“Alhambra palace hotel”

Hotel Alhambra Palace
Ranked #16 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 24 April 2014

Good rooms. A bit overpriced. Beautiful location very close to Alhambra gardens so you may go on foot and be there in 10 minutes though uphill. The best is a view from the terrace where they have restaurant and tapas bar. Restaurant is overpriced though you pay for the view.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
IDURAN, Director Comercial at Hotel Alhambra Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. We are glad you enjoy your stay with us. We hope to see you soon so we can thank you personally.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We loved the Alhambra Palace Hotel. It is a classic old hotel that has been meticulously kept up. It was a little tricky getting to the hotel with our rental car (it was holy week and the town of Granada was wonderfully crazy with people). But once we were there the staff was excellent and got us checked in without problems. They even were able to find us an onsite parking spot, something that I gather is tough (they have offsite parking for $15 euros per day). The rooms were fine; again, recently updated. Our windows opened up to the street that feeds the Alhambra, so it was fun to people watch from the room.

We ate at the restaurant, which was good. What we really enjoyed was the outdoor drinks area that had killer views of the town of Granada (and beyond). Beers, wine, coffee and cake; what could be better. Bartender and servers were really friendly and tolerated our terrible Spanish admirably.

We loved the location up at the top of the hill. Good exercise getting from the town to the hotel. I can see how it might be a problem for some, though (it can't be more than a 10 minute cab ride from the town center. Also, if you're touring the Alhambra you can't beat the 5 minute walk.

Great stay. Would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your comment. Comment like this is what make staffs keep working as if it were the first day. We are glad you enjoy your stay with us and we hope you feel like home. We would love to see you soon again to thank your great comment personally.

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We spent 2 nights here in late March. If the weather had been a little nicer we could have taken better advantage of the spectacular patios off the lobby and our room. The hotel is beautiful, and the rooms were clean and comfortable. The restaurant is quite good, with lots of variety – far above the average hotel restaurant in Spain. We ended up having dinner there both nights. It’s about a 10-15 minute walk to the Alhambra, but for some reason on the way back the route to the hotel was not obvious, so get a good map or directions from the hotel staff. Overall, a delightful stay – highly recommended!

Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 April 2014

The Hotel Alhambra Palace is a first for me - the hotel is close to great but the staff are appalling!

Starting with the shocking stuff:
a. There is very limited parking outside the hotel and when we got there it was mayhem - taxis, buses, cars all blocking the road and parking area. There is a valet but he is the invisible man and doesn't want to get involved in the mayhem. And the hotel has a very small number of spaces, once these are full the valet won't valet your car (so the valet become a "non-valet").
b. At check-in I asked where I could park and I was given a list of public parking but no map to see where these are. I repeatedly asked where the parking places are and the check-in staff kept pointing at the list. In the end I was able to ascertain that I should park at the Alhambra. I asked how to get there and the check-in staff kept repeating "the Alhambra". They live in Granada so they know where the the Alhambra is - I had been in Granada 5 minutes and they expect me to know my way around. In the end I had to shout that I need a map, then I was given a map. I had to demand they show me on the map how to get to the Alhambra, they pointed to me. Then I had to demand they mark on the map how to get to the parking. I have to tell you that it is not straight forward and even after having a map with the pen marks I had to do two loops to find the parking.
c. The check-in is a shambles. They gave me a twin room. I said we had booked a double. They showed me that I had not booked a double and I had only asked for a view. Then the check-in staff told me they don't have doubles and reminded me that I had not booked one. I went to my assigned room and retrieved a copy of my booking which is from the hotel's own web site - it states I had a double room. I showed this to the check-in staff who and gave me a Spanish shrug.
d. We were told the public parking is "400 meters" from the hotel. It isn't. I play golf and I can pace 400 meters (440 yards). I had to make the walk numerous times over our 3 day stay and I promise you it is more like 800 to 1000 yards even when you get the optimal parking location.

The not so good stuff:
a. The room was ok - some very nice features but they have a horrid grey headboard and grey bed cover which detracts from what would be a splendid room.
b. There are steps everywhere and you have to wheel your own bags - the bell boy is another "invisible man"

What I liked:
a. The hotel has wonderful public areas, like a real palace. The dining hall is amazing, the bar terrace has incredible views.
b. The bathrooms have beautiful titles - probably the originals from 1910
c. The hotel has character - the plumbing is very old and the shower goes hot and cold but I like the quirks - it is not a corporate cookie cut hotel
d. The hotel is quiet and the beds comfortable - I had a good nights sleep

In summary. I think I would stay at the hotel again because of the amazing character of the physical building. But the staff are so dreadful they could seriously give you a heart attack. I have stayed at hundreds of hotels (many in Spain) and have never come across such incredible behaviour (like immigration officials in third world countries). The staff really don't care and the guests are an inconvenience to them.

Room Tip: Either side of the hotel is good, a view of the city or of the trees.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank BertBantham
IDURAN, Director Comercial at Hotel Alhambra Palace, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2014

Dear guest,
Thank you for your comment. Thanks to it we do our best to improve. However, we would like to inform you that as you can read on the hundred of comments of tripadvis, the hotel staff is value excellent. We are sorry if at the moment you arrive the bell boy couldn’t help you with your bags he probably was helping the arrival earlier, this may happen if the arrivals coincide at the check in. We also apologize for the misunderstanding with the room. Regarding the parking we do have a limited parking at the entrance of the hotel but we also have a valet service that for 15€ per day a valet take your car to another parking in case there is no more space at the entrance parking and you don’t want to take your car to the Alhambra parking 15 minutes by walking away from the hotel. We hope to see you again so we can thank you personally.

Reviewed 18 April 2014

We were in a small touring group and this hotel was chosen for us for a two night stay while we visited the Alhambra location. It was an excellent choice. As others have said, you get superb views across the city and are within a few minutes walk of the Alhambra. It's also a nice walk down into the city though you'd probably want to get a taxi back up hill! The staff were great and the rooms very comfortable. We had one group meal which was very nice and the breakfast buffet was excellent. The bathroom was well-equipped with a nice long bath though a little shallow. It did take a while to work out how to use the taps though! Faultless service.

Room Tip: Modern taps on 1st and 2nd floors rather annoying. Apparently those higher haven't been upgraded...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank camdencalling
Reviewed 15 April 2014

My wife, daughter, and I stayed here two nights (4/13-14) and enjoyed our stay very much. Basically, it was a double room with an extra bed, a bit tight, but since it was only two nights, it was fine. The room was easy to move around in, bathroom was large and well appointed. We had the breakfast with our room, and it was nice. Buffet style with many choices (eggs, meat, veggies, bread cereal). If you are looking for a 4 to 5 star experience in Granada, I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank BlueJetDude
Reviewed 15 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a night. Cost was $185Sin for a normal room without breakfast or city view. Hotel was once a Palace and is just 5 mins walk to Alhambra Palace and 10 mins to Albacin the city area. Room is clean and basic. Superb view of the city and the restaurant has a lovely view. Free car park for those who drive.

• Stayed: March 2014