“Great value but needs refreshing”

Hotel Comfort Dauro 2
Ranked #22 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 27 January 2011

I picked this hotel based on Tripadvisor reviews for my one-week stay in Granada. Overall, I was very satisfied with my choice. This hotel offers very good value for money. It is very centrally located. My room was large and my request for a quiet room was fulfilled - in the sense that I wasn't overlooking the pedestrian street. However, I did end up in a room between two halves of a family that included several shrieking kids, with people walking back and forth between the rooms and talking in the halls. (Not exactly my definition of a quiet room.)

The breakfast included in the room rate is basic but adequate (e.g.,scrambled eggs, bacon, cold eggs, meats, cheese, breads, pastries, fresh fruit, juice, coffee) - I wouldn't pay extra for it but was glad to have it included in my rate. I also was pleased to have free Wifi for the week I was there.

My only real complaint is that the rooms need refreshing. My room certainly was looking a bit worn around the edges - a fresh coat of paint would be nice. I certainly would stay here again and would recommend it to others on a budget.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo

Reviewed 18 January 2011

we had two nights here. Our room was smallish and looked over the pedestrian street at the front. Whilst there was a bit of noise from all the restaurants in the street, it didnt go late and we slept well. Bigger than normal bathroom for Europe, although water gets everywhere (a common hotel issue with showers in baths). Fantastic location - you can walk everywhere in Granada from here and there are heaps of restaurants. Very helpful staff. Overall really good value, clean and with a great atmosphere

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2011

Have just spent 4 nights at this hotel and it was perfect - the location is great, the rooms were spotless and heated (a must at this time of year though the sun shone every day), the staff were very friendly and courteous and the breakfast was excellent. My room looked out to the street and on Saturday night things got a bit hectic later on at all the restaurants - but don't come to Spain if you want to be tucked up in bed by 9pm! The positive side is that there are plenty places to eat right beside the hotel. Granada is a fantastic city, don't miss it, obviously everyone comes to see the Alhambra (which is stunning) but take time to wander round the different districts of the city - it's an interesting and diverse place.
Would go back to the Dauro II any day - for 50 Euros a night it was an absolute bargain.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I stayed at best western dauro after christmas with my husband and a teenager. I stayed in granada for 2 days. The reception at the hotel is very attentive and nice. The hotel is in a very good location ( only pedestrians). Rooms are a bit dated . I didn't like the breakfast. They didn't care when food was missing. Only one computer at the lobby. Comparing to best western atlantico in madrid you realize it's not the same owner. Best western dauro is 2 to 3 stars and best western atlantico seems 4-5 stars.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 December 2010

I absolutely loved this hotel. The staff were so friendly and helpful. The room was huge and quiet which is not typical in European hotels. My room was next to the elevator and I was never disrupted. There is a cafeteria in the hotel where we had breakfast one morning. It was free which is the only reason we ate there. It was average. There is also a restaurant next door to the hotel where we ate three times because it was so good and reasonably priced. The location is very good; Granada is small so everything is pretty close by. We took a shuttle bus (5 minute walk away) to the Alhambra. It's definitely walkable but the weather wasn't great for walking uphill. It about a ten minute walk to Plaza Nueva. Plaza Nueva had nice restaurants and was a nice shopping area. There's a shuttle bus that goes to Plaza de San Nicolas, a wonderful spot to look at Granada from above. I would highly recommend a stay in Granada, especially at this hotel. Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful!

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed 19 December 2010

The hotel is located in a small lane and we had to lug our own baggage to reception. This is definitely not 4-star as stated on trip advisor . Rooms are small. Bathroom layout is tight so that the floor gets wet when a shower is taken. Wi fi is great!

• Stayed: December 2010
NachoGranada, Propietario at Hotel Comfort Dauro 2, responded to this reviewResponded 24 December 2010

Thank you for your review. I am sorry that your experience in the hotel was not up to your expectations. I´d like to note that the official hotel category is 3 stars . The stars we have in tripadviror (4 1/2) are the result of the scores given by the customers themselves. In relation to the size of the rooms, it is true that some are smaller than others. The hotel is the result of the rehabilitation and connection of three old buildings and the rooms are quite irregular.
I am sorry again.
yours

Reviewed 19 November 2010

We were able to secure a last minute booking at the Best Western Dauro II and we were extremely please with the hotel. The value for the location, cleanliness, size of rooms and overall comfort was not matched during the rest of our trip. The beds are extremely comfortable and the rooms larger than average European hotel rooms. The front desk is understaffed with just one employee and they are polite but not overall helpful. Don't look elsewhere if you can secure a room here.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends