“Tourist trap, AVOID THIS PLACE!”

Chiringuito La Macarena
Ranked #578 of 740 Restaurants in Torremolinos
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 29 August 2013 via mobile

Is a pity I did not read these reviews before going to this restaurant! Would have avoided paying for the most expensive meal is all my 3 weeks holiday around the Spanish coast.

As we were walking by, looking for a nice and relaxing place to have dinner, we found the chiringuito la Macarena. The place seemed ok and the staff were polite.

We ordered a mixed grill, and I specifically said to the waiter that we did not want too much food.

The waiter recommended the grill for 2 people, ( bear in mind this was done by weight) so when the dish arrived in the table I had the biggest shock of my life, there was enough food to feed an army!!!!

When I complained, the waiter talked some crap about the spaniards being generous !!!!! And that i could eat the leftover the next day .
What a load of crap!!!!

The whole thing did cost me €188,10. ( 1 glass of sangria, 1 beer, and the mixed grill for 2, and I initially refused the bread).

Never went back again and would definitely advise people NOT TO VISIT THIS PLACE.

3  Thank Dolores Damares C

Reviewed 5 August 2013

From first glance this establishment looked appealing both in terms of location and menu, however the service was poor, they got the order wrong and when they brought it out again it still had the remains of the wrong order on!

The food itself was incredibly greasy and inedible and the staff were rude, pushy, intrusive and were more interested in smoking than serving. It was clear I had not eaten any of my meal however they did not offer a refund or any money knocked off the bill, they even charge for the bread and butter we didn't ask for and thought was complimentary.

It was the worst dining experience we had on our holiday and ruined our first night! Definitely avoid this place!

2  Thank Windsora21
Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stopped to look at the menu and were lured in by a very friendly lady (who we never saw again) who told us about the huge portions Potatoes & Rice, Chips & Rice with all meals so we went for it. Sat at the table and were given 4 Bread rolls (rock hard) and a packet of bread-sticks, which we thought were complimentary but ended up costing us €4.80, if I knew this would have returned them. Food finally arrived about 30 minutes later after arguing for rice with my daughters chips which were not available with what she chose. (see earlier promise) food was swimming in garlic, rice was swimming in garlic ate what we could which was not much paid and left vowing never to retrun........ STAY AWAY

Reviewed 30 June 2013

This restaurant seems innocent enough, but a real trap for tourists. The seafood on the menus is all market priced by grams. The meal was the most expensive meal we had during our entire two weeks in Europe. The seafood was fresh, but over cooked. They charge you for everything, bread and olives placed on table is all extra charges. Our meal of mixed shellfish two scallops, six various shrimp and four clams was over €100. the service was very slow and the couple that was dining with us was served before us, while ours was not ready. The view and location was nice enough but vendors kept badgering us inside the restaurant selling flowers, lotto tickets, and various trinkets. I warned people to avoid this place. We ate seafood and steak dinners while in the Coasta del Sol area and never paid more then €30 including wine and dessert.

Reviewed 24 June 2013

The staff lure you in with promises of big portions. We were given a basket with two rock hard rolls which we didn't ask for or touch and were charged €2.50. My boyfriends steak was the so thin and chewy. We were told that all mains came with a baked potato, chips and rice. He got about 5 FREEZING COLD chips and a tiny serving of greasy rice. No baked potato as promised. I got the calamaritos which were DISGUSTING and inedible. Tiny serving as well. One of the waiters came over and gave some excuse in Spanish even tho he was speaking English to us earlier. Worst dining experience ever. Stay well away.