“Disgusting hotel”

Sol Principe
Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
“Disgusting hotel”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

The hotel is disgusting food, terrible service, was shocking. Lasted one night there. How it can have any positive reviews I will never know. The room was dirty. Do not go there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Jonathon T
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 31 May 2014
Dear Jonathon T,
Thank you very much for your comments regarding your stay with us last year.
I am sorry if you didn´t like the experience at Sol Príncipe. We take note about your comments, to study them.

Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (407)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2014

The hotel has a great location. That's about all I have to say positive about it.
There were long queues at reception most of the time, and the receptionists never seemed in a hurry to help or get the queues down. On check-in I was told there was an extra charge for the room safe (which I haven't seen anywhere else in the world, even in very cheap places). This couldn't be charged to the room (why???) and had to be done in cash which made check in and check out doubly complicated. They have no only one iron available for their hundreds of guests, forcing you to use their laundry service. When using the "express" laundry service, which costs extra, and on paper guaranteed next day return, I was told "it will be back in a day, maybe two". For some of our party it took three.
The rooms weren't particularly clean - mine seemed to have a problem with ants even though it was nine floors up. The balcony door would not close, never mind lock, so I now have mosquito bites on my hands and feet.
Altogether a grim experience for the price. I've had better service in so-called "third world" countries in the middle of coups and civil wars.
It could be a great hotel - but you would need to start with new management and fire at least half the current staff.

• Stayed May 2014
5 Thank Neil_from_Wakefield
Dear Neil_from_Wakefield

My name is José Fermín Gómenz, I am the General Manager of Sol Principe Hotel.
First of all I would like to thank you for your opinion.
You can not imagine how much I am sorry to read that your experience in our hotel did not meet all your expectations.
I would like to apoligize if you didn't like our service. We will do our best to improve these aspects and provide the best service for your next time in Sol Principe.

Best regards from Torremolinos,
Jose Fermín Gómez, General Manager Sol Príncipe hotel.
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Myself and hey wife stayed here in Summer 2013 with our 1 1/2 year old daughter for her first sun holiday. The hotel staff seemed very unhappy and this reflected the manner in how they treated people. The receptionists were very dismissive. To cut a very long story short, the place itself is nice and this is the only positive thing I can say. I very rarely complain but while getting out of the pool after a swim with my 1 1/2 year old daughter on our first full day I sliced my foot on a piece of jagged metal that was precluding from a tile cover in the middle of the pool area and ended up needing 8 stitches. The only staff that I could say were fantastic (and I mean fantastic) were the life guards. I was bleeding heavily for 20 minutes before they eventually managed to stop the bleeding. I am a strong believer in taking things in my stride especially in these situations because sometimes genuine mistakes happen. I waited 1 1/2 hours for the hotel doctor to come to the pool to tell me that I needed to go straight to casualty. During this time my wife had to ask a member of staff to get someone from maintenance to fix the jagged metal to prevent someone else or a child from getting another bad injury. I lay with my foot in the air to stop the heavy bleeding and after being told not to move from the pool by the doctor and not to put pressure on my foot to prevent the bleeding a male hotel manager landed down and asked me if I would mind waiting in my room for an ambulance (which was on the fourth floor) as he felt it did not look good for the hotel? He was very ignorant and did not care about my well being. It was only thanks to three other kind guests (who we didn't know) that intervened & confronted him for even suggesting that I should move and not to be so inconsiderate that he left. My 1 1/2 year old was hysterical at this stage and I could not even comfort her! From the time the ambulance crew arrived, the medical staff/ treatment was second to none! It was fantastic and put the Health Service (HSE) in Ireland to shame. I went in the ambulance, attended the hospital, got a local anaesthetic with 8 stitches and within 2 hours of leaving the hotel I was in a taxi on the way back. The stitches were all in my heel so I could only walk on the ball of my foot or "tippy toe" for the remainder of the holiday & could not swim. I spend the remainder of the holiday hobbling around in pain. The night before our holiday ended my wife asked me if anyone from the hotel had bothered to see if was ok..... No was the answer. I then decided to call to reception to express my disappointment at how I had been treated by the hotel manager and my disappointment with how everything was handled (which is rare for me) and after speaking to a very hostile manager I was pretty much told if I had any issues to speak to their insurance company......I explained that I had no interest in money or claims and that it would have been nice for someone from the hotel to have contacted me within the following week to see if I was ok.....he was not interested. I was off work for five days after I returned home & after sending two polite emails indicating my disappointment; one directly to Melia hotel group and one to the Sol Principe I did not even receive an acknowledgement. ......maybe it is a lovely place to visit, maybe I was unlucky, one thing is for sure it certainly is not a nice place to be if something goes wrong. I'm glad it was me that got injured and not my 1 1/2 year old or some other child.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms add easier access the pool and hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
10 Thank Stanog
Boston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

Stopped here 3rd May for 7 nights. Very impressed with the hotel. This was the first time we had stopped here although we have stayed at several other Sol hotels. I booked this last September as it was on offer to Loyalty card members at an advantageous price. We had a family apartment with a kitchenette, so loads of space. We also booked the breakfast option. The food was excellent, even bottles of cava for breakfast so did indulge in a Bucks Fizz a couple of mornings. As the hotel is directly on the front we had breakfast overlooking the sea. We were very happy with the room, with a view over the free form pools, the maid service was first rate, plenty of clean towels every day, and cleaned and beds made up every day.The grounds are kept very tidy and always plenty of sun beds. As a gold loyalty member we were welcomed to Spain by the Quality Control manager. The first night room service delivered some fresh fruit and bottled water with a welcome from the manager, which was a nice touch. So if you are thinking about booking this hotel don't forget to sign up to the loyalty card. Thank you to Jose Fermín Gómez and all your staff for making it such a pleasant stay....regards alan heath

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
6 Thank alanslots
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 23 May 2014
Dear alanslots

Is an honor read comments like yours, where we can see the results of our job, happy customers identified with our staff and our product.
Thank you so much for giving us the chance to provide you once again our services and most of all to share your experience with potential future guests.
Your satisfaction is our goal, so read comments like yours makes us feel very happy.
Thank you again, We'll be waiting for you at Sol Principe in a near future.

Kind Regards.
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

were here start of april,half board.been here several times like the hotel but whats the problem with the female receptionists,obviously not happy ,very dismissive,on verge of being rude,need some courtesy skills.Had a small problem which was resolved by a guy named juan carlos who was absolutely brilliant who as not a receptionist,pity.might not return

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank neily0123
Dear neily0123,

First of all, I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for so long. Thank you for spend you time sharing your opinion about your experience at Sol Príncipe on tripadvisor.

We regret more than anything else that you felt that the attention you received from our reception staff was not adequate. All of our staff are recognized for providing impeccable service and for always taking care of guests requests in order to provide them with a perfect stay, so we apologize if you considered that in your case it was not entirely like this. I am glad to hear that your problem was solve for our Guest Experience Manager.

We are at your disposal for whatever you may need.

Sincerely

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

Just returned from a weekend stay at Sol Principe and I have to say it was one of the nicest hotels I have stayed in. Like most people I checked reviews before I went and some raised concerns about what would be available out of main season. I emailed the hotel to check and they confirmed everything with a prompt reply. When we arrived we were definitely more than impressed by the standard and cleanliness and the air of luxury it had. The room was fantastic. We were in the newer development on the sixth floor which overlooked the pool and sea. The pools were fabulous and there was a nice secluded pool near to the beach front which was nice if you wanted things a bit quieter. Staff were friendly and I couldn't fault the service. It is on the outskirts of the town however we found some great bars just a two minute walk away which were great for drinks and a dance into the early hours of the morning.I only wish we could have stayed longer! Would definitely recommend this hotel to others and I hope to return too. (We are in age bracket 32-46)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vixmay
Dear Vixmay,

We are filled with happiness knowing that your stay with us was enjoyable and services offered filled your expectations, for us, comments like yours are what motivate all del Sol Principe Team to give the best of ourselves, always working to provide quality.
We appreciate the intention and the time you took to share your experience at Sol Principe.
We will be waiting for you with open arms on your next visit to Torremolinos.

Kind Regards.
Padiham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

This hotel was excellent value for money, ideally situated on the sea front with, opposite the bus stop for transport to the resort centre. Rooms were delightful, staff were very friendly and food was delicious. What more could you want on holiday.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

5 Thank Dinkydootravel
Hello Dinkydootravel,

Thank you very much for sharinh your opinion on Trip Advisor. It was such a pleasure reading your comments. Without a doubt, feedback like yours encourages us to continue working hard so that our guests’ experiences at our hotels are enjoyable ones. I will share this comments with the staff, for sure they will be so happy for read it.

Your “ family” in Torremolinos, look forward to see you gaian.
Sincerely