“Super holiday, fabulous hotel.”

Sol Principe by Melia
Ranked #16 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 4 September 2009

I booked this hotel as a last minute mini-break for myself & my partner as we were in desperate need of some sunshine! Our main aim was to relax in warm sunshine with a pretty and spacious pool to cool off in and refreshments available near the pool.
I chose Sol Principe primarily because of the pool and the good reviews I had read on here.
We weren't disappointed with the quality of the hotel in any way.

The room we had was spacious, VERY clean and had everything we needed and a little more besides. The things that we appreciated most were
A fridge to keep our bottled water cold.
A telly with English speaking channels (news & sports - and yes, the remote was mended a bit pike-handedly, but IT WORKED PERFECTLY!)
Shower gel & soap in dispensers which were permanently full (no running out of soggy sachets & having to beg reception for more!)
Air conditioning which was very easy to control
Clean towels every day, even when not left in the bath for changing.
Extra pillows in the wardrobe - again, no need to request them.

The restaurant was lovely and clean and the staff very oblidging. We used it for breakfast and evening meals. The variety was good during both services and tables inside and out were readily available. The food was average quality for Spain, but we still enjoyed it very much, especially the Paella. We stayed away from the 'similar to British food' choices and stuck with the local interesting & varied dishes. We chose to breakfast early at 9 and went for dinner at 8.30. This way we managed to avoid the rush of Spanish families who aren't as good at manners and queueing as the British!!

The main pool was wonderful, the water crystal clear and there was plenty of room for everyone. I saw cleaners working discreetly around the pool at least 3 times a day, which meant the entire pool area was spotless. Lots of young families were using this pool, but it was great fun to see everyone, young & old having fun. If you are easily disturbed by kids, then the sports pool at the front of the hotel was very quiet and would be perfect for those who are looking for something calmer. I do want to point out a couple of things which were my only gripes with our stay, and concern the main pool & surrounding area, but don't let them put you off, because they really aren't anything out of the ordinary for a Costa hotel.
The first is a safety issue as others have also mentioned here. The floors around the main pool and the childrens mini pools are VERY SLIPPERY. My heart was in my mouth a few times watching parents skid accross the tiles with small babies & young children in their arms. It is definately an issue which the management need to address, but that said, forewarned is forearmed and we managed not to slip once, due to careful footing!!!
The second issue I had was the reservation of sunbeds. It was mostly Spanish families who appeared at 8.30 to 'claim' their spot under the sunshades, or in prime positions around the pool, whether sunbeds had been unchained or not. Said places were then not used until often as late as 11, after the families had enjoyed a long & leisurely breakfast. I had a small debate with one Spainsh chap who seemed to think it was OK to reserve 15 beds for his family who were at breakfast. But I won, stating firmly the fact that I had already breakfasted & was ready to used the sunbeds rather than just block the space with a towel and pointing him in the direction of the various notices in the hotel which clearly state in English & Spanish that reserving sunbeds is strictly prohibited. However, the hotel having clear notices INSIDE the building isn't much good when you are quite a walk away from them! It would cause less friction and more clarity if the hotel were to have these notices right by the pool, staff to enforce the hotel's rule and to remove towels when people rudely do the whole 'reserved' thing. GRRR!!! I would urge anyone to be brave & set themselves up on one half of the shade, leaving the other half free for the rude types! I did this too, and the rude family who finally turned up at 10.45 decided not to share the shade with us anyway :o)
Lastly, the pool bar didn't do snacks (apart from crisps) and this was a disappointment but only because I was too nervous of slipping to walk far beside the pool with my hands full.

The Sol Principe is right by the sea, which makes for lovely evening strolls along the front, trying different beach restaurants and watching the world go by. There are your typical British pubs as well as the more traditional Spainish ones, so nobody needs to worry that they won't find a few home comforts on the food & drink front!!

The staff are very friendly, polite and helpful, and the childrens entertainers have more energy than the kids, which is always a bonus! We have children and although they weren't with us for this trip, from what I saw, they would have really enjoyed joining in the fun!

