“Vive la indifference”
Review of Hotel Riu Nautilus

Hotel Riu Nautilus
Ranked #4 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 16 March 2013

I stayed in a Riu in Nerja over the New Year and someone told me there was a good Riu in Torremolinos. I checked Tripadvior and that confirmed the comments. Since I had a free week at the beginning of March and wanted some time to work on a new book I’m writing, I went off to the Riu Nautilus.

The hotel has just been refurbished. The rooms are in two tones – grey and white with purple curtains, seat covers, and bed covers. The room not particularly big, but adequate. Public rooms are attractive and everything is shiny new.

The dining room is very cramped even though there are two sittings, but the buffet style breakfast and evening meal provide both plentiful and good food.

However, my stay was not entirely enjoyable. Riu is famed for its friendly and helpful staff. That did not extend to the Nautilus. When I arrived at 8pm I handed over my Riu card to the guy on reception, I got a less than warm reception. I said I’d requested a room with a view and was told my room did have a view. It was 8.05 and I was told I had ten minutes to get to dinner. At dinner I wondered round lost until a waiter led me to a table (at other Riu’s there were often people to greet diners),.

Anyway, after dinner I went to my room. No view. It was on a low floor (I’d asked for a high one and even emailed the hotel). It was facing another building a few feet away. Hard to imagine something worse. Reception told me it was too late to change but they’d note my details.

I went back the next day. The receptionist had a similar unwelcoming style and said they’d let me know when something came up. I never did hear from them again. I was also told that all rooms were the same and yet I heard some tourists complaining that they’d been give rooms with showers and not baths. I myself had a shower in spite of having a booking reference that clearly stated a room with a bath.

On the last night I went to pay my bill and they wouldn’t let me pay until the dining room closed several hours later. I explained that I hadn’t had anything to drink – but that didn’t help (I was leaving early the next morning and wanted to pay before going to bed). On another occasion when I asked about shopping my question was answered in a remarkably cold and terse way. A least welcoming place I can’t imagine.

I’ve been to few hotels where all my contacts with reception were so uniformly negative – and it’s certainly never happened at a Riu. This is one place I am not likely to return to, and a place where the consensus seems to be at odds with my experience. Curiously, I did meet someone here who told me that she’d been before, and said that the changes has not all been for the better.

Note that I've given my room a very good rating. The room itself is ok. I don't like the location. It may even suit some people. My problems were almot entirely with the indiference of the staff.

Room Tip: Not facing another building a few feet away
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
17  Thank ProfessorClements

Reviewed 14 March 2013

This is our 4th visit to the hotel. The weather was not too good during our stay 3 to 10 March. The hotel has been very well refurbished and I agree with the other comments about the reception area and its seating which is modern but not at all comfortable. The new shower is excellent but the downside is no bath. The staff are as pleasant as ever and the choice of food and quality is excellent. The new pool and outside area looks very impressive. One comment I would make is that a lady had her bag stolen from the pool area which was rather upsetting for everyone. Anyone can come in and out of the grounds from the promenade as there is no security gate in operation as with other hotels in the riu group where we have stayed where you swipe your card or put in a pass number, here though there are keys to the rooms and no swipe card. So the security could be improved. Also when one comes in through the main doors you do not pass directly in front of reception so anyone could wander down to the annexe of the hotel unnoticed. Other than that a very pleasant experience and no doubt we will return. Incidentally we were also overcharged on our drinks bill.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor in a room overlooking the pool, front facing, I would recommend this positi...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Linjohn1
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We were some of the first to sample the Riu Nautilus after its multi million euro update arriving on the 1st of March. The reception area is much more welcoming with a bright purple/grey theme, however the seating is not very comfortable and not conducive to relaxing in which is a pity since the weather we experienced that week was the worst we have ever known on the Costa del Sol. We had a room on the second floor in the annex overlooking the impressive new infinity pool area but the weather prevented us from enjoying it. The room was decorated in a purple/white theme with a large new bed,flat screen television and an impressive walk in shower. There was a good choice for evening meals and breakfast,and the staff were particularly attentive. Unfortunately during the first week of reopening there was no advertised evening entertainment so we went out most evenings. We will return again hopefully to enjoy the magnificent pool area in better weather.

Room Tip: In the annex overlooking the pool or in the main block looking towards the marina to catch the after...
Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Victor J
Reviewed 12 March 2013

This newly renovated hotel is now very stylish. This may not suit everyone as there is a certain amount of style over comfort/amenity. The lobby was very impressive, very minimalist but as previously stated some of the chairs were for show and not comfort. The bedrooms likewise were lovely but the chairs,again,were functional dining chairs and not for relaxing and looking out to sea in. There is masses of storage space and a huge T.V.The picture on the T.V. was poor but we left that for the next person to sort! The lighting was excellent but the beds rather hard for our liking.The shower was large and there are two basins. Yes, the towels could be nicer but I assumed that the new stock had not yet arrived.
The food couldn't be faulted in any way- the choice and quality was superb. The staff were very pleasant,conscientious, and could not do enough for you. There are two sittings and you keep the same table for dinner but can use any table for breakfast.
Unfortunately the weather was unseasonably poor so we couldn't use the outdoor pool but it looked nice. Very impressive was the indoor pool,jacuzzi, steam room and gym. All newly renovated and free. We spent a lot of our time there and the lady on reception is delightfully pleasant.
I found that there were a few irritating niggles. Reception had been e mailed by me a week before we arrived but they said they hadn't read all their e mails as they had not been open long. This meant that we didn't get a double bedroom facing the evening sun. We got a twin facing the morning sun - and there wasn't any! The heating was on when we got there and worked very well throughout our stay. We didn't need the air con!
Because of the minimalist look of reception there was no information about anything to hand. No car hire,weather forecast,information on places to visit,prices etc. We don't usually like bothering reception too much but had to ask for everything.
We cashed a travellers cheque early in the week with no bother,but when we tried to cash one on the Saturday, they said they couldn't do it. When we pointed out that one had already been cashed, they suggested that either we find a bank (all closed on Saturdays) or wait for the following day and try another member of staff. We left on the Sunday after scraping together enough Euros to pay the drinks bill, for which we were overcharged by about 6 Euros.

We visited Malaga twice which was very pleasant with lots to see. Fuengirola Bioparc,a lovely day. The Butterfly house (make sure it is sunny when you go or they wont fly!) The Buddhist Temple and Paloma Park as well as walking till I had blisters on blisters up and down the flat seafront.
I only give four stars because of the mix up over the drinks bill and the travellers cheques. I don't know what we would have done if we had not have had the cash to pay on the Sunday as we didn't have a plastic card with us.Perhaps travellers cheques are past their sell by date now and we need to check that each individual hotel will take them.
All in all a stunning renovation,wander into the Pez Espada for comparison and then take your pick!

Room Tip: Go for the West side, evening sun in cooler months. The East side if you don't want too much hea...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Tigermoo
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Hotel Riu Nautilus was totally renovated during the winter 2012/2013. We had the honor to be among the very first guests (re-opening 1st of March). The main colours used in the hotel decor are purple/lilac, gray and white. The furniture in the lobby area might look trendy but the chairs are not very comfortable to sit for a long time.

Our room was in the side building, 3rd floor, very nice view to the pool and the sea (no sun on the balcony which is not a problem for us). The room was spacey enough, very good bed, large wardrobe, walk-in shower.

The main reason for us to choose this hotel was the good reputation of the kitchen and we were not disappointed. Excellent choice of dinner and lovely breakfast.

The hotel has a new spa area with various treatments (fitness room, indoor pool and jacuzzi free of charge). In the lobby there are two computers (Internet connection with coins), you can also buy a code for wifi. Before the hotel used to have a billiard table and darts but they were not re-installed (yet ??). We didn't follow the evening entertainment so no opinion for that. Riu Nautilus is now an “adults only” hotel and during our stay the most customers seemed to be 60+ of age.

The absolute top of this hotel is the staff. Everyone of them, cleaning ladies, receptionists, barmen, staff of the restaurant... so friendly and truly welcoming, wanting to make the clients happy.

For any future stay in Torremolinos we don't have to hesitate about choosing a hotel, it will be Riu Nautilus for sure.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Anne H
Reviewed 10 March 2013

Just spent a week at the newly refurbished RIU Nautilus.Hotel looks fantastic-love the new purple/grey modern colour scheme.Some of the more traditional clients may not approve!Rooms are improved-fantastic new beds which are very comfortable.New flat screen tv's in all rooms.Fantastic new facility of in door pool,sauna,jacuzzi and treatment rooms.Had a lovely relaxing hot stone massage.Only suggestion I would have is to open earlier than current time of 10.00 am.My only criticism would be that the towels have not been upgraded-nice new shower which is great,would have been better if new fluffy white towels had been provided instead of old brown ones.As always the staff were very accommodating and friendly.I will definitely be returning in the warmer months to experience the new outdoor seating area and lovely infinity pool-all based on a Balinese theme-looks very impressive

Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends
6  Thank Jane H
Reviewed 30 December 2012

well we arrived at this hotel.....greeted by a drink....fantastic
sadly i had not booked a seaview or pool view room......9memo to self for future to do so)...this was not a problem they reallocated us a room with a side sea view room.....(slight noise from apartments opposits on occasion )
the room was huge......spacious beautifully decorated n had a/c and a ceiling fan

the pool area was large....the pool clean ...some of the tiles needed replacing and it needed moderninsing but while i write this the grounds are being redisigned and a new pool installed so my comments do not matter.....there were plenty of umbrellas.......disabled access to the pool the staff never hid the fact that the pool area needed re doing in fact kept us informed of the fact that that was the plan

spa treatments were fab i had a massage n other treatments the staff were fantastic

direct access to the prom and the beach from the hotel..... 5mins walk to benalmadena marina on the right n a nice long walk the other way on the left

now the food
they had 2 sittings...we chose the second....first i have to say im a fussy eater....the restaurant manager n staff were fantastic they would come to the tanle introduce the chef...he offered to cook what ever i wanted if i had special needs....which i didnt because i could eat everything there......we couldc not fault the restaurant at all..............
if i visited torremolinos again then yes we would definately stay here

all staff in the hotel were politw n very helpful

on day of departure the manager came out to say goodbye chatting with us all until the bus came to collect us.......he looked forward to our next visit in the newly revamped hotel

in total a pleasure to stay here........

Room Tip: book a pool view or seaview......dont forget like i did lol
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple