“Great location, great hostal”

Makuto Guesthouse Hostel
Ranked #10 of 144 Speciality Lodging in Granada
Reviewed 14 November 2009

We stayed for 4 nights in the suite of this hostel. You have your own entrance and own kitchen which you share just with one more room. Kitchen is really clean and everything you need. Coffe, Bread, Maremelade.... The suite we had is on the last floor with own bathroom (no door). A Double bed and one more funny place for two people. Views to Alhambra. Close to center. Nice staff. Internet for free. Big garden with a bar and chill out area. I recomend this place to everybody. They have big sleeping rooms, I saw them and they are clean and the bathroom also. The suites are like being at home. You really can enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 18 October 2009

We stayed here for one night on our whirlwind trip across Spain, We arrived early morning and were cheerfully greeted by the staff who helped us find a restroom to get freshned up and gave us coffee. This place to some may sound way out but to us it is located in the most charming part of Granada- the old Arab quarter. Only mini buses can take you upto the hostel along cobbled streets and it takes some searching to find the place. But thats all part of the charm.

Neighbourhood is perfectly safe. and Connectivity to the city centre by the minibuses is good. Or else you can just walk down the cobbled streets to the old city centre. It is relatively far from the Alhambra exactly below it and once there you can see the Arab quarter from the Alhambra walls, a church nearby has splendid views of the Alhambra.

The interiors fall in the shabby- chic category but are charming and well maintained and most importantly clean. They do organize beer parties in the night and we quite enjoyed that with other world travellers. Breakfast which was included was very basic jam and toast.

All in all a fabulous value for money. We would go back there some day.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 October 2009

I've backpacked for 2 of the last 10 years, so I've stayed in all kinds of places and my standards aren't that high, but this place has to rate as one of the worst places I've stayed which is saying something. Where to start... The website is totally out of date, so ignore pretty much everything it says, including the price. (by the way it's cheaper to book online than it is at the hostel). They don't reply to emails (should have been a clue about their complete unprofessionalism). Actually I found it OK getting the bus as the bus stop is at the end of the street. From there it went downhill and didn't improve. This is a smokers hostel - staff smoke whilst doing everything as do many of the guests, so if you're ok with being wafted in smoke constantly then that won't be an issue for you - otherwise it's not that pleasant. The dorm would have been fine as a twin, but they have bunks three high , so cram six people in, with the usual issues of nowhere to put your bags that isn't in the way of everyone. The bottom bunk is on the floor, the top one has a ladder up to it, the middle one was really hard for me at five foot four to get in to. It's hard to describe, but you can't use the ladder as there is a barrier there, and there are wooden bits accross the side, so you have to somehow get over those. The sheets were horrible and the mattress pretty had it. It is one of only two rooms with windows, which you really HAVE to keep open with that many people in there, but the people who live accross the street had a party both nights I was there and it was LOUD all night, plus people coming to the hostel constantly to see members of the staff, ringing on the doorbell etc at all hours. There is one internet terminal in the reception which is free which was good. Breakfast is bread and jam, with tea/coffee. The chillout area was just as another reviewer described it - a place where hippie types, or wanna be hippie types, sit about playing guitars and drums badly and talk about existentialism, whilst smoking of course. There are only 2 showers and 3 toilets and there are LOTS of people at the hostel. It just isn't enough. They even have people sleeping in the hammocks. The shower is one of those push in a button to get water types, but it doesn't work properly, so you get a few seconds water each time. The worst bit is, if someone flushes the toilet or is running water in the sink then the water doesn't come out of the shower properly - it just runs down the wall. Nothing was clean and there's junk everywhere. The water in the tap at the sink is warm only which wasn't that pleasant when brushing my teeth! At midnight the staff go to bed, so they encourage quiet from 12, but it is really a party hostel so everyone goes out and stumbles in later, so it really didn't seem to suit anyone - the party types because they couldn't party there, the good night sleep types cos they didn't get one. There were lots of other little issues like no plugs to charge things - not a problem for everyone of course. The kitchen was just revolting. I guess I'm getting too old for hostels now, but I don't think I'd have liked this one at any age.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
4  Thank travelkitkatnz
Reviewed 6 October 2009

LOCATION is really good couse the Albaicín is one of the best places of Granada. At the same time is crazy to get there at the first time even with a map. And could be not really safe walk alone around there at night.

CLEANLINESS: It looks like a hippie place full of things everywhere. But it's cleaned every day by a woman who is which works more for sure in that place.

ROOMS: I think just two rooms got a window. The rest has no window and almost every room has tree beds bunks. And two of them has no ceiling and share the same of the building, and it's door can't be closed totally, so every noice can be annoying couse the toilet is beside. You can use clean sheet and coverpillow everyday if you want. Eiderdown included.

TOILET: The same for everyone (male and female). But really clean and with towels, soaps..

STAFF: Really kind and nice people, at the same time nor really professional.

Breakfast included, good kitchen with anything, tea and coffee anytime, lockers included, free internet, hammocks, treehouse, tours and events all the time, shishas 5 euros.. (in a teahouse cost 9 or 10)..

Is the best place just to enjoy with the people, have a shisha, teas, do touristic and tapas tour (for free with the staff, music, special dinners and breakfast..

It has the most popular teahouse street of Albaicin and the best tapas street beside.

Is not the best to have a confortable time at night as in a normal hostel.

For sure I will go back there

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 August 2009

Set in the winding streets of the Alabacyn area of Granada, this gorgeous little hostel is a perfect place to unwind after a day sight seeing. The beds are comfy, the staff incredibly helpful and polite and it was quiet at night. I was lucky to get an 8 bed all female dorm room to myself for the night. The bar is fantastic and cheap, the hammocks are a dream and the treehouse is fab. I loved it here and will definitely return with friends in tow. It felt safe, secure and welcome.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Sonia S, Owner at Makuto Guesthouse Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Thank you for the time you have taken to write your review. All feedback is most welcome and we always take on board what our guests say about us.
Thank you for you for your kind words. Makuto is a hostel with lots of character, clean, friendly and cheap, with some great features like our amazing tree house, free wifi, hammocks, chill out area and friendly staff.

Thanks again for your review and all the best for the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2009

As a solo traveller in my early 30s who was looking for a place to hang my hat for the night, Makuto was fine. However, it is not generally the kind of place that I would stay at, as it is geared more toward a younger, hippie-er crowd. This is the kind of place where you hang out a lot with fellow travellers, strumming guitars and talking about existentialism.

The hostel itself was decent: the grounds were cleaned every day and linens were changed every day. They offered lockers for valuables, and a guest computer. I took advantage of the laundry service, which was a nice touch. The breakfast was also decent for a hostel, with toast, juice, coffee, and tea.

I had a nightmare of a time trying to find the hostel in the Albaiycin. I don't know how else to get around this nightmare when you're trying to find it for the first time, but be prepared to get lost for about 1/2 hour.

Overall, my experience was fine, but I probably wouldn't stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 June 2009

When I got to Makuto (and that was a trek in and of itself, trying to find the place using the terrible directions they gave us) i broke a cardinal rule of travel: ask to see the lodging before you hand over the money. Big mistake! Makuto is a totally hippie set up and if you don't mind having to climb over several people to get to your bed, or won't miss fresh air if you sleep in a windowless dorm, then by all means go to Makuto. I got very sketched out by the rickety triple bunk beds and the one bqthroom shared by all the dorms, and when I told the staff I wanted to leave, even forfeit my deposit, they tried hard to get me to stay. That was sweet, but when i put my foot down, they responded by trying to scam me out of the entire price of the three night stay. All in all the reason I got so annoyed at this place is that they seemed really unprofessional and seemed almost perpetually confused: they didnt have a cohesive cancellation policy, seemed unsure of how to work their own computers and were grqceless about my decision to find alternative acoomodation. If you are under 18 I think this place could be super fun in that the parents are out of town type way...otherwise you can do much better for the price in granada!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple