“Great locations and rooms”
Review of Shine Albayzin

Shine Albayzin
Ranked #36 of 124 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 18 January 2013

My first time in Spain and in Granada, this was a great hotel located between the Alhambra and the Albayzin -- going out at night and in the day was not an issue at all. My room was wonderful (ask for a room facing the river for a view of the Alhambra) , clean and uncluttered with modern amenities. I agree w other reviewers, the room could do with more lighting. And it's only suitable for sharing with someone very very close as the toilet and bathroom are full glass, there is no privacy in the room. There is no wi-fi inside the room but that's not a big deal for me. Staff was extremely friendly, even gave me a walking map of the area. Really excellent value for the price I paid, I was very surprised. I was there in November so it was cold and wet, so I probably would not go back to Granada at that time of year.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river. If you want more space, the suite is very nice.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank DogbertBlackie

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Very nice cozy old style hotel bang in the heart of the old town ... But be warned that the street in front of the hotel is very narrow and cars cannot stop there for longer than 5 mins.
The suite was very spacious and comfortable on the topmost floor (301)... But the room has a staircase soon after the entrance and thats a minus for families with small kids, strollers etc. Also we had only a sliver of a view of the Alhambra from the room window even though we were told it would be much more.
The decor of the room and the courtyard outside it is charming. But no telephone/intercom line is there so every time u need something u have to physically go down on the elevator and tell the receptionist !!
Also the cleaning staff didn't do much cleaning every day ... Only made the bed basically

The receptionists are all very helpful and speak good English. Must mention Carmen for her excellent service.
The breakfast is a bit lackluster however the staff are very accommodating and sometimes stretch the timings to 12 noon which worked out great for us as we have two small kids!
Overall highly recommended accommodation as its very close to Alhambra and flamenco show venues and there a several lovely eateries and grocery stores walking distance from the hotel.

Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank tjafary
Reviewed 30 October 2012

My husband and I stayed here after our wedding, along with 8 guests from the wedding party. We reserved a suite, and the other guests chose to stay in simple rooms. The simple rooms were exactly that: simple! There were no windows in the rooms, save the ones that look out into the hotel. My friends chose to keep them closed in order to have privacy, but this made the room seem even smaller and darker. The suite my husband and I stayed in was absolutely beautiful, with a delicate and ornate wood-carved ceiling. The furnishings were surprisingly modern and blended well with the ornate wood fixtures of the room. There were also beautiful views of the top of the Alhambra. The downside was the bathroom: the door is glass, leaving no privacy. What's worse was the bathroom doesn't have walls that reach the ceiling, so in a sense, the shower and toilet are in a stall with a see-through door. Anyone in your room can see, and hear, all that is happening in the bathroom.

Room Tip: Be sure to book a suite here - the only reason to stay at this hotel is the remarkably ornate detail...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2012

This hotel is nice and cozy. You have the feeling of old time Granada and is just walking distance from Old Town. The only thing I didn't like is that the bathroom is very dark. You can't style your hair or do your makeup there, and it has no ventilation either. But overall it's a very nice hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 8Andrea
Reviewed 3 October 2012

The location was great for this beautiful building with amazing views if you book the appropriate rooms facing the Alhambra. The fact that Shine Albayzin has limited rooms makes it very special to bring peace and individuality.The girls working during the day were very helpful and friendly by giving useful advice.
With regards to the rooms:
1)We think that an investment in better quality mattresses and pillows would be brilliant.
2)To have Internet connection in the room will be helpful to avoid sitting in the common areas. 3)Enough hot water should be available for two people to take a shower.
We have enjoyed our stay and can recommend this hotel to other travelers.
Just a note for those arriving by car. Granada has limited parking and it can get expensive.

Room Tip: Any rooms facing the Alhambra from the 2nd floor and upwards as the street can get busy during the n...
Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank dxbme
Reviewed 12 September 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights only, but it was satisfying. Met a mexican couple who was so satisfied they prolonged their stay.

The room was big enough for me, my mother and our huge suitcase. We didn't experience the hot water trouble, like some said on previous reviews. Aircon on room is very useful since we were there during the summer.
We didn't take the room with the view, but it's okay for us because we're almost always outside the hotel. We also didn't get the breakfast buffet. We saw that it was only a selection of breads, cold cuts, juices and coffee/tea. In my opinion it wasn't worth the price.
The hotel location is very close to Plaza Nueva (if I'm not mistaken), and there are lots of restaurants there.

They have one guy who apparently doesn't speak English at all, and he seems to be the one in charge for night duty. But the girls who were in charge during the day spoke English very well, recommend us a particular restaurant that she thought we might like, and booked us a taxi for our super-early flight from Malaga airport.

Room Tip: If you have the extra cash, choose room with Alhambra view.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank GaiaRahardjo
Reviewed 20 August 2012

We were recommended this hotel by a friend and we weren't disappointed. It took us a little while to find and it almost has an anonymous front door but the central courtyard was delightful and gave a real moorish feel to the whole place. The room was huge and very modern with nice views. We felt very central and felt the location was excellent. I wasn't expecting too much on the service front, as we tend to do our own thing anyway, they booked a taxi for us when we went out and recommended a couple of places to eat which was enough for me. We didn't bother with breakfast as we like to try something different each day, which again I know doesn't suit everyone but was fine for us.
My only criticism was the open plan shower and loo, which required a certain amount of singing at different times of the day, but my husband and I have been married for sixteen years, so we take that sort of thing in our stride, may be a bit off putting for a romantic mini break!
I would certain stay again and we loved Granada so it is likely in the near future.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple