“Hard to go wrong....”

ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol
Ranked #13 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
Reviewed 27 April 2009

Its hard to go wrong with the Belpayer.....
Rooms are large, spotless, and comfortable - its worth paying the small extra for the sea view - its great from the upper floors,
Staff are friendly and try to accommodate your wishes,
The food is great - I would say as good as you get for a large hotel. Plenty of choice - especially salads and puddings,
The car hire arranged through reception is good - under £70 for 3 days delivered to hotel with full insurance. Not worth shopping around,
The location is on the quiet side, not much around it at night. The walk to the centre of Torre is a good half hour along the sea front - pleasant really. 10 mins less if you cut in land.
Hourly local bus to centre from where you can catch busses to Marbella, Mijas etc and a 10 mins walk takes you to the Malaga bus or train.
Reception will give you maps and timetables,
Try Malaga for a day - its well worth the visit and easy to find your way around - cathederal, shops, restaurants, gardens, castle on hill.
Weather mixed in mid April - 2 cloudy showery days and 3 sunny ones - good enough to sit round pool.
Overall, a great week - to be honest I don't know how they do it for the money !

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank AW123456789
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Costa del Sol

Reviewed 26 April 2009

I stayed at the Belplaya for a week and it was all that i was expecting after reading the reviews.
As a single traveller i was hoping for a single room with a balcony but didnt get one, i was woken up at 8am on my first morning by machinery outside my window as they were painting the outside of the hotel (this work has finished now) so i went to reception to ask to be moved.

I was given the key to room 226 and it was lovely, huge room with a pool view and sea view and the longed for balcony!!! It cost another 60 euros but was worth the extra.

The restaurant staff were lovely and made me feel welcome, it can be daunting going into a large restaurant on your own but i didnt feel out of place at all. The food was nice and a good selection and having a set table for the week was great.

The weather wasnt great, only two and half days of sunshine all week but it didnt spoil things. The bar over the road from the hotel "Tony's Bar" is lovely and he is a really nice guy and makes you feel welcome. Drinks were cheaper there than the hotel, a beer is less than 3 euros and a vodka with a mixer was 3.50 euros.
Also, if you want the best cheese and onion omlette with homemade chips then visit the Victoria Inn, the only Welsh bar in Torremolinos, if you walk towards the town on the sea front then you will see a board directing you there, i went there twice and the food was delicious!!!

The pool was freezing and not many braved getting in it. There was a very sad end to the holiday when a man who had jumped into the freezing pool died from a heart attack at the side of the pool, not sure if the temprature of the water was a factor but be warned that it isnt as warm as it looks so check it out first. It was a very sad end to the holiday and my heart went out to his wife and all the friends he was there with.
All in all it was a nice break and i would go back again if the price was right.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
3  Thank toadalert
Reviewed 20 April 2009

We have just returned from a 1 week all inclusive holiday at Costa Lago Hotel. I can honestly say that the staff in this hotel are excellent and the friendliest I have ever experienced in Spain.

The rooms are nice and clean; we had a separate living area to the bedroom which was great as you could close the door leading to the bedroom meaning that you did not hear any of the usual noise of people returning to their rooms late at night. The rooms were cleaned daily and towels placed in the bath were changed daily. The maid also did personal touches by arranging the towels in a swan display.

The pool area was lovely and was really clean with a life guard on duty. There were plenty sun loungers to accommodate the amount f guests using this facility, however I would imagine in high season you may struggle to obtain a sun lounger.

The food was good and the majority of the main meals were prepared by chef’s in front of you therefore you were guaranteed that the food was fresh and warm. The main dishes were normally fish, pork, chicken and a pasta dish which were all excellent. We enjoyed the food however the hotel does cater for an international clientele therefore it is not geared specific to the Brits, if I had been holidaying with my children they may have not been as keen on the selection as we were.

The entertainment was basic and was only on 5 days out of the 7, it was geared more to the mature customer and there was no entertainment specific for children. However all the children in the hotel mixed well with each other ( and all nationalities ) and appeared to be having a ball with the bar staff keeping them entertained and showing great patience with them. The only down point is if you have any walking difficulties you have to go downstairs from the bar area to use the toilets.

The all inclusive drink selection was great which included coffee, cappuccinos, tea, cocktails (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) and as much beer, wine, spirits and soft drinks that you could possibly want.

The hotel is located a few minutes from the beach, which is lovely there are also a few bars and shops in the immediate vicinity. The bus stop is right outside the hotel taking you into the centre of Torremelinos for €1.10 each and the train station is about a 10 minute walk away taking you to Malaga, Benalmadna and Fuengerola which cost about €3 return to Fuengerola. We used a taxi to transport us to and from the airport which was €19 each way.

I would definitely return to this hotel as I loved it, I must however advise that this hotel caters for all international guests and not just the Brits, therefore if you are looking for a typical hotel geared towards the British holiday maker only with lots going on for children then this hotel may not be for you.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank FeeWestLothian
Reviewed 30 March 2009

As the title says, there are good and bad things to say. I'll be positive first of all and start by saying the hotel itself is very clean, as mentioned before, and public areas are pleasant, and in good order, albeit slightly old fashioned. The pool, garden and outside areas are nice, lots of space, and a good amount of sunloungers. The hotel is 150 metres from the beach. There are a handful of beachfront bars, and also a small selection of bars and shops in the surrounding area. The staff are friendly and helpful, all speaking english, despite me trying when possible to speak in spanish to them. The kids loved Adry (barman, waiter and general nice guy) The rooms were cleaned every day apart from one (but we didn't leave the room that day to be fair) Near to the airport end of Torremolinos (our taxi was 20euro each way)
Now for the bad points.........
LOCATION: We quite enjoy a nice walk, but felt this really was a bit too far out for us considering we didn't want to stay in the hotel in the evenings due to the lack of decent ......ENTERTAINMENT:There is entertainment on most evenings, but to honest, it was somewhat lacking in it's quality and quantity. As mentioned in other reviews, it's an hour at the most, and thats it. The weekend entertainment was caterered to Spanish people, with flamenco type music played all evening. There was no entertainment in the day. There are no entertainment facilites except a clapped out pool table (next to peoples rooms -who moan about the noise) a ping pong table, and some lobby pc's for internet use.Therefore because of the lack of things to do and nothing at all for children we didn't feel it was great value to book ............ALL INCLUSIVE:Which comprised of breakfast, lunch, and evening meal, continental B/F 10-12, afternoon cakes and pastries, and all the drinks you wanted from 10am til 12pm. I was disappointed that the childrens ice creams were not included (from the pool, bar) I sometimes felt, we were overlooked with our AI bands on, with waiter service given to paying guests, and us having to order drinks at the bar....FOOD: We found something to eat each mealtime, but it certainly wasn't 4* quality and choice. Again, not ideal for the "typical Brit" nearly everything drowned in garlic! Lastly I must mention the ROOMS: Although a decent size for 2 adults 2 children, having a seperate lounge area, where the extra beds are placed, I thought the were in need of a refurb. Don't get me wrong, they were perfectly clean, and the beds comfortable, but the shabby bathrooms had seen better days.

In Summary, I wouldn't recomment this hotel to anyone with children of any age. I wouldn't recommend that you book here All Inclusive, as there is not enough to keep you in the hotel to get your moneys worth. Having said all that, if you want a quiet, relaxing hotel, and enjoy strolling 20- 30 mins before reaching any real kind of "life" I would recommend the hotel on a room only, or BB basis. We visted the Torremol;inos Beach Club a stones throw away, and they are totally geared up for the Brits! I would rather stay there, are further into Torremolinos next time.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 March 2009

GENERAL BOOKING:
I stayed at this Hotel from the 7th-12th March 2009 along with my sister and her 8-month old baby for a relaxing break. We booked a RIU hotel as Thomsons travel agents had advised us that it was a good hotel with good facilities for young children/babies and this proved to be the case. We booked to go "half board" in this hotel. I had read the reviews for the hotel prior to booking, which I always do, and 99% of the reviews were good.

ARRIVAL/GREETING:
When we arrived we were greeted at reception by Sebastian who was very pleasant towards us both and immediately made a big fuss over the baby which was nice. Whilst we were checking in he also gave us a complimentary drink each, which was a nice touch. The porter who was also ver nice brought up our cases to the room within a few minutes.

RESTAURANT:
We dined in the hotel restaurant most nights (apar from 3nights) and the food was excellently presented and was very tasty and varied. They had a good selection of food for those who like meat/fish/salads/soups/pasta/vegetarian/ desserts/fruit/cheese&crackers. The food changed every night so you never ate the same food which was good and the chefs were very skilled in the food they made and the sculptures they made out of vegetables and fruit.

On the first night the head waiter welcomed us and we could chose where we wanted to sit in the restaurant (you either choose the 6-7:30pm sitting or the 8-9:30pm sitting which was ideal for us as we could go down early with the baby). The waiters were extremely helpful; curteous and happy and would do anything to help us and they all made a huge fuss over the baby, which of course he loved! One of hte head waiters was called Becerra and he was probably the nicest member of staff there, joking around with us and the baby and generally making the restaurant a very good exerience. You ordered the drinks from the waiters who then brought them to your table. The restaurant provided us with a baby seat for dining and this was placed at our allocated every morning and evening wthout fail. we saw the hotel manager and his younger assistant in the restaurant every night overseeing how things were running and they were very friendly and would do anything for ou as would all the staff.

During breakfast sittings (8-10:30am) there was a big selection of foods such as: cereals/breads/pastries/fruits/yogurts/preserves/cooked breakfasts/pancakes/ salads/juice/tea and coffee. There was plenty to choose from, and again the staff were very friendly and welcoming.

During lunch time, we chose to dine twice in the poolside restaurant where again there were very friendly staff working. There was a selection of burgers/prawns/salads/calamaries/ fish/steak etc on offer as well as drinks and ice-creams. The restaurant also served poolside drinks such as soft drinks/beers/hot driks/cocktails etc.

SWIMMING POOLS:
We were a bit disappointed with the swimming pools. Th weather in Spain was warm but not boiling (given the time of year) so naturally the outdoor pool was very cold and we only saw two people using it in the week that we were there. So we went to the indoor swimming pool (which is "heated" during the winter season) and again that was freezing and too cold for us to swim in let alone to put the baby in the pool. So we didn't use eiher pool.

There was also a therapy unit in the same building as the indoor pool which offers massage/facials/hot stone therapies/waps etc but I cannot comment on this as we did not use it, although I do know that you only have to book your reatment one day in advance. I do remember that the massages cost 30(euro) for 30minutes and 50(euros) for 60minutes.

ROOMS:
The room we were given was huge in size and very clean and nicely presented. We had a bathroom with separate toilet/bidet and had a bath as well as a shower and we were on the 2nd floor up. We had a decent-sized balcony (with table&two chairs) with lovely views of the pool and sea/beachfront. The hotel knew in advance that we were taking the baby and we were provided with a cot in the room as well as two beds each for myself and my sister. There is a hairdryer/shaving point/Television/table&chairs/safe/fridge/telephone/ wardrobes/clothing cabines all in the room.

Our room was cleaned most days by a lady called Anna Sasia and she was so lovely and kind and made a good job of our rooms which were cleaned to a high standard every day, she even made different animal shapes out of our clean towels which was cute. And all the staff, from the manager of the hotel/waiters/pool staff/cleaners/bin men/maintenance men.......everyone was so so nice and I have never been anywhere so friendly. The only bad thing I have to say about the hotel that the rooms have very thin walls (which was bad for us as I think the baby woke our neighbours up by screaming a few nights, which could not be helped).

THOMSONS REP:
We were disapponted by this service as there was a German Thomsons rep at the hotel but there was no British Rep available, and someone from the hotel (a guest I think) had taken the Thomsons Rep book so we couldnt see what excersions were on offer. We had to go the the Beach Club Hotel (situated next door to our hotel a short walk away) to find the Thomsons Rep Linda who was at the hotel from 9-11am and 5-7pm most days. When arriving at the hotel, as we didnt have a Rep we also didn't get a welcome meeting, which was disappointing, but that (along with the above Rep issues) is Thomsons fault and not the hotel's fault.

EXCERSIONS:
Whilst in Spain, we took an excersion to GIBRALTAR which was a three hour bus trip away (not two hours as the Rep told us). The bus picked us up from the Beach Club Hotel at 9am & we got back at 8pm. One piece of advice about going on this trip........dont bother!! We were told that the shopping in Gibraltar is tax free and great, it was just a long high street with nothing at all interesting to buy or do. As this is a British island then you could pay British Sterling in the shops (as well as Euros). One piece of advice if you do choose to go there, if you are going to pay British Sterling, the shopkeepers will try to give you your change in Gibraltar currency....DO NOT ACCEPT THIS CHANGE! Tell them you want your change is British Sterling as you can only use the Gibralta currency in Gibraltar, you cant spend it in Britain or Spain and you can't change it at any British or Spaniah Banks or Post Offices, the only way to change it is to send it off to the Bank of England in London!! So only accept your cange in British Sterling. If you want a nice cup of coffee/hot chocolate, go down to "Ocean Village" which is situated next to the bus station, they do amazing home-made cakes and hot chocoalate on the little cafe's on the jetty, can't remember the name of the cafe we went to but it was the first one you get to overlooking the sea.

Whilst in Gibraltar we went to the lighthouse where you could see the coast of Africa on a clear day (Morrocco is 8miles away by sea). We then went up the Rock of Gibraltar to see the native monkeys which I enjoyed, but make sure you dont feed them (you get fined 90 euros if caught) and keep everything on you safe including putting a small lock on your rucksack as they will try to pinch anything if they think you've got food inside! we were also advised to carry the baby and not leave him in the pushchairjust incase the monkey accidently scratched him. But despite that they are cute and get very close to you. After this we went to the caves whish was very interesting, the local British-speaking guide tels you all about when the British soldiers hid in the caves during World War 2.
In order to get from our bus to the tour bus that you use for the actual tour of the island you are told to meet in the bus station (where the bus drops you off). When we got on the tour bus we were met by Martin who was our local guide, he was British and was very funny and knowledgeable. When you go to Gibraltar you have to take your passport as it is British soil and in orde rto get to the island uor bus has to drive directly over the airport runway, whichwas a strange experience! When you het off the bus (the one that goes from the hotel to Gibraltar) there's a man (called a local "snapper") taking photos of you when you get off the bus (which we didnt like as we had the baby with us) and when you return to go to the bus to leave in the evening he tries to sell you the potos which are rinted on little saucers, but he didn't hassle us or speak to us so he wasn't too much bother.

We did not go on any other excersions as we have family living in Andalucia who took us to two lovely areas. Our aunty tok us in her car to the town of MIJAS (pronounced Mi-has not Mi-jas a the British call it) which is situated very high up in the hills (the car just kept on going up and up and up the mountain!) - this town is very beautiful and picturesque and is a real spanish town with local people and bull ring and church so you can experience the "real" Spain. Its a quaint town with plenty to see and do for a few hours. On the way back we drove past a private gated community where Rod Sewart and many other famous people live, it was worth stopping on the edge of the mountain side to see the amazing big houses/swimming pools/private golf course and how the other half live!

We also went on another trip where our aunty dove us to a town called RONDA which was over an hour away from Torremolinos. This town boasted amazing sights and there is a very high old bridge built to go over the valleys into the town. This was built a long time ago and built so high as to see the enemies coming from miles away. You can take some amazing pictures of the area wih its stunning scenery, rolling farm land, churches, monastries, museums and quaint little local cafes where you can eat local Spanish tapas with breads and oils and drinks etc.

ADVICE:
If you're looking for a high-market area where there are local Spanish restaurants and pleanty to do then I would not reccommend Torremolinos, go to the next town over Benalmadena. We didn't see many local people in Torremolinos, mainly tourists and the Hotel RIU BELPLAYA I thik is more suited for the older travellers and families, but I would not bother going there if you are a young couple or single person or a group of young people as there is not much to do outside the hotel, just typical British & Irish pubs/cafes which serve up British food/drink. Personnally I think if you're going abroad then why should you stick with British things?!! Torremolinos is definatley a tourist area and mostly full of Bitish and Germans, as was the hotel which was fine.

If you are going to go as young couple/single/group then I would hire a villa in the Andalucian hills (Benalmedena village is up in the hills and is gorgoeous and where my aunty&uncle live and is local with no tourists and a good 15minutes drive from Benaldadena coast which is ful of tourists).

Also, if you want to see the local sites/towns/zoos/sea-life/attractions etc, I would highly reccommend that you HIRE A CAR otherwise you will be bored. It is well worth it and you get to see so much more and hidden little places that you never would usually see. Make sure you take a Sat-Nav with you and be wary as the Spanish are crazy drivers and dont follow any rules (like stopping at zebra crossings for pedestrians and going through red traffic lights,they just make up their own rules!)

The Hotel is a four star and I would rate the hotel a 3.5 to 4 stars but all the staff and guests at the hotel are so friendly and we had all the staff as well as British and German/Dutch holiday makers swooning and making a huge fuss over the baby.
But overall the hotel is perfect for families (they are VERY family freindly) and the older travellers.

One tip I would give, as previously mentioned by another trip advisor reviewer is to learn a little Spanish (Just Hello (Ola); Goodbe (Adios); Please (Porfavore) and Thank You (Grasias)). I would also learn a few German words (the same words as above) so you can communicate briefly with the German/Dutch guests who are very friendly. as mentioned in a previous review, a few German guests did push past you without apologising and ate a lo of food even though there was more than enought, but overall they were very friendly and neither I nor my sister had any problems with them at all.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank LauraWales
Reviewed 10 March 2009

After reading a couple of negative reviews I was a little apprehensive. However, I was really pleased with the hotel, the staff and the location. The room was comfortable, was cleaned daily and had everything I needed for a long 6 week holiday . The food in the restaurant was varied and well presented and nothing was to much trouble for the staff. Although the hotel is located over a kilometer from Torremolinos I personally enjoyed the more peaceful setting. If I had one gripe it was that the daily entertainment was a bit boring but having said that some of the evening entertainment was really good. I have booked again for April 2009.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank williad
Reviewed 10 February 2009

My partner and I stayed for 3 days all inclusive. Not a 4 star that you would expect back home but what you would expect to be rated as a 4 star for Spanish holiday destinations. Food was varied and excellent and had something to please everyone. Spotless hotel and rooms, we had a maid service avery day. Major bonus with all inclusive is that we were able to keep using the all inclusive facilities drinks/food up until we left the hotel and not the usual rip off of saying that all inclusive ends when you check out on the morning of departure. Taxi transfer from the airport very expensive at €22 there and €8 coming back for a 5km journey. Would return to this hotel again!! Excellent

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple