“Flamenco experience”

Cuevas Los Tarantos
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Granada Sacramonte Caves Flamenco Show with...
Ranked #10 of 23 Concerts & Shows in Granada
Reviewed 3 May 2014

I wanted a taste of flamenco during my trip to Spain and opted for an evening with Cuevas los Tarantos. Was picked up by the company's bus close to my hotel and taken to the Camino del Sacromonte for a couple of hours watching a group of male and female flamenco dancers, accompanied by some superb musicians. A free drink is included. While this evening is really geared for tourists, if you have limited time, it will give you a good idea of the power and passion of flamenco. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Afterwards we walked through the streets of the Albaicin and saw the Alhambra Palace lit at night, before being picked up by bus and returned to our hotels. A memorable experience.

1  Thank Kate P
in 2 reviews
in 4 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed 20 February 2014

I took a group of about 50 to Granada. We stayed in a lovely hotel - The AC Palacio de Santa Paula and really loved Granada.. I normally do not complain but I felt that I should share with you a very unfortunate experience that we had. We went to Caves los Tarantos
for a Flamenco dance and dinner. It was the worst event of the entire 10 day trip through Spain and Portugal. We were treated very badly . We were served a dinner that was not what we ordered. There were several people in our group that do not eat pork. When I booked this venue I was given a menu that did not include pork. Not only were we served pork but the meal was horrible. The cost was 60 euros per person, which equals about $84 each. We had a group of 49 so the total charges were over $4,000.00. The meal came with 1 drink and the dessert was store bought ice cream. The meal also included fried fish rings that were made from pulverized fish. We were suppose to be served beef or fish and were served cured meats , a pork dish and these fish rings. The room was smokey due to the fact that the manager and others were sitting in the entrance way smoking the entire evening ( there is no indoor smoking allowed in public areas in Granada). I saw there was a fan to turn on but they would not turn it on. It was hot and very uncomfortable.We were told to leave for a group picture and our drinks and desserts were removed from our tables. So when we returned we had to pay for another drink. The entire evening we felt uncomfortable and were concerned when we were rushed out of the restaurant following dinner so the dance stage could be set up. Some of the group refused to walk away from the restaurant due to safety concerns. Everyone in the restaurant pretended to not understand English so they were not helpful at all. We were treated rudely. The restaurant and dancers were all gypsies. I waited 30 minutes to speak to the manager to voice our concerns. My group told me not to converse with him because they were uncomfortable in that atmosphere and felt unsafe. The dance was satisfactory. It was very loud and really too long. The cave was so hot and smokey, [we were there in November] that it was difficult to enjoy the show. I have taken about 20 trips to Europe with large groups. This is truly the worst experience I ever had. We loved Spain and would recommend Granada but stay away from the Flamenco Shows.

9  Thank Marylide
Reviewed 12 February 2014

I went to a Flamenco here with some friends and it was awesome. We got the drink and show for 25 euro which seems a bit pricey but these dancers/singers were good and they deserved it. The show lasted about an hour. The only bad thing was the obnoxious large group of Americans next to us, so I would suggest going in a smaller group. It was a fun time. :)

1  Thank LizzyOLoughlin
Reviewed 12 November 2013

Flamenco is something one should see when in Spain. Thus, most Flamenco shows will be stir toward tourists. So, seeing people complaining about that this place is a tourist trap is kind of annoying. Any Flamenco show will be a tourist trap if you have to pay for it, and you are not a local. Come on people. We were introduced to this place by the front desk people in our hotel, which immediately recommended the show, but not to food in the place. We were picked up by a bus at a nearby street from our hotel. The show included a tour of El Albaicin. We walked the winding street of the neighborhood, and were able to see La Alhambra at night, before arriving at La Cueva. The show was awesome to me. We enjoyed seeing 7 dancers given all they got at the rythm of great flamenco music. The experience is very personal. One is sitting just next to where the dancers are going at it. This may be gross, but if you are mistic and don't like other people's sweat splashing on you, don't sit next to the stage. Other than that, I thought that the energy presented by the dancers and the musicians was superb. The ambience was absolutely adequate for the show. And the touring company that took us there did a decent job, although at the end we were abandoned by our tour guide. He may not be associated with La Cueva though. All-in-all, we were glad to be here to experience such a great show.

3  Thank Manny N