“Great Holiday”

Ranked #14 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Great Holiday”
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We went here for 1 week all inclusive with the whole family 11 of us ranging from 2-63 years old. The hotel was amazing really clean, there was always a great choice at meal times even for picky eaters! The pools were clean and the kids loved it although they were forever getting to not to play with inflatables and to go to the baby pool with them which personally I thought was wrong as they are 11 and the baby pool is only a few inches deep and very crowded with baby's. The entertainment was enjoyable but it was 90% in Spanish, yes I know we were in Spain but the kids didn't have a clue what was going on. The poolside entertainment during the day was fab! The drinks on all inclusive were good and they have half price for non all inclusive drinks if you have the wristband which I thought was very reasonable. The staff were always helpful if I needed them and we had a very enjoyable time here. Also a great location as straight opposite the beach. Will definitely go back here again.

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Franw82
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 30 August 2014
Dear Franw82,

Thank you so much for leaving your review on TripAdvisor!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Making our guests feel welcome, comfortable, satisfied, important is our main goal, and we couldn't be happier to read that all members of your such a big family enjoyed your time with us and of cause being in our prime location, all of that is at our fingertips to explore your vacation time on your leisure. Thank you so much again, and we hope to see you soon.

Please do come and see us again, it would be such a pleasure to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,
Juan Carlos Lloret. Guest Experience Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Nice hotel, excellent warm pool, clean and friendly staff.
We were self catering so didn't try the hotel food.

We would definitely come back here for another holiday. Only bug bear is the large queue to check in, rooms not ready till after 2pm.

The pool is exceptional in my opinion and my kids loved it.

I would rate hotel 3-3.5 stars and the pool 5 stars.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank stevejones67
Dear stevejones67,

Thank you for leaving your review!

We are so happy that you choose the Hotel Sol Principe and so appreciate the time you took to write your opinion about your stay.

We are so happy to read that all in all you enjoyed your time with us and surely we will take note about some points that you was disappointed.

We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Kind Regards,
Austin, Texas
Reviewed 24 August 2014

Two different hotels , the new towers and the old apartment complex in the back.
10 euros to rent a towel , 3 euros to change out dirty towel.
23 euros to rent safe box
Internet purchased from machine in lobby so hotel does not have to take responsibility for crappy internet.
The staff that the hotel has is friendly and helpful but good luck getting any extra help .
Cleaning staff was great. Had ants in our room and they sprayed for them and gave us a big can of ant killer for any future ones.
A large chunk of ceiling fell off one day from the balcony of one of the rooms and staff jumped right on getting it fixed.
Kinda cool seeing Fred and Barney from the 1970 cartoon series.
Their are some safety and security issues at this hotel that should be addressed.
I would be happy to discuss these items with a representative from the hotel if you would like to respond to this review.

4 Thank Clay R
Dear Clay R,

Thank you so much for staying with us, and for offering your comments on TripAdvisor.
I regret if some aspects of your stay wasn´t satisfactory.
Surely we will take into account all your thoughts and suggestions .

We would like discuss the items that you mention in the review , if you want to contact with us please send a mail at solprincipe.reservas@melia.com.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments.

Yours sincerely,
Ilford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 August 2014

We have just come back from a week at this hotel with our 5 year old and 18 month old. The hotel was spotlessly clean and we found the reception and housekeeping staff so friendly and helpful. (Can't say the same about the waiters in the restaurant). When we arrived we were given a family pool view room. It was dark, bathroom light was broken, fridge was broken and the corridor leading up to it looked just like a prison. We complained and the lady on reception was very helpful and immediately gave us a different room in the main hotel which was perfect. Within five minutes, the housekeeping staff brought us more towels and the cot.
Yes, you do need to reserve sunbeds but to be fair, most hotels have this problem. The pool area was so clean and pools were great. Only complaint is just how busy the area gets with people sitting a little like sardines!
Entertainment to be fair seemed incredible. The staff are so enthusiastic and there were always activities going on. However, this was nearly always in Spanish! My son went to have breakfast with Barney but came out asking who pedro was as apparantly they just spoke in Spanish and called for Pedro (Spanish name for Barney). Luckily my son made some lovely friends so didn't need to go to the kids club. Such a shame as the activities they did looked great but very daunting when mainly Spanish spoken.
The food was fine but it was my idea of hell at breakfast time. I have never sat and eat with so many people and so much noise.
Overall, we had a lovely holiday and the hotel is good but I feel they just can't cope with the number of people at busy times ( reception queues and meal times).

Room Tip: Definitely spend the extra in the main hotel with a sea view!
5 Thank nats777
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 23 August 2014
Dear nats777,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your family holiday in Sol Principe Hotel. It is so important not only for prospective guests, but also for us to engage in our growth with specific goals in mind.

It is a pleasure to read that many parts of our service and facilities we offer has been to your liking and you with your family could enjoy it much.

I also read attentively all the points you did not like or the points that you think is necessary to improve or change. We will take into account all your constructive comments, because your experience has a great value to us to improve services.

Thank you so much for the time you took to share your comments, and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome back you and your family in the future.

Kind regards,
london uk
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I'd like to start by saying I had read the reviews before hand and wasn't put of by these.
Some people really need to experience holidays abroad more and not just the Butlins type as some are best used too.

up on arrival check in is a bit of a wait...saying this , it is a huge complex an you do expect this. people are always checking in and out. OK say the least they need more than 2 checking in people.

Now as for the comments on the abruptness.....
Different cultures have different mannerism and therefore the English will use this as rude.. It is NOT rude is just how different cultures explain you really need to adjust your expectations when travelling abroad.
Food.
if your a Vegan, you can eat here. if you a vegetarian you can eat here, if your a meat eater you can eat here. if your a fruitarian you can eat here.
The food is excellent and is being a big hotel you'd expect ques.. there was not LONG waits for food. you have 3 food stations. different selections and deserts galore. you will never get board .Oh and don't forget for you English there is chips too..yeahhhhhh Yorkshire puds yeahhhhh onion rings yeahhhhh
If you want to complain about the food.. go to Butlins.

The room was clean , aircon and a large balcony. 1 lady id mention that they should provide a clothes airer..oh please come on . I've never been to a holiday complex with 1...oh no I'm wrong. BUTLINS have them. the sun is soooo hot I'm pretty sure the chairs and table will be sufficient to dry your towels.
Now for the Entertainment.
firstly I'd like to say... when you go on holiday in the UK how many languages do you hear the entertainment in mmmm oh yes that's right 1 English... why is this?? because your in England. So when going to spain I do expect the majority of entertainment done in the native language. You really don't need to understand the words to appreciate the dancing and kids entertainment to get a grip as to what's going on.... Don't live tis way as you will loose out with your stupid criticism. when the Spanish come to UK do they receive the entertainment in English..i think NOT. We the English are a lazy bunch..speaking just mainly 1 language.. the Spanish speak 2 to 3. but it's us who complain.

would I go back... HELL YES.
my little one sobbed his heart out upon leaving he is 4. do you think he missed out because he didn't speak the lingo.. his sobs showed me not.

8 Thank Busylittleone
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Busylittleone,

We are so happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your so lovely and very detailed review on TripAdvisor.

It is always so great to read that a guest enjoyed their time with us, and also felt the service was great. These are our two main goals, and to achieve them is the greatest feeling for all of us here at Hotel Sol Principe.

Thank you so much for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,
surrey
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed here for 10 nights from the end of July. Checked in at midday and room was ready for us. Got a choice of which floor to stay on. Room was clean. Lovely view of the sea from our balcony. Food was OK - fabulous fruit! Staff were fairly friendly. No problem getting sunbeds even late morning. Spent our time round the pool near the sea front which was lovely and quiet and grassy.. the other one was absolutely crammed, you could hardly walk round the pool between sunbeds.
Air conditioning worked well but was a little noisy during the night.
Had a strange misty cloud on a few mornings so on one I decided to go for a run whilst it was cooler. It was 10.20 and even though 2 men were behind the bar doing nothing they refused to serve me a bottle of water to take with me as they didn't open until 10.30! Really annoyed me as I didn't need to pay so they only had to open the fridge door. Told me to get a cup from the restaurant - really helpful to take out on a run!! Saying that this was really my only complaint.

Room Tip: Pick a sea view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank SurreyMonkey23
Dear SurreyMonkey23,

Thank you for taking the time out to review our hotel and your recent stay here!

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay as well as all the facilities we offer to our guests in the hotel and nearby.

I am so sorry, for your problem at the bar. I have already shared your comments with the bar manager. We have taken measures to prevent it in the future.

We thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Sol Principe and we certainly do hope that you stay with us again in the future!

Sincerely
Reviewed 19 August 2014

First time at this hotel, and it was average at best, I will start by saying that we won't be returning. We went seven days all inclusive. Firstly, we found the reception staff rude, we checked in at the hotel on a Tuesday at 2100 hrs, and we checked out the following Tuesday at 1200 midday, with our transfer at 1900 on the Tuesday evening. After checkout we were told that our all inclusive had finished and we would have to pay for drinks and food for the next 7 hours, good job I'd saved some euros! For me an all inclusive is from the time you arrive until the time you leave the hotel.
I questioned the staff at reception only to have wave her finger and tell me that "I need to understand the rules"...
The hotel catered for the Spanish and we found the staff rude at times around the pool bar. It felt that they weren't really bothered about us paying guests who actually keep them in a job!
The room was ok, but ok at best. The rooms need some updating, far from four star standards. All the entertainment was done in Spanish and we found our kids getting bored as they didn't understand.
On a positive not the food was excellent.
To conclude we won't be coming back due to the rude reception staff, and silly all inclusive rules.

4 Thank Ianho78
Dear Ianho78,

First of all, thank you for take your valuable time and post your review on Trip Advisor.
I read carefully your such a long and detaild review about your experience in Sol Príncipe.

We are very sorry that your experience was not what you expected and I regret you did not enjoyed your stay with us.

The comments concerning a poor staff attitude from some of our reception team are certainly not the standards we normally achieve (as you will see from many other reviews). It is particularly dissapointing that we have not provided our normal standard of service to you.

We have taken note about your comments and your experience and we will do our best to improve all the aspects for your next visit.

Sincerely