“Review of sol principe”

Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Review of sol principe”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last ten years and would have to say it has always been very good, but on this occasion we stayed between the 16th June-26thjune2013 I have too say things have changed and not for the better, the shambles that is the affliction of the sunbeds has obviously been allowed to creep into this hotel. On our first two days we had breakfast and when to try and get aspot at the pool at 9.30am only to be faced with a sea of towels on beds but no people this continued for three days at which time we complained I was told that they were dealing with the problem, there solution was to bring in more beds the next day which had te opposite effect and only encouraged more people to go down even earlier Please take note hotel management! The food has also went down hill and whilst I am not a fussy eater the repetition was really bad in fact veal was on the menu every night in some shape or form. Also entertainment really poor and when we asked at reception for directions to bus for Malaga we were told to go to the bus station no directions etc. I am sorry to say this will probably be our last vist to the once great sol principe after nearly a decade of visits

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Dear Robbiebhoy1961

Thank you very much for having your holidays for so long at Sol Príncipe.

First of all I want to apologize that you are so disappointed with the hotel this time.
I am very sorry that during your stay you experience so many flaws in our hotel and in the work of our staff. All your comments and suggestions are taken into account by me and by all our managing staff in different departments to improve all aspects.

We have a system with our sunbeds, and we think is the fairest way with all our customers. We will keep trying.

Anyway we thank you for your critical review which will help to improve our service at the hotel in different departments.

We take note about your comments about the buffet. As you can see, after the changes we have made, this service is highly valuated for our customers.

We still hope that you will return to our hotel and the next time you will not be disappointed and as we have the opportunity to renew your confidence

Sincerely

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

The hotel offers all for young and old, Plenty of room for swimming and relaxing. The hotel very clean and the staff are very friendly. The food is a little disappointing after afirst week same menu for the following week, some times the food undercooked..need to be careful. Stayed on floor 8 which had a good view and away from the traffic. Would I stay again here? The answer is yes.
Overall good value for money. Breakfast the best meal of the day..only down side hated paying for mineral water each night at €2 a bottle. The reception staff were very helpful with hiring wheelchair for my friends..plus the company were as equally helpful during the hire.

Room Tip: Go higher and get lovely views over the beach or swimming pools
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank raymondmccaw
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 30 June 2013
Hello crunchieDublin

First of all thank you for have chosen our hotel for your holidays. We are pleased that the hotel, your room on the 8th floor and our staff equaled your expectations.
Your positive and optimistic comments show that you enjoyed your stay and received positive emotions from your holidays. We take note of your opinion about our restaurant and our meal and of course we will try to do our best to improve this aspect for your next time in our hotel.
Yours sincerely,
José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
Bandon, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

We stayed here earlier this week (June 2013) with our young boys. This hotel is not cheap but it does provide good value for your money.

Reception:
There is a lot of complaints on trip advisor regarding reception at this hotel and our experience was mixed. There was no queue at the desk when we arrived and it still took 20 minutes to get sorted. That said they we found them quite helpful and friendly with one BIG exception. The day before we left we asked at reception if we could book a taxi for the next morning to take us to the airport. They said no but gave us two options 1. ring for a taxi in the morning (only takes 5 mins) or 2. get the bus from the road outside the hotel entrance. We opted for option 2 and was told that we could get the airport bus across the road at 8.30am. The next morning as we were checking out we asked again about the bus and was told that the bus was a 15-20 minute walk from the hotel and a map was provided showing the location. Having been given two different bits of info regarding the bus I went back to the desk and asked another person there which was correct. The third person seemed more sure and said that the bus passes the hotel entrance on the other side of the road at 8.30am but does not stop but may do if waved down. Anyway by 8.40 I waved down a taxi and as we were driving off the bus passed on the opposite side of the road to what we had been told.
If the hotel management read this PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make sure your staff are giving correct and consistent information. It is the small details like this that give a great hotel like yours 4/5 instead of 5/5.

