I booked this hotel as a last minute mini-break for myself & my partner as we were in desperate need of some sunshine! Our main aim was to relax in warm sunshine with a pretty and spacious pool to cool off in and refreshments available near the pool.
I chose Sol Principe primarily because of the pool and the good reviews I had read on here.
We weren't disappointed with the quality of the hotel in any way.
The room we had was spacious, VERY clean and had everything we needed and a little more besides. The things that we appreciated most were
A fridge to keep our bottled water cold.
A telly with English speaking channels (news & sports - and yes, the remote was mended a bit pike-handedly, but IT WORKED PERFECTLY!)
Shower gel & soap in dispensers which were permanently full (no running out of soggy sachets & having to beg reception for more!)
Air conditioning which was very easy to control
Clean towels every day, even when not left in the bath for changing.
Extra pillows in the wardrobe - again, no need to request them.
The restaurant was lovely and clean and the staff very oblidging. We used it for breakfast and evening meals. The variety was good during both services and tables inside and out were readily available. The food was average quality for Spain, but we still enjoyed it very much, especially the Paella. We stayed away from the 'similar to British food' choices and stuck with the local interesting & varied dishes. We chose to breakfast early at 9 and went for dinner at 8.30. This way we managed to avoid the rush of Spanish families who aren't as good at manners and queueing as the British!!
The main pool was wonderful, the water crystal clear and there was plenty of room for everyone. I saw cleaners working discreetly around the pool at least 3 times a day, which meant the entire pool area was spotless. Lots of young families were using this pool, but it was great fun to see everyone, young & old having fun. If you are easily disturbed by kids, then the sports pool at the front of the hotel was very quiet and would be perfect for those who are looking for something calmer. I do want to point out a couple of things which were my only gripes with our stay, and concern the main pool & surrounding area, but don't let them put you off, because they really aren't anything out of the ordinary for a Costa hotel.
The first is a safety issue as others have also mentioned here. The floors around the main pool and the childrens mini pools are VERY SLIPPERY. My heart was in my mouth a few times watching parents skid accross the tiles with small babies & young children in their arms. It is definately an issue which the management need to address, but that said, forewarned is forearmed and we managed not to slip once, due to careful footing!!!
The second issue I had was the reservation of sunbeds. It was mostly Spanish families who appeared at 8.30 to 'claim' their spot under the sunshades, or in prime positions around the pool, whether sunbeds had been unchained or not. Said places were then not used until often as late as 11, after the families had enjoyed a long & leisurely breakfast. I had a small debate with one Spainsh chap who seemed to think it was OK to reserve 15 beds for his family who were at breakfast. But I won, stating firmly the fact that I had already breakfasted & was ready to used the sunbeds rather than just block the space with a towel and pointing him in the direction of the various notices in the hotel which clearly state in English & Spanish that reserving sunbeds is strictly prohibited. However, the hotel having clear notices INSIDE the building isn't much good when you are quite a walk away from them! It would cause less friction and more clarity if the hotel were to have these notices right by the pool, staff to enforce the hotel's rule and to remove towels when people rudely do the whole 'reserved' thing. GRRR!!! I would urge anyone to be brave & set themselves up on one half of the shade, leaving the other half free for the rude types! I did this too, and the rude family who finally turned up at 10.45 decided not to share the shade with us anyway :o)
Lastly, the pool bar didn't do snacks (apart from crisps) and this was a disappointment but only because I was too nervous of slipping to walk far beside the pool with my hands full.
The Sol Principe is right by the sea, which makes for lovely evening strolls along the front, trying different beach restaurants and watching the world go by. There are your typical British pubs as well as the more traditional Spainish ones, so nobody needs to worry that they won't find a few home comforts on the food & drink front!!
The staff are very friendly, polite and helpful, and the childrens entertainers have more energy than the kids, which is always a bonus! We have children and although they weren't with us for this trip, from what I saw, they would have really enjoyed joining in the fun!
All round, we had a very enjoyable stay in a very comfortable hotel. It was a little expensive, but we were on a three day break, so couldn't negotiate a longer stay price with the hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sol by Melia present Sol Príncipe Hotel, is located in Torremolinos (Malaga) right on the beachfront with direct access to the promenade, to the beautiful Playamar Beach and numerous bars (typical restaurants on the sand) specialized in "fried fish." 27,000 m2 of facilities make Sol Principe a spectacular hotel with day and night activities for children and adults; ideal for family vacations. The rooms of different categories with magnificent views of the sea or to the Spectacular Caribbean lagoon-style swimming pool surrounded by exotic gardens. Air conditioning, LCD TV 43", Safe (*), Mini fridge, hairdryer and a large furnished terrace (table / chairs); 4 swimming pools for adults (1 indoor) and 1 for children, Solarium and hammocks; different dining spaces, beauty salon; Wireless internet access (free) throughout the hotel, fitness, live music. also has 14 meeting rooms with capacity for up to 750 people. (*). Adapted for disabled guests, private car park (*). (*) With charge ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Jet2Holidays , Alpha Holidays Limited, Odigeo, Melia, Onthebeach, LoveHolidays, Expedia, Cancelon, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd, Hotels.com, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Sol Principe by Melia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sol Principe Torremolinos
- Sol Principe Hotel
- Hotel Sol Principe
- Sol Principe By Melia Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol, Spain