“What you pay is what you get”
Review of Hotel Tropicana

Hotel Tropicana
Ranked #48 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“What you pay is what you get”
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I recently visited Hotel Tropicana with friends. We opted for self-catering accommodation because it was cheaper and we suspected that we may have sporadic eating times (we went for the night-life). There were positive and negative aspects to the Hotel although we were pleased with our stay on the whole;

1. On arrival, hotel staff were extremely helpful and answered all of of our questions. This was continued throughout the week when we needed questions answered about the local area.
2. Although our room was definitely not 4*, it was clean and spacious enough for four people. It was basic but catered for all of our needs.
3. The location for the beach is fantastic. For the night-life, you have to walk for 20 or so minutes to Benalmadena. There is a Mercadona just around the corner, which is very cheap and provides all the groceries you could need.
4. The pool is lovely and clean and usually quiet.
5. The taxi sent by the Hotel was a Mercedes, a nice surprise after the cramped flight!
6. Cleaning is only every 3 days, so the floor gets a bit dirty, but a thorough job was carried out.
7. The self catering accommodation is in a different building to the main hotel but is still secure as the front door requires a key.
8. You must visit the pizzeria on the corner of the road joining to the hotel's road. They are made in front of you and are delicious. The best pizza I have ever tasted!

A finishing note; we were expecting 4*, but we were naive. You cannot expect a four star hotel for the little amount of money paid. Bare this in mind and check with the hotel BEFORE you book.

Would recommend for those not looking for anything too fancy (although no idea what the rooms in the actual hotel are like)!

Room Tip: Ask for the olive room
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
fife
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Loved the location right on the beach,hotel has own beach with comfortable sunbeds.
Didnt have a sea view room,we had a view off next doors restaurant and fire escape and a small view of the water.Would not put me off going back.
Staff were very helpful.Some parts off the hotel are needing some refurbishment.
Our room was spotless,comfy bed and good sized bathroom.
More uk chanels on tv would be good.
We were b/b and there was plenty choices to suit all tastes.
Pool area is nice and is kept clean again sunbeds supplied.
Would no hesitate to go back to this as everything is on your doorstep and some off the best Chiringuitos are on the prom between marina and Torremilonos.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sandy h
Chorley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 July 2011

The Hotel was good, food was very good. Don't pay for a view more than likely get one anyways. Ok positives out the way now for the negs. We went breakfast & evening meal, breakfast great but evening meal had to pay for water. Beach had sunbeds with mats but cost 9€ a day ( . 50€ discount) not much of a discount.

• Stayed June 2011
1 Thank SalisUK
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 27 June 2011

Big disappointment. Sought a four star in Torremolinos, found this hotel and booked online. I was trusting the positive comments - big mistake. The hotel has two parts the main part which is a solid three star and then there is the other place which is in the alley behind the hotel, a solid 1.5. No tolitries, room is cleaned once every three days, the toilet didn't work and all I got was sorry it will have to wait until tomorrow. The bed was harder that what I had in basic training and not much bigger. The only positive was I had access to the pool which was nice and gave me somewhere to go to get away from the slum. If you book this place then make sure you are in the main building. The service here is not charateristic of the area, I stayed in another two star and found the location, the quality and the service all superior to the Tropicana.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gerrypotter

Travellers are raving about these Torremolinos hotels

Haywards Heath, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 May 2011

Had a wonderful stay here with my Girlfriend, room was lovely, gorgeous view and a brilliant location! Staff were friendly and the breakfast was good! Would reccomend it to anyone looking for a relaxing beach break!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ChrisBrown83
Cairo, Egypt
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I would like to convey my compliance to the Manager in charge for Tropicana chain for my very bad experience at Toropicna see batch for the period 22-04-2011 till 26-04-2011 , as I booked three double rooms for myself and my relativeunder , following are couples of comments :

1. Hygiene: housekeeping reused the towels which throw on the batch floor once again , and when I did a complain at front office no action was taken until the nest day to change the dirty towels .
2. F&B: very bad manner and action from F&B staff , I did a complain for the very bad taste for the soft drink (Cola with no soda) , I challenge you if you can drink the juice and even no hot water available always for hot drinks!!! , and no replacement for any items run out from the buffet even the chider chess and when I complain about this point the staff answered that sorry because our chef is Skimpy and keen!!
3. Child club: what the mass it is , imagine that only one ice cream for a child whole day and if you need one more you have to got many excuses why you need one more!!
4. Swimming pool: vey dirty with no daily clean – just once at morning.
Do you want to know what the well trained and qualified staff response for the above complain , sorry we have a high capacity those days and we couldn't follow up all the matter!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 May 2011

On arrival was given room 201, which although on the website it says all rooms have a sea view this room looked at wall of next door hotel. When I asked to change room the very unhelpful male receptionist said it would cost me another 20 euros a night for a better room. The bathroom smelled very badly, the small balcony was covered in bird droppings and the air con was nothing short of pathetic and this particular member of staff was arrogant and unhelpful. I will certainly never stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011