Great pool, not freezing cold. Kids pool has a couple of small slides
Sun loungers. Not a problem getting as long as you were there before 9.30-10 AM
Entertainment. I don't necessary like hotel or cruise shows, but the shows here were not bad. Magicians were actually pretty good. Peter Pan and Lion King shows gave the kids an opportunity to be part of the show, which I think is great.
Breakfast- not been too many hotels in Europe where there is a wider choice.
Location- close to airport, across the beach
Cleanliness : Room and public areas were very clean
Supermarket 50 meters from hotel (at the back) with normal prices
Bed - simply great
Shops on site - didn't seem to be rip-off merchants, very reasonable to get toys etc.
Air conditioning. Only had to switch on a few hours in the evening. Rooms didn't get hot even though it was fantastic summer weather.
Areas that could be improved, but were still very acceptable
We were in the old apartments. Great size for the three of us, but they did look a bit tired. Could do with some freshening up. On the plus side, great view of pool, so you could see when you needed to get out to get a sun bed :)
Bar service during the shows was very slow. The bar has a counter of probably 20 meters , but only 2 meters was used to serve. 3 Bartenders to serve a few hundred people.
Dinner buffet- whilst there was some variation, some dishes (60% or so) featured each and every night (14).
Kids clubs- really not a bad word to say, but my wee girl did complain that the staff only spoke Spanish to her. Clearly she wasn't the only non-Spanish speaking kid there. This may actually become a problem to get her back here.
Having to pay extra for a safe that a) didn't fit a laptop and b) beeped every 5 mins or so (even after batteries were replaced. Nice if you want to get some sleep. I protested I had to pay extra for safe, just to be told that every SOL Melia hotel charges extra for safe... Does that make it alright ?? ( 35 euro for 2 weeks btw)
Internet access : If you charge more than an internet service provider, it needs to be good. It wasn't. Either don't charge, or less, or get more bandwith.
Time it takes to check in. Thankfully I checked in when there was no queue ( which seems to be the norm). But still it took longer to check into the hotel than it takes to open a bank account or get a new passport. No idea why... Reception deals with 3 people at the same at most, and as with the pool bar only uses less than half of the reception desk...
The pool guards (SOS on their T-shirts) I spoke to when I had a little accident and needed a first aid kit, didn't speak a word of English. I repeated the words "first aid" about 4 times and still got blank looks. The fact my finger was bleeding didn't seem to help either. Scary if you have bigger problems in the pool than I did..
All in all would probably come back, I really liked the Flintstones theme, I had a great time. But my 4 yo daughter did tell me, yes she would come back to Spain, but I had to look for another hotel as she really didn't like the fact that "they all only speak Spanish to me ". That is a pity. I had kind of expected a small language barrier for her, but hoped she would get on with it and learn some Spanish. I was too optimistic.
Waive the (in my mind) stupid fee for the ancient small safes, get better internet , get some more variation with the food and you will get 5 stars next time.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sol by Melia present Sol Príncipe Hotel, is located in Torremolinos (Malaga) right on the beachfront with direct access to the promenade, to the beautiful Playamar Beach and numerous bars (typical restaurants on the sand) specialized in "fried fish." 27,000 m2 of facilities make Sol Principe a spectacular hotel with day and night activities for children and adults; ideal for family vacations. The rooms of different categories with magnificent views of the sea or to the Spectacular Caribbean lagoon-style swimming pool surrounded by exotic gardens. Air conditioning, LCD TV 43", Safe (*), Mini fridge, hairdryer and a large furnished terrace (table / chairs); 4 swimming pools for adults (1 indoor) and 1 for children, Solarium and hammocks; different dining spaces, beauty salon; Wireless internet access (free) throughout the hotel, fitness, live music. also has 14 meeting rooms with capacity for up to 750 people. (*). Adapted for disabled guests, private car park (*). (*) With charge ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Onthebeach, LoveHolidays, Melia, Booking.com, Expedia, HotelsClick, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Sol Principe by Melia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Principe Torremolinos
- Sol Principe Hotel
- Hotel Sol Principe
- Sol Principe By Melia Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol, Spain