“Great location, wonderful room, great price”
Review of Los Tilos

Los Tilos
Ranked #43 of 122 Hotels in Granada
Reviewed 1 August 2009

Greta location. We flew in Granada airport and were quickly shuttled to the city center on a bus, from which it was a 5-10 minute walk to the hotel. We were pleasantly surprised - cozy, pretty spacious (not bathroom though). Good (included) breakfast selection. The only minus - there was no view from the window - looked out on the interior gloomy 'courtyard'. They had AC. When leaving the hotel - you step out on a really nice little plaza that has food, flowers, sculpture and waterfountain. Overall - great value (especially compared to what we paid in other Spanish and Italian cities).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 24 June 2009

I see that other reviews note apathetic or even hostile staff at this hotel. Our experience there was mostly good, with the exception of one very grumpy man who seemed to work only late at night. He WAS impatient and cantankerous. I interacted with the owner a couple of times, and he was helpful. And two or three younger (20's) staff were very helpful, and assisted in English when my poor Spanish proved inadequate.
I was so smitten with this city that I probably would have been okay sleeping in a WC, but I think this hotel is a good value. The fourth floor terrace is small, but has a lovely view of the Al-Hambra and the Cathedral. Take a cool drink up there, and three hours of "gaze time" will pass in a flash. The room was clean, and the AC worked really well. I travelled with two teenagers, and they LOVED the breakfast. We did not drive, so encountered none of the parking difficulties described by other reviewers. The property IS centrally located, considering the compact size of the city. I agree that the surrounding restaurants and cafes are overpriced, but other choices are easily accessible. And the adjacent Plaza de Bib-Rambla is lively and fun, with both tourists and locals with their children out at all times, enjoying this beautiful city.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 May 2009

I wish I had checked Trip Advisor before staying here. All the complaints in the prior reviews are spot-on. I booked our room while in Spain over the phone. (My Spanish is fluent; the staff speaks little or no English.) I asked about parking because we were driving to Granada (the train schedule there is impossible). I was told there were five garages within a block of the hotel. I was NOT told that the hotel is in a pedestrian zone; the closest garage is three blocks away. I was also not told that there is a restricted "bus/taxi only" zone around the pedestrian zone and only one route is approved for accessing the garages nearest to this hotel; the street signage does say the zone is restricted "except for access to hotels", but doesn't specify which hotels. This I learned only upon arrival, when I had already incurred a fine trying to find the hotel. When I asked for help getting the fine taken care of which the hotels are equipped to do, the desk clerk told me it was impossible because I drove in on the wrong route (known only to each individual hotel, so I should have been informed of this when I made the reservation). I asked to speak to the manager (who claims he is also the owner). I complained about being given misinformation about the distance to the nearest garage and the proper route to take to avoid a fine, and I also pointed out that if one has luggage, three blocks is quite a distance, esp. for my 77 year-old mother. He said (and I quote), "It's not my fault you brought your 80 year old mother to Spain." When I insisted that I should have been informed about the restricted zone and not misled about the distance from the hotel to the nearest garage and that it was his obligation to assist me with the fine, he started yelling at me and at one point even put his hands on me. This is a man who needs anger management classes and a course in hotel management. When the manager refused to help me with get the fine taken care of, I said I would post a review on Trip Advisor and he said he couldn't care less; now I know why. Parenthetically, I would add that if you are driving to Granada, it's best to stay near the Alhambra. There's not much to see downtown anyway; Cordoba and Sevilla have much lovelier historic centers.

• Stayed: January 2009
3  Thank cassandra2009
Reviewed 26 January 2009

Just had four fabulous days in Granada, staying ina very elegant and comfortable room in Los Tilos in the Plaza de Bibrrambla . My room overlooked the cathedral and from the terrace there were stunning views of the Alhambra and jewel coloured terraces.
The hotel is in a great location for seeing Granada, central to more conventional shops and also the the Moorish area of Albicin. Breakfast time was a very civilised 7 till 10, with a good array of Spanish delicacies and there are plenty of restaurants nd cafes nearby for tapas and tortillas. I didn't find the location too noisy and my mother, sister and I would defintely go back.
Penny Halliday

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank PinguinoOxford
Reviewed 7 November 2007

The staff is very rude and not helpful. When we arrived one of the first things the guy at the front desk says is that he doesn't speak English. I don't speak Spanish so it was down hill from there. Rick Steves' guide book says that this hotel has parking....it does NOT. I showed the front desk guy where it says that in the guidebook and he just mumbled something Spanish that I think meant it was a mistake. So, now we've driven our car into the area that is only for buses, taxis, or hotel guests. Me aka hotel guest. Our guide book says to tell the hotel staff to call the police and give them your license plate number or you will get a fine. The hotel staff refused to contact the police for us. They pretty much said that they just can't do that....whatever. Then, on the last night I attempted to have them contact the police again. The guy gave me the same bull, but I think I asked him, "Why Not??" about contacting the police five time and then he finally gave in and said, "Ok." He then clicks on a shortcut link on the desktop of his computer. Types in my name, dates I'm staying at the hotel, and my license plate number....and voila it is done. How hard was that?

Then, Rick Steves' guidebook says that it is 65 euros a night here with tax included. They say that it is 70 which is ok and I understand the rate changes some, but then they say I also have to pay the 7% tax. I don't know if I should be mad at the hotel or Rick Steves' Guidebook.

The hotel also reeks of diesel fuel and I think they are trying to cover it up with Clorox because that is the other overwhelming smell you get here. The rooms are clean with A/C and a small safe in the closet.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank Andrea327
Reviewed 6 November 2007

The price was inexpensive, the location was handy but this place and its staff has all of the charm of a bus station. The elevator and the common areas all reeked of diesel fuel or heating oil, very unappetizing at breakfast time. The reception staff varied from indifferent to absolutely rude. The hotel is hard to find and the parking is several blocks away in an expensive public garage. The square where the hotel is located has only tourist-type restaurants and can be a bit noisy. The room and bathroom were OK but basic. Best to leave this hotel to the tour groups that it seems to cater to and never use it if you have a car.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 31 October 2007

Granada is such a fun, beautiful city and Hotel Los Tilos was the perfect fit for us to experience the city. Was a little difficult to get replies by email for a reservation, but as soon as I emailed in Spanish I got a reply right away (just FYI for those of you trying to get through). I asked for a room with a view (no extra cost) and our room was beautiful. The plaza below is so quaint and fun and it is completely dead late at night so unless you go to bed early I don't see how noise would be a problem. Everything in our room functioned perfectly well and was very clean. The staff are grumpy compared to customer service standards in the US but you have to realize that this is a cultural thing. You should be expected to find this at most hotels throughout Spain - stiff, stoic professionalism. I found it fun to try to get them to smile everytime we came and went at the hotel...and they did. They honored a 10% discount in the 2007 Rick Steves' guidebook making it even more of a steal to stay there. A great home base to explore all throughout Granada - on flat ground and public transportation very easily accessible.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple