“had a great time”

Sol Principe by Melia
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 29 April 2014

we stayed here the first week in april and it was the first time in torrimollinos.reception very good on arrival and got our room very quickly.we were on the 10th floor,it had a great view.room was large enough,big bathroom and both very clean and kept clean,plenty hot water.meals were good,much the same as you get elsewhere so no complaints.we were AI and really pleased to see some international drinks on offer,smirrnoff vodka and diet coke!,very pleased.as it was early season the hotel was quiet but they had entertainment everynite,more than a lot of hotels ive stayed in at this time of year!all in all we would return to this hotel again if we came back here

Room Tip: get one with a pool view
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 April 2014

booked 2 stay here first week o the school holidays [well 6 days] 5th/11th april through jet2 first time with them.flight magic,extra legroom ,nae numtys, transfers fine,then tae the hotel..this place was huge but empty,WHY?, because it wiznae open fully yet,big lagoon POOLS closed, outside bar & food facillites closed,front POOL closed,they had signs to say pools were not clean,they should o had signs to say sunbeds were not clean to,[MANKY FRANKIE],if u go to the seafront pool beds check these beds oot, room wiz fine cleaned everyday,clean towels everyday &[ma wifes favorite], toilet roll everyday,... balcony glass? u could see over it,,, to a view of the sea front unbelivable views & thats the reason for the rating,wouldnt want to be here when full,wouldnt want to be at any other part of this hotel,the back of the hotel didnt look part of it.{glad we were not there],we were A.I.food was repetitive same stuff all the time no themed food nights,chicken,veal,pork,pizza,paella, o forgot swordfish L.O.L, i had chips in a roll... there was a snack bar in the corner [you will need to hunt fur it] check that oot...the bar staff were ok but they would see u coming & disappear, not just once all the time thats if they were there at all.. its as if they were instructed to dae it,[wouldnt wanted to have to buy ma drink here] very very expensive...we also had to go out & eat also to entertain the weans [15 & 20] not glad we took 1000 euro as its gone....all in all we shouldnt have been sold this hoilday by jet2 we could hav went elsewhere that wiz open for the price, with better things to do & a wee bit of life....in fact a lot less than jet2 £618 each...just goes to show u learn something new everyday....P.S.the day before we were leaving the entertainment team arrived cant comment on them as we never seen them....u couldnae make it up...

Room Tip: rooms to the sea front they sleep 4 big balcony excellant
2  Thank jimmyhillisa
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I went there for a week with my two daughters. On arrival at reception I found the staff not the friendliest. The hotel looked fabulous, so clean and it was very very busy. I had booked a family room with a pool view. I was a little shocked when we got to the room. It was clean but very very old fashioned. Tiles had chips all over them, it was very old and grotty. The sofas were not very clean. These rooms seriously need a revamp before I would ever recommend this hotel to anyone.
The entertainment at the hotel was excellent and the entertainment staff at the hotel were so friendly, no matter where you met them they were so bubbly and always said hello. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the reception staff, on most occasions I found them very unhelpful and rude.
The other thing I found really frustrating was the fact that the hotel was so busy but you could not even get a sandwich there for lunch!! Unless you were booked for full board you had to leave the hotel for food during the day, this was really annoying.
I paid 40 euro for Internet for two devices. That was fine but the service was shocking. I had to log in every 5 minutes, you could not get the service at most areas by the pool and could only get it in certain parts of the room.
I think some areas of this hotel were fantastic but a lot of the most important ones are seriously overlooked.

3  Thank Lorrie111
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2014

Dea r Lorrie111,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent stay with us on TripAdvisor. We appreciate that you liked our entertainment team.
We are sorry that you had some disappointing comments to make. Please rest assured we have taken all your points on board for immediate consideration as this was clearly not up to our usual standards.
The comments concerning a poor staff attitude from some of our recepcionists are certainly not the standards we normally achieve (as you will see from many other reviews). It is particularly dissapointing that we have not provided our normal standard of service to you.
We will do our best to improve these aspects for your next time in Sol Principe.

José Fermín Gómez. General manager Sol Príncipe Hotel

Reviewed 18 April 2014

Arrived late and was told we were in the block with 4 floors. It was a glorified prison. Tatty, cramped horrible rooms. Paid for a family room for 4 of us and it had twin beds in a "cell" and two tatty single sofa beds in a so called lounge. In the morning I complained and asked why I wasn't staying in the the main hotel Nd had been allocated the tatty block. I was told I could change rooms for €10 a night. The new family room was so much better, large, modern, clean and spacious. Huge balcony and huge bathroom. The food was OK. Nothing tasted yummy, just ok. My kids aged 11, 9 and 5 all said they wouldn't want to back to this hotel. I kind of agree with them.

Room Tip: New block. Definitely not in the 4 storey block as its old, dirty and dated.
3  Thank boo008
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2014

Dear boo008,

Thank you for having taken some of your valuable time to send us your comments I apologize if your experience in Sol Príncipe wasn’t satisfactory.