Room:
We took a family room with the pool view in the older part of the hotel which was more 3 star than 4 star but it was clean and adequate for our needs. The balcony was big enough for two people to sit out on and overlooked the entertainment stage which we found handy when the boys were tired and went to bed early.

Pool:
Magnificent. The pool area really is great. Its big, clean, well laid out and fantastic fun. if you are going on a sun holiday you need a good pool and this is the best ive seen. The life guards are excellent. They are strict but not to the point that they stop kids having good fun. Get there early in the morning (8.30am) to book the best spots but you must stay. Placing towels on sun loungers and leaving is not allowed.

Food:
We were room only so did not eat too much in the hotel. When we did we snacked at the snack bars and this was pretty poor. Some people we met that were fully inclusive said that the food in the hotel restaurants was pretty good.

Drink:
Expensive but good. Bar staff are friendly.

Entertainment:
Best ive seen at a sun resort hotel but we found it more suited to adults than kids.

Sleep:
The room was of adequate size and clean. The shower was one of those in the bath showers but it was superb. I love a good shower and it was like standing under a waterfall. Plenty of towels. Kitchenette in the room was OK. Only complaint was that the air conditioning was a little noisy but not too loud that it kept anyone awake.

Facilities: Pool, shops, small games room, kids club, playground (death trap, but they usually are in continental Europe), pool side activities, check website

Location:
Close to the beach, bars, restaurants, shops etc (eat in Ciao Bella Italian Restaurant, its fab)

General comment:
Great Hotel and if this place is on your maybe list just choose it. There may be some small things that annoy but all the good bits are here to enjoy.

Would we stay at this hotel again..... Yes
Would we recommend it..... yes

Enjoy!!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank imalways
Dear imalways,

My name is Jose Fermín Gómez. I am the General manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
Thank you very much for your great and detailed comments about our hotel and staff. I am very glad you enjoyed your staying in the hotel and received a lot of positive emotions. I think that all travelers will be interested to read your very informative review. It is a pity that you did not have food in our hotel, because our restaurant chefs are real professionals. We have very good meal and
usually prepare tradicional and typical spanish dishes.

I am so glad that you liked so much your room and really enjoyed all the benefits and of course our fantastic lagoon style pool.
We apologize for our staff at the front desk gave you the wrong information and confused you. We will give them your review to study to avoid similar mistakes in the future.
Hope to see you at the hotel very soon.

Yours sincerely.
José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
Barnsley, South Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2013

Can only agree with most comments about this hotel. Exceptionally clean, good food with a wide variety both at breakfast and evening meal and hot. Check-in was swift and efficient and even though we arrived at 12.00pm our room was ready for us so it was a quick change into shorts and t=shirts for a nice stroll along the promenade to Benalmedena harbour - takes about 45mins,
This hotel is at the quieter end of Torremolinos which we prefered but you are only about 10mins to center and upto the square (by the steps but there is a lift). The beach is like the rest ot Torremolinos, very clean. It was only 8euros for 2 sunbeds (with a thick matress on) and parasol and was only busy on Sunday when all the locals came to the beach, but still not too busy.
Happy hour at the hotel was great for when you've just come off the beach a couple of nice cocktails was just perfect.
Just one little gripe and this is the same at any hotel = towels on sunbeds!! There were plenty of beds but the ones with parasols were always reserved, people leaving towels on and not using them until afternoon - how selfish. But as I say, an excellent holiday in an excellent hotel

1 Thank jools2702
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 29 June 2013
Hello,
My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
Thank you very much for having written us such nice comments about your vacation and our hotel. We are very pleased that you liked the city of Torremolinos, the neighbourhood and beach Playamar next to our hotel.
In accordance with your comments about sunbeds, as you know the hotel has a policy. We have our pool staff helps with the distribution of sunbeds to avoid any disagreeable issue.
Thank you for your review again. The hotel staff and I will hope to see you soon in Sol Principe Hotel.
Sincerely , José Fermín Gómez. General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
Bangor, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

I have just returned to the UK after spending two weeks staying at the Sol P. This hotel is big very very big. Three tower blocks and an apartment block with two swimming pools. It should be said that the larger of the two pools is more like a lagoon than a pool.

I stayed away from the lagoon as it is a big favourite with kids.

The foyer is large and manned day and night by very professional and friendly staff. The bedrooms are clean and smart if a little on the small side. They do have a mini fridge which is great for your drinks. The bathroom was well fitted out with a hairdryer and good shower.

If you have a money card which is the best way to carry your cash, then leave the hotel via the foyer and exit the car park. As you leave the car park turn left and you have a BBVA bank with an internal ATM. A little further up the road is a Caja Mar bank with an ATM which automatically detects English money cards and from then on everything is in English and it auto gives you Euros. If you use Sterling you will pay a fee each time so go for Euros.

Dont buy any drinks on the Paseo, use the little supermarket by these banks and you will find everything is a lot cheaper.

There is a large stylish looking bar in the hotel but I was charged 17 Euros for a Jack D and coke.

The entertainment is by the lagoon and changes each night, I found the Flamenco very interesting but as this hotel caters for large amounts of Spanish people other programmes are all in Spanish.

The Restaurant is something else, the largest I have ever seen with cold counters hot counters fruit counters quite amazing really. However I have to say I only opted for the breakfast, which was the best I have ever had. Sausage, bacon, fried eggs, mashed egg, tomatoes, Toasted ham sandwich, Mushrooms and beans. There is also a cold meat counter for the more European minded. The fruit counter consisted of every type of fruit you could imagine. I have to add I did not participate of everything at once, but I am 8 pounds heavier.

The only downside to this lovely hotel is the fact it has only small sunbathing areas and many guests get up in the early morning to place towels on the loungers. They are not German as well. The hotel tried to get around this by chaining the loungers together until 9am.

The hotel is in a good spot right across the road from the beach with some nice restaurants at hand.

All in all a very good hotel, with lifts that always seem to be there when you want them.

Really enjoyed it.

Hello tpm45
We thank you for your nice review of our hotel and your vacation. I am so glad that you have chosen our hotel for your holiday, and we justified your confidence and I am glad that you were able to enjoy all the facilities and benefits,
Very pleased to read your positive feedback, and not only to me but also to our future guests.
Thank you for your review again. I would like to see you again in Sol Principe .
Sincerely
José Fermín Gómez, General manager Sol Principe.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2013

Had a wonderful time at this hotel. Everything you would want in a hotel. The most impressive thing was they had a good system for the sunbeds. They were chained up until 9 in the morning and when unchained there was still plenty for everyone. If you were not at you sunbed a note left and if you did not return within that hour your towels were taken off the bed such a fair system. Was great not getting up at the crack of dawn to get a bed.

Room was cleaned everyday, breakfast great choice (only went for bed and breakfast) check in was quick and efficient.

All in all had a great time and would definitely visit again.

Hello Weemo 16,

Thank you for post your good opinion about our hotel on Trip Advisor. We like that you appreciate our sunbeds system. For us it is so important to know guest’s feedback about our service.

We will hope to see you very soon at Sol Prínicpe

Kind regards

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel.
scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2013

well if you read my reports on hotels in the same area you will see what I have had to say in the past , having stayed in some sister hotels of this one a 5 min walk from this one , What a great find , food fantastic AND HOT loads of choices and what a great sight to see that the lady's had taken the time to dress for dinner and very few shorts that look bad and out of place on some men with bad dress sense, and even being on holiday what a great sight to see , well done to them ,, , This was a great all round family hotel , check in was fast and they gave us a dinner on our last night as we missed our first one , a lesson that there sister hotel could learn from , this was my first time hear and a massive pat on the back to all the staff, it was clean , large and very well run

Room Tip: I did ask for a room that got the sun , we never got that , and I did ask for a room that had a show...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank tws137
Dear tws 137,

It is a really good pleasure for us to know that you enjoy your holidays in our hotel.
Thank you very much for your lovely comments about our food, and choice

We will hope to see you in your next visit to Costa del Sol

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel.