“Shocking!! Stay away!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Hotel Roc Costa Park
Ranked #27 of 72 Hotels in Torremolinos
“Shocking!! Stay away!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 August 2014

Booked this hotel for a short break for myself and my 5 year old daughter. There was a festival on apparently so the hotel was extremely busy with large groups of people who were certainly making the most of the All Inclusive, drunk, loud, aggressive, violent and rude is an understatement! Not the kind of environment for a child, maybe a stag party but not a child.
The hotel itself is very date in parts but modernised in other areas. There was food and empty plastic drink cups all over the floors, in the lifts and corridors and a distinct smell of cannabis throughout the building.
The wye which was extremely long and disorganised to get in for food was policed by security who wore handcuffs and a batton/truncheon! He was more aggressive than most of the guests!
Needless to say I did not feel this was a safe environment for my daughter so I left the hotel in less than 24 hours. On checkout the staff agreed with all of my above points, apologised and said that if I stayed another day or 2 'more people like me would arrive and the hotel would be back to normal'. I was unwilling to do this as it was not safe. They refused to refund my costs for the hotel despite the fact I'd paid in full and had paid a second time for a new hotel.
I have since wrote to them to try to get a refund but again this has been refused!
Don't bother with this place unless it's a stag party!

• Stayed May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank duskyd0818

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Warwickshire, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

I was pretty worried after reading some reviews of this hotel, but I shouldn't have been. My partner and I returned from a week stay and we had a fabulous time. The hotel is split into two parts and yes, there is a section with older rooms, but the rest of the hotel is modern and amazingly clean. Upon arrival we were placed into a tiny, 2nd floor quite scruffy room, (at 4am), but a simple conversation at 9am meant we were moved to a huge room on the 6th floor, no problems at all, no cost. The food is wonderful, always such a vast choice. Try and sit outside of the restaurant,not a as much seating, but we always managed it. Much more pleasant. Amazing facilities for the children, we will return with our kids next year! The bus service to the beach is good for the children or elderly etc (or lazy people). It's only a 15 minute walk to the beach, straight road and down hill on the way there, the option to jump on the bus is nice and they are frequent. The Roc hotels have their own beach section, with amazingly comfy sunbeds. Tempting in an all inclusive to stay in your hotel, but don't! This is a lovely family resort and if you head to San Miguel street you will find the most beautiful cobbled street with tiny, quiet Spanish bars.

The only warning flash I would flag....bonkers people (mainly Brits), queuing, yes queuing to put their towels onto sunbeds in the morning. Some for up to an hour!! I have holidayed abroad all of my life and spent several years repping and never have I seen this. Don't do it!! Don't be tempted to follow the crowd! Every day we got sunbeds together, where we wanted them and when. People are coming and going all the time, you will get a sunbed, don't waste hours of your hol with crazy people (or as my partner pointed out, maybe it's men trying it get a bit of piece and quiet from the wives and kids?!)

Absolutely gutted to return home from a fabulous hotel with fantastic facilities. You will love it if you stay here. Can't wait to return!

Room Tip: If it looks tiny, then go with your gut feeling. 6th floor was fabulous, 2nd floor was tiny. Most ro...
Rotherham, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

Firstly I have to say we have just returned from a very enjoyable holiday at roc costa.
Thought I would leave what I class as some helpful positives and negatives
Positives:
Great grounds all secured so older kiddies can roam around
Clean rooms, we upgraded and these were practically brand new
Not a massive massive choice of food, but what there was was served in the main restaurant absolutely gorgeous!
Great kiddies pool with pirate ship etc
No annoying queuing and fighting for sun beds as the pool doesn't open till 10am, so you just queue at the gate at 9.50am and we always got a bed (mid six week holidays too)
Remote location but the shuttle bus is always on time and regular ( but don't run into the evening)
Lovely seating area outside at night, loads of space and lots of chairs
Very quick transfer from airport
Manager and his wife are brilliant, always on hand to help and take on any advice, a lady broke her leg while we were there and they were absolutely fab with them too
The whiskey is bells so my hubby was happy!
Beautiful beaches

