“Excellent Family Hotel”

Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Durham, United Kingdom
“Excellent Family Hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

Returned on the 4th July from a week stay all inclusive. This hotel is excellent for families and would definitely return. Both childrens pools and lagoon style pools were excellent. Lots of activities on all day for both adults and kids. Lovely beach front location only about a 30 minute walk along the sea front into torremolinos centre with lots of shops and about 45 minute walk to the beautiful marina in Benalmadena. Food was excellent couldnt find anything to complain about and I am a fussy eater. Our room was on the 4th floor in the main building, there was plenty of room and we had 2 beds and a cot and the bathroom was nice and spacious. Everywhere is very clean and the maids do an excellent job thy are contantly on the go. The only things I could complain about was the time it takes at reception for check in and general enquiries, very slow and a constant queue. Also thought 20euros for wifi for 1 week was a bit steep and it wasnt very reliable. All in all a good holiday and hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Dear Claire S.

Thank you very much for trusting in Sol Príncipe to enjoy your holidays and thank you to writing us about it in your review.

I am very glad that all in all you liked your holiday so much; you enjoyed all the aspects that we have in our hotel for unforgettable, excellent holidays. That you with your family really enjoyed our magnificent children pool and our famous lagoon style pool, our food restaurant fantastic location for explore at your leisure.

Sorry If you waited at the recepction, we asre always workin in the way to speed up the proccess. We take note about you wifi comment.

I hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Sol Príncipe in the near future.
Best wishes

José Fermín Gómez. General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (405)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lincoln, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We have just returned from a week's holiday at the Sol Principe. Having read all the reviews, I went with high expectations and expected the experience to be close to paradise. Don't get me wrong.. the hotel was lovely, location superb, clean and the pool was just how it looks.. Crystal clear, blue and exotic. Any child's dream. However the main disappointing features were the food, drinks (cost and choice) and the bar staff.

Location:

Torremolinos is about 10 minutes from Malaga airport on the bus which was ideal. The hotel is right on the beach which was great when you're venturing out with beach towels, buckets, spades, water inflatables and a snorkel as well as the husband and a six year old child! There is also a really good supermarket straight across the road outside the main entrance of the hotel. We stocked up in here with water, wine and snacks as the cost and selection at the hotel wasn't great. Water was 2.10 euros for 330ml bottle (.49c for 2 litres at supermarket) Cocktails were 5.70 for 330ml glass -mainly consisted of ice though so dread to think how much liquid was acually in it. Coke 2.30 for 200ml (again 1.39 euros for 2 litres) Wine sparkling cava 4.66 euros at the supermarket exact same brand/bottle in hotel £18.50, so worth a visit.

Check In:

Queued up for a hour to check in but this was expected as I had read it on many other reviews before we went. This didn't bother us too much. Reception was cool and spacious and the staff here were helpful. The safety deposit box was 23 euros with 5 euros refunded when you return the key.

Room:

We had a room on the 10th floor with a sea view (a bonus because we didn't book one)
The room was small but we had only booked a double room for three of us so they had to sqeeze an extra bed in at the bottom of ours, so this didn't bother us too much either and was expected. The room was lovely and clean but we were in the new building so try to get a room here if you can.

Pool:

After a very speedy unpack we headed for the pool with our towels. It was just after lunch time and we managed to find three sunbeds relatively easily in a good location. The parasols were static ones though so if you want one of these you have to be up early to get one. After sorting out the sunbeds and watching my daughter enjoying the pool with her dad, I thought I'd go have a look at the poolside bar to get us a cocktail. The older generation of bar staff are very rude both in the restaurant and the pool side bar. I was unsure at first if they were busy or maybe was it a language barrier but no I think they are just rude. I asked for a frozen cocktail to be told NO NO NO! NO Frozen! I ordered two other cocktails and a coke and left. I went back a bit later and ordered some more drinks from a young guy and he was more than happy to chat in english and make frozen cocktails which basically consisted of crushed ice rather than cubes. I think the other guy just couldn't be bothered. The strength of alcohol in your drink depends on whose serving you too.

Food:

The food was relatively poor of both choice and quaility. The paella was great which it should be as it's spanish but everything else was edible but not good. I'm not a fussy eater and happy to try everything but everyday was a selection poor quaility burgers, hot dogs or chicken nuggets, always pasta, always pizza, always chips and fried fish of some sort (bream, bass, dog fish, squid) Always chicken, veal, salad and a paella. We've stayed in cheaper places serving much better food including venison, lobster and chinese themed cusine but there was nothing special about the food here. I expected it to be more in line with the four star status it advertises. Drinks in the restaurant are again limited. Wine, beer or soft drinks. Wine is only sold by the bottle or half bottle too. Water is also chargable at 2.10 per 330ml. The Staff again are rude. My husband asked for a Barcardi and coke to be told "No Mix!". I don't think these guys should be front of house within the tourist industry.

Entertainment:

The entertainment staff are great. Again the younger generation, willing to speak english and be friendly towards the children. We didn't use the kids club but I wouldn't hesistate to use it having seen how good the staff are. They really look after the children and know how to keep them in order. The mini disco was good although I think a bit late starting at 9.30pm and finishing at 10.00pm. The main entertainment started then. The magic act is good and the power dance people are good although some of the in house entertainment isn't very good. There also seemed to be a bit of a problem with chairs. All the kids pulled up a chair and sat at the front by the stage however if they left for any reason their chair would be swiftly taken, leaving them without a chair because there didn't seem enough to go around. Then parents started getting involved over the chair battles.

Check Out:

Swift enough although the guy serving us didn't utter one word the whole time. Just handed us our deposit box refund without so much as a goodbye.

On the whole of holiday was good but it's amazing how the little things like the staff can spoil things. The pool alone made the holiday worth it although don't think I would book again next year. I think I'll try somewhere new.

Room Tip: We e-mailed the hotel before we travelled to try secure a room higher up for a better view
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank JuliePaulMaySmith
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 21 July 2013
Hello JuliePaulMaySmith.

Dear Guest,
My name is José Fermín Gómez; I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
First of all thank you for giving us your much extended review.
I read it very carefully, and studied your comments about your expirience at Sol Príncipe, I would like to apologize if you didn´t enjoy your holidays at the hotel.

All your valuable information will be taken into account. I will share all your comments with the heads of the derpaments in order to improve our service.

The comments concerning a poor staff attitude from some of our bar team are certainly not the standards we normally achieve (as you will see from many other reviews). It is particularly dissapointing that we have not provided our normal standard of service to you.

Regarding the buffet comments, we have informed our kitchen staffs about it and we are also welcome to any suggestions you might have to better improve our service.
Hopefully give us a second chance in wich live up your expectations.

With respect,

José Fermín Gómez. General manager Sol Príncipe Hotel.
Armagh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

home on 10th july after a 10 night stay. we will definitely return in the future. great location very close to the beach. comfortable room, even with our daughters bed at the end of ours. very good selection of food in the restaurant, even with a 4yr old who can be picky about what she eats, it was great to see her eat, plenty of "normal" food and wide variety of fresh fruit and veg. Anyone on a diet such as slimming world would not be disappointed. the kids club was excellent and very well organised. the evening shows were also very enjoyable. the pool areas where well laid out with a pool at the restaurant end of the hotel which could have been used by those who didn't want to be included in the various activities and hub of the daily life of the hotel. the kids pool was good with slides. we spent a few days at this pool but then went to the lagoon pools for the remainder of our time. we found that we could enjoy more family time in these pools as there was plenty of room for us to swim, then we would take our daughter to the kids pool for fun on the slides. the staff all work really hard and are to be praised

Room Tip: we had asked for pool/sea view and we were not disappoited
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Dear, ruth p

My name is José Fermín Gómez; I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
First of all I would like to extend our appreciation for your inspiring and positive review and thanks for spend your holidays in Sol Principe. You can not imagine how we are pleased to read your nice review, which it helps us to work even better.

It's right when the travellers share their opinion about their holidays and the hotel they lived. It will be very interesting to read your comments for everybody and for our future guests.
I am very glad you enjoyed your room, the food in the restaurant, shows, activities, magnificent pools for adults and kids and of course all our hotel staff who did everything possible to do your stay in Sol Principe on the Costa del Sol unforgettable.

Thank you very much for your review again. I and the hotel staff will be so glad to see you and your family next time in Sol Principe
Your sincerely

Jose Fermín Gómez. General Manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel
Torremolinos
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Enjoyed our week in Sol Principe. Nice hotel... staff are lovely, food is ok.
Entertainment was mixed but we enjoyed it and our little girl (2) loved it.
The entertainment/kids club staff are fantastic and very friendly.
Drinks etc are expensive so be prepared for that.
Overall, would recommend to anyone looking for a good family hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 19 July 2013
Hello Ashleigh M,

Thank you so much for staying with us at Sol Príncipe Hotel and taking the time to share your experience. We’re super happy you and your family had such a good stay!

We take note your comments, we will study them, for us are so important, in order to improve every day.

Looking forward to see you soon

Kind regards,

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
Province of Seville, Spain
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

Good hotel if you have childeren we have stayed in this hotel many times. Service good , food dinner lots of choice. Beach is just across the street. Very busy in Juli. Try to get a room in the newer part of the hotel the rooms are cleaner and much better

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Danny S
Dear Danny L

Let me thank you for your comments in such a positive way.
Thank you very much for enjoying your holidays with us many times. I am very glad that you enjoyed all our services in all departments – restaurant, varied and extensive activities and entertainment for all our guests - from the smallest guests to adults.

I and all our hotel staff hope to see you again having another fantastic holiday with us.
Sincerely

José Fermín Gómez, general manager Sol Príncipe hotel.
n. ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

could not fault this hotel, excellent in all departments,
everywhere was very clean and tidy,
staff were very friendly and helpfull,
the family rooms with sea view are a must

the entermaintent and kids club staff were fantastic.

Room Tip: family rooms with sea view were great.
Dear aidan171

Thank you very much for giving us your lovely and enjoyable review, not only for me, but for all our hotel staff in all departments.
You can not even imagine how such comments like yours inspire us, elate us, and help us to work even better with more desire.
I would like so much to see you again in our hotel and we hope that you will choose our hotel for your next vacation.

Sincerely José Fermín Gómez, General manager Sol Príncipe.
Randalstown, N.Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

rooms were fantastic especially the family rooms with sea view at front of hotel,
very comfortable beds,
breakfast very good and plenty to choose from,
everything was very clean and tidy,
could not fault this hotel,
reception staff very helpfull,

the staff in charge of the kids club and entertainment were without doubt fantastic.

Room Tip: family room at the front with sea view is a must.
Hello Debra O,

Thank you for taking time to write a review and share your sincere and positive emotions from your vacation with us and with all who read this web page on the Internet
We are very pleased that the hotel you liked so much, that you were not wrong in choosing Sol Principe for your vacation . I am very pleased that you enjoyed your family room with sea view, food, kids club, entertainment, cleaning service, all our hotel staff in all departments who works hard every day for our guests have a memorable stay.
Thank you very much for your comments, I will hope to see you again in Sol Príncipe very soon.

Sincerely

José Fermín Gómez. General manager Sol Príncipe Hotel.