“We would definitely stay here again!”

and 1 more site!
Casa del Aljarife - Granada
Ranked #7 of 97 Granada B&B and Inns
San Diego, CA
“We would definitely stay here again!”
Reviewed 8 July 2011

My family and I stayed here in June 2011, and would definitely return. The proprietor, Mr. Most, is incredibly helpful and accommodating. We really enjoyed talking with him and being his guests. When we arrived, he kindly met us in the easy-to-find Plaza Nueva and guided us to his secure parking space. Then, he helped carry our bags to the hotel. He gave us great restaurant recommendations and site-seeing advice, and served nice breakfasts in the mornings, at whatever time we chose. We stayed in the Senior Suite, which included a spacious bedroom with a king-size bed and A/C, plus another large room with two twin beds at one end and two sofas, a TV and fireplace at the other end, plus 1.5 baths. The whole suite was very clean and comfortable. The only negative was that it did get a little warm in the larger room because there was no A/C there, but Mr. Most did supply a fan. We very pleased to find a computer in the lobby area with free Internet for guests, and a nice enclosed patio where we enjoyed our breakfasts. All in all, it was a nice place to stay in an interesting, colorful part of town.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Finnish first
Paso Robles, California
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Stayed for two nights during recent vacation trip to Spain. We booked the junior suite, which was very nice. After having driven a rental car in Southern Spain for a few days, I was not looking forward to finding the owner's "difficult to find" parking space, so I opted for a more convenient parking garage a further distance away that he recommended on his website. I called Mr. Most for directrions after exiting the car park in the rain and he proceeded to yell at me for not following his directions. Once we walked 7 blocks to his assigned meeting spot, he led us up steep narrow streets and finally arrived at the Casa. Everything was fine upon check in, however when my wife asked for the pass code to the wireless internet, she was told NO twice, then he gave it to her.. At breakfast on the 2nd day, I killed many ants on the breakfast table that were trying to get into the honey container on the table. I ended up moving the container to a side table. Mr. Most came out of the kitchen and proceeded to put the honey back on the table in front of me. I explained that I moved it to keep the ants off my breakfast and he then told me "Then just kill ze ants", turned around and marched back into the kitchen. We enjoyed the quiet location, however the attitude of the owner was not acceptable. We will not stay there again.

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank KillerEatz
London, UK
Reviewed 2 October 2010

You can’t beat the location, in the heart of the old town of tiny twisty streets on the Albaicin hill – we even had a view of the Alhambra from our window. The rooms are beautiful and spacious, the bathrooms are modern, and all set around an attractive courtyard. The only reservation I have is about the owner, and only really with his manner and communication. He does everything he can to help, recommends restaurants, helps with directions and bookings, etc. It’s just that his manner makes it feel like you are going to see a rather fierce headmaster, who likes everything to be correctly regimented and sometimes barks a refusal to an out-of-place request (like to use an iron – the words he was saying were a perfectly polite refulsal, it’s just the way they were said). Also watch out that he runs the establishment single-handed, so if he happens to be out there’s no ‘front desk’ you can go to for help or to order drinks or to check out, etc.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank jopycroft
Sudbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 August 2010

I introduced myself rudely to the proprietor, Christian Most, thinking his directions inadequate and having just dragged my luggage up many steep and narrow Granada streets in the mid-day August heat trying to find Casa del Aljarife. I immediately regretted my behavior, but Herr Most responded with courtesy and helped us into our rooms (which are air conditioned, so we could cool down quickly). He even carried our bags up the stairs, and I discovered that we had not, in fact, followed his directions but rather the thoroughly inadequate directions in our guide book. Once settled, it took me all of five minutes to see that this was the loveliest hotel/inn/bed & breakfast I had ever stayed in. It is, in fact, a home, that Christian and his wife have beautifully renovated and share with those guests fortunate enough to discover it. The rooms are lovely and the views of the Albaicin and of the Alhambra are fantastic. The courtyard is beautiful. The location is perfect--well within the Albaicin yet within easy (as we eventually found out!) walking distance of the Plaza Nueva. There is a nearby restaurant that is liking dining in the Garden of Eden. Christian provides a detailed map of of the area plus his personal recommendations of local restaurants/tapas bars and worthy sights other than the Alhambra. Christian was a most (pun intended) gracious host, charming and with a wry sense of humor. I really did want to move in with him and live out my days in the Casa del Aljarife. I not only recommend it to anyone traveling to Granada; I fully expect that it will be the only place I will ever stay on any future visit to Granada, and that if it is fully booked, I will change my travel plans in order to stay there. It is that good.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Bel Air, Maryland
Reviewed 8 July 2010

Casa del Aljarife is a lovely place and we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Mr. Most is hospitable and prepares a wonderful breakfast. The large suite was well suited for our family of 4. We highly recommend the Inn.
Brian & Sharon
Bel Air, Maryland

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank BelAirtravelers_10
Alice Springs
Reviewed 1 July 2010

Stayed for 4 nights and thoroughly enjoyed everything about our stay. Our host, Christian runs a very well organised, clean and comfortable home-stay style hotel. We stayed in the room at the top of the stairs with the amazing view of the Alhambra. The owner, Christian is very helpful and knowledgable on all aspects of Granada...in fact even before leaving Australia he pointed us in the right direction re trains and flights to and from Granada. Staying in the old Albayzyn area is amazing and central to anything you would wish to do in Granada. Breakfast is very good value and of a high quality. Our only disappointment was that the cherries on the tree in the beautiful courtyard were a couple of days off ripening!!! Also family friendly

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 13 April 2010

This hotel was exactly what we were looking for in a place to stay in Granada - that is, in the Albaicin neighborhood. Strongly recommend that you do not drive to Granada or this hotel (as their website suggests). Granada is a city to walk and/or use public transportation. This small hotel is definitely not handicapped accessible and for mobility challenged people not the place to stay as it is a walk uphill on cobblestone paths to reach. If you have a good map of Granada, you can find it on your own, or the owner will meet you in a nearby main plaza. Again, those who travel with lots of luggage may also want to find other accommodations as you will be carrying bags up the hills.

I believe there are only 4 rooms, and ours had a view of the Alhambra. Again, there are stairs throughout, even to reach the bathroom within the room, so it is not for the physically challenged. There is a lovely courtyard to rest in and the host offered us beverages after a long day visiting the Alhambra. He also allows guests to use a computer in the lobby area, which is handy for email/internet access. Christian speaks at least 3 languages, including English, if that is important to anyone.

The room itself was clean and decorated simply. We were provided breakfast each morning of cereal, toast, juice and coffee.

The host offers his restaurant recommendations, which we tried on occasion, and were overall good, but there are literally hundreds of places to eat in Granada. Overall, I would say this hotel is best for those who like to travel independently and do not require lots of assistance from a concierge, or the like.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family