“A Mixed Review”
Review of Hotel Riu Nautilus

Hotel Riu Nautilus
Ranked #3 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 30 May 2011

We were encouraged to book the Nautilus by the good reviews on Trip Advisor and we therefore arrived with quite high expectations. We left with mixed views.

LOCATION: Excellent. The hotel has a very attractive pool area which leads directly onto the promenade and beach where there is a plentiful supply of shops and restaurants. A five minute walk will take you to the Marina - well worth exploring. We had no problem finding a sun bed, although there were the usual folk who laid out towels and then disappeared for most of the day!

There is quite a mix of nationalities using this hotel, but the majority seemed to be German.

RECEPTION: We found the staff on Reception rather mixed and our initial impression of the hotel was not good as the young man who checked us in was not particularly welcoming and only offered us a drink as an after-thought. On subsequent visits to Reception we generally found the staff to be good humoured and helpful. The Reception area is quite large with comfortable chairs, but it seemed very dark, soulless and lacking ambience - as did the rest of the building.

ROOMS:- POSITIVES: The rooms are large, recently decorated and very clean with lots of storage and a fridge. We found the beds comfortable. NEGATIVES: The rooms are rather stark with two upright chairs. No tea and coffee facilities. Old style t.v.s with numerous channels, but only 2 British (BBC1 & News), pillows need replacement. Bathrooms: large with double sink, toiletries and hair dryer, but shower height not adjustable, poor lighting and the towels are thin and worn.

The vast majority of the rooms in this hotel are situated on the side, facing east or west so views are limited. Few are sea facing, and most of these rooms are suites. There are a number of rooms which directly face the pool area, which at least provides some form of view. We spoke to Reception about these rooms who informed us that all rooms in the hotel, apart from suites, were the same price. The room you are allocated is merely 'luck of the draw'.

RESTAURANT: The food at breakfast and dinner is good, freshly cooked and beautifully presented. Probably the best we've had in a Spanish hotel. The staff in the restaurant are efficient and friendly.

We were aware of the 2-sittings dinner arrangement before we arrived and the fact that you are allocated a table at dinner for the duration of your stay. What we were not prepared for was the cramped, crowded conditions in the restaurant. We were shown to a table on our first evening which was almost touching the next table. The waiter pulled it away slightly, leaving a gap of 6 inches, which meant we were now sitting in the aisle. For us this was totally unacceptable, embarrassing and certainly did not make for a quiet, relaxing and comfortable meal. We asked to be moved, but it was 3 nights before we were given a window table which had a little more room and privacy.

We later realised that about one third of the restaurant was not being used so the cramped conditions were really unnecessary. Also, the 2-sittings should be abandoned as this is restrictive and again, unnecessary - after all, there did not seem to be any problem accommodating people in the restaurant at breakfast - you take breakfast at a time to suit you and find your table yourself.

We booked our holiday directly with the hotel and what we paid represented reasonably good value for money. Would we go again? Only if we could be certain of a room in a specific part of the hotel (for which we would be prepared to pay a little extra) and a table in the window in the restaurant - or at least with a little more space around us. Unfortunately, we understand that the hotel would not be able to guarantee these requests.

Room Tip: Sea view or facing pool. High floor - street noise
9  Thank Dorsetview68

Reviewed 26 May 2011

Excellent staff. Smiles at reception with welome orange juice. Waiters and bar staff all helpful and speaking several languages. Food quite good but geared to German tastes and got boring after a few nights. (Problem of reserving sunbeds soved simply by waring notices that towels left unattended before 10am would be removed.)

Reviewed 24 May 2011

A beautifully maintained and very comfortable hotel on the border between Torremolinos and Benalmadena with ready access to the promenade and beach and Benalmadina Marina and associated moorish styled shopping parade.
The hotel common areas were immaculate and the Reception Lounge well provided with comfortable chairs or settees, coffee tables and lamps; a very relaxing atmosphere.
The Dining Room was beautifully dressed and the buffet counters aching with freshly prepared food. Hot food is served from grill counters and cooked in front of the guests.
The desserts were to die for!
The entertainment Lounge was very comfortable and the entertainment itself generally first class; only one duffer who was a replacement for the advertised act and who failed to connect his amplifier correctly.
Our room was large and very clean with immaculate bedding,plenty of wardrobe space with hangers; our bathroom was also spacious with double vanitory basins and a large marble worktop and wall to wall mirror. The housekeeping staff were very imaginative in their approach to bed making with my wifes nightdress beautifully laid out and dressed with fresh Bougainvillia blossom and sweeties.
The external terraces, gardens, sundecks and pool were immaculate throughout our stay.
Local Torremolinos bus stops were only 100m from the hotel with the Portillo bus services running on the main road about 500m from the hotel to Malaga, Fuengirolla, Marbella etc., all incredibly cheap.
A tip. There is a great flea market [car boot sale without cars] every week in Fuengirolla; ask to be off at the Ferria and the market is directly in front of you. The refreshment facilities here are diabolical but, when you are ready to move on into the town centre, look out for a beautiful little secluded cafe on your right as you walk down the main road, called Peppers and run by Nicola who serves freshly made scones with cream and the best cappucinos on the Costa all in a shady courtyard, known as Pueblo Lucia behind the main street facade. She is a bit worried about being off the main street so I said I would tell you all about her on my return.
All in all a great holiday with lots of places to visit very reasonably under your own steam and local bus services.
It is many years since we holdayed with so many Germans and Dutch visitors but nothing has changed. They still do not know the meaning of the word queue and trampelled over everyone to get on buses.
The same crowd were the only ones to ignore the clearly stated hotel rule not to reserve sunbeds by piling up tables, chairs and parasols and fastening them together with towels only to claim them some time later in the morning or even early afternoon.

David and Anna, Washington, Tyne & Wear.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with afternoon sun on the balcony.
4  Thank ItalianoWashington
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I stayed here with my father for a four night break in April. The location of this hotel is excellent right on the front with some excellent fish and seafood restaurants only a few minutes walk away. Benalmadina marina is only around 5 minutes walk away where there are top class restaurants and bars overlooking the beautiful marina. The food in the hotel is buffet style but is always fresh and hot with lots of choice. Rooms are comfortable, spacious and spotlessly clean. The only negative to this hotel is the entertainment or should I say distinct lack of it. There is nothing going on during the day at all and the evening entertainment was incredibly poor usually a male/female aging duet. The hotel is unsuitable for children, no entertainment or mini disco which was a real shame as there were some younger guests trying to have a little boogie to the evening and a mini disco for them am sure would have been warmly welcomed. All in all an excellent break for adults but unfortunately I wouldn't take my children which is such a shame as there was so much going on for them in the resorts.

• Stayed: April 2011
2  Thank TheCFamilyLancashire
Reviewed 3 April 2011

Being first holiday via flight (due to probs) alone, I was very nervous venturing abroad. However, staff (with exception of one) made me feel welcome and I found this hotel to be very comfortable and relaxing.
HOTEL: Spotlessly clean, comfortable. Spent evenings in either entertainment room with comfy chairs and of course my fave cocktails! Or in the foyer whilst reading/people watching. Wasn't brave enough to venture too far at night on own on this occasion.
Not child friendly though (which suited me). No balls/inflatables aloud in pool and no child entertainment. Only saw a few children whilst there. Internet available but costs.
ROOM: Spacious, view side pool/sea view wasn't ideal for me as was in the shade (however it was the 2nd room offered so felt obliged to take it) and I had emailed prior to holiday to request a sea/pool view- so disappointed at this. No radio alarm. Only CNN/World News/BBC1 English channels on TV. That said, didn't spend lots of time in room as wanted to make most of holiday.
STAFF: Most spoke good English. Very friendly and welcoming in restaurant (particularly head waiter) and in bar (offered to carry my cocktail for me). The management here have a main presence as they are always walking around both the building and the hotel grounds and speak regularly to their customers. I had reason to complain to manager about a rude male receptionist who after 10 mins of arriving upset me on 3 occasions - I asked for my bag to be taken to my room as I can't take the lift (claustrophobic). I was told he was on his own - but he didn't offer to sort it out when someone else was there. He was very rude and obnoxious to me. Also, on telling him I wasn't happy with my room view, he said I could go onto 7th floor if I like then I could see whole of Malaga! I told him ok if thats all he could offer. He knew I couldn't take the lift. Amazingly, I was given a room on the ground floor. It was the manager (I later learned) who actually took my bag to my room for me! The other problem was that there are two dinner sittings - expressing that 6 pm was too early to eat and that 7.45 was preferred was told it was full. I was more or less told I would have to eat at 6 first night. After persistence later with different member of staff, he spoke to head waiter and arranged it for me. Manager was brilliant and listened to my concerns.
RESTAURANT: Went half board and had lunch at bars locally overlooking beach. Very obvious that the team of chefs work very hard to provide fantastic food and displays for their guests. Every evening was different dishes-was an absolute pleasure to dine here. Head waiter very welcoming. Big disadvantage here is that table is allocated on arrival where you stay all week. Very embarrassing as in other diners space and vice versa. I had 3 foreign couples whilst there whom I couldn't speak to - very uncomfortable. In fact, this would certainly put me off booking into Riu hotel in future.
POOL: Comfy and clean. Didn't go in water. Noticed a hoist for those who couldn't climb into pool. LIfeguard acting as security also, as gate to prom isn't locked during the day. Sun goes off terrace/pool area at 6 pm end Feb and gets dark at 7.15 pm.
SURROUNDING AREA: Perfect location on the promenade which you can walk left for several miles and right the same. Lovely calm, clean, beaches and around them. Quiet people wise at this time of year. Told sea is always cold all year round.
Along the prom there are groups of ethnic minority guys selling handbags. They look intimidating but don't hassle you (unless you show interest in the bags). The sunglasses guys do try to sell them, but once you say no don't usually hassle.
There are plenty of seats along the prom for those who have difficulty walking and some are in shaded areas. The harbour just a few minutes walk away from the hotel is beautiful and has some designer shops, nice looking bars and restaurants.
TRIPS: Visited Gibraltar on a day trip and went up to the rock by minibus. The tame monkeys and St Michaels cave were enjoyable. Best to book in Viajes Placitour next door (with red and white sign) as probably cheaper (they call them the travel agents). Booked Nerja trip but was cancelled. Other trips available too.
Think I've covered everything! Have a nice holiday. Any further questions feel free to ask.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank bubblychick51
Reviewed 7 February 2011

We booked a week's holiday, online through Thomson, at the Riu Nautilus in Torremolinos. The hotel stands in a good position, right next to the beach and within walking distance (about five minutes in a leisurely stroll) from Benalmadena marina. Sadly, the weather could have been better, but our stay at this hotel more than compensated for it! All the staff were very attentive and friendly and the food in the dining room was excellent. Our room was spotlessly clean, and I reported one minor problem - the hairdryer did not work as well as I expected, and it had been replaced on our return a few hours later. Overall, an excellent holiday and I would not hesitate to recommend it.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JanisWestYorkshire
Reviewed 30 January 2011

Introduced my parents to Riu for the first time and, as expected, they loved it.

Friendly welcome with cava, staff caring and helpful throughout, especially in the restaurant.

Nice rooms, great bathrooms.

As I've found with Riu before, the standard of food is excellent for a 'holiday hotel'. High quality, good choice, always a few special dishes prepared on the spot. Cocktail before the theme night was a nice touch and gave things a sociable feel. Ma has to eat gluten-free and was exceptionally well looked after by the head waiter. They even brought her gluten free breads at breakfast - and breakfast was a plesant experience, though it often isn't in holiday hotels.

The hotel enjoys a superb location right on the beach promenade, which was just perfect for a stroll around the marina and - best of all - a gentle 15 minute stroll to the lovely Carihuela beach and its shops and cafés in the streets behind.

Given it was December, the heated outdoor pool was a bonus (although there weren't not many others braving the water).

Evening the evening entertainment wasn't bad when we watched the flamenco show.

A few fun, cheap bars right behind the hotel are worth a visit.

Has to be the best hotel in the area, and we got a great price accommodation only through Thomson.

Would recommend to anyone.

Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family