“Fantastic hotel, highly recommend, super location”
Review of Sol Principe

Sol Principe
Ranked #13 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Dublin
“Fantastic hotel, highly recommend, super location”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

First time to the much heard principto sol and we had a fantastic holiday. We travelled with two young kids 1 and 3yrs and was out 1st time to go all inclusive in a package holiday scenario. Total value for money. Our room was in the old part of hotel and whilst very dated was clean. In saying that was had a great view over the lovely pool area. In terms of the food and restaurant, breakfast= fantastic!! My fav meal of the day. Everything on offer (to include cava champers) and all so fresh and delicious. Every morning we sat in the outside area of the restaurant (to front of hotel) with a stunning sea view. Our kids loved spotting the planes fly in and out (airport approx 10/15mins away). Lunch and dinners great selection of salads, rice, pasta, pizza, chips, various fish, forms of potatoe and differing meats. One night there was a chocolate fountain with all the trimmings, our LO loved it!! Drinks and snacks top drawer too. Fantastic position on promenade and about 10-15min walk to centre of torremelinos. The promenade is beautifully lined with palm trees. Twice we walked to benalmedena with buggies. A good hours walk which was lovely with the view on offer. Benalmedena port is beautiful place to see and aquarium was nice to visit with kids. 10e each when booked through hotel. Evening entertainment was very impressive. Would have like the kids disco to last a bit longer. Started at 9.15pm every night and ended about 9.50pm with nightly show starting at 10pm. But overall the enthusiasm of entertainers was great. Was slightly disappointing that 'playground area' with trampoline etc was not open. Pool area is beautiful. Although kids section very small area ;although very good. Didn't seen releative to the size of overall pool esp considering that adults need to supervise young kids near water. Would imagine in peak season it's very hard to get a lounger in this area. Speaking of loungers although there is signs saying people can't reserve this is defo not enforced. As we had young kids we were up at crack of dawn and even at 8am in early June tricky to get a lounger. My only negatives I thought the service at pool bar was very slow at times particularly in evening when show on. Whilst there seemed to be dozens of waiters in restaurant it was not the same in bar area unfortunately. My husband was drinking A premium spurt and coke one evening and whilst we knowingly had to pay for the spirit (discounted AI price, which was great) they were charging us for the coke which didn't make sense as we were AI and that it typically free. We really had to challenge the point to the bar manager which seemed crazy. Overall would return to this hotel and would recommend AI as super value for money (in June anyway) but not sure if I would like to stay here in peak season. As we were leaving you could feel it getting busier and ppl standing in entertainment area at night and q's starting to form in restaurant. But perhaps this is compensated with more staff..

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank ECAU
JuanCarlos_SP, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear ECAU,
Thank you very much for your lovely and detailed comments about our hotel and your stay here.
It is a pleasure for us to know that your stay in our hotel as pleasant as you indicate. Your comment makes us feel proud of the work done on a daily basis, with the only aim of satisfying the needs of our guest.
Hope to see you soon again in Sol Principe, Torremolinos!
Yours sincerely,
Juan Carlos Lloret. Guest Experience Manager Sol Príncipe Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (417)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Hale, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

You know how first impressions are important? Our check-in was an ominous sign of things to come. Slow. Slow. Slow. I actually made a note of the receptionist's name, thinking that front desk need more training or a more efficient front-desk system, but sadly, the slow service was characteristic of both front office and pool-side bar service.

That said, the pool at this hotel is fantastic. It's so good, that I still recommend staying at Sol Principe, but just be prepared for very, very long queues during check-in, check-out and also at the poolside bar.

If you are mentally prepared for those queues and lack of urgency from the hotel staff in those departments, you'll love the pool.

Seems like this is a hotel "that time forgot". Still themed in "the Flintstones" (had to explain who they were to my 6 and 4 y.o.) and perhaps their front desk system and bar point-of-sale are also relics from the 80's (as a possible explanation for the terribly slow service upon each transaction).

The evening entertainment is a bit kitsch, but my 6 y.o. daughter loved it and I reminisced about high school musicals and plays that didn't seem so embarrassing in light of the performances (lip sync) during our stay, which included a version of "Grease", which played songs out of sequence, but that was probably lost on anyone who hasn't watched the movie 20+ times. :-)

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Emufi
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 13 June 2014
Dear Emufi,
Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback regarding our hotel and your experience and impression here.
I apologize that you were disappointed with some points of your stay, specifically slow service at the front-desk and the same slow service at the pool-side bar. We will take notes about your comments and we will do all our best to improve them. Your insights, opinion and thoughts are important to us as we work to better our performance and provide a more satisfying guest experience in the future.
It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed our fantastic pools and your daughter loved the evening entertainment.
We appreciate very much the confidence placed in our hotel and the time dedicated to write your comments.
Yours sincerely,
Hastings, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2014

This was a great hotel, nice room, fantastic view of pool whuch was a superb pool. We thought it was all good. We'll definitely be returning. We loved 'Kennedy's' Irish bar with live music at night & 'Bananas beach bar for cocktails by day. Hire bikes you can ctcle all the way to Benalmedina harbour. Its lovely.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Low Cost Holidays

2 Thank Sharon W
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Hello Sharon W

We are so glad to hear we met all your expectations! Thank you so much for sharing your review with us!
We hope to see you soon!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 June 2014

the pool area is not suitable unless you got up at 7am to book a sun lounger, their are no lifeguards, the bar staff are a disgrace, when there are no people in the bar there are 3 of them the service is bad unless you tip them well.The food is not great twice I had to complain to the chef about undercooked chicken and meat all I got was Iam sorry. The hotel was spotless

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are sunny
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 7 June 2014
Dear Paddy D,

Thank you for taking the valuable time to post a review of Sol Príncipe. I do apologize if your experience in Sol Príncipe wasn’t satisfactory.

I would like to inform you that we have a lifeguard service every day from 10:00 o´clock in the morning.

Further, we would like to mention that all of our staff are known for providing impeccable service and for taking care of at all times guests requests so we apologize if in your case it perhaps was not like this.

We take note of the rest of your comments.

We hope to see you again very soon.
Best regards
Juan Carlos Lloret. Guest Experience Manager Hotel Sol Príncipe.
Torremolinos
Reviewed 6 June 2014

My family and I stayed in the hotel for 10 days in may/June. The family part of the hotel is old and needs updating however the space is good. The food is not 4 star standard but plenty on offer and pleasant enough.
The staff are all lovely in particular the flintstones kids club crew. Each member was fabulous, caring and gave my children a great time. In particular Victoria was amazing and Miguel an outstanding member of the team! If you go say hi from Jilly, Finn and Isabel!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

2 Thank Jilly S
Dear Jilly S,
First of all, we would like to thank you having taken some of your valuable time to give us your feedback about your stay on Trip Advisor. Sharing your opinion you will help us to improve our services.
We take note about all your comments, observations and suggestions; we will take into account to improve our service.

We look forward to see you again in Sol Príncipe in the near future.
Guest Experience Manager Sol Príncipe Hotel.
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The pool area is not suitable for the parents of young children, as there just isn't enough space!
The pool area, although large, is not designed to accommodate parents on sun loungers in the vicinity of the 1m 10 depth pool. As a parent it is imperative to be able to see your child in the water. Unfortunately, there just isn't enough room for all the parents by the pool. I had to sit on a plastic chair for 2 days watching my 7yr old son in the pool, while my parents could only find space by the 'adult' pool, a bit miffed as we were only there for 3 nights & had paid £700.
If you have children under 1m 50cm do not consider this hotel as you will not be able to sit (let alone) lie near each other, unless you get up before dawn to reserve sunloungers in the very limited space for parents......not what I expected to have to do at a 4* hotel.
The food is excellent
The pool area, for those without children is lovely, well maintained, beautiful gardens etc

Room Tip: The hotel is cleverly situated at a side angle so I think most rooms have a side sea view 1418 &...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rachel B
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 6 June 2014
Dear Rachel B,

Firstly we would like to thank you for your preference in selecting Sol Principe Hotel, as well as for the time you have taken to share your impressions on TripAdvisor.

I am so sorry for your inconvenience with sun loungers. It is a pity that you did not ask for help to our staff, because we have special person to control the distribution and using of sunbeds in the pool area all day long.

Thank you very much for your constructive comments about it, because your experience has a great value to us to improve this service.

We hope to welcome you again at Sol Principe Hotel and give us another chance to make your family holidays on the Costa del Sol wonderful and unforgettable.

Best regards,

Juan Carlos Lloret.
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 May 2014 via mobile

Where do I start,Me,my mum,my 5 year&6 month old stayed here for a week,Now when we arrived about 10pm we had left my little boys case on the coach we told reception to let us know as soon as the case arrived,the driver brought the case back the same night but we were not informed by the hotel until the following day so I was very angry by this,also we wete put in a tiny room with only 2 single beds&a cot obviously nowhere for my son to sleep but we were moved to a much more spacious room with a huge balcony.

The hotel&pool are spotlessly clean.

Towards the end of our stay the childrens pool was getting very busy so if you want a sunbed you need to go down at 6am to get one.

Food isnt great ive had better from 4 star hotels but Ive also had worse.

Great location&just across the promenade to the beach.

My son went to the kids club everyday,well what can I say apart from FANTASTIC the staff are excellent with the children&make it so much fun for them&my little boy loved it he was very sad to be leaving.

The day before we were leaving a school trip came to the hotel I found this very strange&they were all put in the rooms on our corridor&they were shouting&running about all night,I didnt think they should have beem put in that hotel&certainly not around familys.

Would I return Im not sure I have mixed feelings.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Adele A
Dear Adele A,

I would like to thank you very much for giving us your opinion about your experience in our hotel and also thanks for trusting us and having chosen Sol Príncipe for your family holidays.

I am so glad that you liked the great location and our entertainment for kids and enjoyed much.

I take note about your comments, we will study them, and we will do our best to improve these aspects, for your next visit.

Best regards from Torremolinos,

Juan Carlos Lloret.
Guest Experience Manager Sol Príncipe Hotel.