“Break cut short” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #15 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Bangor, United Kingdom
“Break cut short”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

Stayed here from 12th June till 14th June holiday was cut short to do death at home.
Have stayed here on many vacations and have to say from the checkin to dinning room to the bar the staff are so attentive and caring no problem to much food fantastic and plenty of veriaty of drinks.
I always use the Sol Melia internet web.to book as seem to get best price and loyalty points.
Any way I had to leave hotel early due to death of mum and the reception staff on duty could not do enough for me from getting taxi to trying to get me a refund for unused day,s even though it was not the hotels fault I was leaving,NOW THAT IS WHAT I CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE.
HOPE HOTEL MANAGEMENT ARE PROUD OF THE STAFF THEY HAVE AS THEY ARE A CREDIT TO HOTEL EVEN THOUGH I HAD LOST MY RECEIPT MY CARD WAS REFUNDED WHEN THE OFFICE OPENED.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH TO ALL YOUR STAFF JOHN MCHALLAM room2046

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Manbear1950
Jose Fermín G, Director General at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Manbear1950,

I am deeply saddened by the loss of your mum.
Thank you very much for your lovely comments about the hotel and the staff.
I hope to see you very soon at Sol Príncipe.

Best regards.

José Fermín Gómez, general manager of Sol Príncipe Hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband, son and I have been going to this hotel for 20+ years. We recently celebrated two special family occasions there in a place where we have so many happy memories. The heart of this hotel beats because of the wonderful work of all the staff. The food is of a great standard with many choices. The shows in the evening are very entertaining. The children love the mini disco and it is a very happy place. Eating breakfast or dinner on the terrace with a view of the med is so special. Thank you all for the fantastic memories and of course we will be back.
Ruth, Bob and Robert, Dublin, Ireland.

Room Tip: Sea views from family rooms are beautiful. It is worth upgrading to a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank Ruth S
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 21 June 2014
Dear Ruth S,

On behalf of the Sol Principe team, I would like to thank you for choosing us during so many years, your visit to Torremolinos as well as for posting such a wonderful remark regarding your experience with us. We are very glad to know that you have enjoyed absolutely everything of our hotel , that you trust your holidays, your rest, your special occasions and share with us your emotions.

We will be waiting for you as soon as you decide to come for your next visit here, your Spanish Home!!!

Best regards,
Riga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here for a week in mid-June and can recommend this hotel to others with no doubt. The pool area is simply amazing, buffet catering is good both in terms of selection and quality. Rooms are not big, but you have what you need. Everything is thought through in terms of the facilities as well, also for families with kids. Decent entertainment in the evenings. If I need to point out drawbacks, for me it would be inability to get tea or coffee at the restaurant during dinner service. Taken into account that they serve cakes for dessert it is really weird you can't get the warm drinks, even for a fee. Maybe in Spain they don't drink tea/coffee in the evenings, but in the rest of the world we definitely do! Another spoiler for me was the beeping of the deposit box which drove me crazy at nights... It was beeping every third minute, roughly... both when open and when closed. It gave up a bit, but not fully only ehen I pulled the key out. The beeping was then not so often, at least. Seriously, something should be done about that! And at last, in terms of transport to the centre of Torremolinos and to Malaga, the staff couldn't provide me with the timetable for the local bus, so I didn't manage to figure out when it's going, so if you have to walk to the train station (the closest is La Colina), be prepared to walk for 40 min-s. Some reviews state 20, but proved to be wrong as I used 40 and was almost running. The location in terms of the beach is good, but you need to go in circke as thete is no direct gateway to the promenade and beach from the side of the hotel facing the sea.

• Stayed June 2014
Dear nordgirl,

Firstly, we appreciate your time making this review about your stay with us.

We are very glad that you enjoyed so many services and facilities of our hotel such as our pool area, selection and quality of buffet, your room and entertainment we have.

Please, be sure that we take in consideration your opinion .
About beeping of the deposit box, If you had notify to our staff, We will had repaired in the moment.
I would like to thank you for your comments one more time and I am very glad that all in all you liked our hotel and recommend it to visit to others. I and all our staff hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2014

I stayed at the hotel with my partner for the last week in May and found it to be a very pleasant experience overall.

We stayed on a half board basis and had dinner there 5 of the 7 nights we stayed. There was a great buffet selection each night and variety between the different days. The other two days we had lunch in the hotel and again were quite happy with the food on offer. However, I couldn't see any noticeable difference between the lunches and dinners so would not recommend staying on a full board basis. There is a supermarket right across the road which is great value and very convenient if you are willing to make your own lunch. The waiting staff did not seem to have any English or even attempt to speak it when just trying to order drinks or ask the prices but they were very efficient in taking away dirty plates.

We were given a room in the newer part of the hotel and it was perfect. Nothing particularly luxurious but had everything we needed. We even had a balcony with a beautiful view over the sea. I must mention the housekeeping staff here, they were fantastic. The room was never cleaned too early if you wanted to have a sleep in (about 11am) and was always in immaculate condition when we returned. They would also greet you with a smile and say hello any time you met them in the hallway. You can hire a safe for €18 a week plus €5 deposit, which my partner and I did. One day we absent-mindedly left it open but when we returned there was nothing missing, felt very safe.

The pools were all lovely and always kept very clean. However the loungers were rather limited in supply. I like to wake up early and read by the pool for a while before breakfast. Each morning I would be poolside by about 8:15am and already there would be very few loungers left which is quite annoying considering the door to the adult pool was only opened at 8am. Of course people would just leave towels on the loungers and leave again for a few hours so you would have the pool area to yourself at that time if you could find a lounger. Considering I was staying just before the peak season I can only imagine how difficult it would be to find space near the pool in July or August.

One slightly negative aspect of the stay was our few interactions with the reception staff. When checking in we were given our room key, our card for our meals and told where to find the lift. We were given no other information whatsoever! I was rather disappointed with this and normally prefer to voice my concerns to management directly rather than publicise it but a manager could not be found in order to speak to them. Once we found our room we realised we had to rent a key for the safe from the reception desk (we were never offered this) so had to go back down to reception again and queue in order to get the key. The next morning we went to reception again and asked about local activities. The girl we asked was new and the other man at the desk seemed disinterested when she relayed our questions to him so neither offered any suggestions. Luckily I had looked up Torremolinos before travelling so just asked them for a map of the area, which they gave us. They then tried convince us we could not walk to the local market (held on Thursdays) which is located near the crocodile sanctuary and the water park. We decided against their advice and found it to be a lovely 30 minute walk through the city. However, some of the journey uphill so if you were travelling with young children and prams then it would be advisable not to walk.

Considering the overall nature of the stay I do not want to end on a negative note so I'll finish by saying that it's a beautiful hotel located right on the beach which I would definitely consider returning to but would not see it as my only option if I were to ever return to Torremolinos.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Michael H
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 17 June 2014
Hello Michael H,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sol Príncipe. We appreciate your good comments about our buffet selection, rooms and pools.
I am sorry for any inconvenience caused by service of our front desk; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At Sol Príncipe we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that our Front Office Manager has enhanced training to Front Desk staff to improve their guest-oriented service awareness to ensure their performance meets our guests' expectation and the international standard.
we appreciate your valuable comments and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

We stayed here recently. Really nice hotel. Nice shops onsite that are not too over priced. We stayed in the apartments (old principto apts) they are small enough but done the job (2 and a tot but wouldn't really suit anymore). Cleaners do a great job on apartments and all around the complex. Cleaners constantly on the go. Pool area power washed every night.
Needed a doctor one of the nights and reception were great had one called and brought up straight away.
Pool area great for the kids. Loads of space. Loads of beds and people moving them about to chase the sun.
Kids club was great too. Staff so friendly and unbelievable workers. Always on site
Would highly recommend this hotel and will be back to visit again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Socky10
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 16 June 2014
Hello Socky10,

Thank you for choose Sol Príncipe for spent your holidays. We’re so glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay.
All our staff works hard every day for offer our guests the best stay. I will share this review with them.

We will be very pleased to greet you again, ready for have another great experience in our hotel.

Best wishes,
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2014

As you can tell it was my second time back to this hotel. I was there the same week last year.
On arrival, check-in went pretty quickly. Much better than last year. We had two rooms. One was ready, one was not. But that was ok as we were only waiting 30mins for it. As we were a family booking they gave us rooms next to each other as requested. Any email queries prior were answered in a timely fashion regarding this.
Positive points on this trip were: quick check in, our cleaning lady was just lovely(second floor, self catering apartments) the lady who works in the store that monograms hats/tshirts also very lovely. Kids club ladies Elysa and Manon were my sons favourite this year, always had a smile and a high five and remembered his name. Thank you ladies!!
Negative points: the school children who were booked in for the few days ruined the pool&evebing experience. They were loud, rude and splashed about so much everybody by the pool was soaked. They were also loud in the hotel corridors and didn't seem to have enough responsible adults minding them. If I was to return I would actually email the hotel first and ask of there is a school booking as it would turn me off going back.
Next issue would be the evening entertainment. It was MUCH better last year. I missed Arne, Abel and Carlos so much. It seems we were a week too early. They are so much fun and engage the audience so much. Great entertainers! Although Miguel was quite good with the kids I must say that. We returned this year on the strength of the entertainment team and kids club last year. It wasn't as strong/good when we were there second time around!
The shows with the staff are much more entertaining than the ones brought in. 'The Supremes' were NOT good! Most people were gone by the end of their set.
'Il Divo' were very enjoyable but too adult to entertain a family crowd. It was quite embarrassing to see the children run around and be bored and shout at the stage when they performed. The Flamenco dancers were good again this year. They kept all ages entertained. As well as 'Chaplin'.
Also last year there was a few songs after the show in the evening, this didn't happen Saturday or Sunday but when I asked Monday evening(thanks Miguel) a few songs were played and I KNOW EVERYBODY loved the dancing afterward!!
This was carried through the week and helped us enjoy our holiday a little more.
If we return next year we will travel a week later to make sure we see Arne, Abel and Carlos and have that entertainment team. They were the reason we went back the same week this year but it seems we were too early this time around.
Still, all in all an enjoyable stay. No major complaints except for the school kids. We were treated well by all staff and should be returning next year.... A week later....

• Stayed May 2014
8 Thank Ms-HoneyBadger
Dear twinkle12,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on Tripadvisor, and for having chosen Sol Príncipe for your holidays this year again.

We appreciate your good comments about our check in, rooms and children entertainers.

I am so sorry if you didn’t like some aspects of your stay, I take good note of your feedback to work on it and improve.

I would like to tell you that Arne, Abel and Carlos are working with us, I will share this comments with them.

We look forward to see you again netx year for 3rd time.

Best wishes

Bristol
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2014

We were apprehensive about our stay after reading some of the reviews but our worries were completely unfounded. The hotel was very clean the breakfast had a nice selection, fresh fruit and both English and Spanish options. Close to everything in Torremolinos with some great beachside restaurants. We purposely went before the kids clubs opened for a quieter stay but it looked to be a good family hotel too. If you don't have kids there is a quieter pool on the beach side of the hotel. As we were on a late night flight back and couldn't get a late check out due to the hotel being fully booked but they provided us with the use of a bathroom before our flight which was great! The only things I would say to look out for would be the old hotel block which looked quite run down (I emailed ahead to ask to be put in the new) it was quiet noisy been a big hotel if you were trying to get an early night and the major queues at the reception desk were a pain! Altogether though could not be more pleased with our trip!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Elisebet
Dear Elisebet

We would like to thank you for having taken the time to comment on your recent stay at Sol Príncipe and we are happy that overall you have enjoyed your stay with us.

I take good note of your feedback to work on it and improve.
Hope we have the possibility to welcome you again in a near future,

Best Regards