“Good but not perfect”

Sol Principe by Melia
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Pros :
Great pool, not freezing cold. Kids pool has a couple of small slides
Sun loungers. Not a problem getting as long as you were there before 9.30-10 AM
Entertainment. I don't necessary like hotel or cruise shows, but the shows here were not bad. Magicians were actually pretty good. Peter Pan and Lion King shows gave the kids an opportunity to be part of the show, which I think is great.
Breakfast- not been too many hotels in Europe where there is a wider choice.
Location- close to airport, across the beach
Cleanliness : Room and public areas were very clean
Supermarket 50 meters from hotel (at the back) with normal prices
Bed - simply great
Shops on site - didn't seem to be rip-off merchants, very reasonable to get toys etc.
Air conditioning. Only had to switch on a few hours in the evening. Rooms didn't get hot even though it was fantastic summer weather.

Areas that could be improved, but were still very acceptable

We were in the old apartments. Great size for the three of us, but they did look a bit tired. Could do with some freshening up. On the plus side, great view of pool, so you could see when you needed to get out to get a sun bed :)
Bar service during the shows was very slow. The bar has a counter of probably 20 meters , but only 2 meters was used to serve. 3 Bartenders to serve a few hundred people.
Dinner buffet- whilst there was some variation, some dishes (60% or so) featured each and every night (14).
Kids clubs- really not a bad word to say, but my wee girl did complain that the staff only spoke Spanish to her. Clearly she wasn't the only non-Spanish speaking kid there. This may actually become a problem to get her back here.

Unacceptable:

Having to pay extra for a safe that a) didn't fit a laptop and b) beeped every 5 mins or so (even after batteries were replaced. Nice if you want to get some sleep. I protested I had to pay extra for safe, just to be told that every SOL Melia hotel charges extra for safe... Does that make it alright ?? ( 35 euro for 2 weeks btw)
Internet access : If you charge more than an internet service provider, it needs to be good. It wasn't. Either don't charge, or less, or get more bandwith.

Time it takes to check in. Thankfully I checked in when there was no queue ( which seems to be the norm). But still it took longer to check into the hotel than it takes to open a bank account or get a new passport. No idea why... Reception deals with 3 people at the same at most, and as with the pool bar only uses less than half of the reception desk...

The pool guards (SOS on their T-shirts) I spoke to when I had a little accident and needed a first aid kit, didn't speak a word of English. I repeated the words "first aid" about 4 times and still got blank looks. The fact my finger was bleeding didn't seem to help either. Scary if you have bigger problems in the pool than I did..

All in all would probably come back, I really liked the Flintstones theme, I had a great time. But my 4 yo daughter did tell me, yes she would come back to Spain, but I had to look for another hotel as she really didn't like the fact that "they all only speak Spanish to me ". That is a pity. I had kind of expected a small language barrier for her, but hoped she would get on with it and learn some Spanish. I was too optimistic.

Waive the (in my mind) stupid fee for the ancient small safes, get better internet , get some more variation with the food and you will get 5 stars next time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2013

Hello Happy_Harold
My name is José Fermín Gómez; I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
I would like to thank you very much for giving us your review and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for spend your holidays.

First of all I would like to apoligize that many aspects you have disappointed a little. We will do our best to improve the aspects such as safe, internet access or variation in the buffet.
What about the language; in the the front desk or mini club, we have staff who speaks very good English and some of them in perfection, because it is their native language.
All in all, our hotel is very good for families with children. and it is one of the best on the coast for familias.

Thank you very much for your review again, of course your opinion on all aspects will be taken into account. I hope that next time you will get more enjoyment out of your stay in the hotel. And you will conclude that the hotel is not just good but perfect.

Kind regards

Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Principe Hotel.

Reviewed 3 July 2013

The hotel is lovely, check in was easy but there was a lack of friendliness and helpless.we just got a key and she pointed in the direction of the lift. no information about meal times etc...
As we didn't take children we were looking forward to abit of peace however we were woken by children playing and shouting in the corridors early every morning which was loud and echoed.It might be an idea to put couples and families in separate parts of the hotel. I was looking forward to the adults only pool but that was full of kids most of the time too which i thought was unfair when there are amazing facilities for children in the family areas. Drinks expensive but we were out most of the time so wasn't a problem. location is excellent for the beach and bus stop to travel to the centre,Benalmadena,Marbella and Mijas all worth a visit. all in all had a lovely time but will go to an adults only hotel next time we holiday without ours.

• Stayed: June 2013
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2013

Dear dnoodle1
First of all, I want to thank you have written an opinion about your vacation.

Indeed our hotel is ideal for family holidays.
Besides our famous lagoon pool for all ages we have very nice children's pool. Besides miniclub for kids, our extensive entertainment program also has a lot of parts for children. So it fits ideal for a family holiday and in summertime, when all the children has vacation, comes many guests with children. It is true.
It is unfortunate that the hotel is not what you wanted and expected.
But for your information in low season not arrives so many guests with children. Maybe if you want to come in another season you will choose our hotel for your holidays on the Costa del Sol.
Thank you for your review again.

We are always happy to see you in our hotel.
Sincerely
José Fermín Gómez, General manager Sol Principe.

Reviewed 2 July 2013

just returned from a week ,excellent location 15 mins transfer from airport, central location and sea front too,with most rooms having seaview, average size room, with fridge, good aircon,tv,bath&shower and 2 keys which I always find an advantage.Excellent pool areas with loads of sunbeds that are continually stacked back up when being vacated ,did think the idea of getting a "don't reserve beds with towel when not being used" note stuck on bed is an EXCELLENT idea that should be adopted by more hotels nothing more annoying than wanting to spend a day pool side and no available beds cos others at the beach have them saved, top marks for that one, an adult only pool on front is a plus for those with no kids ,on the down side pool is out of bounds till 11 am which I found a bit late in the late June temperatures and bar doesn't open till that time either not even for water or soft drinks so if you have breakfast at 8 expect to go to vending machines as I was informed till 11 even for water which as A.Inc and not cheap I thought was not acceptable. Every where is kept lovely and clean and room service every day , no problems checking in although did see queues quite often ,There is a definite lack of staffs at the bars with long queues at times some of the staff lack personality too ,we were told to join the back of the queue for a bag of crisps because we had the " only 2 drinks at a time" rule needless to say my husband stood his ground and we got the bag of crisps but it isn't what you want to be doing on holiday same in restaurant as tables were often left uncleared when others were looking for a seats ,drinks are served at your table when you can catch the waiters attention so actually getting a drink with your meal was sometimes difficult ,breakfast was spot on ,something for everyone and the only meal where you can help yourself to drinks tea/coffee and fruit juices after breakfast they are locked off. Lunch time and evening meal food was the same each meal and everyday, tasted fine but not of the best quality and very very repetitive ,main variation was nice roast beef dinner on Sunday, snack bar offers chips pizza burgers,nuggets crisps everyday too.Entertainment team put their all into it with variations on all nights good choreography team ,and the kids (and adults) loved the life size flintstones didn't have kids with us but the kids there did seem to be well entertained, Hotel management need to loose the strict ,regimental atmosphere ,visitors are on holiday and want to be made to feel welcomed and relaxed.fab hotel building that has the potential for an excellent holiday with just a few adjustments .

2  Thank trace627

Dear trace627

First of all I want to thank you for have chosen our hotel for your stay, trusting us your holiday.
We read and studied thoroughly your feedback, which indicates that due to some aspects you were not able to relax and enjoy your stay at the hotel completely.
Actually our hotel is very big and has extensive territory, our famous incredible lagoon pool, the children pool, the down side pool, the extensive animation program for adults and children and of course the room has everything for recreation: a shower and bath, television, air conditioning, terrace, beautiful views… nice hotel location, the proximity to the airport, to the center of Torremolinos and Malaga, and it is located right on the beach front.
We have everything for a relaxing and pleasant time spending.And; of course, all our staff is always trying very hard to make our guests were satisfied.
I am very sorry that you are so disappointed with our meals in the restaurant and service in the coffee place.
Naturally we take into account all your dissatisfaction; we take into consideration all the details you describe in your detailed feedback.
We work hard to get better the quality and dish choices in the restaurant every day and be assured that we will think over the morning timetable of hotel coffee place.
All your comments and suggestion are taken into account and accepted, and we will try to improve all these aspects as best as possible for your next visit.
We hope to justify your confidence and see you at our hotel next time
José Fermín Gómez, General manager Sol Principe

Reviewed 1 July 2013

Recently back from our third visit in 4 years and the only reason for this review is that I always try to give an honest opinion. I think the food is outstanding at both Breakfast and Dinner and the other guests must agree judging by the amounts they sneak into their bags in the mornings to provide a free lunch. All nationalities are guilty, not just us English by the way. The rooms are clean and spacious with modern bathrooms and roomy balconies. Our room had a fridge (handy for cold drinks ) and a great view overlooking the pretty grounds and pool of the apartments next door and the paseo maritimo towards Belamadena. I have no complaints to make and would recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: We were on the seventh floor providing great views.
4  Thank wickosLeicestershire
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2013

Hello wickosLeicestershire,

On behalf of myself and all the staff of the Sol Príncipe, I would like to thank you for having chosen Sol Príncipe for so long.

It has been a great pleasure for us to host guests like you. We are proud to know that you felt very comfortable in our hotel and you enjoyed our services. We always work hard to meet guest expectations and it is a pleasure to know that in this occasion we have reached it again.

Thank you once again and we hope you come to visit us again soon.

Kind Regards,

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel.

Reviewed 30 June 2013

Just got back from a week all inc. Like other reviews have said good points and a few bad.
Food was lovely, breakfast def the best. Maybe two weeks might become repetitive.

A busy hotel and if I didn't have kids would not stop here , but kids love it and they are entertained.
There is peace and quiet at the front pool as kids are allowed in the pool but with adult supervision.
Nice beach and a lovely promanard.

Lots of different nationalities which is nice.
Overall we had a great week in a nice room,, we did get an upgrade thanks to a fantastic manager a lovely man who is great at his job and understands customer services. Yes we had a slow check in yes it's busy but remember the old saying you get what you pay for!!!!!!
And we really didn't pay all that much for a Lovely hotel in a great resort.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear Angela C

I read your review attentively. I am very glad that you had a wonderful stay at our hotel and you could enjoy the meal in our restaurant, our amazing pools and beach with a promenade.
And your children had a good time thanks to our well-organized extensive animation program and all that we have for a good time spending for children.
I accepted into account your comments and suggestions about the more varied menu in the restaurant. We will work on this aspect to improve the variety of the menu.
Thank you for your positive and inspirational comments. I and all our hotel staff every day try to have our guests have a memorable stay in the hotel and such comments help us in our work.
We hope that you will choose again our hotel for your following stay next time on the Costa del Sol.
We are always happy to see you again in your hotel Sol Principe

Kind regards
José Fermín Gómez, general manager Sol Príncipe hotel.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

Just spent 2weeks at this hotel.The hotel is very clean and all staff very friendly.Food is very good there is always something nice to eat.Breakfast very good aswell at evening meal.Water at 2.10 euros at evening meal a bit much.
Only used sunbeds a couple of times on the grassey area as towels had reserved beds by 8am.noticed some only had towels on till late afternoon.
Kids club is really great and this hotel would be ideal for anyone with children

2  Thank Moira B

Dear Moira B,

Thank you very much for enjoy your holidays with us and for find Sol Príncipe ideal for families.

We love your good comments about our friendly staff, clening and tasty food.

We take note about the rest of comments; we will study them, because for us guest´s feedbacks are so important to improve our service.

Thank you very much again; we are looking forward to see you in your next visit to Costa del Sol.

Kind regards,
José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Principe Hotel.

Reviewed 29 June 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times over the last ten years and would have to say it has always been very good, but on this occasion we stayed between the 16th June-26thjune2013 I have too say things have changed and not for the better, the shambles that is the affliction of the sunbeds has obviously been allowed to creep into this hotel. On our first two days we had breakfast and when to try and get aspot at the pool at 9.30am only to be faced with a sea of towels on beds but no people this continued for three days at which time we complained I was told that they were dealing with the problem, there solution was to bring in more beds the next day which had te opposite effect and only encouraged more people to go down even earlier Please take note hotel management! The food has also went down hill and whilst I am not a fussy eater the repetition was really bad in fact veal was on the menu every night in some shape or form. Also entertainment really poor and when we asked at reception for directions to bus for Malaga we were told to go to the bus station no directions etc. I am sorry to say this will probably be our last vist to the once great sol principe after nearly a decade of visits

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Robbiebhoy1961

Thank you very much for having your holidays for so long at Sol Príncipe.

First of all I want to apologize that you are so disappointed with the hotel this time.
I am very sorry that during your stay you experience so many flaws in our hotel and in the work of our staff. All your comments and suggestions are taken into account by me and by all our managing staff in different departments to improve all aspects.

We have a system with our sunbeds, and we think is the fairest way with all our customers. We will keep trying.

Anyway we thank you for your critical review which will help to improve our service at the hotel in different departments.

We take note about your comments about the buffet. As you can see, after the changes we have made, this service is highly valuated for our customers.

We still hope that you will return to our hotel and the next time you will not be disappointed and as we have the opportunity to renew your confidence

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel