“Friendly staff,lovely room,food could be better - but it is an All Inclusive type hotel.”

ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol
Ranked #14 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
Middlesex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

My husband are just back from a 5 day break at the Riu Belplaya. we booked in January when all the reviews said how wonderfull the hotel, service etc was. As said in other reviews the hotel seems to have slipped down due to the All Inclusive tarrif now operating. That said it was our first visit and although not anything really to rave about we did enjoy our break. I think we would have struggled to enjoy it if we were there more than a week as the food was repeatative and seemed to get worse as the week went on.
Good points are the room we had was lovely on the 7th floor with sea view,very clean and not noisey. The staff I would say 80% of them are polite and friendly although one or two did spoil it. Good location right across from beach and near shops.
Bad points the indoor pool was nice but spoilt but loud,screaming,excited children (not the childrens fault but an age restriction of say over 16 years would help make this area more pleasant for people wanting to relax and perhaps introduce a childrens indoor pool ) Animation work hard but could improve what was on offer. Still a nice mini break that we made the most of.
We would probably not return but then we like to try different places anyway.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (964)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Solihull
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

Having read the recent reviews and having stayed at this hotel a few times now over the the last couple of years, I feel it is only right to state my feelings!

Firstly, many RIU hotels on mainlands cannot be compared to those on the Caribbean Islands or indeed any 'exoctic island'. There tends to be a whole world of difference at times - just look in the brochures, that should tell it all - pre plannng !!!! And read T/A !!!!

Reception staff are very attentitive, helpful, and polite at all times, never been different from our visits.

Lifts, yes two, but rarely do you have to wait a minute or two!!

Food - Quality still very good, at times excellent, especially the carvery, but have to admit, slightly less choice this time, but something I would imagine to please all their guests and their dietary needs - we never heard a moan!

Restuarant - I can only assume those who have complained travelled Easter or just before, because we arrived Easter Sunday, and there was no problem whatsover - choice of tables, no queues, no problem as I say, nice and really relaxing!!!

Noise - What noise, we were in the main block and never heard a murmur - like before, a nice quiet hotel!!

The only critisism I would have is the drinks, the white wine on tap, disgusting, cucumber water or not ?? It was gross and the spirits for A/I were poor.

Apart from the drinks, the hotel was excellent, standards of cleanliness were as good ever, guests were polite as usual, so can only assume, those who have complaints, unfortunately chose the wrong week.

In closing, if we felt a hotel deserved critisism, my wife and I being in the Travel Industry for years would speak out, because we feel it is only right fellow travellers should know,
however we do feel it is only right to be honest in our reviews, whether they be positive or negative about a hotel - in this case, we feel it is a good hotel, not perhaps for all, but for most.

1 Thank ACESolihull
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

How anyone can give this hotel a good rating is beyond me. First of all the hotel is very dated and really needs modernising, the furniture is scuffed and the beds may aswell be ironing boards. The food is terrible, especially if you are a vegetarian - I simply would not recommend the all inclusive for any vegetarian as they even put bacon in the veg! Regardless of dietary requirements the food is very repetitive and of poor quality. The bar is very dated and the entertainment is poor. Some rooms are located on the next to the bar terrace which is bad for anyone wanting an earlier night than the 'last man standing' as it gets very noisy until late. The pool is freezing and the pool bar smells of sewage. The hotel is literally FULL of OAPs, with the odd family, younger couple, hen party. The area itself is very boring with very little (if anything) to do.

Positive - the staff were friendly but this doesn't compensate for the exceptionally poor hotel overall.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Kalba23
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2011

This is a far cry from the Riu we know and love. It was our first stay in Riu Belplaya, and probably the last one as well. We stayed at other Riu hotels in Mexico, and will soon stay at one of the Riu Palace in Jamaica. We really love Riu, so we thought the Riu Belplaya would be something similar. But we were mistaken. The only thing we really enjoyed was the beautiful views of both mountain and sea from the balcony on the ninth floor room.
The lifts are very sloooow, only two of them and it takes a long time for them to come and then a long time to take you all the way up. The rooms are cleaned every day and the cleaners do their job very well.
Food choice was rather poor in comparison with other Riu hotels. The vegetables did not look too fresh, every time they looked like they were left overs from the previous day.
The drinks at the bar were awful, the so-called cocktails were appalling. When I complained about the Copacabana cocktail, which didn't taste at all like the Copacabana I know so well, they showed me a 'prepared bottle' which they receive and all they do is mix it with ice. It did not taste like coconut at all, in fact it tasted like cheap 'exotic' drinks you buy from the supermarket. The chief barman even had the guts to tell me that the same cocktails can be made out of different ingredients in different Riu hotels. I let it drop and drank Coca cola from the self serving machines for the remaining of our stay.
There are many things I could say, I try not to be too negative and I will say the best thing of our stay was the beach, the sun and our long evening walks along the beach of Torremolinos. However, it is very unlikely we will ever return to Riu Belplaya.

2 Thank Tootancommon
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2011

we have just stayed here for a week on the first night 24th april 2011 we went down to dinner and had a couple of drinks ,during this time our room was robbed and all the cash we had took on holiday was taken, this also happened to 2 other couples on the same night.
the thomson rep ALEX was awful she didnt offer any help to any of us .
during our stay 8 other people were robbed the hotel said this had never happened before? i would not recommend this hotel to anyone

Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
3 Thank sarah2613
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2011

Stayed for a week started off well... we stayed before the main season started on the 1.6.11. No where to sit at night, sent to bed at 12. Full of OAP's. Nothing for children or adults to do. Weak alcohol measures. At the time we stayed 11 people had money or items stolen out of their room such as petty change and police were reguarly in the hotel. GET A SAFE and put everything in it. It was suspected it was the maids. The manager is terrible all the staff look sad and you feel guilty asking for a drink. the measures were weakneded down and the food sometimes cold. I really would not recommend this place as it seemed to ruin alot of peoples holidays. I have never wrote a review before but i felt the need to. Wristbands get cut off at 12 so if you have a mightnight flight like me and my partner you could not drink or eat after breakfast. entertainment was awful! and no activties to do when it rained for half of the week.
Overall bad managament, poor service, they seem money orientated and on giving you the bare minimum on food and drinks and lack of security leads to a worrying uncomfortable stay at the costa lago hotel!!!!

Room Tip: stay somewhere else!
3 Thank Hayley211
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2011

I stayed for 5 nights, April 22-27, 2011. I chose this hotel, since it was affordable (booking about 2-3 weeks prior to Easter--high season time), there were still rooms available, and it got nice reviews on TripAdvisor; plus, I love spending time in Spain.

Service: very friendly, helpful, and English-speaking staff. In short: excellent customer service! Nice and considerate cleaning personnel. too.

Room: nice, clean (cleaned daily), spacious (at least for me as a solo traveler!), nice balcony, nice bathroom. There's a safe in one of the closets. My room faced the pool area, which got a bit noisy in the evenings/nights from young adult party'ers. TV with BBC World, CNN as well as Spanish, French, German, Dutch, and Russian TV channels. Though other reviewers said the beds were hard, the matress was perfect for me--neither too soft, nor too hard. From the balcony (3rd floor, at the end of the hallway; room 354), I could see the ocean. All rooms and inside the hotel, there's a non-smoking policy. People tend to smoke outside, where the restaurant lies. (Perhaps the guests staying in rooms near the restaurant may experience noise and cigarette smoke. I was fortunately given a room farthest away from the restaurant area.)

Location: There's a busstop across the street from the hotel. I didn't use it, however, I used the local train almost every day. It's a 10-minute walk (I usually walk in a fairly quick pace) to La Colina station and VERY easy to find--even for one, who lacks a sense of direction (me). The train is really convenient. It's about a 7-minute ride to the airport (about 1.40 euros), approx. 20 minutes to Malaga Central station (1.55 euros), a few minutes less to Maria Zambrano Station, from which trains to other cities of Spain depart/arrive, and the main bus station is a couple minutes' walk away. It's a pleasant 25-30+ minute walk along the beach to Torremolinos town. Though Torremolinos is very touristy (a bit too much for my taste), it was easy to use 'my' hotel as a base and take day trips to Malaga and Granada from there. The beach is 4-5 minutes' walk from the hotel. A nice beach, too.

Amenities: The pool was large, looked really nice and inviting, flanked with numerous lounging chairs. There's a pool bar too, open if weather permits (i.e. closed if too cold and raining). Nonetheless, I didn't swim in the pool, since it was way too cold for me (I'm used to tropical ocean temperatures). Some kids did splash around in it. I didn't see a fitness center; though there are tennis courts. There's a small souvenir shop and a hairdresser. There are 3-4 computers with internet access--normal fast speed. As of end of April 2011, 12 minutes = 1 euro; 30 minutes = 2 euros. In a room extending from the bar (not the pool bar), there's a small bookshelf, where you can find a few books in English, Danish, Dutch (I think), German, French and I seem to recall, Spanish, too.

Food: There's a large restaurant serving food buffet-style. Though one can purchase wine a la carte, the cheapest bottle of red wine being 14 euros. Since I had bought an all-inclusive deal, I had access to the buffet's food, soft drinks, wine (white, red, rosé), juice, water, beer, coffee and tea (latter 2 available for breakfast only, as far as I could see). For me, the red wine was not too far from being vinegar. I only tasted the red wine the first day. So whether the red wine was later changed to the more drinkable version, I do not know. I didn't dare taste the white or rosé wines, nor the beer. I don't drink soda pop and only juice on rare occasions, so I don't know whether these (also) were watered down. Even sangria in the bar was awful and undrinkable (not sure about other cocktails that were offered. Something really has to taste bad for me not to eat/drink it.) To be fair, the food was catered to families with (small) kids; most guests being from England, Ireland, the Netherlands, Germany, Denmark, Spain, and France, as far as I could tell; hence the food was not very Spanish and, granted, needed to be edible for a wide range of palates. Personally, I found the food rather bland and boring, and consequently would never choose this hotel for the food, so do not expect to have a gourmet experience here. I must say, though, that the raw ingredients used seemed to be of ok quality. Still, I was utterly disappointed, since I love the Spanish cuisine, and, well, I guess even chorizo and manchego cheese were too expensive to serve as well as good, drinkable wine (e.g. Rioja). (Yes, there was an ok gazpacho, a dry tortilla de patata, a good rice pudding for dessert, yummy homemade-like plain yoghurt.)

In summary, the hotel is nice and clean, though a bit too large-scale for me (about 250 rooms). It's conveniently located near the beach, train station (La Colina St.), bus stop, restaurants, and shops. The staff are great. As more of a backpacker-type of traveller, I wouldn't stay at this hotel again, however for families with (small) kids and for young adults/party-goers, I imagine this would be a great place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo