“family holiday 2014”

Ranked #14 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
scunthorpe
“family holiday 2014”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

very clean well run hotel.we was family of 5 with 21 month old grandson.we email hotel for rooms together and got our request rooms 405 and 406 they had a good sea view.rooms was very spacious and very clean.the buffet restaurant was very good food good with good selection.there was not a problem wearing smart shorts at evening meal.evening meal was split into 2 sittings .we asked for first sitting at 7 oclock and and was allocated table for whole holiday.2 nd sitting starts at 8.45.never a problem with sunloungers.allways found enough .DONT BUY INFLATABLE AIRBEDS FOR POOL.YOU WILL BE TOLD NOT TO USE THEM.ALSO NOT ALLOWED BALL GAMES IN POOL.the entertainment bar is far to small for the size of hotel.and the bar staff don't take notice of people waiting.they serve who they like.also if you have babies there is no baby changing facilities on the complex.we had to go back to room all the time.personally I think the hotel is more suited for coulpes rather than families

Room Tip: pool view rooms prob quietest.annex noisy from air con units sea view rooms noisy from outside bars
3 Thank bigtt56

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,037)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed in a family room, all inclusive at the Costa Lago for 11 nights end July, early August 2014.

I shall start my review, with my overall view - this is a good, value for money tourist class hotel and the resort is very pleasant.

The hotel is spotlessly clean and I found all of the staff helpful.

Room. Our family room was in effect split into two by the bathroom. This gave my wife and I a degree of privacy from the children, which was excellent. The room size was good, it was spotlessly clean and the two single beds pushed together, were fairly comfortable. The maid service was daily and very good. On the negative side, the walls are thin and if you have noisy neighbours, you will be kept awake at night. The bathroom was a little tired and the aircon cannot be controlled within the room. This was a bit of an issue, as it was always slightly too hot or too cold and never just right.

Facilities. We stayed at a time when I think the hotel was pretty much full. There were enough sunbeds to go round, just. I did get up at 7am to compete with the Germans and therefore we pretty much did get the beds we wanted each day. I don't condone reserving sunbeds, but unfortunately at this level of holiday, it seems to be a fact of life. The pool was clean and of adequate size, again just. From time to time there was no prospect of swimming, as it was very full, but the kids loved it and for a quick dip to cool off, it was fine. There is a kids club, which our children seemed to enjoy and the evening entertainment, for a hotel of this size and class, was okay - quite good on occasion.

All inclusive. Small cups and glasses from the bar and the various taps of beer, wine and soft drinks around the hotel, but no issue at with re-filling, or in terms of service from the bar even when busy. The Beer is good - Cruz Campo and the wine and spirits included in the all inclusive are okay, again just. We did stray into the pay bar from time to time though. The restaurant was okay. The staff were excellent, but it was busy - very busy from time to time. The food choice overall was good and always piping hot (where appropriate). Generally, a meal could be put together from the evening buffet, but there were a couple of nights where I would rather have eaten out and I'm not that fussy. Breakfast and lunch were fine throughout. The restaurant staff were excellent. My only real criticism of the all inclusive plan is that lack of snacks available for the children. Ice lollys and ice creams weren't available at all, paid for or not. Outside of the restaurant times, there were cakes late afternoon and peanuts from the bar, but that's it.

The final negative point I make is the lack of wifi in the rooms. I don't mind paying for it - 1 euro for 30 mins, but in this day and age, I don't expect to have to sit in reception to access my email. And yes, I'm sure many people don't want wifi when away, but I had to stay in touch with the office, so for me this was an issue.

We had a fab time overall. I have stayed at RIU properties before on and this hotel is not up to the standards I have enjoyed previously from RIU, but it is a great deal cheaper and it really is very good value for money. I guess I would summarise it as a good, higher end tourist class hotel.

Finally First Choice / Thomson / Tui, our tour operator. When we booked, we had no idea that our flight would be sub-contracted to Jet 2. That meant we could not pre-book our seats or check in online or print boarding cards until 2 days before departure and only then after I had contacted customer service. Worse still, the return flight check in could only be done and boarding cards printed 3 days before our return, which meant sorting it in resort. Fortunately, I had a laptop with me and the hotel kindly agreed to print the boarding cards, but that's really a bit rubbish First Choice / Thomson / Tui !!! And having looked around the internet you have know this is an issue for a number of years. Jet 2 themselves, no issue at all. Clean, modern aircraft, generous baggage allowance and on time.

If you are looking for a good tourist class hotel on a budget, with a reasonable all inclusive plan, I would recommend the hotel. We may well return...

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank Nik H
derby
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Wow we loved it here and we had so much fun.

The weather was hot hot hot, and the hotel was great.

Food ok but you get all the same in all inclusives, unless you go 5*

Rooms clean we stayed in a family room and it was ok.

Didn't really see any entertainment as we found a couple of english bars just outside the hotel so went there most nights just to sit and chill and watch the world go by.

Staff lovely and friendly, if i was to go back here i would stay again, pity the Wifi is not free, this is another reason we went to the bar across road as it was free!!

Maryport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

Just returned from a fantastic 10 day stay with 6 adults and 6 kids. From the minute we arrived (greeted with cava for the adults and orange juice for the kids) until the minute we checked out we had a genuinely lovey time. All of the staff from the reception to the bar staff to the cleaners and Brian and Maria (the fantastic entertainment team) were so friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. We would definitely recommend to anyone who is looking for a family friendly, extremely clean hotel with lovely food and drink in a great setting.

• Stayed August 2014
3 Thank Markmumbo
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 14 August 2014

In this review you will find somewhat subjective but true and honest opinion from a trusted contributor reviewer.
It is clearly a hotel not a holiday review so regardless of how great or bad our holiday was our rating relates strictly to the hotel so our holiday experiences didn’t affect the fact how we rated hotel. We hope you find our review helpful and informative.

After reading in some previous comments that this hotel is like a care home, we were a bit shocked because it was more like a nursery :) when we stayed there.

First of all to say, this hotel doesn’t deserve it’s 4* rating. I would say it is more of a decent 3* hotel rather than 4*.
First impression is quite good, the décor in the reception is cheap looking but interiors are spotless clean and the reception staff is very friendly and efficient. Generally all the staff is great, the best feature of this hotel. Polite, friendly, and always work hard to deliver even when you see they’re tired.

There was a mixture of guests, most of them german and spanish, some English, few Russian dutch and others. Which isn’t a bad thing as we don’t mind a bit of a mix of cultures. However some of the German and English guests misbehaved and were a bit arrogant and ignorant.

Our room was situated in the extension block on the 1st floor, facing the pool bar. Quiet in the evenings and not too noisy in the mornings. Not best of the rooms to have but not so bad either. We asked for a higher floor room with a pool view but didn’t get it. It was quite basic room, a bit dated with only the essential furniture and two single beds pushed together as one which during the night were coming apart far too easy. We were surprised with the wardrobe that didn’t have any shelves inside. Only rail and hangers to hang your clothes. The safe box was on the wardrobe floor, bolted to it but free of charge. When I asked at reception why the wardrobe doesn’t have any shelves I was told it’s the furniture designer’s fault and all wardrobes in the hotel are the same (hard to believe).
I also can’t understand how RIU hotel still uses the old ancient analogue tellies which take so much space. It had only two English channels to choose (cnn and bbc news) + spanish and germans channels and all of them were poor reception quality.
Bathroom in the room was also very basic but clean and served the purpose.

Pool area and pool itself is definitely far too small for the number of guests visiting especially during peak season. It is kept clean and maintained to perfection, however the pool is literally microscopic. You can’t swim properly not only because of the size of it but also because the main pool is occupied by crowds of kids (and adults in some cases) going ballistic and acting like first time in their life they see a swimming pool. There is a set of rules that tell you what you can’t do at the pool and none of them is obeyed and nobody from the staff is trying to enforce them. Like jumping/diving to the pool (which is high safety risk considering the amount of people using it) or use of big inflatables. Reserving sunbeds is a normal practice and again is overlooked by the pool staff.

Food at the hotel was our major disappointment after reading all the previous reviews. It was very repetitive, everyday there is same unknown grilled fish, fried fish, same grilled veg, same pastas, same rice etc. And its quality has a lot to wish for, lacking basic seasoning like salt and pepper. The choice also isn’t overwhelming, and after 3 days you start thinking “Is that it”? I can think of maybe 3 occasions where we had a good 4* meal. If you are perceptive enough you will notice a high amount of food recycling going on which can be justified in small cases but not to this extent as it is in the hotel. That includes breakfast, lunches and dinners.
Desserts, although they look tempting most of them tastes exactly same and when try one, you know how the other taste like. Ice creams are nice though.
Once I was very amused, when at breakfast restaurant manager was serving “freshly squeezed” juices which basically was blended kiwis. Why amused? Because the orange juice he served, it was an orange squash (as available from drink machine) and he poured into a glass from a big metal pot using a ladle. On the good note, the restaurant staff was again excellent in their job.
Restaurant gets very busy in the 2nd sitting and you need to be careful when getting your food as because the poor food stations layout people keep wandering around and is very easy to loose plate bumping into somebody or other way round.

As this hotel is all inclusive how surprised we were that there is no snacks served between the main restaurant times. How’s that works as ‘all inclusive’ when between only certain times (11-12 and 16-17) you can go to a terrace bar and make yourself a sandwich or grab a piece of dessert. Why there is nothing served at the pool bar like it normally is at ‘all inclusive’ hotels?

Now, ‘all inclusive’ drinks… Well. Cocktails are diluted to maximum, very weak, containing almost no alcohol. They are ready made served from big plastic bottles and tasteless. If you want a cocktail with some flavour in it ask for extra granadina sauce. And do what we did if you think your drinks are not strong enough, ask for extra shots of rum, liquor or vodka and enhance it yourself. Only strong drink I had was whisky with coke. The Cruzcampo lager is fine, however I was surprised that there was no San Miguel on offer as there is a local brewery near Malaga.

Summing up, we were disappointed with RIU Costa Lago, mainly because RIU is a big worldwide brand and simply this hotel doesn’t reach to their normal standards you would expect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank dariog22
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Arrived at the hotel and we were greated with a smile and a glass of orange juice.
We were given in their description a lovely room (916) great view but rubbish air con.
Complained after putting up with it for 4 days and given the option to change rooms with no help to move. The Pool is way too small and kids are not allowed any inflatable toys in the pool ( no loungers or balls allowed ).You have to fight for sun beds and if you don't get down to put your towels down before 8.30 you will disappointed.
The meals were ok but more suited to the German tastes.....We hired a car and pleased we did because you could get away every night to avoid the rubbish acts on a night time.
I've stopped in many Riu hotels and can say that this was the worst one I've stayed in ...The staff work hard but the quality just isn't there. Lots to do if you like to get about ///I would go back to the area however I wouldn't stop at this hotel I would hire a villa...To sum up good location ,food ok / staff ok but just not up to the standard I'm afraid.

Room Tip: If the air con appears to be rubbish don't un pack like we did ...get moved because it gets no b...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sam j
Goole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2014

Came here with our son and grandson for their annual holiday(we being in our 70's) hoping for good food, good weather and a spot of relaxation. The food was good quality, tasty, well presented and plenty of choice. Temperatures were up in the high 30's but we did have some sea frets on several mornings. Air conditioning was needed all day and night. Adequate sun beds and umbrellas towels exchanged daily and pool area well looked after.
Staff were polite and obliging in all areas of the hotel and kept everything in good order creating a clean and relaxing atmosphere.
A big bonus were the free bottles of water which were available every day for use in the rooms. Never had this before in any hotel.
BUT NOW THE EVENING ENTERTAINMENT. Whilst the hotel animation team did their best to keep people entertained a bigger team of people would have improved the quality. The professional entertainers were well below par.
During the day there were plenty of activities to take part in if you so wanted again the team working extremely hard.
As far as we were concerned the smoking areas out numbered the non-smoking areas if wanting to relax with a coffee after dinner or at any other time during the day as we are both non-smokers
Overall we would say that the holiday was value for money taking into account the time of year i.e. school holidays.

Room Tip: Mid floor/sea views
2 Thank normik3741