“sol principe old and new”
Review of Sol Principe

Sol Principe
Ranked #15 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Dublin, Ireland
“sol principe old and new”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

the sol principe going since 1997 had some marvellous times.the entertainment was excellent for families but alas time changes everything.there is no longer proper entertainment for teenagers and all you hear from them is the word boring.entertainment is now geared for young children ie. the flintstones.they have changed the pool area and the new pool area is beautiful but not practical.unless you are up early and waiting for pool attendant to unlock the beds it is very hard to get beds in proper areas.there are no ball games allowed in the pools.when there are no beds at apartment pools you are forced out to hotel pool.the hotel pool is still the same as always,very nice and beds are not chained.i went in july this time and it was very full and mostly Spanish.restaurant is very noisy and the food is just ok.the hotel is as good as ever with some cutbacks ie thinner towels and air conditioning turned off during the night.i also go in june and it is much better for me whose family is now raised.the price for the room and half board is quite reasonable and having been going there all these years ihave gotten to know most of the staff and find them very friendly and hepful.the principe is not what it was and is no longer good for teenagers it is now geared for young families,so please leave hotel pool for older patrons.this is an honest and unbiased view.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Jose Fermín G, General Manager at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Hello jorpor,

Thank you for taking time to write a review, and for having your holidays in our hotel for so long.
We love your fidelity and confidence in Sol Príncipe every year since 1997.
We take note about your tips and we really appreciate your opinion in order to help us to provide a better experience to our guests.
Regarding your comments about our sun beds policy, we do that in order to be fair with all our guests.
We hope to see you again in Sol Príncipe, for us it is so important to keep the trust of our customers.

Yours sincerely,
José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Principe Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (442)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 28 July 2013 via mobile

I have stayed in the Sol Principe about 10 times in my life. I've been going since I was a child with my parents and family, and in the past few years my boyfriend and I have gone back 3 times, the most recent time with two friends, and we would definitely go back again!

It is a clean, beautiful hotel. Rooms are nice (I've stayed in both apartments and hotel). We always go half board which means we get breakfast and lunch or dinner. The food is the best part for me, loads of variety and it tastes amazing. There is something for everyone. You can eat breakfast outside and overlook the beach.

They have a few bars, one would be more for a quieter, older taste while the other can be young and lively, again, something for everyone. They also run shows for entertainment at night which I always really love. They are very child orientated and when I was here as a child it was the best place ever. They try to include children in their shows at night and do performances like Aladdin and Peter Pan while also doing stuff more for adults like Grease and Mamma Mia. They sometimes do shows involving animals like reptile shows or bird shows which are very entertaining. You get opportunities to hold some of the animals after and get your photo taken.

I always find the hotel quite busy and it can be hard to find sun loungers past a certain point in the day. But they have some shops inside the hotel and a hairdressers to have a wander through. The second pool near the beach is alot quieter and you can find sun loungers there quite easily. The beach is right across the road too.

What I love about this hotel is that it is close to everything. All by taxi - Airport is about 10-15 minutes away, waterparks and amusement park is about 10 minutes away, crocodile park is 10 minutes away, main town is 5 minutes away. You can also walk to the town or walk up to Belmandena where the views are spectacular. Lovely walk along the water. Loads of shops and resteraunts as you walk down the promenade.

San Miguel street is a great place to go for shopping and even eating. We always go there st night and love it. You can also get a train/subway along that street and go to Plaza Mayor, about 3 minutes on the train. It leads you to a shopping village, also quite good. We asked in an Irish bar in San Miguel for directions who were very helpful. Lots of tattoo studios in San Miguel for those who are interested.

Overall, the area is great and so is the hotel. My only fault would be some of the staff can be a little rude sometimes! You can't paint them all with the one brush though, some are quite lovely!

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Jen23x
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Hello Jen23x.

My name is José Fermín Gómez; I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
Thank you for taking your valuable time to share your experience of your vacation on Tripadvisor.
Thank you for writing us such a pleasant, positive and inspire review. I am very pleased to know that you are visiting Sol Príncipe for so long.
I like to know that every time you visit our hotel, you really enjoy all our facilities, services and benefits we have, and not only this, but also the city and a great location of the hotel.

Thank you very much for your comments again. I hope to see you in our hotel very soon.

Kind regards
Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Just returned from a 9 night stay and can honestly say the hotel was fantastic, spotlessly clean throughout, food great we were all inclusive so plenty to choose from for our family never any queues for meals at any time, (not like any other hotels we have stayed).. Plenty for kids to do and great pools also. My one and only complaint was mini disco, my two kids would not join in as the majority was speaking in Spanish, (we are from Scotland). There was no indication when we booked on internet that the majority of holiday makers in hotel would be Spanish which I have nothing against Spaniards but unfortunately some were quite rude and on a number of occaisions think you are invisible and like to overtake you at bar. Overall hotel great but you're fellow Spaniards let you down.

1 Thank Elizabeth F
Reviewed 23 July 2013

I have just returned from a 12 night stay at this hotel and I would no recommend it to anyone the hotel is so clean and perfect looking but the barstaff and restaurant staff are so ignorant they ignore you when you are waiting to be served at the counter happy hr is a joke all the staff are so grumpy looking going round the place they should call it sad sour hour, the rooms are perfect the pool is perfect the reception is perfect all is good but for a hotel that expects guests to return they have just put me off coming back to stay there . We had a group of 25 staying in the hotel and we would not return !!

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank Cutche
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 25 July 2013
Hello Cutche.

My name is José Fermín Gómez. I am the general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel.

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. İ feel however, that it is a shame that you did not bring any this issue to my attention during your holiday. The management and the Guest Experience are around daily to handle any concerns and rectify any problems.

The comments concerning a poor staff attitude from some of our bar and restaurant team are certainly not the standards we normally achieve (as you will see from many other reviews). It is particularly dissapointing that we have not provided our normal standard of service to you.

I do not want to lose hope to have the privilege and the pleasure of welcoming you back again, and we will keep working hard in all aspects for our guest’s satisfactory and really enjoying Sol Principe hotel and vacation. Because our main objective is to offer the best service to all our guests, and reach your expectations about an enjoyable and unforgettable holiday.

Sincerely

Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 July 2013

Just got back from a HB weeks holiday in the Principle. Stayed in the family room with sea view. Super sized room with wrap around baloney. Very Clean through out.

Food in general was very good : There was a small section of the food service dedicated to fresh pizza making/ hot dogs and burgers/ pasta, fish fingers. This was available every day. Even though my little girl doesn’t like burgers hot dogs - the fresh pasta and pizza went down a treat.” good thinking to the chef" as for the main food it was really good selection everyday. The salads and fruit selection were great.

The pools: Excellent all pools and pool area were clean. The sunbeds were clean- and I must say the pool management team kept on top of sun beds - there were always sunbeds available.

Reception Staff- very polite and prompt.

Only downside - we had a 7.30am flight so we arrived at the hotel midday: Our room wasn't available until 2pm. We were told if you had phoned and let them know - then your room would have been ready. Something to bear in mind next time.

Would I stay here again.. YES YES YES.

Room Tip: Always go for the sea view option - as these are located in the updated section - well worth the ext...
1 Thank Moira A
Hello Moira A.

My name is Jose Fermín Gómez; I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel. First of all I would like to thank you very much for giving us your review and thanks for having chosen Sol Príncipe for enjoy your holidays. We are very pleased that you liked our hotel and you really enjoyed your family room sea view, food, and all our pools.

Considering your comments about your registration, I would like to tell you that check in time is carried out from 14:00h onwards in our hotel, although, we always try to work as fast as possible for the convenience of our guests.
We would like to see you again in our hotel soon.
Sincerely José Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe.
Kilkenny, Ireland
Reviewed 20 July 2013

we went to this hotel for 12 days with a group of 25, we stayed in a room on the third floor, it was peaceful for a week and a half in our room, but then a family moved in next door and it was then we realised how thin the walls were, we then had to listen to a crying child during the nights. Corridors were also loud for most of our stay. We were half board, and did enjoy the food, there was plenty of it, some of the staff were friendly in the restaurant, but the bar staff were rude and unpleasant, they seemed to think that a tip should be giving regardless to their bad attitude, the pool was excellent as were the fitness instructors, I did the Zumba, Salsa classes, Aqua Aerobics and the Spinning classes. The rooms were always cleaned brilliantly, I think Susanna was responsible for our room , there was always a smile from them and a hello. In general the hotel is very clean. The entertainment is good if you have small children, there is nothing for teenagers, there is a disco bar, but this is over run with young children even after half eleven, twelve. There should be an age limit past the hour of eleven. Overall it was a good holiday, but unfriendly bar staff wont encourage me to return again.

