“Good staff but no value for money”
Review of Sol Don Marco

Sol Don Marco
Ranked #8 of 71 Hotels in Torremolinos
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Good staff but no value for money”
Reviewed 28 August 2014 via mobile

Just left the hotel after 20 days stay and I must say that "value for money" wasn't there.
First issue was the room, very small, we booked 3 rooms for the whole family, and the one where we were supposed to be 4 was the smallest which was a complete nonsense, we had to switch ourselves between family members.
AC was also a big problem during the whole stay, I don't know if it is a way for the management to reduce cost but the power was at the minimum all the time. Despite daily complains, nothing has been done.
Finally the food was really bad, no tast, no variation from a day to another.
I would have rated well this hotel if the price was lower, then it would have been fair, but with what we had to pay there was no value for money at all.
One last comment is on the staff at the reception and at the bar, I must say that it is probably the most sympatic and pleasant I have ever met. S special thanks to Miguel who's really a customer oriented person and to the barman (I don't recall his name) who was working at the bar close to the reception in the evening, it it people like them who makes you feel on holidays, thanks a lot gents.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank rhadefi
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear rhadefi,
Thank you for your report on your recent stay at the Don Marco. I am so sorry that you did not find the value that you were looking for. I very much appreciate you comments and intend to use them to improve our service further.
I general I would recommend the Don Pablo building for families as the rooms are bigger. The main selling point of the Don Marco within the Sol Don Hotels complex is that it is quieter and more suited to couples.
I have looked into your comments regarding the airconditioning. It is true that if it is turned off when the room is not occupied all day it can take time to cool down, especially when the weather is particularly hot. We will certainly see if it is possible to to increase the refrigeration power.
I will pass on your kind words to Miguel in reception and Miguel Angel in the bar.
Thank you again for your review.
Jaime Floyer.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Hungarian first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 August 2014

Just back from a 1 week stay in this fab hotel. Great location just across the road from beach. Short walk to steps leading to town centre Calle san miguel which has lots of shops. Bus stop is just a top of this street. We took the bus to Fuengirola and Marbella a few times and we walked to Benalmadena marina one night. The hotel is only 10mins from airport to hotel. It has the biggest selection of breakfast choices I have ever seen including champagne! Lots of sunbeds available though we only used them on the last day as we went to the beach every day. Room was good size with plenty of storage space. Beds were comfortable. Nice size balcony. We had requested sea view before we came and our request was met. Bathroom had separate bath and shower which was great. Clean towels provided every day. Rooms were kept spotless by cleaners. Fridge supplied in room. Courtesy room available for quick shower before our late flight home. Staff all very pleasant and helpful. Cant comment on dinners or entertainment at hotel as we went out every night. There is a great bar just across the road from the hotel. There are also a few supermarkets just beside the hotel and lots of places to eat. We chose this hotel as it came recommended to us and we would definitely recommend it to others.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 2012lou
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear 2012lou,
Thank you for choosing the Don Marco and for writing your review on TA. I am delighted that we ticked all the boxes for you. I am also glad to see that you made the most of the great transport infrastructure on the Costa to move around and visit different areas. It is definitely one of the strong points of the destination that there is so much to do and see. Beaching is nice too though!
Thank you for your recommendation. I hope that you too might visit again one day.
Waterford
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This was our second visit to Don Marco. We also came here last year and enjoyed it so much, that we decided to come back. We were not disappointed.

First of all I want to thank a number of the staff personally. I think it is important that this is done as the staff in the hotel make this the hotel what it is.

Miguel, Dani and Danny were excellent as part of the entertainment team. They were always smiling, pleasant and doing as much as possible for us to enjoy our holiday. I love my soccer and there were many games of soccer throughout our 11 day stay.

Javier on reception and Antonio in charge of meals in restaurant were also very helpful.
We thought Antonio was great in the Grease musical at night also

We also found the security man to be a lovely guy. Cleaning staff were excellent.

I also saw the manager of the hotel walking around the complex which is great to see.

There were a number of things that pleased us about the hotel

1 Proximity to the beach
2 Friendly staff who are more than helpful. Familiar faces seem to work there every year which is a great sign,
3 Rooms are kept exceptionally clean. New towels daily which is fantastic.
4. Food is plentiful, tasty and varied ( I cant believe some of the negative reviews here about the food). I have to be honest though I found the food nicer in the Pablo to the Marco.
5. Loads of lovely gardens and pools. You will never wait for a sunbed, plenty of them there.
6. Entertainment team are fantastic and enthusiastic. Great daily games such as soccer and beach volley which I really enjoyed. Also at night the shows were great particularly Grease, the lion king and Mamma Mia.
7. Great security in complex
8 Fantastic value for money

I would definitely give this hotel 5 stars however there are a couple of things which would make it even better.

1. tea/coffee making facilities in room
2. Wifi in room or more wifi spots in hotel perhaps by pool.
3. Air conditioning was loud at night sometimes and made it difficult to sleep. The hotel should possibly look at updating some of the air conditioning.
4. There could be more variety in the dessert although we did find it lovely.
5. The safe could be cheaper or free.

Tips

1 There is a supermarket down the road (mercadona) which sells wines, soft drinks and food at very competitive prices.
2. Kerp the card in the slot in the room to keep the room cool with the air conditioning.
3 Taxi is €20 from the airport.
4. Try the Pablo restaurant for lunch or dinner.
5 Take a trip up to the marina in benelamadena it is lovely.

All in all though myself and my girlfriend had a great stay and we look forward to returning again soon.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank lukamodric
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear lukamodric,
We really appreciate your very detailed and fair appraisal of your recent stay with us. I think all the points that you make will be very useful to others when it comes to deciding on a holiday destination. I will ensure that your kind words are passed on to all the members of staff that you single out.
I also appreciate your suggstions and we will consider them all as potential ways of improving further. I would like to clarify to any potential travellers that guests in the Don Marco can choose to eat in either of the restaurants in the complex (or swap between them) and while some guests prefer one restaurant there are other who prefer the other.
Thank you again for your great review. I sincerely hope that we have the chance to welcome you again soon.
Scotland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Great Hotel, good location, clean rooms, several pools and never a problem getting a sunbed. Short break me, my friend and our daughters. We stayed half board which we paid when we arrived. 90 Euros per room for 3 nights which was great value approximately £12.50 each. Excellent breakfast. Large choice in the evening and specialty night was excellent. Antonio on reception is very helpful. Lots of nice restaurants nearby. Had excellent fish in one on the other side of the road from the Hotel. Very near the Hotel but did not note the name. There is a great seafood bar in the main town. Mainly Spanish people in it. Not cheap but if you like seafood it is worth it.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Heather70
Dear Heather70,
Thank you for writing your review. I am delighted that your quick break was so successful. I am glad that you made the most of Torremolinos and took advantage of some of the great dining available in the area. In front of the hotel is the Bajondillo Beach which stretches for about 3 miles and has a little fish restaurant pretty much every 100 yards. They all do great food so you are spoilt for choice.
I hope that we see you again in the future.
Scotland
Reviewed 5 August 2014

Nice hotel, in my opinion one of the best in Torremolinos and I have stayed in many! Rooms were nice but hard beds. 8 pools to choose from during the day and no probs getting a sunbed. Antonio on reception was very helpful and friendly. We were half board and the night we arrived was a theme night. We were given a flower and a wine on arrival. Food was excellent lots of fresh seafood. Food not so great the next night, but ok. We had lunch in the Don Pablo and did not like it as much as Don Marco, but they did have a chocolate fountain for the kids. Location of this hotel at the seafront close to everything needed for a great holiday. When I go back to Torremolinos I will return to this hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank sineadr
Dear sineadr,
I am glad to hear that the girls' weekend went off without a hitch and that you enjoyed the Don marco so much. I appreciate you letting us know that you would return next time you are in Torremolinos. I hope that it is soon!
I have just responded to another reviewer who said that they prefer the Don Pablo dining room to the Don Marco one so it just goes to show how tastes differ and that it is an advantage having the choice of two dining rooms.
Thanks for the review.
Jaime.
Upminster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We have just returned from the Hotel Don Marco, where we enjoyed a really lovely break for a week on a bed and breakfast basis. The hotel is in an excellent location, right on the beach with all amenities nearby. The room was great, very clean and the staff were always polite and very helpful. We enjoyed our breakfast every morning with a wide variety of choices. The pool was quiet and relaxing with warm water and not at all crowded. This hotel had everything that we wanted for our relaxing break. I was delighted with my pedicure in the Spa. Thank you to Marie for her care and attention because it was one of the best treatments that I have ever had and I mean that sincerely. We had super time at this hotel and hope to return soon.
Only one small moan and that it the absence of a kettle in the room. We like our tea in the morning and so took our own small travel kettle.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have best views of the sea.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank upminstercouple
Dear upminstercouple ,
Thank you so much for taking time to review your recent stay at the Don Marco. I am glad to see that you enjoyed yourselves so much and that the service and facilities helped to make for a satisfactory break.
We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 28 July 2014

1. We had arranged for transfer from the airport to the hotel on arrival day, but no car turned up, so we had to take a taxi (20 euro - the promised transfer was free of charge...) We told it to the receptionist at arrival, but she showed no interest in this issue. However, there were no problems with the transfer on the day of departure.
2. Our stay was with all meals included, but what a disappointment! The buffet food was very uninspiring and didn't taste of anything. This goes for both breakfast, lunch and dinner - apart from the omelettes in the morning.
3. The hotel offers "entertainment" every night, which means terrible and extremely loud music every night till 11.30 p.m. (some nights even longer).
4. In the bathroom, there were no toilet amenities like shampoo, conditioner etc. - only soap. Quite unusual for a four star hotel.
5. The location is fine, though - practically right om the beach and close to the city centre.
6. Another good thing is the yoga lessons (the teacher does it for free).

I don't know if I will go to Torremolinos again, but I will certainly not stay at this place.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International

1 Thank Dimitri W
jaimefloyer, Manager at Sol Don Marco, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear Dimitri W,
Thank you for taking the time to write your review of your stay at the Sol Don Marco. I am sorry that you were so disappointed with the hotel. We will take all of your comments into consideration and I hope that we can use them to improve our service.