Negatives

Most of the kiddies entertainment is only catered to Spanish speakers
The evening entertainment is rubbish,
The main pool is manned by regimented pool staff, no diving allowed and if this happens they will make your child sit on the pool side for 10 minutes!!!!!!!!!! No inflatables allowed under any circumstances!!!!!!!!!!! If you do go for lunch and leave your bed for longer than 60 minutes your stuff is removed and the beds given away. The pool beds are super super uncomfortable too!
The pool area beds are never moved and stacked at night so therefore its never thoroughly washed down or cleaned
The kids club isn't a kids club, it's just games which the kids can join in to do, you have to stay with children.
The times for pool opening is 10am too late for some, then dinner
/ lunch not open till 7.30pm and 1.30pm late for families with small kids. If you miss these times there is a snack option served at pool side which is diabolical, dry crusty slices of bread served with a knackered old toaster , with cheese and salad which has flies all over it,
Crisps and ice cream snacks are only available 2 hours per day and you have to ask for them from one bar. The snack options let the hotel down in my opinion.
Quite a noisy hotel too, chairs being dragged all over by the maids from 8am

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Hibberd_Family
Kent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

my husband and i stayed there 12th aug 14 for a week all inclusive and we will definitely go back there again , we had double standard room which was spacious and clean , food was good and plenty of choice , free bus to town and beach and plenty of shops in town , beach was nice sand was very hot (lol) although we had no kids withs us there was lovely pools for kids of all ages and didnt see a miserable kid there , look forward to going there again

2 Thank amanda s
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

Just returned from a short break with a friend. This is not a bad hotel. It is being refurbished but we were (hopefully) in one of the original rooms. The food is not bad but pork in one way or another served every day for lunch and dinner. They also offered fish and paella which I love so suited me fine. The vegetables are lovely. If you want a full English breakfast you'll have to go elsewhere. I personally loved the bacon and sausages but they are not the "normal" porkers that the English are looking for. There was a good variety of alternatives. Eggs could be boiled, fried, scrambled or omelettes made while you wait. Breakfast definitely best meal of the day. When we arrived we got sunbeds quite quickly but they were so uncomfortable it makes you wonder why people would queue for them in the morning. The courtesy bus to the beach is great. We only went on our last day but should have gone earlier. The beds there are super comfy. We paid at the beach because we didn't plan to go there but it is better to book in advance with the hotel as we paid 9.5 euros at the beach and you pay 5 euros at the hotel in advance. Top tip - wear sandals if you want to go into the sea. I went in my bare feet and now have blisters on the soles of both feet because the sand was so hot (my fault obviously:-)). The day before we left there was a new intake of guests. This resulted in a restaurant which resembled a canteen or a school dinner hall. It was bedlam. The staff coped remarkably well. Don't know if I could do it. All in all we had a nice stay. If you are a couple looking for a romantic break, forget it. If you are a group of friends looking for a party hotel, also forget it as you will have to sit through the children's disco (which doesn't start until 9.30 p.m.) and then the bingo in 5 languages before you get to any adult entertainment. Can't comment on the late shows because we got a few all inclusive drinks and sat on the balcony before the bingo even started. Don't write this hotel off. It is very nice but be aware of what you are booking.

Room Tip: We had room 115 which had views of the buildings opposite. If you looked to the far right and over t...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank helenthejambo
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

First of all this hotel is under new management and a lot of the reviews are from the old management!

The food is excellent, the best choice we have ever had and we have travelled to a wide range of destinations! The manager is lovely, he made us feel extremely welcome and is always open to feedback in what must be a difficult job due to the size of the hotel! We would often see him helping children with using the drinks machines, chatting to families etc- very hands on with the job which will most definitely boost this hotels reputation!

We had a warm welcome from the receptionist on our arrival. We arrived at about 9.45pm and the receptionist insisted on locking our cases away safely and said that she would explain everything after we had eaten- this was lovely as we were hungry after our journey- never had service like this before! It's safe to say that we were delighted with both the choice and quality of food as well as the friendliness from ALL staff! Great choice of food- pizza, pasta, salad, chips, beef, pork, chicken, prawns (beautiful!), rabbit, veal etc

On a weekend the hotel had a lot of Spanish visitors but this did not bother us after all we are in Spain!! Lots more English as the week went on.

The pools are great. Sunbeds around the pool are quite hard and would benefit from having a mattress on them. Having said that, you can always find comfy beds just above the pirate ship area.

We were once slightly late for lunch (3.10pm) as we were so relaxed and the manager escorted us to a table as a goodwill gesture!

The drinks are great! Sangria, rosa, red and white wine and San Miguel on a self serve tap! Soft drinks also available!

Although we don't have any children it was clear the animation team were 100% dedicated to their jobs and worked day and night to make sure that they enjoyed every minute- they genuinely look like they love the job! Extras like inflatable slides in the large pool, foam parties etc were great for the kids.

The walk to the town centre took us about 25 minutes but the hotel do provide buses. I feel a later bus to town and also an extra bus through the day would be beneficial to the hotel due to the location.

Perhaps having two rooms to use on the departure day would prevent people being delayed but perhaps this does happen when the hotel is not as busy!

We walked to the water park- but it was a rip off! You pay 50euro for 2 to get into the park- we waited about 40 minutes to get in! We got on 5 rides throughout the full day as it is the most popular season so it was packed. 6 euro for a coke in the restaurant, 12 euro 50 for a pizza! 3 euro for a bed if you want one, about 7 euro for a safe and about 15 euro to hire a rubber ring!!!!! Hiring the rubber ring is a joke! We didn't and it meant each time you need a ring you have to queue for a free ring and then queue for the actual ride!! Such a shame as the water park looks lovely, such a shame that they are so greedy for money!

We booked our holiday last minute and I was quite concerned after reading other reviews, my advice would be judge it yourself!
- Excellent food and drink
- Excellent staff
- Great entertainment for kids- pirate ship is fantastic for them!
- Good size rooms
- Perfect for families
- Get a taxi for 19 euro don't pay for transfers- others did that we know and they got to the hotel 2 hours later than us due to waiting for someone on there bus!

Thank you for a great holiday!

Room Tip: Try and get a room in the new part!
1 Thank Kimberley22_11
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

I went with 2 15, 3 and 5 year olds. The smaller 2 enjoyed the activities. The pool never opened until 10am which I thought was a good thing. It gave us time to have breakfast before queuing about 9.30 everyday to get beat thé water solide pool. Thete is à top pool ehich is quieter for adult and no time restriction when u can put your towel down.
Rooms:- Ours could have done with a makeover, Brown tiles on bathroom walls but still very clean. Cleaners daily. Room basic nothing to watch on tv except News. I stayed on 1st floor nice large balcony. My niece was on 10th floor no problems with bird mess, so let's hope they sorted that problem. Lifts always busy so be prepared to wait they only hold 4 max. They also close very quickly so u need to hold them open when entering or watch ur side.
Food:- The food was really nice not what I expected from the reviews, I fell in love with the fat chips. All my meals were really hot only one day disappointed was Sunday, my meal was literally cold (microwave available), I just thought that would have been my best meal. Restaurant large but there can be queues. Wide variety of drinks to be had even alcoholic slush puppies which are refreshing. Bar open until midnight.
Entertainment:- It was ok for the nothing that good to write home about but entertaining. My only complaint was it finished really late for the children. Mini disco started at 8.30-9, then rest after that. No bingo if you enjoy playing.
Not far from the airport so dependingon how many in your party transfer not required. Went to water park really good day out for the whole family discount vouchers given at the airport, on 8€ there 6€ back to the hotel. The Spanish holiday makers that everyone was complaining about never caused and problems while we were there. Staff very nice and helpful. Hotel really big so may not be good for people with mobility issues, location not the best but courtesy bus to the beach/town is really handy. Train station near McDonald's but bit of a walk to hotel .

• Stayed July 2014