1 Thank CarolineAnn67
Hello CarolineAnn67.

Dear guest,

First of all, I would like to thank you having taken some of your valuable time to give us your review about your stay on Trip Advisor.

I have carefully read your comments about your rest in our hotel, what impressions the hotel left for you, what you liked and what made you disappointing. I am very sorry that you had such noisy neighbors, who a little disturbed you during your stay.

I am very glad that you liked and enjoyed our pools, entertainment, sports activity and all the benefits of your room (be sure I will pass your nice comments to Susanna, she will be very glad).

That is about the bar staff, first of all I want to apologize if you didn´t like experience. I will pass your discontent to the bar staff and also to the head staff of the bar to improve our service.

Thank you very much for your comments, I will hope to see you again in Sol Príncipe.

Best regards

Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed for the first two weeks of July. Its a big hotel with huge crowds. The reception area is airy and spotless in fairness. I'll review each bit separately for ease.
Pools: Lovely looking pools, very big but mayhem and unprotected. we stayed for two weeks and after paying over 2500euro i thought we'd at least be able to get a sunbed every day but at least half the time we couldn't even get a bed, thanks to towells being placed on them, never mind one in the shade for my one year old. on numerous occasions I tried to bring my baby to the baby pool but everytime there was big kids playing roughly in it, looked like young teenagers at time. once there was a fat tatooed man lying in it for the day smoking, all while the staff and life guards sit in the shade avoiding work. really really pi***d me off that they wouldn't do anything about it and as a result my child never got to use the BABY pool once.

Restaurant: the food is ok, you will not go hungry. there is a huge amount of food put on at every meal. again the problem is the lack of control by the staff. They aren't waiters, they're just there to clear your table as quick as possible, whether you're finished or not. There is absolutely no comfort. they get annoyed if you don't buy a drink form them. at breakfast I regularly Q'd five people deep for a slice of toast. The restaurant almost forces you to be ignorant and leave your manners at home, I am 6ft4in and I was daily elbowed and pushed by the crowd for food that would be replinished again in a few mins. We were on a half board basis but actually stopped eating dinner in the hotel after a few nights due to the rude mannerless staff and rough crowd. I repeat the food itself is fine and plenty full but you will not relax at dinner or breakfast.

Staff: not once in 14days were my wife or I asked how our trip was or if we could be helped in anyway. They will not make any effort to help or guide or recommend.the restaurant staff would almost take the fork out of your hand. they'd nearly give you the impression that they are doing you a favour by allowing you stay in their hotel.

Bar: happy hour is great, two for the price of one, but it's still probably 3 times more expensive than any bar 2 minutes away. and as my title shows, we were charged for a cup of ice because I wanted a cold fizzy drink in our room, my jaw hit the floor.

Rooms: clean enough, we payed an extra 110 euro to get a seaview room and it was worth it mainly because the room was extremely cramped with a cot. we had to climb over the bed to get from one side to the other when the cot was in the room so a good balcony was a necessity.

Overall: I would not return during high season if i got it for free. There is no comfort, the staff are rude and couldn't care if you're enjoying yourself. The pools are overcrowded and dangerous (I didn't notice at first but my wife pointed out how many young kids had their limbs in casts). The rooms are small and the walls are paper thin.

you won't relax in this hotel.

3 Thank rugrig
Hello rugrig,

Thank you to write such a long review about your experience in Sol Príncipe.
We take note about the items regarding our facilities and service and will study every one of your comments in order to check them. We will learn over them.

Thank you again four your review. We hope to see yo uagain in our hotel.

Kind regards