“rules”

ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol
Ranked #11 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 10 July 2014

the hotel has rules which seem to apply only to the brits like only long trousers in the dinning room , the dinning room had dust on the surfaces which must have been there for weeks, the food was ok the entertainment was terrible I would not go back they want our money but they don't like the brits and treat you as second class people

Room Tip: get one in the side of the hotel that is only four flights high
5  Thank lesley60wales

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We booked this after staying in a RIU in Hammamet, Tunisia, we didn't even wanted a holiday in Malaga specifically just an all inclusive RIU, however we were very disappointed. They don't even use electronic key cards for the room but instead the ancient normal keys, even the hotel I've stayed in Gran Canaria in 2000 had electronic key cards. I don't know where the fellow reviewers had been eating but you don't need to be a Master Chef to realize there's just not enough variety of food and it's not properly cooked. It always lacked salt too. Staff were mostly friendly but the two guys at reception at night weren't very helpful when I needed a second key to my room and the bar staff were quite surly for my taste, but obviously they were in high stress but it's their work after all.
I ended up leaving this hotel with an odd feeling because what I saw was obesity seekers (which already showed physically) but paying no attention to the quality of what they were eating, the motto would be if it's food it's ok. I was there for the open bar too but hated the atmosphere. The poor guy did his best but it was a depressing atmosphere after all. The pool area was particularly suffocating with lots of people when you consider the actual size of the place and the swimming pool is too small too with lots of children. I don't understand either how would you not go the beach instead, just in one minute walk, much more natural and healthier but watch out because it was very windy when I was there, I don't know if this is usual in Torremolinos but it seemed like.
Make sure you use the train, ask the reception staff for directions. It's 1.75 € or 2 €, depending on location, one way. I recommend you visit the picturesque villages of Fuengirola and Benalmadena and the main city, Malaga but instead on getting out on the last station in Malaga get out in Malaga, Maria Zambrona station, where you'll be at the center of the city and on a nice mall with a Massimo Dutti with great prices if you are in mood for shopping as I was.
The promenade is nice, I guess if you like walking in same place everyday you'll become a fan. I preferred to explore the places around by train.
I want to thanks ALICIA at the reception who was the most helpful, friendly and patient lady when I needed to print the boarding passes.
A big thanks for ELENA and some other(s) girl(s) for cleaning my room so perfectly.
The guests are the usual mixture of Spanish, German, British, French and Italians.
When booking I stated I wanted swimming pool / sea view rooms, however this was not attended not even mentioned though I was much happier with the rooms I got with a street view which were much more silent and private. You should know that if you are given a swimming pool view room you'll have a huge crowd sunbathing and children screaming view sometimes straight in front of your room's veranda. Be careful with that.
If you have stayed in a RIU hotel before you'll not be pampered as you're made used to in your previous stays at RIU hotels but I guess for first time RIU visitors you'll enjoy it.
I was told this hotel (Luca Costa Lago) was bought by RIU owners some time ago but I guess they made absolutely no improvements whatsoever and there are still some references about the previous hotel. The main RIU hotel is just in front of this one but you can't use their facilities, it's called RIU Belplaya. From the outside it seems much better.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank 2DD2
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Spent 2 weeks at this hotel and enjoyed every minute. The reception staff were really friendly and couldn't do enough for us. Food was always hot and enough choice to find lots to eat. Like the idea of keeping the same table for evening meal each night. Bedrooms were spotless, cleaned every day and towels were changed even if you didn't leave them on the floor to be changed. Bar staff and restaurant staff were friendly too. Even the evening entertainment was watchable.
We stay round the pool every day because my partner has difficulty walking far and we got a sunbed very easy, there were stacks of them dotted around the pool. There were people putting towels on the beds from 6.30 a.m not because you couldn't get one but because they wanted "their favourite spot" every day. Pool towels were available from reception and you could change them as often as required.
The only things I could find fault with was, water from the dispensers didn't taste nice - but you could get a bottle from the main bar when open. Plus the shower and hair dryer weren't very powerful.
Didn't think torremolinos prom was as clean as other resorts.
Would definitely return to this hotel especially if they provided free wifi.

Room Tip: If you want a quiet room make sure you email the request to them as some of the rooms are near to en...
1  Thank 1947Jackie
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Good value hotel. Food quality was also good, found the female staff very friendly unlike 85 percent of the male staff who I found to be quite rude. I had the impression that male staff didn't like the Brits much and noticed they served all other nationalities at the bar before they served us. There didn't seem to be a lot of room around the pool so myself and my partner frequented the beach each day, the cost was 6 euros a day for 2 sun loungers and a parasol(which included a thick mattress which was very comfy) All in all a very nice chilled holiday and we would definitely go back again

9  Thank Nita S
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Really warm welcome to the hotel. Big clean room which was cleaned daily with great air conditioning and balcony. we requested and got adjoining rooms which was great.
The pool area was really nice but in the morning the water was freezing but warmed up throughtout the day
The all inclusive food and drink was amazing. Great variety of things to eat everyday something different at dinner everyday. And as my friend is a coeliac there was food available for her. The bar staff where really friendly and got to know us slightly to well with the amount of times we went up.
The Activites where fab we did Aquafit and bowls and then the evening entertainment was good most nights. The activiites staff where really friendly and welcoming
I would definetly recommend the hotel and surrounding area

Room Tip: nice having a room overlooking the pool avoid staying near a lift as they make loud noises
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Kiera W
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Spent a week in this hotel. The minute we got off the bus we were handed a glass of Cava which was a lovely welcome. Reception staff are very friendly and can't do enough. Food was top notch - a huge selection and everyone catered for from babies to older guests. Entertainment was excellent. Did water aerobics with Brian and it was such a laugh. He is excellent at his job. The girl that was with him during the day and night time (sorry cannot remember her name) was so good with both young and older guest and again was excellent at her job. The bar staff were friendly but at night time you had to watch them as we saw them a few times just putting coke into our drinks when we asked for Bacardi! I left my driving licence and some other documentation in the room and found it difficult in trying to get them back as they wanted me to send a courier to collect which could have cost me a lot of money. The last time I phoned the hotel they were supposed to call me back but didn't. Also the last time I emailed they didn't reply to my email which I think was a bit of bad form. However I managed to get a friend to collect my documentation. Overall I would recommend staying in the Hotel . I do however think that their customer services/aftercare standards could be improved.

Room Tip: Our room was 4th floor overlooking the pool, great location. Look for a room right over the pool an...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Fitzmurph
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Myself and a friend wanted a bargain girlie holiday just for a few nights, we chose this hotel firstly, because of the price and secondly due to the transfer time. The whole holiday cost just over £220 all inc for 3 nights, 4 days. Excellent value. The transfer from the airport was only 10 minutes. We just hopped in a taxi which was 20 euro's. There is a train which I believe is excellent and stops near most of the hotels. The hotel itself was lovely. Yes the rooms are a little dated but very clean and they have everything you need, hair dryer, air conditioning etc. The food really was excellent and whilst it seems like carnage when you first go into the restaurant it really wasn't. In fact it's quite entertaining watching people in there! We only wanted to stay by the pool during the day which was lovely and quiet. The bar opened at about 1030/1100 by the pool. There was a fab self service bar where you could get beer p, wine sangria, soft drinks and a coffee machine. I would say that this isn't a particular family orientated hotel due to the little rule sheet given at the beginning if your stay which states no inflatables. We had no children so wasn't an issue for us. I believe this hotel has a sister hotel close by which is geared up more for families. Stunning views as you are so close to the sea. Would definitely return as it was convenient, clean, good food and drinks and great value for money. Lovely relaxing holiday.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends