“Definately would not return”

Sol Principe by Melia
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 18 August 2012

Upon arrival we had to wait 30 mins to be checked in. The reception desk is the smallest I have seen in any spanish hotel. Considering the size of this large hotel this is inadequate. There are arrivals all day and I spent a lot of time waiting to speak with reception so had to wait in a queue over and over again.

Little information given by reception staff. Was not told about hiring a key to the safe. Our room 3009 was on the 10th floor which was not easy to find. On arrival into the room I had booked a 3 bedded room which had only 2 beds. The telephone did not work and insufficient towels in the room.

Having already wasted so much time checking in I was not impressed. We frequently visit Sol Melia hotels. This being the very worst for customer service. I tried to air my views with the Director of this hotel, but he did not come to speak with me.

I am always appreciative of good customer service but the reception staff here are simply understaffed for this very large hotel.

As this is peak season I expected the hotel to be busy and opted for this instead of an all inclusive resort. I think I chose wrong.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Kkennedy
Write a ReviewReviews (3,600)

Reviewed 15 August 2012

Spent ten days at this hotel B&B in August 2012. The hotel is very popular with Spanish and was very busy. The staff are very friendly and hard working. If you are a couple with one child like us there is very little space in the double room, but with the quality of the facilities there should be no reason to spend anything but the minimum of time in the bedroom. The delays in checking in at reception referred to by other reviewers have not gone away, while I was not affected I did see some very long ques. This is an excellent resort for families with small children with nightly outdoor entertainment. Despite being high season there was no problem getting sun beds at any time of the day. The beach is across the road and the sun beds there with foam mattresses are as comfortable as you will get. The hotel would not appeal to singles or teenagers but they are catered for adequately elsewhere in Torremolinos.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank 280Esq
Reviewed 12 August 2012

We have just returned from a weeks holiday in the sol principe hotel and we had a great experience.

We were a little dubious having read some bad reviews but we got much more than we expected.

The hotel itself is very large and has excellent amenities. The kids club and entertainment is excellent. The best we have ever seen. The children's entertainers are excellent with th children and all speak perfect english. Our 6 year old daughter loved them all.

I'm not usually a fan of kids club and am very overprotective but here I had no worries. Very talented entertainers. Shows were excellent.

We started b and b and the breakfast was great. Great food.

We were dreading reception but were lucky and didn't get caught in any queues. Staff very nice and helpful. The Burger bar at the pool is understaffed if I were to have any complaints.

Overall a very enjoyable stay, great pools also. Torremolinos itself very nice, lovey prom walk and our favourite restaurant was le Valero on the beach.

Will return.

Room Tip: Our first room given to us was very small. So we got a bigger one. No problem at all.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
6  Thank Sharon B
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Great value for money food very good loads of selection. Rooms in the old block very tired and confined. Try to get a room in the new block. Location good and next to the beach but is quite a trek to the town centre. We had a car so travelled to Marbella and the local markets which was really good and recommended.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank mattstk
Reviewed 10 August 2012

It is a hotel that has the services required by a 4 stars hotel but only extracharge which should not happen. We stayed for 10 days, half-board and the food was absolutely the same each day. Maybe 2-3 dishes differed from one day to another. If you care at least a bit of your health, it is very difficult to find smth there: 90% of the dishes were drowned in oil. The kids entertainment was suitable for up to 3 years old.
Also avoid the travel agency located in the nearest square (near the Tourist office). First I rented from them a car. Next days I returned to search for some bus trips and when I asked about the schedule of a trip (which is normal because you want to know what are you paying for) the 2 old and crazy people from there (a man and a women) started to shout at us and told that it is not my business the schedule of the trip.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Mihaela A
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I was a little worried about coming to this hotel after reading some reviews. I don't know why I worried as we didn't experience any of the concerns that i'd read. Food was brill lots to choose from and a good variety. This hotel is very family friendly, the animation team are excellent the shows on an evening were well planned and of a very high standard. They were great with the kids in the mini club, couldn't get my kids out they wanted to go every day once they had been. Just a brill holiday will definitely return to this hotel next year. The rooms were very clean although they could do with a bit of a modernisation.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Linda368
Jose Fermín G, General Manager at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2012

Dear Linda368,

Thank you very much for trusting in Sol Príncipe to enjoy your holidays .
We appreciate your kind words about your experience in our hotel; opinions such as yours help us to carry on working every day with enthusiasm and illusion.

We take note about your suggestion, we studied it.

We hope to see you again having another fantastic holiday with us.

Sincerely

José Fermín Gómez. General manager Sol Príncipe Hotel.

Reviewed 31 July 2012

We have stayed in this hotel many times over the years. First in the apartments when our children came with us and now in the hotel. It is a very busy hotel and this time of year there are a lot of families about. The hotel is spotless and the buffet breakfast caters for every taste from hot to continental breakfast. My one and only complaint is the same as it always has been. There are not enough staff on the reception desk for such a large hotel. When we were checking out we had to wait 20 minutes. The reception staff are very helpful and they have to deal with a lot so it would make sense to put more staff on. The maximum number I noticed at any time was three people.

Room Tip: Sea view room is at the quieter end of the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Tina M

Dear Tina M

My name is Jose Fermín Gómez I am the general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel. Thank you very much for having chosen Sol Príncipe for your holidays for so long.

We appreciate your kind words, and your suggestions about our reception we take note about them.

Thank you very much again for your review, I will hope to see you soon in Sol Príncipe.

Kind regards

José Fermín Gómez, general manager Sol Príncipe hotel.