“Nothing works in the off-season: avoid.”
Review of Sol Principe

Sol Principe
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Belfast, United Kingdom
“Nothing works in the off-season: avoid.”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Just back from a weekend Bed and Breakfast in the Sol Principe in Torremolinos. On paper a well equipped and well positioned hotel. Nothing is thrown in though and in the off season nothing works. Wifi is €5 per day or €20 for a week. Safe in the room you have to pay for. The hotel is full of retired multinational all inclusive guests who get up early and then sit around playing whist between meals totally taking over the one open bar area. The food is awful. A brilliant selection for breakfast: fruit, cold cuts, sweet breads all good, but cold scrambled eggs, cold bland sausages, fatty bacon, sweaty mushrooms, baked tomatoes swimming in oil, black pudding cooked with the plastic wrapper still on, and steamed broccoli (?) On one evening we couldn't be bothered trying to find somewhere local to eat - as most of Torremolinos is shut in the winter - so we paid €18.50 per head for dinner plus €6.50 for a half bottle of wine. For what? The food was bland, tepid, boring and generally unappetising. I've had better food in a 2* all inclusive. If your tastebuds have given up on you this might be okay. Mine have not. I dread to think what this place is like full of families - the dining room has a tiled floor and seating for thousands: it must be a cacophany. Anyway, more about the hotel. There's a games room in the hotel with a dartboad at the wrong height, no ockey mat, and two darts. There's a pool table too. There's one bar, which is constantly full of old folks. They have a happy hour with 2 for 1 between 1730 and 1830, probably to get folk sloshed before the rubbish evening meal. There are a number of pools. Swimming was forbidden so they must be there for the look of them. There are video games, all out of order. The bedroom is okay. The bed (beds! we asked for a double, we got a twin) wasn't too uncomfortable, but I knocked my head/hands on the bedside lamps more times than I like. There is one power point available next to the bed with a drawing of something with a red line through it. Couldn't work out what exactly was forbidden. Plenty of hanging space and about 20 hangers. There's a small fridge which is good, and there's several English language channels on the small TV. Decor very dated. Door on to balcony draughty and noise of wind and rain magnified by the balcony railing. The bathroom is large and everything worked, cleanliness good, the shower was good. A design feature of the building is that the toilet bowl is set against a kink in the wall so that when sitting on the toilet you knock your knee into the angle of the wall. This occurs in every room according to the fire escape plan. Couldn't work out how to get the extractor fan to work. There are other hotels nearby where facilities work in winter and services are thrown in. Also scale of catering makes the food retain the personal touch. I would not recommend this hotel, it does nothing well.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank twogandts
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 16 February 2014
Hello twogandst,

Thank you for sending us your opinions, feedback and complaints regarding your stay with us. We deeply regret that we were not able to meet your expectations and we would like you to know that we will bear very closely in mind your opinions in order to improve our service.

I sincerely hope that we will have an opportunity to welcome you back again soon.

Sincerely
José Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (415)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2014

just had a week here 11th-18th jan 2014,had a great time food was great bottled beer wine ect with your meal (served to you), drinks were great + plentiful (I asked for a large Malibu + they gave me a PINT !) daytime entertainment was ok evening shows were great. there is a lovely heated indoor pool. This is a big hotel with 799 rooms + 1800 beds so it gets busy in high season, the hotel is just across the road to a huge beach with miles of beautiful promenade. A good tip we hired an electric buggy from the hotel so my wife could get out + about best thing ever. we met people who have been coming here for 20 years I think that says it all.So we will be going back

Room Tip: high up with sea view
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Tony P
Dear Tony P,

Thank you for your feedback posted on Trip Advisor and for having your holidays in Sol Príncipe.
We appreciate your lovely comments about our indoor pool which have been refurnished this year. Your words are so kind and having shared them with my colleagues I can assure you that they have given the entire team a great boost. They all join me in thanking you for sharing your appreciation with us.

Looking forward to welcoming you again here at Sol Príncipe

Sincerely

José Fermín Gómez, general manager Sol Príncipe hotel.
Reviewed 15 January 2014 via mobile

I rang the sol princepi the other day to confirm my booking for later this year and the girl I was talking to was very rude and hung up the phone on me I am a regular customer in this hotel and never spoke to any one like her it is a great hotel and the staff are nice.

Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
4 Thank Tina B
Dear Tina B,

My name is José Fermín Gómez; I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
First of all thank you for having your holidays at Sol Príncipe for so long.

As you know, your comments concerning a poor staff attitude from some of our reservations team are certainly not the standards we normally achieve It is particularly dissapointing that we have not provided our normal standard of service to such a guest like you.
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my apologies. Your family in Torremolinos are looking forward to see you again at Sol Príncipe.

Your sincerely,

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel.
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I have had two stays in this hotel under the auspices of The Seniors Travel organised through John Galligan Travel.My wife and I traveled In April 2013 with a free coach provided from the airport to the hotel.The hotel is situated at the sea front. There are two tower blocksat the front of the property with views of the beach from the bedroom balconys. The bedrooms are ideal with a safe, mini bar and kettle.The dining room is spacious with a variety of choices for breakfast and evening meals although at times queing (lines) may be necessary to endure, depending on occupancy. The beach is just across the road and with a side gate access to it.
(Don't forget the room key card as you will need it to use the side access to the hotel)
The room cleaning service(daily) is excellent, The staff are very friendly and the waiters and staff in the dining room are guest friendly.
There are many pleasant walks accessible from the hotel and Torremolinos itself is about a 10 minute walk away. The town, which is elevated, and the main shopping streets are sloping but there is a lift from the ground to the middle level which is a blessing for easier access. There are many old buildings to be seen as well open squares and a pletora of shops, stores, bars and cafes to suit all tastes. There are very good transport services to the adjacent Costa Coastal Resorts if required and also to Malaga which is also well worth a visit or two.
There are different swimming pools in the hotel with lounging chairs in plentiful supply and the beach is just across the road with long stretches of sand either for walking or just relaxing on A variety of free night-time entertainments is provided in the hotel which should assist with relaxation after the daytime activities.
For its size it is an excellent accommodation venue and the service at Reception in terms of checking in and/ out as well as for general information is excellent. I have no hesitiation is recommending it as an holiday location!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Coleman K
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 January 2014

We are independent Business Class Travellers. We usually book British Airways flight separate and Hotels separate. (We are ‘Melia Reward Card’ Holders)

We have stayed at SoL Principe 4 times. This time it was the 5x time. In Room 2608
the wash hand basin waste pipe in the Family Room bathroom was leaking. The inside of the door room 2608 is broken, This hotel is stuck in the past. Ancient rooms .

The family room was clean, the food Basic but very tasty. We went to the Sol Principe to Eat and sleep for 7 days, and do some (sport) running on the beach front. A day before leaving for London, I booked the breakfast FOR 2 PEOPLE for 7am. You are supposed to do this, so that they can open the Breakfast Room door for you to have a breakfast. We arrived at 7am and the breakfast room was locked. By 7.20am I got so angry and went to tell the Male receptionist.

When it was opened the young chef was rude to me when I asked for 2 baked eggs. The Management know us from previous visits. Yet, when previous days,I looked at a Manager to say ‘Buenos días’ as he walked towards me..and looked away and every day just ignored me/us.
Yet when a day later a load of ‘old Italian men and woman ‘in their 80’s -90’s arrived shouting and ‘going on’ in Italian language in the dining room, the staff and Manager spoke to them in Italian and treated them like royalty!.

The night before leaving people in the room next to us were shouting and chatting away. I phone the reception and asked to phone their room to ask if they could quieten down. By 12pm...we were still awake. Some Italian elderly people stood near the lift and instead of talking normally, kept shouting at each other... ‘Molto bello’...etc. I eventually opened the room door and shouted at them in Italian .. ‘Per favore, silenzio’ !! this did not help.

Why can hotels not kindly tell people when they check-in not to make noise at night, not to disturbed people trying to sleep.

Well, we both had about 2 hours sleep before getting up for 6am.On the day of leaving after a quick breakfast, I told the elderly reception man all that happened that night and that I would not be bringing some 300 +people from my Company for a conference there. So Principe have a Conference Centre in the basement. There are lots of other hotels offering Conference Facilities.

Room Tip: a room facing the front. any room with '08' at the end on higher floors.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank chmanagement10
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 24 December 2013

There were 3 of us: me, my wife and 1-year baby. Traveled at the end of September. We are from Estonia.

Check-in was fast (we arrived before 12). The room met our requests and expectations.
Restaurant food (lunch and dinner) was OK, but did not meet our expectations. Restaurant service - I did not see enough hospitality and communication with the customer, but service personnel works pretty fast, but anyway service and carrying plates are two different things. I could point out one restaurant waiter, who actually performed very good level of service (don't remember his name, he is tall, slim and with the glasses). I hope the manager will recognize him.

Some people are writing here about high prices for drinks in the hotel, but they appeared to be quite cheap (same like in our country).

Pool area is impressive. Location is super. The hotel is excellent for families, and hopefully we will come back there some day for another holiday.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Aubeterre-sur-Dronne, France
Reviewed 14 November 2013

lovely hotel nice bedrooms a bit small but you have a safe,mini fridge,3 beds fabuleuse view from the beache of our terrasse also 4 pools very big and every night a nice family show.Empressive buffet morning noon and night excellent service room cleaners every day . AMAZING. they can carry at least 8 plates at a time .

Room Tip: choose flour 4 amazing view of beach
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family