“Girls short stay”

Sol Don Marco by Melia
Ranked #10 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great Hotel, good location, clean rooms, several pools and never a problem getting a sunbed. Short break me, my friend and our daughters. We stayed half board which we paid when we arrived. 90 Euros per room for 3 nights which was great value approximately £12.50 each. Excellent breakfast. Large choice in the evening and specialty night was excellent. Antonio on reception is very helpful. Lots of nice restaurants nearby. Had excellent fish in one on the other side of the road from the Hotel. Very near the Hotel but did not note the name. There is a great seafood bar in the main town. Mainly Spanish people in it. Not cheap but if you like seafood it is worth it.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Heather70
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2014

Dear Heather70,
Thank you for writing your review. I am delighted that your quick break was so successful. I am glad that you made the most of Torremolinos and took advantage of some of the great dining available in the area. In front of the hotel is the Bajondillo Beach which stretches for about 3 miles and has a little fish restaurant pretty much every 100 yards. They all do great food so you are spoilt for choice.
I hope that we see you again in the future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice hotel, in my opinion one of the best in Torremolinos and I have stayed in many! Rooms were nice but hard beds. 8 pools to choose from during the day and no probs getting a sunbed. Antonio on reception was very helpful and friendly. We were half board and the night we arrived was a theme night. We were given a flower and a wine on arrival. Food was excellent lots of fresh seafood. Food not so great the next night, but ok. We had lunch in the Don Pablo and did not like it as much as Don Marco, but they did have a chocolate fountain for the kids. Location of this hotel at the seafront close to everything needed for a great holiday. When I go back to Torremolinos I will return to this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank sineadr

Dear sineadr,
I am glad to hear that the girls' weekend went off without a hitch and that you enjoyed the Don marco so much. I appreciate you letting us know that you would return next time you are in Torremolinos. I hope that it is soon!
I have just responded to another reviewer who said that they prefer the Don Pablo dining room to the Don Marco one so it just goes to show how tastes differ and that it is an advantage having the choice of two dining rooms.
Thanks for the review.
Jaime.

Reviewed 2 August 2014

We have just returned from the Hotel Don Marco, where we enjoyed a really lovely break for a week on a bed and breakfast basis. The hotel is in an excellent location, right on the beach with all amenities nearby. The room was great, very clean and the staff were always polite and very helpful. We enjoyed our breakfast every morning with a wide variety of choices. The pool was quiet and relaxing with warm water and not at all crowded. This hotel had everything that we wanted for our relaxing break. I was delighted with my pedicure in the Spa. Thank you to Marie for her care and attention because it was one of the best treatments that I have ever had and I mean that sincerely. We had super time at this hotel and hope to return soon.
Only one small moan and that it the absence of a kettle in the room. We like our tea in the morning and so took our own small travel kettle.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have best views of the sea.
3  Thank upminstercouple

Dear upminstercouple ,
Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay at the Don Marco. I am glad to see that you enjoyed yourselves so much and that the service and facilities helped to make for a satisfactory break.
We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

1. We had arranged for transfer from the airport to the hotel on arrival day, but no car turned up, so we had to take a taxi (20 euro - the promised transfer was free of charge...) We told it to the receptionist at arrival, but she showed no interest in this issue. However, there were no problems with the transfer on the day of departure.
2. Our stay was with all meals included, but what a disappointment! The buffet food was very uninspiring and didn't taste of anything. This goes for both breakfast, lunch and dinner - apart from the omelettes in the morning.
3. The hotel offers "entertainment" every night, which means terrible and extremely loud music every night till 11.30 p.m. (some nights even longer).
4. In the bathroom, there were no toilet amenities like shampoo, conditioner etc. - only soap. Quite unusual for a four star hotel.
5. The location is fine, though - practically right om the beach and close to the city centre.
6. Another good thing is the yoga lessons (the teacher does it for free).

I don't know if I will go to Torremolinos again, but I will certainly not stay at this place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
1  Thank Dimitri W
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear Dimitri W,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay at the Sol Don Marco. I am sorry that you were so disappointed with the hotel. We will take all of your comments into consideration and I hope that we can use them to improve our service.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We are just back from a week stay in this beautiful hotel. We both really did enjoy it and all the staff we dealt with were pleasant and friendly. The pool areas were exceptionally well kept and there was no shortage of sunbeds or parasols.
Breakfast was good, a few days it was very very busy but that is understandable seeming the hotel was full, even though the hotel was full and the dining room was very busy the standard of food and service was not affected.
Our bedroom was on the third floor and we had a lovely view over the pools and the beach. The housekeeper did an excellent job all week, the room was spotless every day and the towels provided were far better then many other hotels.
Just a few little things that could do with improvement for example the time it took to check in was very slow so perhaps two receptionists at all times would be a benefit. Also for a four star hotel you would expect to have wifi in the bedrooms. The safe and pool towels I feel should be free to use as you are paying a lot of money for the stay.
Overall I would not hesitate in recommending the Sol Don Marco and we are both looking forward to our return visit!!!

Room Tip: initially we were disappointed that we did not receive a seaview room however we discovered that the...
2  Thank Joan Marie O

Dear J O,
Thanks so much for your review and for recommending the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and really hope that we do see you soon.
We are currently studying all the possibilites regarding WiFi although for the time-bieng we will continue to offer the free service in the lobby and bar areas and charge for the premium high-speed service. As regards pool towels, there is a refundable deposit but we do charge 1€ each time a guest changes their pool towel. This has not always been the case but unfortunately we had guests who would change towels various times every day which was neither eological nor economical. It is a shame, I know.
Thanks again for your review and for your suggestions.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel staff is polite, patient and very helpful. The rooms are clean, spacious. Quiet hotel, not noisy. If they do not know the answer to your question, they look it up on the internet. They speak many languages, very impressive.
Beds are hard though...

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Sylvie J,
Thank you so much for choosing the Sol Don Marco hotel for your trip to Spain.
I appreciate your comments and I am really glad that the staff were able to help you with all your requirements.
I am sorry that you found the beds too hard. We have softer mattresses available for those who prefer them but unfortunately I see that you were not aware of this.
I hope that we might see you again should you visit the Costa del Sol in the future.

Reviewed 18 July 2014

I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Don Marco with my Mother. I made a request prior to travelling and can I say this was met in its entirety. We were given rooms 5001 & 5002 which were both immaculate with an outstandingly large balcony.

We arrived early at 10.30am and I fully expected having to wait for the rooms, however they were ready for us which allowed us to enjoy an excellent first day.

Food - We booked half board basis and both my Mum and I fully enjoyed the choice of meals. Fantastic fruit and salad bar along with many choices of other foods, the only thing I missed was Lamb! But plenty of fish, chicken, pork and Beef choices. Sometimes the grill food was a little rare but just ask and they would cook for longer. We had lunch instead of dinner most days but still excellent choice.

Staff - All staff we encountered were extremely polite, friendly and noticeably so respectful of each other which was nice to see and hear! Despite being English I could understand Spanish. There is a Management presence and this I feel assists customer satisfaction and staff morale. My Mum lost her mobile phone and within 15 minutes of contacting reception it was found and returned to her room, many thanks for this.

Rooms - As already stated I really do feel we got fantastic rooms these were however kept immaculately clean by our friendly cleaner. Adequate facilities in room with plenty of plugs, storage and mirrors. Furniture tiring a little but not an issue to me I loved the firm mattress.

Exterior - The pools and all outside areas were kept immaculate being cleaned down every day and the pool was lovely and warm to swim in. Just a suggestion we struggled to get a drink around the pool due to bar being closed so went out to shop for water and soft drinks, maybe a vending machine would be good as we prob spent 60 euro on soft drinks and water over the week.

All in all we had a fantastic Holiday and would definitely return again. I holiday 5 times a year most usually 5 star All inclusive but would certainly come here again with my Husband. My Mum really enjoyed all aspects of the hotel and wants to return again soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank del70
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco by Melia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Dear del70,
I am so glad that you enjoyed the Sol Don Marco so much. Thank you for writing about your stay on TA and letting us all know.
I have taken note of your suggestion of a vending machine at the quiet pool. As you know there are 9 pools in total in the complex and we have two operating bars with lunch menus as well. The quiet pool by the Don Marco had a bar years ago but it was rarely used and it was felt better to leave the area calm and allow guests to head over the bridge to the Pablo pool bar or downstairs to the Romano bar if the wanted service. We had a vending machine for a year but guests didn't really make use of it. Perhaps we will try it again.
Thanks again for your detailed review. Please do come again.