Do not doubt that we take very seriously all the comments and suggestions we receive.
We will be delighted to welcome you back and provide you our best to make your stay an amazing experience.

Best regards,

José Fermín Gómez. General manager Sol Príncipe Hotel

Reviewed 15 April 2014

Booked 4 nights here in April . The hotel was much better than I expected. Situated on the sea front about 10 minute walk to the old town. We upgraded our room for 12 euros so we had a corner room that gave us fabulous views of the sea....to die for. The hotel was clean and reception staff very helpful. There are several well maintained pools and towels to hire. We had no ktchen facilities, so I missed not having a kettle in the room. However, when i enquired at reception even the rooms with kitchens only have fridges and microwave. This seems to be standard in Sol hotels. The only downside was the charge for the internet 20 euros for one week and the glasses at breakfast were never clean. Food at breakfast was ok. Would recommend this hotel for families and those wanting to be away from the hustle and bustle but yet near enough to shops restaurants. We visited in April so the hotel wasn`t busy, I am not sure it would be my choice in the height of season. We ate twice at nearby restaurant Bistro Europa... Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room overlooking the sea.
2  Thank jacquio-9
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 April 2014

Dear jacquio-9,

Thank you very much for trusting in Sol Príncipe to enjoy your holidays .
We appreciate your kind words about your experience in our hotel; opinions such as yours help us to carry on working every day with enthusiasm and illusion.

We take note about your comments, we studied them.

We hope to see you again having another fantastic holiday with us.

Sincerely

José Fermín Gómez. General manager Sol Príncipe Hotel.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Its was our first family holiday, my step son had a great time and cant stop talking about returning next year. Lots for children to do inside and outside of the hotel. The hotel room was spacious, clean and catered for our needs. The room was cleaned and made every day. We ate twice in the buffet restaurant, there was plenty of choice and it tasted great. Wish we could of stayed longer.

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank Steven B
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2014

Dear Steven B,

We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your Sol Príncipe experience and thank you for your comments about our rooms and service.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

José Fermín Gómez. General manager Sol Príncipe Hotel.

Reviewed 14 April 2014

Hmmm, not sure where to start, very happy on one hand, pretty disappointed on the other. Whilst I'm not here to complain, I'm leaving this review so that others like me (2 adults, 2 young children) make an appropriate accommodation choice. The Initial impressions of the Sol Principe were very good. The lobby was elegant and very large and the furnishings of a high standard. We checked in with ease and the lady was very friendly. The disappointment only started when we were directed to our room. We were self catering and were directed to what is clearly the 'old block' (What must have been the original hotel I'm guessing before the new block(s) were developed) and were on the 4th floor. The room was rather strange, no real bedrooms, instead sliding doors to make the relevant divides, a new one on me for sure. The main living area also threw me as the kitchen (for want of a better word) was locked away in a cupboard! We called down and were told that we needed to request a kitchen in advance, hmm, self catering without the ability to self cater, again, a new one on me. Anyway, the kitchen was opened and it is what you would expect for a kitchen in a cupboard, most odd. There was no food prep area, no where to put the clean washing up and no where to put any food. This room could not be any less self catering if it tried. I understand that we are moving to a world of all inclusive (which is clearly what this hotel is geared for) but some of us don't want that, we want to eat breakfast and the occasional sandwich in our room and go off hunting for local authentic food the rest of the time! The rest of the hotel was mostly good, good outside spaces, a few shops, the entertainment was acceptable and the bar areas pretty decent too. Only had a few other issues... the main pools all had signs showing 'no swimming', only the indoor pool (very small) was in theory allowed. I asked and the man on reception said it was too cold at this time of year, really? Seemed ok to me and the rest of the other guests that eventually ignored the signs, the pool was actually very fine! The outside bars and outside stage were never open and my final point is the children's adventure area, it was never manned once and therefore the trampolines and other climbing equipment was off limits, rubbish, my 6 year old girl was very much looking forward to the 'Flintstones adventure playground', instead she got a swing and a very poor slide, not great! As I said, not here to complain, the holiday was great, the hotel just wasn't good for self catering and we were clearly too 'out of season' to enjoy what could have been some more good points to offset my bad!

1  Thank L U

Dear L U

My name is José Fermín Gómez, I am the General manager of Sol Principe Hotel. Many thanks for taking the time to leave a review of your visit to the hotel. I am very sorry to read that your experience did not live up to your expectations. We take note, about your comments.
Any kind of feedback is always gratefully received, as it assists me in monitoring the service we provide and helps me seek to find improvement wherever necessary.
I would like to inform you that during winter season we have open two pools, the indoor pool and Miramar pool in front of the restaurant with lifeguard service.

As well I would like to explain you that children entertaintment is available during the high season and bank holidays like you can see in our website.

I take note about the rest of your comments, don´t hesitate we will do our best to improve this aspects for your next visit.

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel.