“Best Restaurant in Granada. No contest.”

Restaurante Estrellas de San Nicolas
Reserve with
Restaurante Estrellas de San Nicolas is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #59 of 1,534 Restaurants in Granada
Price range: US$32 - US$127
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 26 July 2014

It is with great enthusiasm that I find myself writing a review for this restaurant, as I feel relieved to finally have found a place in Granada that is worthy of the attribute ¨culinary experience¨. I have eaten at many other restaurants in the city, with famous reputation such as the Santa Paula or Ruta del Veleta, and by no means were they able to impress me with the food they served me the way Estrellas San Nicolas has.

Estrellas de San Nicolas has one obvious advantage from the start, location. With incomparable views of the Alhambra whether it is by day or by night, it is irrefutable: the restaurant´s setting is very attractive (and oh so romantic!). So attractive some might think, that maybe the quality of the food doesn’t deliver, as it is often the case with busy touristy restaurants that take advantage of the location to fool the travellers with high prices and so-so cuisine. Well rest assure, this is not the case at Estrellas de San Nicolas. One thing that can be a little off putting here is the price range of its menu, which is around 50 euros per person and up. If you can overcome this drawback, you are in for a treat.

Now. The key element. The nucleus of a restaurant. The FOOD.

We decided to each go with the fixed menu rather than to go a la carte. The night menu is set at 31 euros (the day one is at 27 euros). It offered the standard appetizer, main and dessert from which there were 3 options in each to chose from. First, we were given a little, yet exquisite, eggplant amuse-bouche before being served our first plate of the night. I had the goat cheese salad, which was served with walnuts and eatable flowers for that little extra touch on presentation. Simple but savoury.

Then, that is when it happened: they brought me the duck confit with pommes de terre au gratin. I was simply blown away. I tip my hat to the chef ! The duck skin was crunchy and salty and when paired with the fruity sauce reduction they were in perfect union. The duck itself just melted in your mouth and the gratin´s creaminess almost felt like a guilty pleasure. To finish off this perfect culinary experience, siting at the very top of the restaurant on the terrace overlooking the Alhambra, came dessert, my personal favourite, crème brûlée. It was spot on, not too big of a portion, and well executed. Not too liquid inside and flambée just so that you hear the perfect cracking noise as you touch it with your spoon.

I recommend this place to everyone who knows how to appreciate a good restaurant, and to all the others who never have, this will be eye-opening and set the standards for the ones to come.

1  Thank ayaph

Reviewed 15 July 2014

overpriced, mediocre food, not impressed by wait staff. way too much for the spectacular view. Wished we had gone to the lighter fare spot just below this restaurant -one with the same view. Would not recommend

Reviewed 14 July 2014 via mobile

We were only in Granada for one night, I picked this restaurant because of the reviews on here; bad decision.

There is no denying that the views are stunning, absolutely wonderful.

The food and service is terrible. The food is extremely rich, everything cooked in butter and cheese. My friends had two different pork dishes and I had duck, there wasn't a vegetable in sight. All three of us had a piece of meat and potatoes. We didn't order starters but the mains came out within 10 minutes, therefore it was not cooked fresh but was reheated (we also received a basket of stale bread at this point). Unfortunately my meal was maybe forgotten as it was cold (totally cold, not just luke warm). I let the waiter know that it was cold, his response was 'ok', he carried on pouring wine for my friends then took my meal away without another word. 10 minutes later I received another meal, no doubt this had been given an extra 2.5 minutes in the microwave. The waiter never even hinted at an apology.

The worst thing is that this restaurant is very expensive for Granada. Minimum €20 for a main course. We felt completely ripped off. There are some amazing traditional Spanish restaurants in the town, walk up and see the views with a glass of sangria. Don't waste your hard-earned on this restaurant. It's nothing but a view.

5  Thank Sally S
Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We reserved a table at this restaurant based on other reviews on trip advisor.

Reserving was easy enough over email a few months back and we were looking forward to eating here.

After spending the day at Alhambra and working up an appetite we arrived at 7:30pm when the restaurant opens and were taken to our table on the top floor overlooking the Alhambra and the city too. Trust me, the views from here are excellent!

Our waiter was a young guy who spoke relatively good English and made us feel welcome indeed.

For starters my wife has the chilled tomato soup which looked lovely and presented very well but tasted exactly the same as one you get from a carton at the local supermarket. I had the goats cheese salad which was bland and the olive oil tasteless.

For the main course we both spotted the bulls tail and honestly thought we were going to get a serious flavour sensation, but what arrived was clearly something cooked a week or so ago and reheated, placed into a square shape and served with some chilled & puffed potatoes and a bland reheated sauce. A shame really.

I ate mine but my wife didn't finish hers.

Usually my wife orders desert but she wasn't interested which I have learnt means she doesn't like the food at all, but I was still hungry so got the pancakes with chocolate which as ok.

A real shame about the food but for €100 I expected a lot more.

2  Thank FunkMaster007
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The square at San Nicolas church is surrounded by restaurants because it offers a fantastic view of the Alhambra, we chose this one based on recommendation. We had a great evening.
For our meal we had the 3 course set menu, it offered a good selection at an acceptable price. The service was good, informal but efficient.
We were especially lucky to be seated on the third floor open terrace on the balcony edge, so our view was unobstructed. Booking is advisable and I recommend this spot.
This is a fantastic place to watch the sunset and the Alhambra change colour and form as it doe, you pay for the privilege. Our meal with a bottle of wine and service charge cost £85.
For the experience I highly recommend Estrellas.