All round, we had a very enjoyable stay in a very comfortable hotel. It was a little expensive, but we were on a three day break, so couldn't negotiate a longer stay price with the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Vicki R
Write a ReviewReviews (3,566)

Reviewed 23 August 2009

My husband and I travelled with our one year old son on 15th August and stayed for 1 week. We booked the flight/hotel through First Choice and were both very happy with our decision. The transfer from the airport took just 10 minutes and on our arrival at the hotel we were pleasantly surprised with the look of the place. The reception was lovely and the hotel is very clean. The pools are the main attraction. They have one large pool, split into two sections, and two smaller kids pools, as well as a quieter pool at the front of the hotel. Although many of the sun loungers were reserved from 9-10am, the life guards were very good at placing notices on the sun loungers to warn people that their towels would be taken after an hour if they did not return. Be aware that the hotel does not supply beach towels, so either take your own or there are plenty available from shops along the promenade just outside the hotel. We purchased a couple of towels for 6 euros each. They were nice but, having not been machine washed, they did shed black fluff all over us!

We took our son to the Baby Rock club, a free hotel facility that looks after children between 8 months and 5 years from Monday-Saturday, between 11am-1pm. You don’t have to book in advance and you simply leave your mobile number, a bottle and a nappy with them. We took it as an opportunity to have some pool time to ourselves. You can’t expect to just leave your children there though because if they are upset the lady will call you to collect them and she can get a little annoyed (quite rightly) if you don’t collect them quick enough. Hence, there were usually no children left by 1pm!

We chose the half-board option, but would probably go self-catering if we were to stay there again. The food was passable but the lack of variety at dinner was its main downfall. Breakfast is served between 8.30-11.15am and is good. We had a full English breakfast most mornings. However, do not touch the black pudding….you have been warned! We chose not to have the midday lunch but had the evening buffet (served from 8-11pm). Pools are closed from 8pm so the evening buffet is quiet between 8-8.45, but is heaving after that, with long queues into the restaurant.

The weather is very hot this time of the year. It was 36-38oC in the afternoon (28oC in the shade). This meant that most people, including ourselves, chose to go to the beach in the morning because, as well as the heat, the sand just got too hot for our son to play on later in the day. We would probably go earlier in the season when it is a little cooler.

Eating/drinking outside of the hotel will cost you pretty much the same as the Southern half of the UK due to the Euro. The beach restaurants charge 4 eu for a pint but beer is usually under 3 eu a pint off the main promenade. The bars did appear to be fairly empty at night, considering the time of the year. This was possibly due to the Credit Crunch. A litre of San Miguel is 1 eu in the Super Sol supermarket across the road from the main entrance to the hotel and 2 eu from the fridges of the shops along the promenade. Ironically, a can of beer from the beach shops at 1 eu is the same price as a can of coke. We don’t normally recommend bars/restaurants but, in this case, would like to mention The Victoria Inn (‘The Vic’), just off the promenade and about a 2 min walk away from the hotel’s main entrance. It is a Welsh family-run bar, with an exceptionally friendly feel to it. We also liked to have a coffee and fantastic cake in the Los Gallegos café, which is on the promenade about 20 mins walk away from the hotel (close to Burger King).

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sol Principe and would definitely recommend it to family/friends who wish to stay in Torremolinos.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank SarahDManchester
Reviewed 17 August 2009

we stayed here the first week of august and had a very relaxing time.we were glad the entertainment finished at midnight as we had a 2 and 4 year old to settle down before we could enjoy our drinks on the balcony.we put our 4 year old into kids club one day but she had enough after 40 mins as it was completely spanish songs/stories she was lost .maybe a bit more english spoken would have helped.the apartment was fine for our needs as we didn`t plan to do any cooking and ate all our meals out.found kids choices limited in most restaurants though chips and nuggets or sausages being the only options.a few vegetables would have ben appreciated. would come back again though the kids loved the pools and shows every night and we enjoyed the food and sangria.the cleaning staff were efficient and the rep lauren was helpful

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank torre09
Reviewed 5 August 2009

Just back from the Sol Principe. Tried to book this hotel for the middle of July due to the facilities for the kids (Flintstones) but the accomodation was unavailable. Instead of just booking another hotel we decided to wait and managed to book up for the last week in July.

The hotel is only 10 minutes transfer from the airport (first dropped off/last pick up).

