - it wasn't worth it. Also reception staff are functional rather than efficient or helpful. I asked about booking a taxi for 5 to the airport. I was told that taxi's don't take 5, and that there is a rank close by so to organise it myself. When I told them that some relatives had booked a larger taxi for 5 themselves that was met with a shrug of the shoulders and a 'Well, I don't know anything about that'. So we wandered the sea front with 3 kids, finally found a taxi rank and made our own arrangements. Way below the level of care or service I'd expect from a 4*.

1 Thank Tina10
Jose Fermín G, General Manager at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 24 May 2012
Hello Tina10. My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. I would like to thank you very much for giving us your opinion and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for your holidays.

First of all I would like to apoligize If you didn´t like the attention paid in the check in time in reception, We will do our best to improve this aspect for your next time in Sol Principe. I would like to communícate that we are working to speed-up the check in process

Thank you very much for your review again.
Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (416)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have just returned after a 12 night stay and was very disappointed. Having stayed at this hotel over the past 7 years, often twice a year, I was sad to see that standards have dropped to an unacceptable level. We stayed in room 3112, a perfectly acceptable room, however the level of cleaning was very poor. Under the bed was 5 or 6 mm of dust and dirt. There was bits of tissue and paper which were never moved from the floor for the whole of our stay.
My greatest disappointment came from the food. In previous reviews I have always praised this aspect of the hotel but not on this occasion. The choice of food was varied but consistent in the fact that it was all over-cooked and in some cases poor quality ingredients. On several occasions we ate at local restaurants rather than eat at the hotel. I had previously booked to stay half board at this hotel in September of this year but on the evidence of the last two weeks this will be changed to bed & breakfast. It is a shame that a hotel with such superb facilities is being let down by a lack of attention to detail.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Paul F
Jose Fermín G, General Manager at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 27 May 2012
Hello, 186336Fletch100 , My name is José Fermín Gómenz, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. I would like to thank you very much for giving us your review and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for your holidays for so long.
Sorry , if this time you didn´t enjoy your room. We will do our best to improve this aspect for your next time in September in our hotel.
I take note about your restaurant comments.
Thank you very much for your review again your “family” in Torremolinos will be so glad to see you on september again in Sol Principe, and we will hope to have your trust like always in our hotel.
Your sincerely
Jose Fermín Gómez
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Upon arrival you will be greeted by an impressive lobby that looks the part. After this great initial impression and high hopes of a relaxing week in the sun, my opinion of the place eventually became so low I tried to leave three days early.

I am not the type of person that normally complains or makes issues out of small details but this hotel drove me crazy. From the lack of staff, to the very basic food, poor location for everything apart from the beach, the poor quality of rooms and the fact the AC is turned off at night.

Check In / Lobby
Bring a book with you because you will need it, permanently a queue no matter what time of day. Arrived at 1pm and greeted by a small line of about 7 couples, after a 50mins wait we eventually got to the desk. After another 15mins of passport checks/email checks/home address details confirmed we got cards to the room. I initially thought this must be a poor time to check in and peak times they must be faster. But no the entire time I was there I never saw a queue less than 5 people. On one occasion I waited 40mins just to buy a wireless internet card. A person I got chatting to at the pool told me he waited 2 hours just to checkin.

Rooms
I can put up with the room being small, dated, single beds pushed together to make a double and having only 2 english speaking TV channels. But I think it is a total disgrace that between the hours of 11pm and 7am the hotel TURN OFF THE AIR CONDITIONING UNITS. After complaining at reception that the AC was not working, I was informed that it was a very common problem and if I just wait another 90 mins it will be back on at 7am. Kind of summed up the entire hotel.

If you are looking for a relaxing dinner with good wine, great food and a restaurant atmosphere then this place is not for you. The place felt like a school dinners near the beach, so much so that my partner refused to eat dinner in it 3 out of 7 days. Very noisy, poor drinks service and lack of clean tables are only some of the problems.

Breakfast- Large choice of fruits, cereals, breads, juices. Full English style breakfast available as well each morning.

Dinner- To be honest after reading the impressive reviews I was expecting so much more. You will not go hungry as there is plenty to choice from but the quality of food is very very poor. If you were in a restaurant you wouldn't pay.

Facilities / Entertainment / Location
Main pool is very impressive and large amounts of beds.

Location is right on the beach and plenty of supermarkets nearby. If you are looking for night time entertainment you are a good 20/25 min walk along the seafront away from any kind of nightlife after 11, taxis cost about 7euros.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BMSPAIN
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed at the Sol Principe in a room for 4 people (2 Adults and 2 Kids). This room faces the pool. It is not in either of the 2 towers. The room itself was disappointing. The room has a 70's look to it. The main bedroom has no natural light. The sitting room has 2 pull out beds. The TV is a box TV (versus flat screen). The room has a small terrace which overlooks the pool. The beds are simply awful. All of 4 of us had a poor night's sleep during our 4 nights there - we all complained of backaches - we have never complained or had problems with beds in our hotel experiences. The mattresses have been used for too long.

The buffet breakfast is pretty good. They offer a lot of food. We were disappointed that a 4 star hotel does not serve fresh juice. It comes from a juice dispenser and is watered down. The breakfast only opens at 8am which for Spain is probably normal. We were disappointed as we had to leave the hotel on the last day for the airport and therefore could not enjoy breakfast.

The pool at the hotel is beautiful. It is clean and well maintained. The grounds have palm trees and flowers and there is plenty of room for everyone. I guess there were not enough people at the hotel to open the pool bar so we brought our own drinks into the pool area every day. The indoor heated pool is in need of some upgrading. It pales in comparison with the outdoor pool decor. Ensure your small kids walk on the red mats otherwise they could slip and fall on the wet floor.

The shows at night were way too loud. They need to turn down the sound immensely. Our kids could not fall asleep as their individual sofa beds were in the sitting room which overlooked the show stage. Every night the shows started around 10pm and finished at 11pm. Our kids are young and were always kept awake by the loud music from the show despite the fact they wanted to fall asleep.

The hotel is located outside of Torremolinos. If you are looking for night life you may want to stay closer. It is located just across from the beach. There are many restaurants if you are interested in eating outside of the hotel. Be warned that the food at these restaurants is of a lower quality than the food we ate at the hotel.

Room Tip: Bring your own towels for the pool otherwise you will have to use the ones from the room.
1 Thank atime4pleasure
Hello atime4pleasure. My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. First of all to thank you very much for giving us your review and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for your holidays. I regret that your expectations have not been satisfied for the hotel. As you know the hotel have been renovated, and we will continue renewing for the years to come.
I would let you know, that if you communicate to reception we use to prepare a cold breakfast for guest going before the time that we open the restaurant
Thank you very much for your good comments about our lagoon style swimming pool and our food.
Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel.
wales uk
Reviewed 19 May 2012

Just returned from an all girls long weekend at this charming hotel.As we stayed on a B&B basis I cannot comment on the evening meals but the breakfast menu was very good.The hotel is in a lovely location and the overall standard of the hotel including the rooms was excellent.Reception staff I found were very accomodating but a little understaffed.I would recommend this hotel for families but couples and older guests would probraly be wise to book for a may or september break as I am sure there would be lots and lots of children in peak times.I would definitely return with my husband or friends at a later date.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank tugboatwales
Ireland
Reviewed 15 May 2012

Just back from a week half board. Two adults and a 5 year old. The apartment was fine - we only used it to sleep in. We had breakfast and lunch/dinner in the hotel most days. The food was fine. The kids club is good - a lot of pool games. What isn't so good is the night-time entertainment. The shows are geared at adults and have little impact on children. We stayed here twice in 2007. It isn't as good now and what causes that is the staff - it's glory previously was in its staff but now they seem to be very slow and not very interested.

2 Thank IrishA
Hello IrishA. . My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. I would like to thank you very much for giving us your review and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for enjoy your holidays again.

I take note about your night -time entertainment comments, and let me recommend you our fantastic Flintstones entertainment for kids from june till September, and our night shows The lion King, Peter Pan, Fantasia... in which kids can participate with the activities team, and have a really good time.

Thank you very much for your review again .The hotel staff will be so glad to see you next time in Sol Principe, and we will do our best to turn that “good” into a “better”

Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

My partner and I booked a weekend break in Torremolinos, we booked on line and purposefully booked this hotel as it was on the beach...........and it was!! Great place, very clean rooms, and good facilities. Very much a family hotel, lots of families and kids, but also great facilities for adults with Sports Bar (I know what your thinking) and relaxed areas with comfy sofa's in bar area. The sports bar was not what you would expect, done out with a Moroccan theme, stained glass windows, arched doorways etc.....we did dance the night away to a bizarre mix of Tom Jones and some French pop musak!! We went for B&B, with breakfast being buffet style but with great variety of foods on offer...continental style and English cooked breakfast, cereals, juice, pastries, would recommend. There was also a buffet style evening sitting for around 18 euros each....I didn't have cause to complain but my partner was disappointed with the sea food selection on offer, with so many tapas bars and cafes in the town center and beach side restaurants would certainly recommend exploring. Downer was the queues when we arrived, check in very slow process....although the free sangria on offer helped to ease the pain somewhat. Would stay again, also very close from airport so well within reach of taxi, saves on having to wait for lengthy queues waiting for transfers!!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darren S
Hello Darren S. My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. First of all I would like to extend our appreciation for your review and thanks for spend your holidays in Sol Principe.

I apologize to keep you waiting during the check in. We will do our best to speed up the check- in process. I take note about your partner buffet suggestions.

Thank you for your review again. I will hope to see you in the Hotel soon.

Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel