“Honest Review”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Waterford
“Honest Review”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was our second visit to Don Marco. We also came here last year and enjoyed it so much, that we decided to come back. We were not disappointed.

First of all I want to thank a number of the staff personally. I think it is important that this is done as the staff in the hotel make this the hotel what it is.

Miguel, Dani and Danny were excellent as part of the entertainment team. They were always smiling, pleasant and doing as much as possible for us to enjoy our holiday. I love my soccer and there were many games of soccer throughout our 11 day stay.

Javier on reception and Antonio in charge of meals in restaurant were also very helpful.
We thought Antonio was great in the Grease musical at night also

We also found the security man to be a lovely guy. Cleaning staff were excellent.

I also saw the manager of the hotel walking around the complex which is great to see.

There were a number of things that pleased us about the hotel

1 Proximity to the beach
2 Friendly staff who are more than helpful. Familiar faces seem to work there every year which is a great sign,
3 Rooms are kept exceptionally clean. New towels daily which is fantastic.
4. Food is plentiful, tasty and varied ( I cant believe some of the negative reviews here about the food). I have to be honest though I found the food nicer in the Pablo to the Marco.
5. Loads of lovely gardens and pools. You will never wait for a sunbed, plenty of them there.
6. Entertainment team are fantastic and enthusiastic. Great daily games such as soccer and beach volley which I really enjoyed. Also at night the shows were great particularly Grease, the lion king and Mamma Mia.
7. Great security in complex
8 Fantastic value for money

I would definitely give this hotel 5 stars however there are a couple of things which would make it even better.

1. tea/coffee making facilities in room
2. Wifi in room or more wifi spots in hotel perhaps by pool.
3. Air conditioning was loud at night sometimes and made it difficult to sleep. The hotel should possibly look at updating some of the air conditioning.
4. There could be more variety in the dessert although we did find it lovely.
5. The safe could be cheaper or free.

Tips

1 There is a supermarket down the road (mercadona) which sells wines, soft drinks and food at very competitive prices.
2. Kerp the card in the slot in the room to keep the room cool with the air conditioning.
3 Taxi is €20 from the airport.
4. Try the Pablo restaurant for lunch or dinner.
5 Take a trip up to the marina in benelamadena it is lovely.

All in all though myself and my girlfriend had a great stay and we look forward to returning again soon.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank lukamodric
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear lukamodric,
We really appreciate your very detailed and fair appraisal of your recent stay with us. I think all the points that you make will be very useful to others when it comes to deciding on a holiday destination. I will ensure that your kind words are passed on to all the members of staff that you single out.
I also appreciate your suggstions and we will consider them all as potential ways of improving further. I would like to clarify to any potential travellers that guests in the Don Marco can choose to eat in either of the restaurants in the complex (or swap between them) and while some guests prefer one restaurant there are other who prefer the other.
Thank you again for your great review. I sincerely hope that we have the chance to welcome you again soon.
Jaime Floyer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Hungarian first
Scotland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great Hotel, good location, clean rooms, several pools and never a problem getting a sunbed. Short break me, my friend and our daughters. We stayed half board which we paid when we arrived. 90 Euros per room for 3 nights which was great value approximately £12.50 each. Excellent breakfast. Large choice in the evening and specialty night was excellent. Antonio on reception is very helpful. Lots of nice restaurants nearby. Had excellent fish in one on the other side of the road from the Hotel. Very near the Hotel but did not note the name. There is a great seafood bar in the main town. Mainly Spanish people in it. Not cheap but if you like seafood it is worth it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Heather70
Dear Heather70,
Thank you for writing your review. I am delighted that your quick break was so successful. I am glad that you made the most of Torremolinos and took advantage of some of the great dining available in the area. In front of the hotel is the Bajondillo Beach which stretches for about 3 miles and has a little fish restaurant pretty much every 100 yards. They all do great food so you are spoilt for choice.
I hope that we see you again in the future.
Scotland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice hotel, in my opinion one of the best in Torremolinos and I have stayed in many! Rooms were nice but hard beds. 8 pools to choose from during the day and no probs getting a sunbed. Antonio on reception was very helpful and friendly. We were half board and the night we arrived was a theme night. We were given a flower and a wine on arrival. Food was excellent lots of fresh seafood. Food not so great the next night, but ok. We had lunch in the Don Pablo and did not like it as much as Don Marco, but they did have a chocolate fountain for the kids. Location of this hotel at the seafront close to everything needed for a great holiday. When I go back to Torremolinos I will return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sineadr
Dear sineadr,
I am glad to hear that the girls' weekend went off without a hitch and that you enjoyed the Don marco so much. I appreciate you letting us know that you would return next time you are in Torremolinos. I hope that it is soon!
I have just responded to another reviewer who said that they prefer the Don Pablo dining room to the Don Marco one so it just goes to show how tastes differ and that it is an advantage having the choice of two dining rooms.
Thanks for the review.
Jaime.
Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We have just returned from the Hotel Don Marco, where we enjoyed a really lovely break for a week on a bed and breakfast basis. The hotel is in an excellent location, right on the beach with all amenities nearby. The room was great, very clean and the staff were always polite and very helpful. We enjoyed our breakfast every morning with a wide variety of choices. The pool was quiet and relaxing with warm water and not at all crowded. This hotel had everything that we wanted for our relaxing break. I was delighted with my pedicure in the Spa. Thank you to Marie for her care and attention because it was one of the best treatments that I have ever had and I mean that sincerely. We had super time at this hotel and hope to return soon.
Only one small moan and that it the absence of a kettle in the room. We like our tea in the morning and so took our own small travel kettle.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have best views of the sea.
3 Thank upminstercouple
Dear upminstercouple ,
Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay at the Don Marco. I am glad to see that you enjoyed yourselves so much and that the service and facilities helped to make for a satisfactory break.
We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 28 July 2014

1. We had arranged for transfer from the airport to the hotel on arrival day, but no car turned up, so we had to take a taxi (20 euro - the promised transfer was free of charge...) We told it to the receptionist at arrival, but she showed no interest in this issue. However, there were no problems with the transfer on the day of departure.
2. Our stay was with all meals included, but what a disappointment! The buffet food was very uninspiring and didn't taste of anything. This goes for both breakfast, lunch and dinner - apart from the omelettes in the morning.
3. The hotel offers "entertainment" every night, which means terrible and extremely loud music every night till 11.30 p.m. (some nights even longer).
4. In the bathroom, there were no toilet amenities like shampoo, conditioner etc. - only soap. Quite unusual for a four star hotel.
5. The location is fine, though - practically right om the beach and close to the city centre.
6. Another good thing is the yoga lessons (the teacher does it for free).

I don't know if I will go to Torremolinos again, but I will certainly not stay at this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank Dimitri W
Dear Dimitri W,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay at the Sol Don Marco. I am sorry that you were so disappointed with the hotel. We will take all of your comments into consideration and I hope that we can use them to improve our service.
Reviewed 24 July 2014

We are just back from a week stay in this beautiful hotel. We both really did enjoy it and all the staff we dealt with were pleasant and friendly. The pool areas were exceptionally well kept and there was no shortage of sunbeds or parasols.
Breakfast was good, a few days it was very very busy but that is understandable seeming the hotel was full, even though the hotel was full and the dining room was very busy the standard of food and service was not affected.
Our bedroom was on the third floor and we had a lovely view over the pools and the beach. The housekeeper did an excellent job all week, the room was spotless every day and the towels provided were far better then many other hotels.
Just a few little things that could do with improvement for example the time it took to check in was very slow so perhaps two receptionists at all times would be a benefit. Also for a four star hotel you would expect to have wifi in the bedrooms. The safe and pool towels I feel should be free to use as you are paying a lot of money for the stay.
Overall I would not hesitate in recommending the Sol Don Marco and we are both looking forward to our return visit!!!

Room Tip: initially we were disappointed that we did not receive a seaview room however we discovered that the...
2 Thank Joan Marie O
Dear J O,
Thanks so much for your review and for recommending the hotel. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay so much and really hope that we do see you soon.
We are currently studying all the possibilites regarding WiFi although for the time-bieng we will continue to offer the free service in the lobby and bar areas and charge for the premium high-speed service. As regards pool towels, there is a refundable deposit but we do charge 1€ each time a guest changes their pool towel. This has not always been the case but unfortunately we had guests who would change towels various times every day which was neither eological nor economical. It is a shame, I know.
Thanks again for your review and for your suggestions.
Laval, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2014

The hotel staff is polite, patient and very helpful. The rooms are clean, spacious. Quiet hotel, not noisy. If they do not know the answer to your question, they look it up on the internet. They speak many languages, very impressive.
Beds are hard though...

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

Dear Sylvie J,
Thank you so much for choosing the Sol Don Marco hotel for your trip to Spain.
I appreciate your comments and I am really glad that the staff were able to help you with all your requirements.
I am sorry that you found the beds too hard. We have softer mattresses available for those who prefer them but unfortunately I see that you were not aware of this.
I hope that we might see you again should you visit the Costa del Sol in the future.