We travelled as a family of 6 (3 adults and 3 kids). First problem we encountered was the rooms. It was basically a twin room with a single bad lying length ways at the bottom of the 2 singles. Could not swing a cat and had to walk sideways to get round the room. The only place that had some space was the bathroom!!. We went straight to reception and thankfully they were able to move us to a bigger room but there was no balcony although the patio doors did open and there was a glass barrier to protect the kids. I really missed the chance to sit and relax on my balcony at night when the kids had gone to bed!!

Usual problems incurred with the sunbeds. Arrive at the pool only to find the place swarming with sunbeds but unfortunately all covered with towels. Many of them remained this way for most of the morning with their occupants arriving around lunchtime. Sooooooo frustrating!!!!

The pool area is absolutely lovely but PLEASE BE CAREFUL - THE POOLSIDE IS VERY VERY SLIPPY!!!!! I was one of the many people who fell - damaging my wrist in the process.

Kids club seemed to be quite good but my little ones felt a little apprehensive due to the fact there were hardly any British children around. It wasn't until our last few days that we began to notice a few more familiar accents.

Our only real problem was the food. Didn't enjoy it very much. Obviously the same choices for breakfast and there was always something to get by, but evening meals were not very enjoyable. Food looked nice but they seem to add pork or ham to absolutely everything. As a family we do not eat pork and I did notice many other hotel residents having the same problem. I'm also not a vegetarian but there are times where a plain cheese & tomato pizza or some mixed salad would have been nice WITHOUT THE HAM!! (after 5 days I did ask why they only had pizzas containing pork - next night to my amazement there were cheese and tomato pizzas available - could this not have been done without me asking) The kids really fancied some of the pasta dishes, especially the ravioli, what meat was inside the ravioli, no not beef, surprise surprise, pork. I just feel there could have been more choice for those of us who either do not eat pork or who are vegetarian. Obviously this problem may seem pathetic to some of you but the choice as well as the quality of the food should matter.

We had an early departure time so the evening before we made enquiries to see if we could arrange a slightly earlier breakfast. We were told there would be no problem. The following morning we arrived for breakfast to find the place almost in darkness and no-one around. There were croissants and jam laid out along with a few muffins and biscuits. I thought this was unacceptable as we were fully entitled to our full choice for breakfast and the dining room was actually open to the whole hotel within the following half hour.

All in all we did manage to have a relaxing time which is what we set out to do and the weather was absolutely glorious. I just feel the hotel let the side down a little. Certainly not quite a 4 star accomodation.

As you will see I chose to recommend the hotel to a friend - only because there was not a choice for MAYBE.

2  Thank KarenKEdinburgh
Reviewed 28 July 2009

perfect hotel

kids clubs at 11-1 were brilliant, games,pool games, costumes were given to the children and they were allowed to take part in the peter pan show that evening if they wished.This was free.there werer different kids clubs for different age groups.
another kids club started at 3-5 with a 10 euro charge where the kids were on the trampolines or playing crazy golf,painting etc.

Pools
there was a huge pool in the centre surrounded by 2 kids pools with slides, a pool bar, massage table with massages from as little as 10 euro, toilet facilities beside the pool, plenty of sunbeds, two extra pool just past the restraunt facing the sea front and one indoor pool with gym facilities.

plenty of shops selling keyrings etc, a bit dearer than the outside shops as you would expect in a hotel

a great restraunt and 2 more bars which have music every night.

shows on every night.

great staff especially in the kids clubs

rooms were gleaming clean, and room service staff were really friendly.

over all amazing hotel

location was ok it wasnt very central but a 10 min walk up the hill, or a 7 euro taxi ride.

great place for breakfast around the corner called mc nallys which i would 100 per cent recomment the staff were great and the food just like home.

all in all amazing place

kids paradise

i would recommend this hotel to anybody especially with young children.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank legs181182
Reviewed 27 July 2009

This hotel is rated a 4* but being honest it just about makes a 3*.
The pools are fab,the food is lovely and the hotel is all refurbished but the staff were very rude and sullen.
We have stayed in a lot of Sol hotels before this that were fantastic but this hotel is the worst we have ever been to.
Kids clubs were advertised but when we got there we found out that only the morning session which was fron 11am to 1pm was free.The afternoon session which was from 3pm to 5pm had to be paid for.This was a bit much.We had to get a 5 day package for each of our 3 children which cost €35 each.A single day was €10 and a 3 day package was €25.So our 3 kids each got 2 five day packages which set us back €210!!!Also the kids club entertainers had very little english except for one of them.They seemed to favour the spanish speaking kids by explainng everything in detail to them in spanish and then only throwing the odd english word at the english speaking kids.When you register the kids for the mini club you state whether they can leave alone or not when the session is over.We ticked the do not leave alone box but to our horror our 5 year old walked out of the club on numerous occasions and made his way over to the pool to us.
The kids mini shows at night did not start until 9.30 which was quite late for the little ones.The main shows then followed at 10.30.One night my kids were to perform in Peter Pan but by the time the show started at 10.45pm my 5 year old was asleep!
The kids playground that was advertised remained closed for a good part of the day.
One morning on entering the kids playground I noticed the ground covered in broken glass.One lady was attempting to sweep it up.When I returned 2 hours later the cleaning lady was gone and there was a lot of glass still around.I brought it to the attention of one of the kids entertainers but I knew by their expression that they did not care.Two days later the glass was still there.
I feel that all matters relating to kids and their safety was very care free.
The tiles around the entire outside area by the pools and bar are deadly.We lost count of the number of people who fell on them.
The kids pools were fab but the seating area was way too small to cater for the amount of families using it.We had to be down at the pool area every morning at 7.30am in order to get a sunshade,then sit there until 9.00am when the sunbeds would be unchained.If you left your sunbed at any time during the day for a swim,lunch etc the lifegaurds would put a note on your sunbed warning you that your towels could be taken.After a certain period of time if you had not returned your towels and belongings were removed.
We found the spanish to be very rude and they had no problem invading your personal space.If you moved your sunbed any bit at all during the day you can be sure there was a spaniard waiting to pounce on the space.We did not like the fact that they pushed their sunbeds right up on top of you.
The reason I booked this hotel was that they had a club advertised for age 9-14.However on arrival I realised that there was no such thing.My son at 12 was too young for some of the adult games so there he was with little entertainment for 2 weeks.
All in all we will not be back.We had a good holiday but I found the whole sunbed thing stressful and I felt suffocated by the spanish sitting almost on top of you.

1  Thank rubi60
Reviewed 21 July 2009

Stayed here for over a week with a young family and would definately recommend to those in similar circumstances and will most likely return in the next couple of years.

We booked this hotel based on the child facilities and were delighted that they were actually as described. The hotel is vast (3 tower blocks of 8 floors each plus the older apartment buildings) but in ample space with huge swimming and sun bathing areas. Getting a sun bed was realtively easy if you were around before 10 which anyone with a small child will be.

The kids creche runs from 11-1 Mon to Sat and is free. The staff there are great and I had no hesitiation leaving our child with them. In the afternoon they run activities from 3-5 which is optional and costs €10. No pressure to avail of this. The play areas and kids pools are really good - the Flinstone theme ever present. There are opportunities for photos with the charecters and all in all its ideal for kids of all ages.

Food was a bit of a gripe. We went B&B and the breakfast spread was excellent but a bit repetitive. The restarant opeing hours were our biggest issue. Neither the restaraunt nor the snack bar served food in the early evening (both open at 8) so if you need to feed your infant before a bedtime you are directed to Bronto Burger. This place is awful - cold stale food kept warm under a weak lamp at premium prices. Only tried once and never returned.

The room was quiet small and cramped but then again it was a family of 3 (cot and all) staying in a double room. Like the other reviewer the remote was held together by an elastic band which is sloppy for 4 star. Balcony was in shade after 12 or so but apart from rotating the hotel there's not much can be done about this. We had a sea view which was great.

The reception staff could do with some lessons in friendliness. Check in and check out were fine but out of the ordinary requests were dealt with (or not in one case!) pretty rudely.

Location is directly on the beach and a €5 taxi fair / 20 minute walk to the town centre.

All in all I would return here and probably go B&B again as it was good value. Its not 4 star standard like you'd get at home but what is on Med holidays? The hotel is probably a good 3 star but the failicities and location make the place. I walked around the area quiet a bit over my time there and it stodd apart as the best hotel in the area so I would definately recommend a visit!

3  Thank Meathman