“Will return for sure, but go self catering next time.”

Sol Principe by Melia
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 29 May 2012

Just back from a week in Sol Principe. We were blessed with the weather and only a short trip from the airport to the hotel, about 10 mins. As far as location you goes you can't do much better then this hotel. You have everything you need on your doorstep. The beach is literally outside the hotel gate and you are within short walking distance to a great selection if shops and restaurants.
The hotel itself has a Flinstone Theme though nothing going on when we were there as it was still a bit early in the season and this doesn't really begin until June.
There is nightly entertainment both inside and outside so always something to do. The pool area is just fantastic for the little ones. My little girl (3) spent all day in there enjoying the slides.
The pool area is gorgeous. They have a huge lagoon style pool.
The pool bar wasn't open at this time of year, though the Flinstones restaurant was open serving food and drink, it is quite pricey though, and for the sake of a short walk along the front promenade you can eat for a fraction of the price.
The rooms though a little dated were spotless and the cleaning staff very friendly and accommodating. As the little one was sick we required our room cleaned daily and this was no problem.
The hotel staff including waiters and bar tenders were all very friendly and helpful.
We booked half board so ate breakfast and dinner in the evening. We always go half board on holidays and I am sorry to admit that this food was of the worst standard I've ever encountered. Unless you want to eat salads and fruit which is what we had to revert to for the final days of our holiday, everything seems to be fried. Now we are not fussy eaters and easy to please when it comes to food. I am a vegetarian and while there was a great selection of veg they all seemed to be deep fried. Deep fried meat, fish, veg even potatoes. There was a great selection of salad etc but you don't want to eat this all the time. Breakfast I suppose was OK as there was cereals, breads fruits etc. Then there was bacon, sausages, eggs oh and fried potato.
Apart from the food I would recommend this hotel to anyone considering a holiday but advise they go self catering. There are self catering apts that share the hotel, pool grounds and this is what I will opt for next time round.
Great hotel for families and couples alike. Excellent location with friendly helpful staff.
Sinead Byrne
Ireland

2  Thank nadiespice
Jose Fermín G, General Manager at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2012

Hello, nadiespice . My name is Jose Fermín Gómez I am the General manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel. Thank you very much for giving us your review and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for enjoy your holidays.
I regret that you didn´t enjoy our restaurant, we take note about that, and we will do our best to improve this aspect for your next time.
We would like to see you again in our hotel. Meanwhile If you want, you can follow us on facebook/solhotels.com
Sincerely José Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe

Reviewed 28 May 2012

At first the hotel looks great the room we had was roomy and we had no issues with cleaning etc. We only took breakfast option and found food ok but best time is well before 9 a.m. as chaotic later tables not cleared quickly appears to be plenty of senior staff ' swanning around' but not enough workers ! Be prepared for long waits at reception we were not with a party but stood for at least three quarters of an hour to check in , what is even more galling is we were already booked in on-line and had to repeat all the info we had given weeks earlier. The reception staff are the most arrogant we have come across for years we thought Spain had got rid of this sort of attitude 40 years ago !! We had to report that our TV was not working only to be told that there was an issue with the antenna only to find that the aerial connection was damaged so take anything you are told with a pinch of salt ! The room aircon is turned off at midnight then on at 7-30 a.m. so difficult to sleep in hot weather ! This could be a brilliant hotel but is let down by frontline staff.

1  Thank Rog&Bez

Hello Rog&Bez, My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General Manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel.
First of all I would like to extend our appreciation for your comments and thanks for having your holidays in Sol Principe.
I apologize for the inconvenience at reception , We will do our best to improve this aspect for your next time in Sol Principe. I take note about your restaurant comments, opinions such as yours help us to improve day by day.
I would let you know that during May, we have the air conditioned working during the day because we have mild weather and it is a little bit chiily in the nights .
Thank you very much for your review again .The hotel staff will be so glad to see you next time in Sol Principie to make your holidays great.
Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel

