We have just returned from 8 nights at the Sol Principe and have to say that we really enjoyed our time there. The rooms were small and basic but had everything you would need including a fridge and we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. There is a safe in the room which costs €23 for the week and you get €5 back when you return the key. We did not avail of the safe however and felt secure in leaving our belongings out of the safe.
Also wifi is payable extra which I found interesting considering it is such a big 4 star hotel, I thought they could have had at least free wifi in the lobby but no, you had to pay to use the wifi. €5 euro a day or €20 for the week or €30 for two weeks. And be warned, if you do get wifi, do not throw away the ticket with the password as it kept logging out on me and I had to re-enter the password on numerous occasions so keep the slip of paper until your wifi time runs out.
we were on a bed & breakfast basis and the buffet style breakfast had everything you could possibly want. There was a great choice of food for everyone.
We did have a wander into the restaurant for Lunch but the food did not look to our taste to we opted to eat out for lunch everyday with some lovely cafes & restaurants near by.
Location wise, the hotel is perfect for those wanting to make use of the beach, literally straight across the road! we did find it a nice walk into the centre of torremolinos and we didn't mind the walk being a young couple, however doing this walk with young children might get a bit tiring! In saying that the hotel itself and its facilities seems to be perfect for families. Nice kiddies pools with slides and a shallow end to the main pool. The Kids club appeared to be well run and all of the kids while we were there seemed to really enjoy it and looked forward to going to it. The entertainment staff were excellent, always full of energy, I do not know how they keep going and have that much enthusiasm and energy all the time. They encourage you to take part in the daily activities without pestering you if you say no.
If you don't fancy the walk into the centre, a taxi will cost €6 and a taxi to the La Carihuela area will cost you €8 or you can walk along the promenade for about 35 mins to get into the main La Carihuela area.
La Carihuela is most definitely worth at least one visit. The restaurants and Chiringuitos along the promenade are lovely and you will be spoilt for choice as to where to eat. some nice shops along here for gifts also.
Not sure how often the rooms are serviced as we did not require our room to be serviced everyday but we did have a change of linen twice and got fresh towels everyday. All staff that we came across were friendly.
We did not experience any delays in reception at check in or check out however, at times there was a big queue which is to be expected if there are a number of guests checking in or out at any one time.
There is a supersol supermarket across the road from the back entrance to the hotel and this is much cheaper than the shops in the hotel and the shops on the promenade near the gate to the hotel. so if you are needing to stock up on water etc... go to the supersol.
Entertainment in the hotel nightly to suit families near the lagoon pool and an older crowd 50+ maybe on the terrace. there is music nightly on the terrace. There is also a smaller quieter pool near the promenade side of the hotel and is perfect for those who do not want the hustle and bustle around the main pool.
Overall we enjoyed the hotel and loved the lagoon pool area which was what made us book here to begin with. Would return here again even if it is a bit far out of the centre and would like to see free wifi, if even only in the lobby.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sol by Melia present Sol Príncipe Hotel, is located in Torremolinos (Malaga) right on the beachfront with direct access to the promenade, to the beautiful Playamar Beach and numerous bars (typical restaurants on the sand) specialized in "fried fish." 27,000 m2 of facilities make Sol Principe a spectacular hotel with day and night activities for children and adults; ideal for family vacations. The rooms of different categories with magnificent views of the sea or to the Spectacular Caribbean lagoon-style swimming pool surrounded by exotic gardens. Air conditioning, LCD TV 43", Safe (*), Mini fridge, hairdryer and a large furnished terrace (table / chairs); 4 swimming pools for adults (1 indoor) and 1 for children, Solarium and hammocks; different dining spaces, beauty salon; Wireless internet access (free) throughout the hotel, fitness, live music. also has 14 meeting rooms with capacity for up to 750 people. (*). Adapted for disabled guests, private car park (*). (*) With charge ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Melia, LoveHolidays, Jet2Holidays , Alpha Holidays Limited, Onthebeach, Travel Republic (UK), Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sol Principe by Melia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Principe Torremolinos
- Sol Principe Hotel
- Hotel Sol Principe
- Sol Principe By Melia Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol, Spain