We've returned to Torremolinos quite a few times in the last few years and have always liked the look of this hotel when we've passed it. I must admit we were a bit doubtful, having read some of the reviews, as the opinions vary a great deal. At £670 for 7 nights, it wasn't the cheapest stay we've had, and contrary to the 'you get what you pay for' cliché (which is neither true in every case nor helpful in any) and accepting the fact that the Spanish star ratings are never really comparable to those in this country, nevertheless, it appeared to be the best of a very variable bunch, so we booked. All I can do is recount our own experience - which was in the main positive.
We arrived at the hotel just before lunchtime. The reception area is very smart, the receptionists all well dressed and spoke perfect English. They were quick to deal with us, informing us that our room wasn't quite ready, but would be by one o'clock, and during that time we could deposit our cases in the private storeroom and go for lunch. He then asked for our passports, photocopied them on the spot and returned them. Now that is a welcome change from the norm: I don't like being separated from my passport when abroad, so full marks there. On return from our lunch, the room was ready as promised, and we were checked in without delay. We had asked for a room with double bed, sea view (described as 'lateral' sea view, as only the suites face the sea fully) on a high floor, on the side facing Benalmadena (to catch the afternoon sun.) We were given a room on the seventh (top) floor, facing Benalmadena, and was halfway along the corridor, with a lovely sea view. The only thing we didn't get was a double bed; instead two singles. But the very apologetic and helpful young guy on reception explained that all the rooms with double beds were on the opposite side of the hotel. We could hardly blame him for that, and accepted 3 out of four requests as a good result.
The corridor was smart and carpeted - so no 'clippety clop' as people passed by at night. The room itself was deserving of the four stars, if a little on the small side: it appeared to have been refurbished fairly recently, with new wardrobes and fittings. There was a small mini bar, with a price list; the prices quite reasonable.. There were no tea and coffee making facilities (though I've never seen those in Spanish resort hotels anyway.) The television had four English speaking channels - news mainly. The remote control wouldn't work properly, but on mentioning it to reception, was sorted out promptly. The mattresses were firm but good quality, not just hard blocks, and I had no trouble getting to sleep. The air conditioning is a central unit, the cool air being ducted to each room, assisted by a fan in the room unit. With the fan switched on, the air coming out of the unit was quite cool, despite my wife hearing someone in reception saying that the air conditioning wasn't working. The price for the safe was too high, in my opinion, at 2.85 euros per day - for a seven day stay that works out at 19.95 per week, plus a ten euro deposit. However, we've heard too many horror stories about thefts (though not in this hotel) to risk not using it. The room was cleaned to a good standard every day.
We only booked B & B, because we prefer to eat out at different restaurants/bars/ cafes each evening. At breakfast, there was plenty of choice for any taste. The food was good quality, and the chef at the cooked item counter made some lovely omlettes. The bacon was far better than we'd experienced at some hotels. The continental breakfast items were also very nice, good quality and replenished frequently.
Apart from at the weekend, there appeared to be plenty of sunbeds, and 'reserving' them with towels was discouraged by the hotel, but the rule seemed to be widely ignored, as most other rules in Spain are...
Accessing the beach directly from the hotel is via a security gate, operated by the room keycard, and takes you straight out to the promenade. The hotel is situated almost exactly in the centre of the Carihuela beach, two thirds of a mile to Benalmadena marina and the same from the rocky prominence at the Eastern end. There are plenty of restaurants, bars and cafes to choose from, all along it.
On checking out, the receptionist was as friendly and helpful as when we checked in, the deposit for the safe being returned without asking. All things considered, we had a very enjoyable stay - certainly no cause for complaint in our case.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A superior 4 star Hotel where the functional distribution of its spaces, with the sea as its protagonist, the decoration, with its strong personality, have all come together to give you an elegant, classical and functional Mediterranean Hotel. Located on the seafront, MS Amaragua looks out directly on to the Mediterranean and the pedestrian promenade of the traditional, infamous neighbourhood of the Carihuela, where the cultural cuisine of Pescaito frito (little fried fish) reaches its maximum expression. Only a couple of minutes walk away is the famous Benalmádena Marina, Puerto Marina. We have 275 rooms; of these 2 are luxury suites, 8 suites, 6 junior suites and 12 superior doubles. Restaurant, snack bar, swimming pool, lobby bar, conference and conventions halls, parking with 217 spaces, big outside swimming pool for adults and children, ample sun terrace, beach with direct access from the Hotel and the spa & fitness centre. 24 hour reception, press, left luggage, bellboy, room service, laundry service and rental service of bicycles, cars and motorbikes. CATERING To start the day, the Hotels restaurant, offers a complete and varied breakfast buffet with panoramic views of the Mediterranean . Enjoy the luminosity and relaxation at the swimming pool Bar La Ola, where Mediterranean cooking fuses with local cuisine and the after dinner drinks at sunset.Mens sana in corpore sano in the Health and Beauty Centre (SPA & Beauty Farm) the Hotel has at your service. The Hotel has on offer for its clients, an indoor climate controlled swimming pool, Jacuzzi, sauna, Turkish bath, gym, massages and an ample array of aesthetic treatments. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Jet2Holidays , Odigeo, LoveHolidays, TripOnline SA, Expedia, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your SENTIDO Amaragua reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Amaragua Hotel Torremolinos
- SENTIDO Amaragua Torremolinos, Costa Del Sol, Spain