“Very Enjoyable”

Sol Principe by Melia
Ranked #17 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 12 June 2013

We have just returned from 8 nights at the Sol Principe and have to say that we really enjoyed our time there. The rooms were small and basic but had everything you would need including a fridge and we didn't spend much time in the room anyway. There is a safe in the room which costs €23 for the week and you get €5 back when you return the key. We did not avail of the safe however and felt secure in leaving our belongings out of the safe.

Also wifi is payable extra which I found interesting considering it is such a big 4 star hotel, I thought they could have had at least free wifi in the lobby but no, you had to pay to use the wifi. €5 euro a day or €20 for the week or €30 for two weeks. And be warned, if you do get wifi, do not throw away the ticket with the password as it kept logging out on me and I had to re-enter the password on numerous occasions so keep the slip of paper until your wifi time runs out.

we were on a bed & breakfast basis and the buffet style breakfast had everything you could possibly want. There was a great choice of food for everyone.

We did have a wander into the restaurant for Lunch but the food did not look to our taste to we opted to eat out for lunch everyday with some lovely cafes & restaurants near by.

Location wise, the hotel is perfect for those wanting to make use of the beach, literally straight across the road! we did find it a nice walk into the centre of torremolinos and we didn't mind the walk being a young couple, however doing this walk with young children might get a bit tiring! In saying that the hotel itself and its facilities seems to be perfect for families. Nice kiddies pools with slides and a shallow end to the main pool. The Kids club appeared to be well run and all of the kids while we were there seemed to really enjoy it and looked forward to going to it. The entertainment staff were excellent, always full of energy, I do not know how they keep going and have that much enthusiasm and energy all the time. They encourage you to take part in the daily activities without pestering you if you say no.

If you don't fancy the walk into the centre, a taxi will cost €6 and a taxi to the La Carihuela area will cost you €8 or you can walk along the promenade for about 35 mins to get into the main La Carihuela area.

La Carihuela is most definitely worth at least one visit. The restaurants and Chiringuitos along the promenade are lovely and you will be spoilt for choice as to where to eat. some nice shops along here for gifts also.

Not sure how often the rooms are serviced as we did not require our room to be serviced everyday but we did have a change of linen twice and got fresh towels everyday. All staff that we came across were friendly.

We did not experience any delays in reception at check in or check out however, at times there was a big queue which is to be expected if there are a number of guests checking in or out at any one time.

There is a supersol supermarket across the road from the back entrance to the hotel and this is much cheaper than the shops in the hotel and the shops on the promenade near the gate to the hotel. so if you are needing to stock up on water etc... go to the supersol.

Entertainment in the hotel nightly to suit families near the lagoon pool and an older crowd 50+ maybe on the terrace. there is music nightly on the terrace. There is also a smaller quieter pool near the promenade side of the hotel and is perfect for those who do not want the hustle and bustle around the main pool.

Overall we enjoyed the hotel and loved the lagoon pool area which was what made us book here to begin with. Would return here again even if it is a bit far out of the centre and would like to see free wifi, if even only in the lobby.

2  Thank Bernieonabike
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of the Sol Príncipe hotel.

I am pleased that you found your stay enjoyable and our facilities were good for you. My Restaurant Manager will be happy to hear that you enjoyed your breakfast with us. We appreciate your comments about our staff, entertainment and lagoon pool. We take note of your opinion about the wifi, we will study it.

I do hope to welcome you back to Sol Príncipe hotel in the future.

Kind regards,

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel.

Reviewed 11 June 2013

What a great family hotel! It has been our 3rd year running we have spent a week at the Sol Principe - staff and service was fantastic especially as I was unwell and they were so kind and helpful!
Reception can be slow. But the rooms are always clean and the breakfast selection excellent. Well situated to get to the beach.
Looking forward to returning!

Room Tip: Rooms with sea views seem to be quieter!

Dear Allison H,

Thank you for your brilliant review of your experience at Sol Príncipe Hotel.

It gives me great pleasure to see that you enjoyed your holidays with us for so long. I am delighted that the staff has been able to make it a memorable visit for you.

We look forward to you joining us again at Sol Príncipe

Kind regards,

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel

Reviewed 9 June 2013

We went for a 10 day holiday and it is the fourth time we have stayed at the hotel. The hotel is perfect for families and our children love the pool! we had a sea view family room with a fantastic view and large balcony. The hotel is very clean. Reception can be a little slow but all the staff are very friendly. We went half board and the food was good it does get repetitive but most hotels do! We only saw the magic show one evening and the children enjoyed this. The location is perfect close to the beach and near enough to walk to the town and the next resort. We would definitely recommend the hotel and we hope to visit again in the future.

Room Tip: higher floors have a better view. Family sea view rooms are very spacious.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2013

Dear Heaton2011,

I would like to thank you very much for giving us your review and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for enjoy your holidays for so long.
It is a big pleasure for us to read your opinion about the hotel, specially the good comments, about the room, pools, and staff kindness.

We take note of your comments, we will study them, your opinion is so important for us.

Looking forward to see you again in Sol Príncipe

Kind Regards

José Fermín Gómez. General manager Sol Príncipe hotel.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

just got back from 4 night break at sol principe hotel torremolinos check in was a bit slow not enough staff for checkins and day to day stuff looked like to me but thought hotel was very good on the whole very clean plenty lifts paid for seaview always do and was not disapointed nice private balcony ,did not have to pay for fridge charge for safe though, aircon seem to go off at night when in bed puzzling only stayed b&b but very nice bread not very nice which i found unusual for spain normaally very good, self service drinks which were ok staff slow to clear tables though annoying. shops out to lagoon pool plentiful pool very good ,fred flintstone theme for kids and park, wheelchair friendly resort pretty flat beach right across road I always like beds and a brolly on beach these had thick mattresses and only charged 8 euros which i thought very resonable all in all very enjoyable break would not hesitate to book again

Room Tip: I always try to get higher rooms with seaview just finishes day off

Dear micnsues,

My name is José Fermín Gómez. I am the general manager of Sol Príncipe hotel. Thank you very much for enjoy your holidays with us, and than you to post your review on trip advisor. We treat the feedback we get with great importance and appreciate comments such as yours are vital for us.

We look forward to see you again in our hotel.

Reviewed 7 June 2013

So this was our second stay at the Sol Principe.......the hotel was great, pool was fab and the public areas really clean and to a high standard. My only comment was that the crowd were older, and they didnt seem to cater for younger people...I dont mean kids as the kids club seemed very popular. Most of the entertainment in the evening appeared to be some club singer style on an organ ! Not my cup of tea and this seemed to be a bit samey night after night...Would be good if they catered for a younger crowd.....not 18 - 30's....but maybe 30 - 50's......that was my only adverse comment. Reception staff where awesome, great local knowledge and very helpful with advise as one of our party was disabled. Our room was better than first visit, we had sea view on the 8th floor overlooking the beach and Malaga. We upgraded for 70 euros which between 3 of us we though was a bargain. Great hotel........oh but the food cafe by the main pool....food is pants !

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Darren S,

Thank you very much for sharing your comments on Trip Advisor. Without a doubt, feedback like yours encourages us to continue working hard so that our guests’ experiences at our hotels are enjoyable ones. I will share this comments with reception staff, for sure they will be so happy for read it.

We take note about all your suggestions, we will study them.

We will hope to see you again for a third time very soon,

Reviewed 6 June 2013

We stayed here at the Sol Principe as we have stayed in Torremolinos several times and have found this Hotel to be just what we want. We were there in May and at this time of the year, the Hotel is relatively quiet. We found that check-in was very quick this time, our room was available even though we had arrived a little early in the day and as requested, we had a room on a high floor with a reasonable view of the sea. The food in the restaurant is plentiful, well-cooked and varied for a large Hotel. All Staff were pleasant and welcoming! There are plenty of sunbeds but in high season, it may be difficult to find one. It may be that we take our daughter and family on holiday next year and we would certainly come back here with them.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear TES520_12,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely feedback following your recent visit.

It pleases me to read that you had a enyojable stay.

Our staff likes to make our guests’ stay one that is relaxing and memorable whilst ensuring that they have everything they may need. Your kind comments that they were friendly and helpful are most appreciated and I will be sure to pass them on to the team.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sol Príncipe in the near future.

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Me, my Mum and son travelled.
On arrival our room was not ready. We were tired and hungry and warm and check-in was VERY slow. We put our luggage in the luggage room and had some overly priced snacks at the snack bar(burgers, hotdogs, chips) They tasted horrible and were lukewarm. A running theme of the food in my experience. Drink prices are terribly high.
When we did get into our apartment room we were happy with it in general. The floor tiles could be replaced in the kitchen area. There are a few lumps missing from them. In a room that is described as 'fully equipped' there was no kettle or iron(yet more expense in hiring out, ugh). Two ring cooker, and a fridge were the amenities. I also chose NOT to go with the extortionate WiFi fee. Our room lost power three times. Sunday, Monday and Friday. It was quite random and not down to us over using appliances. It was rectified quite soon after every phone call to reception but a noteworthy annoyance.

On the single occasion that we treated ourselves to the dinner buffet €50(2 adults,1 child, drinks extra, even water) we were extremely disappointed, and I wouldn't consider our family fussy eaters. One chicken dish available(legs in a tomato and pea infested sauce!?) Warmish pork in warmish sauce, warmish carved ham, Luke warm chips, Luke warm spaghetti, nothing pipping hot. Very fish heavy menu(not for us AT ALL). So we were delighted we didn't chose an all inclusive option, or even half board for that matter. We made our own breakfast and lunch(well placed SuperSol suprmarket across from hotel)and ate out for dinner in some lovely well priced places!
Room would have been cleaned everyday and towels were replaced everyday. Our sheets were changed twice. Perhaps they would have been changed more but we didn't require a cleaning every day, although the cleaners did knock daily.
The kiddy pool(with slides) we didn't attend daily as there were bigger kids(7/8yo) being quite rough and we decided to stay at the shallower end of the pool by the pool bar.

The redeeming feature of the hotel and what would have us come back again was the Kids Club. My son had a wonderful time with the people that ran it. Arne, Carlos, Elias, Maria and Natalie were lovely and super with the children.
The entertainment on a Monday, Thursday and Saturday were the best as it involved the hotel and kids club entertainers and they were great at putting on a show.

Yes I would go back, but to give my son lovely memories of holidays with the Kids Club. However If I was going back without a young family I would stay elsewhere as there is nothing that would bring me back to Sol Principe Hotel unfortunately.

Room Tip: We were happy on the third floor. Pool view. Self catering apartment.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
9  Thank Ms-HoneyBadger
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2013

Dear twinkle12,

Thank you for taking time to write a review, and for having your holidays in our hotel. I apologize if your experience in Sol Príncipe wasn’t satisfactory.
We treat the feedback we get with great importance and appreciate comments such as yours are vital for us. I will share my comments with the heads of departments and we will study them, I am sure they will help us to improve our service.
I am glad to hear that you enjoy Sol Principe’s kids club, I will share your comments with the team, they will pleased to read them.
I would also like to take this opportunity to inform you that our activities team has prepared a new show and new kids activities for summer.
We would be so pleased if you come back to the hotel to give us a second opportunity

Sincerely

José Fermín Gómez, general manager Sol Príncipe hotel.