“Very poor company”

3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Very poor company”
Reviewed 23 April 2014

We used VDT to take a trip from Marbella to Granada. Our pICK up time was 7.15 at our hotel. We were the third pickup. The bus arrived at 7.40. There followed a further 18 stops for pickups before the journey to Granada began. Our tour guide explained in three languages how it was not his fault and that really there was no point in complaining to him. About 30 minutes from Granada we had a stop for an hour at a petrol station and gift shop. On arriving in Granada there was time to grab a quick lunch and about 45mins to look around. We arrived at Al Hambra at 2.30 and spent over two hours here. This place was absolutely stunning. Back on the bus and after about 45 mins another stop at a petrol station. Really bad food and too few staff to deal with the number of tourists. The journey home was just as bad with slight fewer stops (12) as they decided to spilt the passengers between two coaches. Arrived back at our hotel at 9.00pm. Hungry but too tired to even bother to eat. Granada definitely worth a visit but NOT with VDT

Visited April 2014
5 Thank scamp229

• Slovak first
Kelowna, BC
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Two tours with VDT, pleasant and accomodating staff”
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We used VDT Visit & Daily Tours twice - to Granada and to Seville. I have recently had hip replacement surgery and was not able to do a lot of walking, so a tour was my best option. On both tours our guides were Pilar and Constantin, the driver was different each trip. The bus was almost full on both tours and we were quite impressed with Pilar's ability to conduct the tour in up to four languages, Spanish, English, French, and German. Constantin was along to provide commentary in Russian. In Granada we were afforded time to visit the town centre and Pilar advised us on the best places to find tapas and also how to get the best value. When we reached the Alhambra,the English and German people were handed over to a local guide - Martin - who also provided commentary in those languages. Martin was very knowledgeable about the history and culture of the Alhambra and ensured that the whole group was kept together. After an initial gruelling (to me!) walk up an incline to get the Alhambra Martin assured me that the palace and harem would be on level ground but advised that it would be better for me not to attempt the gardens. He told us where we could go to have a drink and wait for the rest of the group, which several of us with reduced mobility did. The visit to Seville was marred by the rain, but enhanced by the enchanting smell of the bitter orange trees in bloom. For this tour, we had paid for a lunch. Sadly, we did not hear the local guide tell us where to go for this lunch and we ended up back with Pilar with those folks who had not paid for lunch included. Pilar assured us that the hotel would refund our money and showed us where to go for good tapas - she was right about that! Pilar also recommended a boat trip which I would not do again, but in view of the rain and colder weather were happy to be in an enclosed area. When we returned to the hotel, we were refunded the money for the missed lunch with no problem. On each tour, there was a 20 minute (or so) break on the way there and on the way back. Overall, we were happy that we took these tours - Pilar was friendly and helpful and we saw some beautiful things.

Visited March 2014
2 Thank chrisKelowna_BC
Red Deer, Canada
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“VDT no worth using”
Reviewed 10 November 2013

My husband and I used VDT from our resort in Benal Beach just west of Malaga. As with the previous review, our rides to the sights were a couple of hours long due to the multiple pickups along the way. We had originally booked three tours but cancelled our much desired trip to Granada because of the poor quality of the first two. Our first tour to Ronda and Marbella had a guide that was adequate but appeared to not enjoy what he was doing and provided minimal information. After Ronda we stopped in Marbella. According to the tour description we were to have a tour and free time in the old city center. What we got instead was a 20 minute race through the town center and back on the bus. When I asked about the free time, he said "You got the tour, that's what you get" I again questioned the free time and his comment was it would be too late for any free time.
Our second tour to Tanger took four hours to get there. Upon arrival we were taken to around to many places that were interesting and our local guide was informative and interesting. However, it felt like everywhere we went we were being set up to buy things. Even the 'market' to see spices and herbs was really a local pharmacy where, after having different medicinal attributes of herbs and spices were explained we were told to sit there while he went through each product asking who wanted to buy and how many! On the return trip home, we were taken to the ferry more than an hour before it was leaving. I would have appreciated more time walking around. Then to top it off, we arrive back in Spain to only be told our bus had broken down. We were continually told different time frames as to when we would be picked up. One time, being told it would be 1/2 hour I approached the guide after 55 minutes and pointed out the discrepancy. She said to me "So what do you want? You want to punch me in the face?" Bizarre!!! I stated that I would like her to phone her superiors and find out when they would be coming and she said she couldn't call anyone because they were not at the office! We were picked up 3 hours after arriving at the terminal. In total a 16 hour day with only 4 1/2 hours in Tanger.
We cancelled our much desired trip to Granada because of these experiences and missed out on a once-in-a-life opportunity as we did not have time to book another. (it was the next day as we left the day after) Please go to a travel agent to find appropriate tours for these places as there really has to be something better than this.

Visited October 2013
5 Thank Barb B
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 49 helpful votes
“Too many pickups, too little time for visit”
Reviewed 26 September 2013 via mobile

I used Marbella as a base from which to visit the major cities of Andalucia, and I used VDT tours because it had pickups at the hotel near my timeshare. During the week of September 2, I used VDT for four tours (Ronda, Cordoba, Sevilla and Granada). With the exception of Ronda,when we were last, we were always the first pickup. Pickup times varied from 0620 to 0720. On each trip, there followed a seemingly endless number of pickups - at least three hours worth - meaning that despite the early start, we always arrived at our destination between 1100 and noon. Departure was inevitably scheduled for between 1500-1530 (3:00-3:30 pm), giving us between 3-4 hours in each city, counting the hour-long scheduled lunch break. (On our trip to Sevilla, admittedly a long trip from Marbella, the many pickups doubled our travel time and we spent 12 hours on the bus, and only three in the Sevilla, where our tour only included the Cathedral and made no mention of the equally important Alcazar, pushing an expensive boat ride instead!) The absurd amount of time devoted to travel (often extended by lengthy rest stops - the return trip rest stop from Granada lasted over an hour) wasted time that could have been better used to visit our destination. Once at our destination, VDT used local travel guides. These varied widely in quality, the Cordoba guide being engaging, organized and well versed, the Ronda and Sevilla guides being adequate. The guide for Granada, on the other hand, was inexperienced and scattered. Her disorganization was responsible for our leaving Granada without being afforded an opportunity to tour the city after visiting the Alhambra (after complaining loudly, we received a 50% refund on the Granada trip but that did not compensate for having missed a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity). On three of the four days, we had the same expediter - Anita - a surly, short-tempered drill sergeant, who, thinking we could not understand her, passed the time she wasn't doing something tour related making fun of the passengers with the bus driver. One would do much better avoiding this tour company, taking a train or bus and hiring a local guide on arrival, especially from Marbella.the only possible exception would be visiting Granada, as visiting the Alhambra requires advance tickets, which tour companies have easier access to. In the case of Granada, I would go with another tour company.

Visited September 2013