We stayed here earlier this week (June 2013) with our young boys. This hotel is not cheap but it does provide good value for your money.
There is a lot of complaints on trip advisor regarding reception at this hotel and our experience was mixed. There was no queue at the desk when we arrived and it still took 20 minutes to get sorted. That said they we found them quite helpful and friendly with one BIG exception. The day before we left we asked at reception if we could book a taxi for the next morning to take us to the airport. They said no but gave us two options 1. ring for a taxi in the morning (only takes 5 mins) or 2. get the bus from the road outside the hotel entrance. We opted for option 2 and was told that we could get the airport bus across the road at 8.30am. The next morning as we were checking out we asked again about the bus and was told that the bus was a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel and a map was provided showing the location. Having been given two different bits of info regarding the bus I went back to the desk and asked another person there which was correct. The third person seemed more sure and said that the bus passes the hotel entrance on the other side of the road at 8.30am but does not stop but may do if waved down. Anyway by 8.40 I waved down a taxi and as we were driving off the bus passed on the opposite side of the road to what we had been told.
If the hotel management read this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure your staff are giving correct and consistent information. It is the small details like this that give a great hotel like yours 4/5 instead of 5/5.
We took a family room with the pool view in the older part of the hotel which was more 3 star than 4 star but it was clean and adequate for our needs. The balcony was big enough for two people to sit out on and overlooked the entertainment stage which we found handy when the boys were tired and went to bed early.
Magnificent. The pool area really is great. Its big, clean, well laid out and fantastic fun. if you are going on a sun holiday you need a good pool and this is the best ive seen. The life guards are excellent. They are strict but not to the point that they stop kids having good fun. Get there early in the morning (8.30am) to book the best spots but you must stay. Placing towels on sun loungers and leaving is not allowed.
We were room only so did not eat too much in the hotel. When we did we snacked at the snack bars and this was pretty poor. Some people we met that were fully inclusive said that the food in the hotel restaurants was pretty good.
Expensive but good. Bar staff are friendly.
Best ive seen at a sun resort hotel but we found it more suited to adults than kids.
The room was of adequate size and clean. The shower was one of those in the bath showers but it was superb. I love a good shower and it was like standing under a waterfall. Plenty of towels. Kitchenette in the room was OK. Only complaint was that the air conditioning was a little noisy but not too loud that it kept anyone awake.
Facilities: Pool, shops, small games room, kids club, playground (death trap, but they usually are in continental Europe), pool side activities, check website
Close to the beach, bars, restaurants, shops etc (eat in Ciao Bella Italian Restaurant, its fab)
Great Hotel and if this place is on your maybe list just choose it. There may be some small things that annoy but all the good bits are here to enjoy.
Would we stay at this hotel again..... Yes
Would we recommend it..... yes
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sol by Melia present Sol Príncipe Hotel, is located in Torremolinos (Malaga) right on the beachfront with direct access to the promenade, to the beautiful Playamar Beach and numerous bars (typical restaurants on the sand) specialized in "fried fish." 27,000 m2 of facilities make Sol Principe a spectacular hotel with day and night activities for children and adults; ideal for family vacations. The rooms of different categories with magnificent views of the sea or to the Spectacular Caribbean lagoon-style swimming pool surrounded by exotic gardens. Air conditioning, LCD TV 43", Safe (*), Mini fridge, hairdryer and a large furnished terrace (table / chairs); 4 swimming pools for adults (1 indoor) and 1 for children, Solarium and hammocks; different dining spaces, beauty salon; Wireless internet access (free) throughout the hotel, fitness, live music. also has 14 meeting rooms with capacity for up to 750 people. (*). Adapted for disabled guests, private car park (*). (*) With charge ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Alpha Holidays Limited, Melia, Booking.com, LoveHolidays, Onthebeach, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Cancelon, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sol Principe by Melia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Principe Torremolinos
- Sol Principe Hotel
- Hotel Sol Principe
- Sol Principe By Melia Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol, Spain