Reviewed 24 May 2012

I stayed for a week and at the end of the week I did not want to leave, excellent hotel for children and young famililes but the food was horrific we couldnt eat it and we refused to eat breakfast luch or dinner. excellent area hotel was spotless. Not for youg couples but close train links into party resort Benalmadena and Malaga. Excellent english breakfast at the tudor rose restaurant just a 5 min walk from the hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the new building if possibble
2  Thank MIllieMollyMandy21
Reviewed 22 May 2012

We had a great holiday, the hotel is on the outer edge of Torremolinos and is quieter and cleaner. This suited us perfectly with a family of young kids, but would not suit young singles looking for night life. The pool area is lovely and very well kept. Our apartment was clean and suited our purposes (but 3* quality not 4*). The air con in the apartments was available 24/7 unlike some commenters have suggested is the case in the main hotel.

The breakfast buffet isn't going to set the food world on fire, but it is plentiful with a wide selection. You won't leave hungry. No fresh orange juice, in Spain, was a let down.

Biggest issue was with reception. Quite frankly the staffing levels and the speed of service on reception are nothing short of disgraceful. We arrived at 10.30pm with a young family. There was one person in front of us and it took us 30 mins to check in! If you arrive in a group or as part of a tour be prepared for a very long wait. There was never a time that there wasn't a queue in reception, so any Qs I had on places to eat or excursions I didn't ask - it wasn't worth it. Also reception staff are functional rather than efficient or helpful. I asked about booking a taxi for 5 to the airport. I was told that taxi's don't take 5, and that there is a rank close by so to organise it myself. When I told them that some relatives had booked a larger taxi for 5 themselves that was met with a shrug of the shoulders and a 'Well, I don't know anything about that'. So we wandered the sea front with 3 kids, finally found a taxi rank and made our own arrangements. Way below the level of care or service I'd expect from a 4*.

1  Thank Tina10
Jose Fermín G, General Manager at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

Hello Tina10. My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. I would like to thank you very much for giving us your opinion and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for your holidays.

First of all I would like to apoligize If you didn´t like the attention paid in the check in time in reception, We will do our best to improve this aspect for your next time in Sol Principe. I would like to communícate that we are working to speed-up the check in process

Thank you very much for your review again.
Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel

Reviewed 21 May 2012

I have just returned after a 12 night stay and was very disappointed. Having stayed at this hotel over the past 7 years, often twice a year, I was sad to see that standards have dropped to an unacceptable level. We stayed in room 3112, a perfectly acceptable room, however the level of cleaning was very poor. Under the bed was 5 or 6 mm of dust and dirt. There was bits of tissue and paper which were never moved from the floor for the whole of our stay.
My greatest disappointment came from the food. In previous reviews I have always praised this aspect of the hotel but not on this occasion. The choice of food was varied but consistent in the fact that it was all over-cooked and in some cases poor quality ingredients. On several occasions we ate at local restaurants rather than eat at the hotel. I had previously booked to stay half board at this hotel in September of this year but on the evidence of the last two weeks this will be changed to bed & breakfast. It is a shame that a hotel with such superb facilities is being let down by a lack of attention to detail.

2  Thank Paul F
Jose Fermín G, General Manager at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2012

Hello, 186336Fletch100 , My name is José Fermín Gómenz, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. I would like to thank you very much for giving us your review and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for your holidays for so long.
Sorry , if this time you didn´t enjoy your room. We will do our best to improve this aspect for your next time in September in our hotel.
I take note about your restaurant comments.
Thank you very much for your review again your “family” in Torremolinos will be so glad to see you on september again in Sol Principe, and we will hope to have your trust like always in our hotel.
Your sincerely
Jose Fermín Gómez

Reviewed 20 May 2012

Upon arrival you will be greeted by an impressive lobby that looks the part. After this great initial impression and high hopes of a relaxing week in the sun, my opinion of the place eventually became so low I tried to leave three days early.

I am not the type of person that normally complains or makes issues out of small details but this hotel drove me crazy. From the lack of staff, to the very basic food, poor location for everything apart from the beach, the poor quality of rooms and the fact the AC is turned off at night.

Check In / Lobby
Bring a book with you because you will need it, permanently a queue no matter what time of day. Arrived at 1pm and greeted by a small line of about 7 couples, after a 50mins wait we eventually got to the desk. After another 15mins of passport checks/email checks/home address details confirmed we got cards to the room. I initially thought this must be a poor time to check in and peak times they must be faster. But no the entire time I was there I never saw a queue less than 5 people. On one occasion I waited 40mins just to buy a wireless internet card. A person I got chatting to at the pool told me he waited 2 hours just to checkin.

Rooms
I can put up with the room being small, dated, single beds pushed together to make a double and having only 2 english speaking TV channels. But I think it is a total disgrace that between the hours of 11pm and 7am the hotel TURN OFF THE AIR CONDITIONING UNITS. After complaining at reception that the AC was not working, I was informed that it was a very common problem and if I just wait another 90 mins it will be back on at 7am. Kind of summed up the entire hotel.

If you are looking for a relaxing dinner with good wine, great food and a restaurant atmosphere then this place is not for you. The place felt like a school dinners near the beach, so much so that my partner refused to eat dinner in it 3 out of 7 days. Very noisy, poor drinks service and lack of clean tables are only some of the problems.

Breakfast- Large choice of fruits, cereals, breads, juices. Full English style breakfast available as well each morning.

Dinner- To be honest after reading the impressive reviews I was expecting so much more. You will not go hungry as there is plenty to choice from but the quality of food is very very poor. If you were in a restaurant you wouldn't pay.

Facilities / Entertainment / Location
Main pool is very impressive and large amounts of beds.

Location is right on the beach and plenty of supermarkets nearby. If you are looking for night time entertainment you are a good 20/25 min walk along the seafront away from any kind of nightlife after 11, taxis cost about 7euros.

3  Thank BMSPAIN
Reviewed 20 May 2012

We stayed at the Sol Principe in a room for 4 people (2 Adults and 2 Kids). This room faces the pool. It is not in either of the 2 towers. The room itself was disappointing. The room has a 70's look to it. The main bedroom has no natural light. The sitting room has 2 pull out beds. The TV is a box TV (versus flat screen). The room has a small terrace which overlooks the pool. The beds are simply awful. All of 4 of us had a poor night's sleep during our 4 nights there - we all complained of backaches - we have never complained or had problems with beds in our hotel experiences. The mattresses have been used for too long.

The buffet breakfast is pretty good. They offer a lot of food. We were disappointed that a 4 star hotel does not serve fresh juice. It comes from a juice dispenser and is watered down. The breakfast only opens at 8am which for Spain is probably normal. We were disappointed as we had to leave the hotel on the last day for the airport and therefore could not enjoy breakfast.

The pool at the hotel is beautiful. It is clean and well maintained. The grounds have palm trees and flowers and there is plenty of room for everyone. I guess there were not enough people at the hotel to open the pool bar so we brought our own drinks into the pool area every day. The indoor heated pool is in need of some upgrading. It pales in comparison with the outdoor pool decor. Ensure your small kids walk on the red mats otherwise they could slip and fall on the wet floor.

The shows at night were way too loud. They need to turn down the sound immensely. Our kids could not fall asleep as their individual sofa beds were in the sitting room which overlooked the show stage. Every night the shows started around 10pm and finished at 11pm. Our kids are young and were always kept awake by the loud music from the show despite the fact they wanted to fall asleep.

The hotel is located outside of Torremolinos. If you are looking for night life you may want to stay closer. It is located just across from the beach. There are many restaurants if you are interested in eating outside of the hotel. Be warned that the food at these restaurants is of a lower quality than the food we ate at the hotel.

Room Tip: Bring your own towels for the pool otherwise you will have to use the ones from the room.
1  Thank atime4pleasure

Hello atime4pleasure. My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. First of all to thank you very much for giving us your review and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for your holidays. I regret that your expectations have not been satisfied for the hotel. As you know the hotel have been renovated, and we will continue renewing for the years to come.
I would let you know, that if you communicate to reception we use to prepare a cold breakfast for guest going before the time that we open the restaurant
Thank you very much for your good comments about our lagoon style swimming pool and our food.
Sincerely Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel.