“Some good, mostly bad”

Sol Principe by Melia
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 29 August 2014

First of all I would like to explain that this was the first time that I've stayed at this hotel, and so I can only give a review of one visit. My girlfriend and I have just come back from a 1 week all inclusive stay after it being advertised as suitable for couples and families, how wrong that was. I'll leave some concise good and bad points below:

Good: hotel in great location next to the beach, modern looking hotel, room very nice and cleaned every day, food at all meals was excellent and there was a very reasonably priced masseuse by the pool which was great.

Bad: the dinner hall is ridiculously busy and extremely loud when you're trying to eat, waiters couldn't care less, 95% of the guests seemed to be Spanish families, no room in any pool to just relax as they're all constantly full of screaming children, wifi is an extra 20 euros (although it was decent), 4 English channels on TV which are all news channels, hotel needs another 100 sun beds to accommodate all the guests.

Sorry for the long review but I tried to review every aspect of the hotel I encountered. I would consider staying here again simply because of the location, but it would probably be in off season. Thanks for reading

Room Tip: The higher rooms with a sea view are great
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Michael G
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Michale G,
First and foremost, thank you for chose our hotel and for recently staying with us at Sol Principe Hotel and for sharing your experience.
I apologize for not meeting your expectations. Your feedback is a great training tool and asset to improve our guest service.
I would like to tell you that during high season we have two restaurants, one close two Miramar terrace and another one “Playamar Restaurant” y Caribe sun terrace, in front of lagoon style pool.
We hope to see you again in Sol Príncipe.
Sincerely

Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Have just returned home from a week stay at this brilliant hotel. Save time and money and get a taxi straight from Malaga airport for 20 euros. Arrived at hotel at 10 am. Friendly reception staff checked us in amd said to come back at 1:30 to collect room key. The hotel has a secure room to store suitcases in the meantime. Returned at 1:30 to collect keycard, our room wasn't ready so we was given a new room. The room was lovely, clean and bright. Great air con and black out curtains. Cleaning staff great, rooms cleaned everyday and towels changed. The swimming pools are all amazing. My four year old just loved it. Usual sun bed scramble but I was happy to sit on edge of pool and play with my son. Hotel is also right on beach in a superb location. Taxi cost 8 euros to waterpark. Food in the hotel was amazing too and my son is very fussy. Yes there are a lot of nationalities and entertainment in Spanish.........but you are in Spain so didn't bother me one bit. Would def visit this hotel again and highly recommend.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Coral M

Dear Coral M,

It is always an honor for us to be a part of such a wonderful experience. We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay, and thank you so much for taking the time to post your lovely comments on TripAdvisor.
Most importantly, thank you so much for staying with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Best regards.

Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

We went here for 1 week all inclusive with the whole family 11 of us ranging from 2-63 years old. The hotel was amazing really clean, there was always a great choice at meal times even for picky eaters! The pools were clean and the kids loved it although they were forever getting to not to play with inflatables and to go to the baby pool with them which personally I thought was wrong as they are 11 and the baby pool is only a few inches deep and very crowded with baby's. The entertainment was enjoyable but it was 90% in Spanish, yes I know we were in Spain but the kids didn't have a clue what was going on. The poolside entertainment during the day was fab! The drinks on all inclusive were good and they have half price for non all inclusive drinks if you have the wristband which I thought was very reasonable. The staff were always helpful if I needed them and we had a very enjoyable time here. Also a great location as straight opposite the beach. Will definitely go back here again.

Stayed: July 2014
2  Thank Franw82

Dear Franw82,

Thank you so much for leaving your review on TripAdvisor!

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Making our guests feel welcome, comfortable, satisfied, important is our main goal, and we couldn't be happier to read that all members of your such a big family enjoyed your time with us and of cause being in our prime location, all of that is at our fingertips to explore your vacation time on your leisure. Thank you so much again, and we hope to see you soon.

Please do come and see us again, it would be such a pleasure to welcome you back.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 25 August 2014

Nice hotel, excellent warm pool, clean and friendly staff.
We were self catering so didn't try the hotel food.

We would definitely come back here for another holiday. Only bug bear is the large queue to check in, rooms not ready till after 2pm.

The pool is exceptional in my opinion and my kids loved it.

I would rate hotel 3-3.5 stars and the pool 5 stars.

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank stevejones67

Dear stevejones67,

Thank you for leaving your review!

We are so happy that you choose the Hotel Sol Principe and so appreciate the time you took to write your opinion about your stay.

We are so happy to read that all in all you enjoyed your time with us and surely we will take note about some points that you was disappointed.

We hope to see you again in the very near future.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 24 August 2014

Two different hotels , the new towers and the old apartment complex in the back.
10 euros to rent a towel , 3 euros to change out dirty towel.
23 euros to rent safe box
Internet purchased from machine in lobby so hotel does not have to take responsibility for crappy internet.
The staff that the hotel has is friendly and helpful but good luck getting any extra help .
Cleaning staff was great. Had ants in our room and they sprayed for them and gave us a big can of ant killer for any future ones.
A large chunk of ceiling fell off one day from the balcony of one of the rooms and staff jumped right on getting it fixed.
Kinda cool seeing Fred and Barney from the 1970 cartoon series.
Their are some safety and security issues at this hotel that should be addressed.
I would be happy to discuss these items with a representative from the hotel if you would like to respond to this review.

4  Thank Clay R

Dear Clay R,

Thank you so much for staying with us, and for offering your comments on TripAdvisor.
I regret if some aspects of your stay wasn´t satisfactory.
Surely we will take into account all your thoughts and suggestions .

We would like discuss the items that you mention in the review , if you want to contact with us please send a mail at solprincipe.reservas@melia.com.

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 22 August 2014

We have just come back from a week at this hotel with our 5 year old and 18 month old. The hotel was spotlessly clean and we found the reception and housekeeping staff so friendly and helpful. (Can't say the same about the waiters in the restaurant). When we arrived we were given a family pool view room. It was dark, bathroom light was broken, fridge was broken and the corridor leading up to it looked just like a prison. We complained and the lady on reception was very helpful and immediately gave us a different room in the main hotel which was perfect. Within five minutes, the housekeeping staff brought us more towels and the cot.
Yes, you do need to reserve sunbeds but to be fair, most hotels have this problem. The pool area was so clean and pools were great. Only complaint is just how busy the area gets with people sitting a little like sardines!
Entertainment to be fair seemed incredible. The staff are so enthusiastic and there were always activities going on. However, this was nearly always in Spanish! My son went to have breakfast with Barney but came out asking who pedro was as apparantly they just spoke in Spanish and called for Pedro (Spanish name for Barney). Luckily my son made some lovely friends so didn't need to go to the kids club. Such a shame as the activities they did looked great but very daunting when mainly Spanish spoken.
The food was fine but it was my idea of hell at breakfast time. I have never sat and eat with so many people and so much noise.
Overall, we had a lovely holiday and the hotel is good but I feel they just can't cope with the number of people at busy times ( reception queues and meal times).

Room Tip: Definitely spend the extra in the main hotel with a sea view!
5  Thank nats777
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Dear nats777,

Thank you for sharing your experience of your family holiday in Sol Principe Hotel. It is so important not only for prospective guests, but also for us to engage in our growth with specific goals in mind.

It is a pleasure to read that many parts of our service and facilities we offer has been to your liking and you with your family could enjoy it much.

I also read attentively all the points you did not like or the points that you think is necessary to improve or change. We will take into account all your constructive comments, because your experience has a great value to us to improve services.

Thank you so much for the time you took to share your comments, and we hope we have the opportunity to welcome back you and your family in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 20 August 2014

I'd like to start by saying I had read the reviews before hand and wasn't put of by these.
Some people really need to experience holidays abroad more and not just the Butlins type as some are best used too.

up on arrival check in is a bit of a wait...saying this , it is a huge complex an you do expect this. people are always checking in and out. OK say the least they need more than 2 checking in people.

Now as for the comments on the abruptness.....
Different cultures have different mannerism and therefore the English will use this as rude.. It is NOT rude is just how different cultures explain you really need to adjust your expectations when travelling abroad.
Food.
if your a Vegan, you can eat here. if you a vegetarian you can eat here, if your a meat eater you can eat here. if your a fruitarian you can eat here.
The food is excellent and is being a big hotel you'd expect ques.. there was not LONG waits for food. you have 3 food stations. different selections and deserts galore. you will never get board .Oh and don't forget for you English there is chips too..yeahhhhhh Yorkshire puds yeahhhhh onion rings yeahhhhh
If you want to complain about the food.. go to Butlins.

The room was clean , aircon and a large balcony. 1 lady id mention that they should provide a clothes airer..oh please come on . I've never been to a holiday complex with 1...oh no I'm wrong. BUTLINS have them. the sun is soooo hot I'm pretty sure the chairs and table will be sufficient to dry your towels.
Now for the Entertainment.
firstly I'd like to say... when you go on holiday in the UK how many languages do you hear the entertainment in mmmm oh yes that's right 1 English... why is this?? because your in England. So when going to spain I do expect the majority of entertainment done in the native language. You really don't need to understand the words to appreciate the dancing and kids entertainment to get a grip as to what's going on.... Don't live tis way as you will loose out with your stupid criticism. when the Spanish come to UK do they receive the entertainment in English..i think NOT. We the English are a lazy bunch..speaking just mainly 1 language.. the Spanish speak 2 to 3. but it's us who complain.

would I go back... HELL YES.
my little one sobbed his heart out upon leaving he is 4. do you think he missed out because he didn't speak the lingo.. his sobs showed me not.

8  Thank Busylittleone
JuanCarlos_SP, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Principe by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear Busylittleone,

We are so happy to hear that you had a nice stay with us!

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave your so lovely and very detailed review on TripAdvisor.

It is always so great to read that a guest enjoyed their time with us, and also felt the service was great. These are our two main goals, and to achieve them is the greatest feeling for all of us here at Hotel Sol Principe.

Thank you so much for staying with us, and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Kind regards,